GM Volt Forum banner

"Engine Running due to Temperature"

37K views 50 replies 33 participants last post by  saghost 
#1 ·
Multimedia Electronics Technology Car Vehicle

Last week when the morning temp was 25 degrees while driving to work, the display screen showed
"Engine Running Due to Temperature". I called my Volt Advisor who said that the ICE kicks in when the outside temp is below a certain value and this is normal. During my 37 mile trip to work, the ICE ran for about 10 miles. When it was a bit warmer at about 28 degrees in the morning this week, I did not see this screen and the ICE did not kick in.
Now that I think of it, when I got the Volt in April, the temps. probably never got down this low so I did not see this screen then.
Has anyone else seen this happen at Cold Temps?

Paul S.
Red Volt# 2169

See less See more
#2 ·
Have not had that happen yet. Only got down to 29 yesterday. However yesterday my car did tell me to "Drive Safely as There May Be Ice On The Roads." Or something to that effect. What made the situation humorous was that I had a sheet of ice on the windshield, so it should not have included the "may ice" in my opinion. All I could do was laugh as I sat there waiting for the windshield to defrost with the message displayed on the DIC. :D

#3 ·
I haven't seen it yet, it has only gotten down to about 28 here, but it is well known. I wonder - if you pre-heat the car while plugged in, would it avoid the ICE until it gets signficantly colder outside? I would hope the temp of the battery itself would be taken into account, not just the ambient temperature.

#6 ·
Nope, its all about ambient temp (and after the ice runs the coolant temperatures).

Now if Only I could find that temp sensor so I could give it its own little heater.

Scott;s already posted other treads.. so much you can read there.

#4 ·
This is normal operation. When the ambient tempurature in the engine gets to 25 degrees, it starts the engine to help protect the vehicle from being damaged.

It's pretty annoying for those folks that count MPG like a religion (a lot of us). But it's really for the health of the car and is a good idea.

#5 ·
#7 ·
View attachment 4101

Last week when the morning temp was 25 degrees while driving to work, the display screen showed
"Engine Running Due to Temperature". I called my Volt Advisor who said that the ICE kicks in when the outside temp is below a certain value and this is normal. During my 37 mile trip to work, the ICE ran for about 10 miles. When it was a bit warmer at about 28 degrees in the morning this week, I did not see this screen and the ICE did not kick in.
Now that I think of it, when I got the Volt in April, the temps. probably never got down this low so I did not see this screen then.
Has anyone else seen this happen at Cold Temps?

Paul S.
Red Volt# 2169

In Colorado, it has been colder for a while. I see this regularly, but am glad it happens as opposed to the car just dropping my range like other EVs would do. This happens any time that the ambient temperature drops below 26F to warm up the battery. The ICE will run for a few minutes until the engine coolant temperature gets up over some set level (I have read on this site that it is 100F or so). This is done to keep the battery (that likes to run at 72F) operating at its most efficient.

From my experience, pre-conditioning does not change anything and it is based upon the ambient temperature and not the core temp of the battery. I keep my Volt in a garage that stays pretty warm (~40F) even whrn it is cold (-12F a couple of weeks ago). When it is really cold, it takes a few minutes of driving for the ambient temperature sensor (shown on the center stack) to drop to 25F, but as soon as it does, the ICE kicks in.

If you live in a cold area, you will use a little gas. Mine takes beween 0.03 and 0.07 gallons per "warm up" cycle. It usually only happens once on my 12 mile commute unless it is really cold and then it might be twice. The ICE will come back on if the coolant temp drops back down o some level (I don't know what that temp is).

#8 ·
The ICE will come back on if the coolant temp drops back down o some level (I don't know what that temp is).
Goto my post above!

#13 ·
Not all CO is that cold. (Gleso must live up higher to get -14F.. my cold for the season is 5F and I live at 7200ft).
Today in the springs its 32 and sunny (feels warmer) and tomorrow mid 40s and sunny. But we can get some dramatic swings, have seen 50degree swings in 24hrs, and 40 degree swings occur regularly.

But I see my "engine running for temp" cause it to run about 1m from home, again after 3-4 miles, after 4-5 more and 4-5 more. Once in 12 miles is less. Maybe its because I'm doing highway driving (maybe higher speeds == faster cooling == faster restart).

#10 ·
Just confirming all the observations made here previously. ICE runs briefly at 25 deg F and then intermittently as needed thereafter. This behavior seems unaffected by garage temperature prior to driving. My garage stays about 50 deg F and it does take a few minutes for the temp sensor to get down to 25 after I get underway. The Owners Manual does a reasonably good job of describing all of the DIC messages.

