An Open Letter from Volt Owners: “Why are Chevy Volt Owners Keeping Their Keys?”
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 6 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 59

Thread: An Open Letter from Volt Owners: “Why are Chevy Volt Owners Keeping Their Keys?”

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    2

    Default An Open Letter from Volt Owners: “Why are Chevy Volt Owners Keeping Their Keys?”

    To Whom It May Concern:

    In light of the recent news stories in the press concerning the Chevy Volt, the Volt owners would like to set the record straight.

    We are keeping the keys to our Volt. We love our Volt and we feel safe driving our Volt.

    We have done our homework and we know that we know that there is no other car that offers all the advantages of a Volt. We take pleasure in the smooth driving experience. We get a thrill from the high torque performance. We feel at ease in its comfortable elegance. Perhaps most of all, we love the convenience and affordability of driving on electricity everyday and having the option of a back-up gas generator for long distances. This is the beauty of extended-range electric drive – it’s fun, it’s fast, and it’s the future that’s available today.

    Volt owners are glad that NHTSA, GM, and other manufacturers have developed protocols to handle electric cars in a variety of circumstances. This is standard procedure with gas-powered cars and trucks as well. Just as it is necessary to empty a gas tank after a major impact, it is necessary to deplete a battery after a major impact. This is a simple and straightforward process and Volt owners feel assured knowing that government and industry is working together to ensure this technology succeeds for us as consumers and citizens.

    Lastly, we encourage every driver in this country to test drive a plug-in electric car for him or herself. There is only one way to really know the electric car experience – and that is to drive one.

    We are leading the way for a new movement in America – a movement to bring the joy back in driving, save money, and invest in our future. We look forward to you joining us.

    Sincerely,

    Chevy Volt Drivers

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    As a general rule -- always speak for yourself.

    I'm still trying to figure out what all this means to me personally. There are probably only about 60 Volt owners actively expressing their thoughts day to day on this board, so don't tell me every Volt owner's stance is represented here and I am the only one that deviates.

    There's a lot of aspects about this whole situation that many have clearly not thought through. I personally currently have over $50K invested in this car, and that's a lot of money which doesn't even begin to account for the safety of my passengers and me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffvolt349 View Post
    To Whom It May Concern:

    In light of the recent news stories in the press concerning the Chevy Volt, the Volt owners would like to set the record straight.

    We are keeping the keys to our Volt. We love our Volt and we feel safe driving our Volt.

    We have done our homework and we know that we know that there is no other car that offers all the advantages of a Volt. We take pleasure in the smooth driving experience. We get a thrill from the high torque performance. We feel at ease in its comfortable elegance. Perhaps most of all, we love the convenience and affordability of driving on electricity everyday and having the option of a back-up gas generator for long distances. This is the beauty of extended-range electric drive – it’s fun, it’s fast, and it’s the future that’s available today.

    Volt owners are glad that NHTSA, GM, and other manufacturers have developed protocols to handle electric cars in a variety of circumstances. This is standard procedure with gas-powered cars and trucks as well. Just as it is necessary to empty a gas tank after a major impact, it is necessary to deplete a battery after a major impact. This is a simple and straightforward process and Volt owners feel assured knowing that government and industry is working together to ensure this technology succeeds for us as consumers and citizens.

    Lastly, we encourage every driver in this country to test drive a plug-in electric car for him or herself. There is only one way to really know the electric car experience – and that is to drive one.

    We are leading the way for a new movement in America – a movement to bring the joy back in driving, save money, and invest in our future. We look forward to you joining us.

    Sincerely,

    Chevy Volt Drivers
    -----------------------------------------------
    Volt #947 Delivered on 2/25/11 -- Sold!
    240V Blink Installed 10/28/11 -- Returned!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Rancho Palos Verdes, CA
    Posts
    2,696

    Default

    Amen Brother. Preach on!

  4.  

    Advertisement

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    HAMILTON,NJ
    Posts
    262

    Default

    Voltage692,

    Please.... you have to be kidding. If you are afraid of this nonsense then be afraid to drive at all!!!

    The only people that should be concerned about this test are the body shops that store the vehicle for repair where it may sit for a while after an accident.

    Would you place a ICE in a garage after it was hit and it was leaking gas?????
    Jack Phillips
    Hamilton, NJ
    Volt 2011( White) and Volt 2013 (Black)

  6. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    We don't have ALL the facts yet. I know what we have been told so far, but I also know that Akerson said in an video interview that there are "concerns" GM had with the results that they share with the NHTSA that need to be addressed. However, he failed to elaborate on those "concerns."

    So you better be kidding me or you're kidding yourself to have made your final decision without the all the facts.

