GM Volt Forum banner

My Volt says uses only 10.3 KWh.... used to be 11.5

42K views 55 replies 34 participants last post by  Genecpu 
#1 ·
New to forum, sorry if this has been answered... I have a 2013 Volt. Pretty happy with it, it has almost 38K miles on it. Unfortunately I have noticed that the amount of miles I get from a battery charge seems to have gone down. As far as I recall the 2013 volt has a 11.5 KWh battery, and when I would look at the trip computer it would show the number of miles driven using battery and number miles driven using gas and show number of KWh use on the trip....

For most of the first year the battery would be 'empty' at 11.5 KWh used... This made sense.

Now a days though, I have used the entire battery and the computer reads that I have only used 10.3 KWh. So I was thinking that maybe the battery is degrading... So I think that's ok I have extended warranty.

But I called the volt advisor and they tell me that this is normal that the # of KWh used will go down based on driving behavior.

NOW THIS MAKES NO SENSE TO ME!! I told them I understand that if I am crazy/ fast driver that I will get less MILES out of a full charge. But if I am only getting 10.3 KWh out of a full charge I would think something is wrong.

So am I wrong?

See less See more
#45 ·
Funny Thing! I deleted that message a few minutes after posting! Thanks Whomever ???

Let's get on Gm for the mileage discrepancy! Update our Volts, now they know the true safe battery capacities.. Lawsuits work! Just 2 days ago got a Class Action Notice; Ford is paying most of our $700 sparkplug bill where the trucks 5.4 liter with 3valves,{ fiasco of engineering, and they tried ignoring us} has all the plugs breaking off!

#46 · (Edited)
Let's get on Gm for the mileage discrepancy! Update our Volts, now they know the true safe battery capacities.. Lawsuits work! Just 2 days ago got a Class Action Notice; Ford is paying most of our $700 sparkplug bill where the trucks 5.4 liter with 3valves,{ fiasco of engineering, and they tried ignoring us} has all the plugs breaking off!
GTFOH
That Ford lawsuit was for a defect. There is no such defect on Volt. It delivers everything "as advertised" AND MORE.
So hop down of off that soapbox and shove your silly lawsuit where the sun don't shine.
Everything you are stating regarding your battery and its alleged performance good or bad is completely baseless and beyond ridiculous with zero factual, supportive data of any sort
So like I said, step off...
WOT

#48 ·
Depends how much energy was generated, when you stopped the car and if it 'remembers' which was gas energy vs battery energy.
If you stopped at the high point of the buffer/used MM to charge up and it thinks it's battery upon return, it's going to tally it to battery energy side, even though it came from gas energy.

#54 ·
Truth My 2013, except for the first week of ownership and the day before I brought it in for repairs, always got 10.3 on the T every single time, never varied even once.

The only way I could make it higher was by partially charging or by pre-heating the car when plugged into an outlet.

Ah well, I wish we could easily open up the battery but it means someone needs to hack code.

#55 ·
For what it's worth, this was my 2012 Volt today, with lots of driving this week that had stop and go, downhill grades, and everything in between. This was from Oshawa to Downtown Toronto, during 10 degrees Celsius weather on average.
Note: Late build 2012 with the 16.5 kw/h battery, and in the colder months it would usually hit only 10.5 kw/h usage.
Extra Note: my car has 100,000 kms on it

Untitled by Derek Cutting, on Flickr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.