#11 ·
Can tBoult or anyone else elaborate on this? [Does the ICE ever get warm enough to help with cabin heating?]

I read somewhere on gm-volt yesterday that keeping the cabin warmer, in turn, kept the battery warmer and it helped keep the range up. Two separate issues I know.. but it seems as though... if the ICE could come on the moment you start the car... it could warm the batteries, boost the cabin temp and then go back into "stand by"... every one (driver & pass) and everything (ICE, batteries, windows, cabin, ??) would be happiest!!
*sigh. Just another reason I wish the Volt had a "hold" button so at least you could try it!
Sunny and 82 here in Hawaii today :)

#12 ·
I pointed out this post content above in this threads post #5. Since no one can click a hyperlink I'll post it here:

ICE may run per design for extra cabin heat.

GM tech blogs
TIP: In cold conditions below 25°F (-4°C), the engine may run periodically even when the battery is charged to provide supplemental cabin heat as well as to heat the high voltage battery. The ENGINE RUNNING DUE TO TEMPERATURE message will be displayed in the Driver Information Center (DIC). Also, in hot temperatures, the electrically-driven air conditioning compressor will operate more often, using more energy.

<snip>

At ambient temperatures of approximately 25° F (-4° C) or below, the ICE will operate to assist in warming the coolant used to warm the vehicle's cabin. After the coolant temperature reaches approximately 150° F (65° C), the ICE will turn off and remain off (as long as the battery state of charge is sufficient) until the engine coolant temperature drops to approximately 104° F (40° C), at which time the ICE will restart. This function will continue as long as the ambient temperature is approximately 25° F (-4° C) or less while driving. After the ambient temperature rises above approximately 25° F (-4° C), the vehicle will resume normal electric operation (as long as the battery state of charge is sufficient).

#21 ·
I'm in Arizona and a week and a half ago we were down to 9 degees here. I loved it when the ICE came on, my heater has never worked so well. :p

#22 ·
"Now if Only I could find that temp sensor so I could give it its own little heater."

that"s a classic haha --- Hysteresis FTW

#26 ·
Yeah the first cycle is triggered by falling from 26 degrees to 25 degrees. It doesn't matter what the water temperature is. Which is the only thing I don't like. You could be running the thing in comfort and that coolant could be snug as a bug. But when that number ticks down to 25, it's going to run your engine regardless.

I understand the engine running to keep everything in proper working order. It's good for the car's health and makes sense. But when it's not technically necessary and it does it any way, that's annoying.

#28 ·
If your car is MY 2013 or later you can opt to lower the trigger temperature to 15° F in the CONFIG menu.

#31 ·
Yep I've been getting "Engine Running due to Temperature" for the last few days as well, at 2°C (35°F).

I have a roundtrip commute of 124 km or 78 mi so I burn gas anyways. Curiously enough, and I haven't confirmed this yet, I seem to actually be getting better overall mileage each day with the engine running a little bit here and there.

#37 ·
I drive beyond AER every day, and at first it seemed I was getting better overall fuel economy (i.e. 1.5 L/100km vs. 2.5) with the engine running due to temperature than without. What I mean is, if the temperature is 1 degree C and the ERDTT is cycling the engine on and off to warm the cabin, I get better overall fuel economy than at 3 degrees when the engine doesn't come on until the battery is depleted.

I suppose that would make sense since there's nothing magical about 2 degrees C.

#40 ·
It is 35F. At least it was for me yesterday. That was my first opportunity to experience it as it was the first day below 35F this season for us. Switching to "Very Cold" so I can give my electric heat a good test.

#44 ·
For short trips in cold weather I'm going to try the following settings.
1. Disable ICE while plugged in. I'm using a level 2 charger so that should be enough energy for cabin pre-heating.
2. Set ICE to run while driving to the Very Cold setting.

This I think should keep the ICE from running at all which is fine since I don't care much about heat for a 10 minute drive.

Am I right on this?

#46 ·
I believe if the Very Cold setting is used, the temp is 15 and not 25 for the ERDTLT (assuming MY2013 or MY2014).

#47 ·
#51 ·
It depends on your commute and your priorities. If your commute will still be covered by the AER with the heater wide open (under 25 miles, possibly less than that in really bad weather,) or if you're more concerned by gas use than being comfortable, set it to 15F and stay electric.

If you'd have to use some gas to finish your trips and aren't interested in sacrificing comfort for trivial savings in gas, set it to 35F and let the car burn a little gas on every trip. It won't be much, and it will let you be comfortable while using your battery for propulsion instead of heat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.