    Quote Originally Posted by jackphillips View Post
    Voltage692,

    Please.... you have to be kidding. If you are afraid of this nonsense then be afraid to drive at all!!!

    The only people that should be concerned about this test are the body shops that store the vehicle for repair where it may sit for a while after an accident.

    Would you place a ICE in a garage after it was hit and it was leaking gas?????
    -----------------------------------------------
    Volt #947 Delivered on 2/25/11 -- Sold!
    240V Blink Installed 10/28/11 -- Returned!

  7. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    NE
    Posts
    18

    Default

    I think the gentleman from an earlier post said it best when he qouted Charlton Heston

  8. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SE PA
    Posts
    4,914

    Default

    I have to telepath Ackerson on this, but his "concerns" remark tied in with his remark about the pack being breached 5" or whatever it was and we have to think that they are looking deeper into "impact issues" where cells or packs are punctured/breached/bent/shorted/etc. Definitely no concerns on day to day regular usage. I think they want to make sure that any accident that leads to a pack being breached does not cause any excess risk beyond a normal ICE experience.

  9. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    10,048

    Default

    Based on what I know, I am not concerned. That could change upon new information.

    Remember a few years ago, when people were burning down gas stations by filling gas cans in the plastic liner bed of pickups, or by getting in and out of their car while refueling? Static electricity was sparking the gas fumes. It made the news, people where told to discharge body static by touching the metal gas pump housing. Notice the no smoking signs posted around gas pumps? There are a bunch of safety issues we deal with when it comes to gasoline. Never had them with horses!

    So if electric cars need to have their batteries discharged and analyzed after a crash, it's just more of the same in my opinion. It's just that people have come to expect and understand gas as flammable. They have come to treat it with some caution. Electric batteries are new, that's all.
    Cyber Gray, Std Wheels, Black Leather/White Console, Park Assist. Picked up May 2011
    B3320
    Best All Electric Miles: 54.2
    Lifetime: 52,564 miles, 161 MPG, Remaining Oil Life 66%
    Typical Commute: 60 miles
    30 day Stats: 1209 miles, 250
    MPG, 90% Electric, 10% gas, Saved 50 gal., 26 kW-hr/100 miles
    VOLT TIPS & SECRETS Free Volt Manual here: Owners Manual (PDF)

  10. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by voltage692 View Post
    As a general rule -- always speak for yourself.

    I'm still trying to figure out what all this means to me personally. There are probably only about 60 Volt owners actively expressing their thoughts day to day on this board, so don't tell me every Volt owner's stance is represented here and I am the only one that deviates.

    There's a lot of aspects about this whole situation that many have clearly not thought through. I personally currently have over $50K invested in this car, and that's a lot of money which doesn't even begin to account for the safety of my passengers and me.
    Then get informed or sell it. Nuff said. There is more than enough info out there to tell you everything you need to know. You might want to look into crash and burn statistics of regular ole gas cars btw. Thought I would leave that bread crumb for ya because I think you need it.
    Last edited by mustardman; 12-02-2011 at 02:33 PM.

  11.  

    Advertisement

  12. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bonaire View Post
    I have to telepath Ackerson on this, but his "concerns" remark tied in with his remark about the pack being breached 5" or whatever it was and we have to think that they are looking deeper into "impact issues" where cells or packs are punctured/breached/bent/shorted/etc. Definitely no concerns on day to day regular usage. I think they want to make sure that any accident that leads to a pack being breached does not cause any excess risk beyond a normal ICE experience.
    Thanks for the speculation, but you do know what it's worth to me and this discussion, don't you?
    -----------------------------------------------
    Volt #947 Delivered on 2/25/11 -- Sold!
    240V Blink Installed 10/28/11 -- Returned!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 6 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Similar Threads

  1. Chevy needs Volt owners to write their commercials.
    By silvercorvette in forum Chevy Volt Owners Forum
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 02-20-2012, 09:48 AM
  2. EV1 And Volt Owners!
    By BlackVolt in forum Chevy Volt Engineering and Design
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 10-11-2011, 07:29 AM
  3. Chevy Volt Exceeding Expectations, Luring Prius Owners, Bashed by Mazda
    By Steverino in forum Chevy Volt General Discussion, News, and Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 02:56 PM
  4. Chevy Volt Owners Write Their Own Fuel Economy Stories
    By Mstehouwer in forum Chevy Volt General Discussion, News, and Events
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-23-2011, 06:53 PM
  5. GM Keeping Options Open With EEStor
    By BillInInd in forum Electric Vehicle Batteries & Plug-In Charging
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-02-2009, 01:13 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts