When is the %&^$# Service Manual for the Volt Going to Be Availlable?????
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Thread: When is the %&^$# Service Manual for the Volt Going to Be Availlable?????

Default When is the %&^$# Service Manual for the Volt Going to Be Availlable?????

Even the 2011 isn't available yet! I need it to see how the front head restraints are removed! Come on GM, release it to Helm already!!!!

I have found the Volt Advisors to be very helpful. Have you tried asking yours about this? Of course, I would avoid swearing at them.
    2011 Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Bose, Nav, Htd Seats, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 85,558 miles, 125 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 38%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 966 miles, 108
    MPG, 62% Electric, 38% gas, Saved 33 gal., 31 kW-hr/100 miles
    Hidden Content Free Volt Manual here: Hidden Content

Helm Inc had the 2011 Service Manual available since April (I posted that link first), but some time later the Manual was not available. Someone else here in this forum posted that GM had to update the information on the 2011 manual for a reprint, so the delay is due to GM. The 2012 manual hasn't been available, either.

Please be patient. I have bought all of my GM Service Manuals since 1967 through Helm (previously named as Lansing Lithographers) at least a year after the vehicle was on the market, and all were ordered by mail (ordering through the World Wide Web arrived much later), and the shipment takes time. Use your dealer if your need is urgent.
    Raymond
    No Volt or Bolt EV yet!

2009 Chevrolet Equinox 2LT
    Level 2 JuiceBox EVSE installed at 7.2 kW
    Registered EVSE at PlugShare
    Waiting for the first EV to charge!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

I didn't realize that the service manual was available at one time. Thanks for clearing that up. Hopefully, they'll get everything reprinted soon. Ford has a wonderful service where you can "rent" the service manuals online for a one month period for $10.00. I wish GM had the same service. I would sure save on paper! Or, if they'd sell the service manual on CD-ROM for $75.00 or something. The only other alternative is to buy the very very very expensive DVD that contains ALL the service manuals (that I don't need since I only have a Volt).

For the head restraints in my Volt, they come out just like the head restraints in any other car. Each restraint has 2 metal tubes that slip into the seat back. Just like other cars I've owned, there's 1 button at the edge of one of the 2 holes that allows you to release the restraint and pull it up and out of the seat back. I just did this recently to put an iPad Frame on the back of my seat.

Perhaps you need more detailed instructions for some special project, but in case the above would suffice, I figured I'd add my 2 cents.

I remember a post here where there's a little release on one of the posts that you have to press to get them out. It's not the one you use to adjust the height, it's another one (on the other post maybe?) on the side opposite the height-adjusting one. Try search?

Sorry I'm not more helpful...
    Ron C. / Portlandia-area (which is tough on a Chicagoan, let me tell you!)
    2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat Volt C8794, acquired 11/08/2011

The front headrests come out a little different. I removed mine to install some seat back protectors for my kids. Using these directions are at your own risk, or installing anything aftermarket at your own risk.

If you move the headrest up to the top of it's shaft, then unscrew the black plastic pieces against the seat, now you have access into the seat cover. Here's where it gets tricky. Each shaft has a little external c clip of sorts, buried down in that black piece you see there, there is a loop on one side (I think it's on the left if you are sitting in the back seat), which you need to pry gently away from the shaft, which will let the chrome shaft slide up a little. I used a small screwdriver, you can see the possibility of ruining the leather, so it's really risky. While holding that side up, you need to do the other side. Using your octopus arms (or a friend maybe), or if you are really slick, you can get the other one loose, and the whole headrest will slide out the top. I hope you remembered to put the driver's seat all the way down if you had it jacked up, as there is not enough room to remove the headrest if it's up. Ask me how I found this out, the hard way.
    2013 Volt #D8115
    Formerly 2011 Volt #B1514

Thanks RedVolt! That did it!

For the other two posters (Ron C and pavers123), the front seat headrests are totally different than the rear seat headrests. The rear seat headrest removal is documented (albeit poorly) in the owners manual. The front headrests are removed only with difficulty as Red Volt's posting reveals. Uh, I'm not sure pavers123, but that's not how my Volt's front headrest is configured.

I wish they came out easier. In my accord, when the kids were little (I mean like babies) and we took trips to grandma's house (over the river and through the woods), my wife would ride in the back seat on the passenger side and take care of the kids (bottles, etc) as it was just easier. I'd remove the front headrest (they came out easy) and place it on the front floor, so she could see forward (and not get as carsick) and talk to me easier. I think it's a mistake on GM's part to do this, though I can see why they might. And the rear headrests, they should just make them easier, that little button is just plain dumb, and the manual isn't that great on it. This should be something the Dealer goes over every owner with as it's tricky (the rear seat rests, I'm sure they will not do it for the front....).
    2013 Volt #D8115
    Formerly 2011 Volt #B1514

12. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Red Volt View Post
    I wish they came out easier. In my accord, when the kids were little (I mean like babies) and we took trips to grandma's house (over the river and through the woods), my wife would ride in the back seat on the passenger side and take care of the kids (bottles, etc) as it was just easier. I'd remove the front headrest (they came out easy) and place it on the front floor, so she could see forward (and not get as carsick) and talk to me easier. I think it's a mistake on GM's part to do this, though I can see why they might. And the rear headrests, they should just make them easier, that little button is just plain dumb, and the manual isn't that great on it. This should be something the Dealer goes over every owner with as it's tricky (the rear seat rests, I'm sure they will not do it for the front....).
    The thing is the headrest is an important element of an integrated safety system. They are technically not there for comfort. So the problem with making them easily removable, is they might not get properly reinstalled and adjusted when an adult occupant is back sitting in that seating position .
    In a rear-ender the lack of a headrest (or improperly adjusted) can result in severe neck/spinal injuries. So there is a trend to make them a more permanant fixture within the seat assembly and/or potentially even part of an "active" headrest mechanism that moves the pad a bit forward when a rear collision occurs and the body is kinematically "planted" into the backrest during the event.
    So right or wrong the rationale from a car company perspective is - safety first, convenience second.
    HTH
    WOT
    Last edited by WopOnTour; 12-13-2011 at 08:07 PM.
    Welcome Hidden Content as our latest forum vendor!

Follow the Chevy Volt and other GM electrified cars on Twitter! Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text