Scary alarm while charging
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scary alarm while charging

This happened to me. The circuit was not totally dedicated and the outlet was bad. You can try charging in the reduced mode by pushing the red bar on the charger so that only two red lights show instead of four.

Yup, rereading your post and the replies it is probably the loss-of-charge alarm. (I've never had that one).
    There are 2 possible issues, one is overdrawing the other is loss of power. Obviously if the external power dipped or went off there is not much you can do. (My company in colorado springs looses power or get a low-voltage condition 2-3 time a month.. I know cause my servers yell at me or worse).

If its overdrawing because of other things on the circuit, you might be able to temporarily ameliorate it by charging at lower current. If you want to charge in lower-current level, you need to not be plugged into the car, push the orange button until only 2 lights are showing, then you can plug it into the car. You cannot get it into low-current mode while its plugged into the car.
    BoultVolt Red 2011 #3745Hidden Content More freedom than electric.
    Personal best, Hidden Content

While I'm moderator my job there is to delete spam. To be clear, in my posts I'm speaking as myself. These views are my own and don't represent this board, my university, employer,etc.

The voltage may have dropped briefly below 208v which can cause it or the wire going into the circuit may be loose causing the circuit to overheat and shut off. Check to see if the circuit is hot to the touch while charging or if you hear crackling behind it. If so, get it reconnected and the circuit checked. Attached is my car alarm video for those that haven't heard it yet. Different from what you're talking about.

http://youtu.be/k-w8dG7G6Fc

MrEnergyCzar
    Gen 2 - 2016 Volt Premium 17K miles
    Gen 1 - 2012 Volt 73K miles

My Chevy Volt Videos: Hidden Content | Hidden Content |
    ................................Hidden Content | Hidden Content |

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by airphettie View Post
    Im hoping someone can give me some insight into what my car just did. I had it charging at all of the sudden I heard the horn making a sound, sorta like the pedestrian warning sound over and over. The charger was flashing red so I unplug the charger and after another few minutes the car stopped the honking noise.
    The horn & lights usually means that there was a charge power interruption. (Your AC power was interrupted.) If you have the charger plugged into an extension cord make sure it is at least 14 gauge wire and has good quality connectors on it. (12 gauge wire has even less voltage drop and is safer.) Otherwise... I would definitely have the circuit checked out. If the outlet is worn or corroded it might actually arc. Also the circuit breaker might be arcing or overheating. Have the circuit checked out by a licensed electrician.

I want to clarify something. So if the Volt is charging and the charge cord theft alert is turned on. If you unplug it, the Volt will honk the horn. But if the Volt is plugged in and the charger looses power it will activate the softer pedestrian alert and flashing headlights. Is this correct?

Yep, the louder theft alert only alarms if the vehicle is locked and you unplug the J1772 from the car. The softer power loss alert starts if the EVSE loses power as when unplugged from a wall outlet, power outage, fault, etc.

That's why when I charge at work my EV courtesy card gives other EV owners needing a charge permission to unplug me from the wall and not the vehicle. Of course now that I've disabled both alerts it doesn't really matter but I still prefer them not to unplug me from the vehicle end...
    Volt C-5274 Delivered 10/16/2011 | See my Hidden Content | Find me at Hidden Content

Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Joule Thief View Post
    Yep, the louder theft alert only alarms if the vehicle is locked and you unplug the J1772 from the car. The softer power loss alert starts if the EVSE loses power as when unplugged from a wall outlet, power outage, fault, etc.

That's why when I charge at work my EV courtesy card gives other EV owners needing a charge permission to unplug me from the wall and not the vehicle. Of course now that I've disabled both alerts it doesn't really matter but I still prefer them not to unplug me from the vehicle end...
    Awesome. Thanks for clearing this up Joule Thief. Its good to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Joule Thief View Post
    ... what you experienced is the "Charge Power Loss Alert", which is a little different than the "Charge Cord Theft Alert". As you noted, the power loss alert sounds a low volume continuous chirp similar to the pedestrian chirp but over and over (not likely to upset the neighbors but certainly can get irritating). This indicates that for some reason power from your EVSE was lost, either a fault in your EVSE itself or the power supply to your EVSE was interrupted.

The theft alert on the other hand only occurs when your car is locked and the J1772 connector is unplugged from the car which results in a full blown horn alarm that scares the $h!t out of you when you're standing next to the car! If you have a 2012 Volt, each alert can be turned on or off from the config menu as follows:

Configuration > Vehicle Settings > Comfort & Convenience > Charge Power Loss Alert > Check/Uncheck

Configuration > Vehicle Settings > Comfort & Convenience > Charge Cord Theft Alert > Check/Uncheck

I've disabled both on my Volt. I use a wall switch to go between my EVSE and electric dryer so I kept triggering the power loss alert when switching to my dryer while my EVSE was plugged in which got really annoying fast. I also unplugged my J1772 a couple times before unlocking the car and setting of the louder alarm so both are now disabled and as stephent said I just rely on the OnStar alerts to let me know if my charging has been interrupted or my vehicle unplugged.
    I'm quoting the entire post by Joule Thief above because it's a great write up of this feature and I'm going to point to this post from the FAQ.

I had one more bit to add to this. The above instructions apply to the 2012 model year Volt. For the 2011 model year, you need to have the dealer make the change. They use the GM computer system (GDS2) that they connect to the car for service.

So, this week I brought my 2011 Volt into the dealer to have a few things done, including the tweaks above. They were able to make the "Charge Cord Theft Alert" change, however they were unable to make the "Charge Power Loss Alert" change. Apparently there is a GM bulletin ( PIC5564 / DocID 2726493 ) that explicitly says they can't disable that one.

So my neighbors and I will have to live with the nuisance honking every time a storm rolls through and kills our power!
    Last edited by ChrisC; 04-15-2012 at 11:40 PM.
    2011 Volt #284, ordered 30-Jul-2010, built 30-Nov-2010, shipped 15-Dec-2010, delivery 22-Dec-2010, lease return 22-Dec-2013, Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - do yourself a favor and register at Hidden Content immediately so you can track your Volt's performance

Glad I got a 2012 then, as you can just turn that alarm off in the config stuff in the stack. The way my solar system is set up, the power to the EVSE is switched on only when my house battery voltage is high. This starts the charge about 10 am, and it cycles a few times during the morning till the sun gets to all my solar panels - it would be doing that 6 or 10 times a day if I couldn't turn that alarm off.

But since I did, everything works fine. Well, almost. With intermittent power feed, the car can't really tell you when it's going to reach full charge, and you get a warning on the DIC when you open the door to check it. But everything works fine anyway.

Boring movie of one of those cycles here:
    http://www.coultersmithing.com/forum...3&p=3634#p3578

Note, no horn action when it shuts off power. It still chirps when the power comes back on, just the "one ping only" which isn't annoying here, but might be in some dense city.
    Volt #5014, White. All off grid solar powered. My sci-tech boards:
    Hidden Content

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text