GM Volt Forum banner

BMW i3 rEx review

6K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  petefoss 
#1 ·
One of the better reviews:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/bmw/i3/verdict

An excerpt from the verdict:

It’s the range extender version of the new BMW i3 that aids it in earning its four star-rating here.

Were it purely an electric vehicle, it would look, as so many do, expensive and of limited usability, but the filler cap allows it a chance to be your go-anywhere only vehicle while retaining an electric range as strong as most pure EVs, should that be how you want to use it.

Going electric on a budget? This is as good as it gets. Better with petrol engine included
We’d prefer its fuel tank to be bigger than that of a scooter, but its mere existence buys the i3 credibility.

That backs up the i3’s other undoubted drawcards: its attractive design, alluring interior, sprightly performance and, best of all, the fact that it has what it takes to appeal to people who like driving cars.

They are rare, these cars. Tesla does it, and now BMW does it too: making an EV for those who take pleasure from cars and driving.

Alternatives such as the Vauxhall Ampera may offer considerably more room, but have far less charm and lack the premium edge that the BMW commands.

The BMW i3 is as worthy as any EV, but it is one whose soul exists to be enjoyed, not just endured.

See less See more
#2 ·
"charm and premium edge" - you pay quite a bit more for that.
In the USA, Volt offers far more for the money than the i3 other than electric range.

#3 ·
Going electric on a budget? This is as good as it gets. Better with petrol engine included
We’d prefer its fuel tank to be bigger than that of a scooter, but its mere existence buys the i3 credibility.
On a budget?! Since when is $41k on a budget? Especially when you can get a Spark EV for about $25k.

#4 ·
Replace BMW i3 with Volt and they just described the Volt. Funny how they don't even mention the Volt, but Tesla. Seems you need to get compared to a Tesla to have any street cred.....

#5 ·
It's not even clear from the article that they drove the car! And from some early reports, it's possible that the range extender gets horrible mileage. Still waiting to see what the EPA has to say about it. IMO, this car as a rEX alternative to the Volt is probably not a smart choice in the end.

#8 ·
Yes they drove the car and reported that they got as little as 68 miles on battery but averaged 75 miles. Then they said they got 40 mpg on the range extender. From all of the reviews I've read, the rex version should be able to take long trips just like the Volt as long as you don't mind stopping every 80 miles or so for a tank of gas (or carrying a 2 gallon gas tank in the back) The Volt might perform better at higher speeds, but apparently neither car can take a long mountain grade at full speed unless there is sufficient charge in the battery pack.

#7 ·
Yeah they mentioned the Ampera and slammed all in one sentence. The BMW I3 I saw in Chicago at the Autoshow was not impressive and the car they brought was poorly assembled and locked. I am not sure what junk pile they brought to the show but it was most certainly a poor example and I am not sure it was anything but a test mule. I wouldnt buy one.

#17 ·
I've yet to see a review where the I3 is driven on the range extender and the battery completely depleted. You can't get a sense of what it's like if the range extender is turned on before the battery is depleted because the battery is delivering all the power you need and the range extender is simply doing what it can to recharge the battery. Others have said the range extended is capable of only 20 kw less than half the Volt's 55 kw. Since the I3 weighs about 600 pounds less than the Volt but has more drag I don't believe there is enough power for sustained highway speeds, at least not European highway speeds of 82 MPH, and certainly not enough power to climb the Alps. In addition if BME allows the I3 to dip to a low SOC then there wouldn't be any power buffer to support any form of acceleration.

Here's a link to some I3 range extender specifications.

http://www.carfolio.com/specifications/models/car/?car=349910

My take is it is a very good BEV, but I suspect a really lousy extended range EV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.