Who else is/was afflicted by this ailment?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast

Thread: Who else is/was afflicted by this ailment?

Cool Who else is/was afflicted by this ailment?

When I first purchased the Volt, I envisioned it being my daily driver to work. My roundtrip commute is 17 miles, so I was thinking I would just about never use any gas! A little while after purchase I sat down with the wife, it was agreed she'd take the Volt on M/W/F since she had to shuttle the kids to preschool those days and would drive up to 40 miles. I would drive the Volt to work Tu/Th. That made the most sense as it would minimize gas usage. The other person would take the ICE'er the other days (GMC Terrain).

Then a few weeks later she came to me and said "I don't like the way the Terrain drives! It doesn't have any power and the engine sound is annoying. And I don't like switching cars every other day! I'm taking the Volt M-F!". It was at that time I was afflicted with "Thewifestolemyvolt" disease.

I (mostly) cured myself by getting her to agree to swap the GMC for a Cmax Energi (2nd car needed to have 5 seats, decent storage, and 20+ mile range, and the Cmax winded up the winner). Now we both have EVs that will cover the bulk of our normal driving without having to burn any gas!
    Last edited by bro1999; 03-21-2014 at 06:28 AM.
    2012 - #25656 - Black
    Voltstats link

haha funny.. I haven't had to worry about that yet ^_^ A co-worker of mine has the cmax and I was suprised at how much space that battery takes up.

Hi bro,

I have the same problem with my wife, but she doesn't want us to get rid of our old Opel Astra break because of its towing capacity, our Ampera has no towing capacity, so I proposed her to buy a Volvo V60 PHEV. But when she saw the V60 price, she said "no, I want to keep our savings safe".
    So "Thewifestolemyvolt" disease is still on at home and I impatiently a await for both prices to decrease and towing capacity to be added to new EV models.
    JC J Ampera Sovereign Grey VIN 14636

Advertisement

My wife stole my ipad, but she hasn't stolen my Volt yet, but I t's only a matter of time...
    LLninja

2013 White Diamond Tricoat with silver turquoise chameleon dipped grille
    2004 CTS with rare 5 speed manual transmission

...and way too many ICE vehicles

We now have two Volts, two 240v EVSE's, I'm sure you get the picture . . .
    ----------------------------------------
    Volt #2243

Might as well give in. The only cure for "Thewifestolemyvolt" disease is another EV-capable vehicle, like a Volt. After she had been driving mine for a while, and seeing how it performed when she hit a deer, my wife was convinced she wanted one of her own. Happy wife, happy life.
    #B2380, 2011 Crystal Red. Born 3/18/2011, adopted 4/9/2011
    #B2733, 2011 White Diamond. Born 4/4/2011, foster care 5/2/2011, adopted 11/29/2012
    - The FAQ -- answers to your Frequently Asked Questions about the Volt - Click Here! - maintained by ChrisC

My wife & I alternate weeks with the Volt for commuting. This was my week but it was in the shop getting the stator bearing fix, so I had to drive the BMW M3, which I still enjoy immensely for entirely different reasons!
    --Jim
    2013 Crystal Red, PB Leather, D-35182
    '02 BMW M3 | '03 BMW R1100S | '09 Honda Element

haha! Great story.

On my recent road trip, my wife kept asking if i wanted her to take over.

"I'm okay."

Our household got hit with this bug last summer. This is what the doctor recommended

His and Her's
    Last edited by BAZINGA; 03-21-2014 at 10:50 AM.
    Tom
    USAF Retired
    My garage
    2014 Lime Rock Green Stingray
    2013 Cyber Gray Volt
    Best EV Range 54.x miles (more than once)

Advertisement

It's actually a fairly common problem on the forum - and a testament to what a great car the Volt is, I suppose.

I'm still amazed that EVs aren't selling better given how quickly they convert the people who drive them for a while and how low the TCOs are getting (surely most people can see past the initial price to the total ownership cost, right?)
    Last edited by saghost; 03-21-2014 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Swypo
    Walter
    C4884 - White Diamond, purchased 10/15/11

Volt FAQ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 4 LastLast