Want a crazy positive response to your car?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: Want a crazy positive response to your car?

Default Want a crazy positive response to your car?

Pull up to your local hobby shop, and get out and tell them "Hey wana come see my lithium car" ? They will blow you off till you say "Hey, no it's not the latest (insert whatever new radio control car they are racing or high performance helicopter they are flying) It's a real car, you can drive "IN" it"

watch out, you will be MOBBED and will need to take EVERYONE in the shop for a ride.

(For folks that don't know, the Radio Control model industry has been completely transformed for years from lithium battery tech, they know more about cell tech then just about anyone, a good fast, high discharge cell to them is better then crack to an addict"

you will be "the man" on the block, trust me.

haha nice, your next copter needs to be this one:

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CKQBEPMCMAU

harder to fly, but it will progress you to the real deal:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...x_Compat_.html

it's an addiction. once you start you can't stop, wait till you can fly upside down and backwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2m451SbvhE

Advertisement

I attend the NEAT fair in NY every fall. It's a 300+ pilot RC airplane event for only electric powered planes. I would love to bring a Volt to it.
    Pete Foss
    GM R&D
    www.skymasters.org

It's been too long since I 'played' with my electric RC cars - they still have NiCad battery packs in them.
    Next time I'm by the local RC track with "sparky", I'll stop in and have a chat.
    Tuna
    No Volt Now

The R/C racecar people will definitely be amped. Take one for a test drive in "L" and show them how the Volt has dynamic brakes just like their electric R/C cars. (Or slot cars, too.)

Very cool Pete! Hope to see you at a flying field one day, for YEARS I have been thinking "if I can fly a model on lithium why can't I drive!!"

Thank you for making that possible!

I LOVE this car, like no other i've ever owned.

Side point: We use LiPo batteries in R/C instead of Lithium Ion, so that crowd knows a lot about battery fires. LiPo batteries are lighter and more powerful than the chemistry used in the Volt, but they do have a tendancy to blow up and burn your house down if you are not careful when storing and charging them. They sell special fire bags for storing the batteries so that doesn't happen.

This is what I am currently flying -- Mig 29 with twin electric ducted fan with 2 huge LiPo battery packs:

mig29.jpg
    Last edited by spreston; 01-06-2012 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by scottf200 View Post
    That is too funny. I got a gift card over the holiday and bought a $30 RC copter on Amazon. That thing is so much fun and easy to fly.
    On your recommendation just bought one for a friend's son. Looks very cool. There were only five left when I bought it.

Advertisement

RC car enthusiast here. It also got me thinking about the future Volt in 2008 and reading this forum.

My son and I don't race much anymore (he is 16 and finds girls and socializing more interesting now). Got a room full of various scale cars and stuff in my home-office.

The Volt has a Lithium-Ion Polymer pack with various additives such as manganese spinel. Still the same old 3.7V nomical cells more or less except they are 15Ah and not 5Ah as are common in today's RC packs. Spark EV will have 20Ah A123 3.3V nominal LiFePo4 cells. Back in 2008, I was really pulling for A123 to get the Volt contract in 2009 to make the car more "American Made". But today's result is still quite good.

I may go and find a good starter plane this year to change it up a little bit and fly in the backyard. I don't have the eyes/hands to do 3D helicopter stuff.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text