Clipper Creek Chargers
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clipper Creek Chargers

Default Clipper Creek Chargers

Anyone install the Clipper Creek LCS-25 Level 2 charger in their home? Thinking of going with this charger and curious if anyone had any positive or negative feedback. Thanks.

The only real issue is they are rated for the full 32 amps necessary to support "true" Level 2. So unless you already have a 200+ amp main panel in your home (with room for a 40A double breaker) or a sub-panel in your garage- then be prepared for potential costs for electrical upgrades to support it including larger cabling/conduits etc. (even though the Volt itself only techncially requires a 20A circuit breaker for 3.3kw) Correct me if I'm wrong but I dont believe the Clipper Creek EVSEs are not configurable or "strappable" to anything lass than 32A.
    (unless somethings changed)

WopOnTour
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 12-16-2011 at 10:44 AM.
    Follow the Chevy Volt on Twitter! @WopOnTour

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejuice71 View Post
    Anyone install the Clipper Creek LCS-25 Level 2 charger in their home? Thinking of going with this charger and curious if anyone had any positive or negative feedback. Thanks.
    I have the LCS-25 charger installed, and it has worked fine for me. I got it through MetroPlug-In (http://www.metroplugin.com/) of Atlanta. MetroPlug-In also arranged for the installation, and it was all uneventful and well done. I had open positions in my breaker box, and they installed two 25 amp breakers.

Advertisement

I compared the Cllipper Creek with the SPX Power Express. They both have a similar, small profile that I needed for mounting the unit inside a theft protection cage. I went with the Power Express because it can tolerate a slightly wider ambient temperature range.
    2012-01688

Sounds good. Metro Plug-in is who I've talked to and have an appointment for a quote. Greg at Metro is a good guy, & said its $650 for install unless tech has to do something unusual as part of the install. I'll let you know what happens.

Default LCS-25 & Metroplugin

After researching I decided to go with the LCS-25 as well. Greg at MetroPlug-In helped me clarify some issues around the NEC 625.23 code regarding a lockable disconnect. The unit itself was pricey at $995.00 plus sales tax and shipping. However, my install was a snap and took the electrician ony 45 minutes. The install was completed yesterday, 2/13/12.

I had my clipper creek lcs-25 installed today by Metroplugin and one of their install affiliates, Pat Murphy Electric. So far, I've got nothing but high praise for both companies. The service tech, Paul Thompson, did an excellent job and honored their price quote even though it was a bit more work than originally planned (not too much more though).

The clipper creek unit is small and seems to do the job so far. There doesn't appear to be an LED on the plug for illumination, but that's not a big deal.

Anyway, I imagine you can find someone to do the job for less money, but unless something goes horribly wrong, I recommend both companies highly. I have no affiliation with either companyr.

The LCS-25 looks like a nice basic unit. How much did the unit cost?

It's in the $900s...so i guess relatively pricey.

Advertisement

The LCS-25 was recently lowered to $795.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast