"Engine Running due to Temperature"
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 6 LastLast

Thread: "Engine Running due to Temperature"

Default "Engine Running due to Temperature"

ENGINE RUNNING PHOTO.jpg

Last week when the morning temp was 25 degrees while driving to work, the display screen showed
    "Engine Running Due to Temperature". I called my Volt Advisor who said that the ICE kicks in when the outside temp is below a certain value and this is normal. During my 37 mile trip to work, the ICE ran for about 10 miles. When it was a bit warmer at about 28 degrees in the morning this week, I did not see this screen and the ICE did not kick in.
    Now that I think of it, when I got the Volt in April, the temps. probably never got down this low so I did not see this screen then.
    Has anyone else seen this happen at Cold Temps?

Paul S.
    Red Volt# 2169

Have not had that happen yet. Only got down to 29 yesterday. However yesterday my car did tell me to "Drive Safely as There May Be Ice On The Roads." Or something to that effect. What made the situation humorous was that I had a sheet of ice on the windshield, so it should not have included the "may ice" in my opinion. All I could do was laugh as I sat there waiting for the windshield to defrost with the message displayed on the DIC.
    2012 Nissan Leaf SL #16790
    2012 Chevy Volt #2395
    Others: 2005 Chevy Trailblazer LT; 2012 Chrysler 300 SRT-8

I haven't seen it yet, it has only gotten down to about 28 here, but it is well known. I wonder - if you pre-heat the car while plugged in, would it avoid the ICE until it gets signficantly colder outside? I would hope the temp of the battery itself would be taken into account, not just the ambient temperature.
    DavidV

Volt #2093 Crystal Red 48,218 miles 5816 gas miles 314 lifetime MPG

Advertisement

This is normal operation. When the ambient tempurature in the engine gets to 25 degrees, it starts the engine to help protect the vehicle from being damaged.

It's pretty annoying for those folks that count MPG like a religion (a lot of us). But it's really for the health of the car and is a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidV View Post
    I haven't seen it yet, it has only gotten down to about 28 here, but it is well known. I wonder - if you pre-heat the car while plugged in, would it avoid the ICE until it gets signficantly colder outside? I would hope the temp of the battery itself would be taken into account, not just the ambient temperature.
    Nope, its all about ambient temp (and after the ice runs the coolant temperatures).

Now if Only I could find that temp sensor so I could give it its own little heater.

Scott;s already posted other treads.. so much you can read there.
    BoultVolt Red 2011 #3745. More freedom than electric.
    Personal best, 82.1 miles on one charge.

While I'm moderator my job there is to delete spam. To be clear, in my posts I'm speaking as myself. These views are my own and don't represent this board, my university, employer,etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Slazas View Post
    Attachment 4101

Last week when the morning temp was 25 degrees while driving to work, the display screen showed
    "Engine Running Due to Temperature". I called my Volt Advisor who said that the ICE kicks in when the outside temp is below a certain value and this is normal. During my 37 mile trip to work, the ICE ran for about 10 miles. When it was a bit warmer at about 28 degrees in the morning this week, I did not see this screen and the ICE did not kick in.
    Now that I think of it, when I got the Volt in April, the temps. probably never got down this low so I did not see this screen then.
    Has anyone else seen this happen at Cold Temps?

Paul S.
    Red Volt# 2169

In Colorado, it has been colder for a while. I see this regularly, but am glad it happens as opposed to the car just dropping my range like other EVs would do. This happens any time that the ambient temperature drops below 26F to warm up the battery. The ICE will run for a few minutes until the engine coolant temperature gets up over some set level (I have read on this site that it is 100F or so). This is done to keep the battery (that likes to run at 72F) operating at its most efficient.

From my experience, pre-conditioning does not change anything and it is based upon the ambient temperature and not the core temp of the battery. I keep my Volt in a garage that stays pretty warm (~40F) even whrn it is cold (-12F a couple of weeks ago). When it is really cold, it takes a few minutes of driving for the ambient temperature sensor (shown on the center stack) to drop to 25F, but as soon as it does, the ICE kicks in.

If you live in a cold area, you will use a little gas. Mine takes beween 0.03 and 0.07 gallons per "warm up" cycle. It usually only happens once on my 12 mile commute unless it is really cold and then it might be twice. The ICE will come back on if the coolant temp drops back down o some level (I don't know what that temp is).
    Silver Ice Metallic - C4463
    VoltStats.net Details for Gieso's Volt

Brrrrrr you guys need to move ! LOL 62F and partly cloudy here.
    Diamond White #B2140 ecosister plate=SLRRYDER
    Crystal Red #C8885, Red-Rider plate=NO2OPEC
    Only 50 gallons purchased, fully charged off Solar , Keeping the utilities at bay.
    DRIVING for FREE! NO OPEC FEE!

My TED 5000 power monitoring

Advertisement

Just confirming all the observations made here previously. ICE runs briefly at 25 deg F and then intermittently as needed thereafter. This behavior seems unaffected by garage temperature prior to driving. My garage stays about 50 deg F and it does take a few minutes for the temp sensor to get down to 25 after I get underway. The Owners Manual does a reasonably good job of describing all of the DIC messages.
    BILL GERTH
    Jefferson City, MO
    2012 VOLT (VIN.........CU106509) Delivered 11/2/2011

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 6 LastLast