My experiment for sharing at public charging stations: other ideas?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast

Thread: My experiment for sharing at public charging stations: other ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Nope. Locking using the center console lock button alarms the charge port.
    Bummer, but good to know.
    Hidden Content - Provide backup power to essential appliances.
    Hidden Content - Keep yourself from getting unplugged!

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

Quote Originally Posted by ClarksonCote View Post
    For us 2011 Volt owners, how do you disable this feature on the 2012 Volt?
    Sorry for the late reply ClarksonCote... was busy hanging Christmas lights.

In the 2012 Volt, the charge cord disconnect alarm can be disabled indefinitely by navigating through the following menu options:

Configuration > Vehicle Settings > Comfort & Convenience > Charge Cord Theft Alert > Check/Uncheck
    Last edited by jkoeller; 11-25-2011 at 06:53 PM.
    "White Lightning" - White Diamond Tricoat Delivered 10/12/2011
    "Second Life" - Black 2012 Volt bought used with 100,000 miles, only 150 of them were EV miles

Fueled by a 12.74kW Solar Array - Hidden Content

Hidden Content

If you live in/near St. Louis and are on Facebook, Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jkoeller View Post
    Sorry for the late reply ClarksonCote... was busy hanging Christmas lights.

In the 2012 Volt, the charge cord disconnect alarm can be disabled indefinitely by navigating through the following menu options:

Configuration > Vehicle Settings > Comfort & Convenience > Charge Cord Theft Alert > Check/Uncheck
    Thanks for the info, too bad the 2011 doesn't have that capability. And Christmas lights take precedence, no worries... I guess I need to start hanging some of those too...
    Hidden Content - Provide backup power to essential appliances.

Join thE REVolution
    2011 Volt #186, VIN: B-00186, Cyber Gray Metallic - TRADED! 28k miles, 9k engine, 120MPG
    2013 Volt #43404, Blue Topaz Metallic

Driving for FREE with Solar PV!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GM-Volt.com
    Advertisements

5. Advertisement

On the MY '12 Volts, there's a config option to disable the un-plug while locked car alarm. For the MY '11 Volt (and probably the '12 as well), if you lock the car by using the physical key to lock the driver's door it disables the alarm.

The physical key is accessed by pushing the round silver button at the top left of the key fob. It just swings out (and you have to push the button in order to swing it back closed). There's a slot in the driver's door to accept it. Turn it, and it will lock all the doors, and also disable the unplug alarm. Yes, I've tried it to confirm it.
    I seem to remember this only working the first time the cable gets unplugged.

<EDIT In reference to MY 2011, no idea about MY 2012... END EDIT>

If someone plugs your car in after charging theirs, the next person that reads your sign and unplugs your car will get the alarm, IIRC.
    Last edited by volt3939; 12-02-2011 at 12:33 PM.

I'll have to test that out at home.

Quote Originally Posted by volt3939 View Post
    I seem to remember this only working the first time the cable gets unplugged. If someone plugs your car in after charging theirs, the next person that reads your sign and unplugs your car will get the alarm, IIRC.

I just got my 2011 Volt's software updated and thought that it would get this charge-cord-alarm config that the 2012 Volts have. It doesn't, so now I'm a lot more interested in this manual locking behavior. I'm going to collect all of the info about this issue into this post (will update as needed via edit) and will then link to it from the FAQ (link below).

In the 2012 Volt, the charge cord disconnect alarm can be disabled by navigating through the following menu options:

In the 2011 Volt (and probably the 2012 as well), if you lock the car by using the physical key to lock the driver's door (stick it in and turn it) it locks the car but does not enable the cord theft alarm.

Are we sure that this action (on 2011 Volts) only disables the cord theft alarm, not the entire alarm system?

Further, here's a concern:

Quote Originally Posted by volt3939 View Post
    I seem to remember this only working the first time the cable gets unplugged. If someone plugs your car in after charging theirs, the next person that reads your sign and unplugs your car will get the alarm, IIRC.
    Quote Originally Posted by artsci View Post
    I'll have to test that out at home.
    Has anyone confirmed this behavior?

Finally, for 2011 Volts, you can have your dealer disable the charge cord alarm feature. If they give you a blank stare, tell them they need to look up GM document pic5564 that tells them how to use the GDS2 connection to do it -- it takes about 10 minutes. Thanks voltmaster!
    Last edited by ChrisC; 12-02-2011 at 02:52 PM.
    2011 Volt #284, ordered 30-Jul-2010, built 30-Nov-2010, shipped 15-Dec-2010, delivery 22-Dec-2010, lease return 22-Dec-2013, Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - do yourself a favor and register at Hidden Content immediately so you can track your Volt's performance

For the MY '11 Volt (and probably the '12 as well), if you lock the car by using the physical key to lock the driver's door it disables the alarm.
    I just tested with my '11 Volt, and there is one important distinction! The physical key only disables the alarm if you plug in FIRST, THEN lock the door with the physical key. If you lock the door with the physical key first, then plug in , the alarm is not disabled.

This is why Volt3939 is also correct that if someone unplugs you when your alarm is disabled, then later plugs you back in, the alarm with then be enabled! The next locked unplug will definitely honk. So it seems having the dealer permanently disable the alarm with GM document pic5564 might be the best way to go.

p.s. you might also want to mention on the car magnet sign that it would be nice if the unplugger also closed your charge door, to keep the rain out of your charge port. Of course that would also keep anyone from plugging you back in.
    Personal best: 72.9 miles (One charge only, no Mountain Mode, no gas, no significant elevation change.)

Quote Originally Posted by honoreitiscom View Post
    I just tested with my '11 Volt, and there is one important distinction! The physical key only disables the alarm if you plug in FIRST, THEN lock the door with the physical key. If you lock the door with the physical key first, then plug in , the alarm is not disabled. This is why Volt3939 is also correct that if someone unplugs you when your alarm is disabled, then later plugs you back in, the alarm with then be enabled! The next locked unplug will definitely honk.
    I tried this today and it did NOT work as desired.

1. I plugged in (at work, a rarity for me).
    2. I manually locked the car by putting my key in the drivers side door and turning clockwise.
    3. Five hours later I came back and pulled the plug BEFORE unlockng the car (as a test).
    4. The alarm went off within about 10 seconds.

The only way this would fit what H said above is if someone had come by during those 5 hours and unplugged me and plugged me back in, or I guess some power fluctuation. Possible but seems unlikely.

I'll have to test again. Note that the alarm might be suppressed for the first X seconds/minutes after you lock the car, so when testing, WAIT a couple minutes before pulling the plug.

It's going to take a long time for me to get back to the dealer to apply the permanent solution, which is to have the technician change the setting inside the Volt's brains.
    2011 Volt #284, ordered 30-Jul-2010, built 30-Nov-2010, shipped 15-Dec-2010, delivery 22-Dec-2010, lease return 22-Dec-2013, Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - Hidden Content
    - do yourself a favor and register at Hidden Content immediately so you can track your Volt's performance

Chris, that is a bummer. Are you using the OnStar notifications? If so, that would confirm if there was a power loss or if anyone had unplugged you via text or email, but I doubt anybody did.

Maybe you should try leaving your window down, then reaching in and turning the key in the slot on top of the dash to start the car, than turn it off, remove the key, open the door, roll up the window, close the door, wait 15 seconds, plug in the charger, then lock the car using the RemoteLink app. If that doesn't work, repeat the above steps, but before you roll up the window, crawl through it first, than open and close the door 3 times.
    Volt C-5274 Delivered 10/16/2011 | See my Hidden Content | Find me at Hidden Content

Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content | Hidden Content

12. Advertisement

If someone is going to plug you back in, they will have to reactivate the station possibly. A chargepoint station can only be activated once with one card. So if you activate the station for the guy after you leave (when you unplug, the station senses it and stops charging after a few seconds, and since you don't have his card, it's a problem) , you won't be able to activate it at the next stop possibly (I haven't found two chargepoints side by side to try yet, but I know one card will not activate both ports), unless you stop the charging with your phone.

I agree GM needs to update the 2011 Volt software with this feature.

Good discussion
    2013 Volt #D8115
    Formerly 2011 Volt #B1514

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 3 4 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text