How to disable and REMOVE Onstar---> because it is spying on you whether its on or o
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 9 LastLast

Thread: How to disable and REMOVE Onstar---> because it is spying on you whether its on or o

Default How to disable and REMOVE Onstar---> because it is spying on you whether its on or o

Hi there, recently there have been very disturbing things in the news about OnStar, like
    1. they will collect data about you including vehicle tracking -->even if you do not use the service.

2.Even if you do not use the service, by court order it can be turned on and track you.

3.I do not want someone to be able through electronic methods to disable my car. Because this power can be misused. Yes if my car is stolen I want the cops to shoot out the robber, but if I am in a rural Texas town, where the sheriff is working with teh Texas Chainsaw killer, then I don't want anyone hacker or cop to be able to disable onstar.

So CAN I REMOVE IT FROM A CHEVY VOLT?

Please see the following videos before making opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGqH5cbYYeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXvkCFwXweU

Move to a remote island.

Seriously, you are being tracked every second of the day. Do you not think that your post above can be tracked right back to your house and your PC? Everything you do is tracked.

Remote off-grid island or treatment for paranoia are really the only 2 options in modern society.

I wish they have Onstar in Australia. There is nothing to worry about. Onstar recently changed their terms and conditions and will not track data from the vehicle once the subscription has been canceled. Like what Spreston said you are being tracked everyday. The government knows how many times you visit McDonald's or by how many times you fill up your car with gas by your EFTPOS receipts and other means. Come on GM, bring Onstar to Australia.

Advertisement

So the above is your first post on the forum ?!?

Quote Originally Posted by student13 View Post
    So CAN I REMOVE IT FROM A CHEVY VOLT?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_1...92-501465.html

So, is there a way to disable OnStar completely? Yes, there is. Whew!

OnStar spokesperson Brynn Guster tweeted, "when you start your service, it is enabled. This does begin until Dec. 1 and you can opt out by calling 1-888-4ONSTAR."

We contacted OnStar to clarify the language on the terms and conditions. The vice president of subscriber services, Joanne Finnorn, told us, "if the customer requests us to turn off the two-way connection, we will do as we have always done, and that is honor customers' requests."

"Our guiding practices regarding sharing our subscribers' personal information have not changed. We are always very specific about with whom we share customers' personal information, and how they will use it. We have never sold any personally identifiable information to any third party," Finnorn said about selling user data.

And if you don't trust onstar enough, you might have your dealer disconnect
    simply pull the plugs from the OnStar Module(VCIM). Then if you ever sell it it can be reconnected.

Somewhat discussed in this thread
    http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread....vation-Failure

If you can locate the module itself you can probably plug and unplug when you want it disabled.
    as described here
    http://chevroletforum.com/forum/hhr-...sabling-13889/
    (but thats for a HHR)
    BoultVolt Red 2011 #3745. More freedom than electric.
    Personal best, 82.1 miles on one charge.

While I'm moderator my job there is to delete spam. To be clear, in my posts I'm speaking as myself. These views are my own and don't represent this board, my university, employer,etc.

The origin of this urban legend is Fox News' Glenn Beck:
    http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/200910220013

So you think OnStar is bad:

1. they will collect data about you including vehicle tracking -->even if you do not use the service.

2. Even if you do not use the service, by court order it can be turned on and track you.
    Okay, make up your mind; now you don't want OnStar turned off:

if I am in a rural Texas town, where the sheriff is working with teh Texas Chainsaw killer, then I don't want anyone hacker or cop to be able to disable onstar.
    The odds of being in a rural Texas town where the sheriff is working with the Texas Chainsaw Killer are remote. It should be further noted that, in any event, OnStar is unlikely to turn itself off at the behest of the Texas Chainsaw Killer.

I see that this is your first post. Okay Glenn, we know it's you

Don't forget to turn off your cell phone. No, better yet, smash it.

I can turn off my phone I cannot turn off OnStar, like cut off power to it, not just disconnect the service. I don't like there is away to track you all the time.

I'm sure there's a fuse that you can remove that cuts power to the Onstar. Check the Volt's manual in the section that describes which fuse does what.
    -doubledave - Volt owner since Jan 2011 - 2011 Volt # 0724

Advertisement

Google "abcnews ginovise cell phone". You may want to take the cell phones battery out.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 1 9 LastLast