Chevy Volt Charging Cord Cut: Angry Neighbor, Electric-Car Hater?
Grab our Forum Feed

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 6 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Volt Charging Cord Cut: Angry Neighbor, Electric-Car Hater?

Default Chevy Volt Charging Cord Cut: Angry Neighbor, Electric-Car Hater?

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...medium=twitter

At 8 pm on Monday, February 3, their Volt activated its alarm and alerted the couple via mobile-phone app that its charging connection had been interrupted.

When Cummings investigated, he found that the cable of the charging cord had been severed--rendering it useless, and requiring the couple to buy a replacement at a list price of $450.
    This is really disturbing. It's one thing to not agree with EVs, but to sink to this level really takes a sick individual. I hope they install a dash cam to catch the culprit if he/she tries this again.
    VIN: C-10318, Crystal Red, Light Neutral Leather
    06/01/11 - Deposit placed on a 2012 Volt. | 11/14/11 - ECOtality Installs Blink EVSE | 12/03/11 - Volt arrives home! | 11/26/12 First trip to the gas station due to FMM. | 6/09/13 Second trip to gas station for FMM #2. | 4/23/14 FMM #3
    Lifetime Stats - 4,025 mpg | EV Miles: 62,000 | ICE Miles: 139 | EV% 99.8 | Gallons Used: 5.3 | Gallons Wasted 10.3 | Total Gal Saved: 2,695 | $10,106 Saved
    EV Range Record: 81.8 miles | Volt Stats | HOF Score:5

The officer interviewed the HOA president, but the couple are not optimistic that the vandal will be brought to justice--though they believe they know who the vandal is.
    Time for some Prison Justice.

Sometimes, sadly, violence IS the answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by flmark View Post
    My experience has led me to conclude that if someone doesn't like dogs, I end up unable to like them.

Having dealt with quite a few home owner associations for business, the one my "retirement house" is in (owned but rented out for now) and the one for where I currently reside (I was on the board and got off because it was pure BS) I can honestly say that more than half of the "Presidents" are on ego trips. It is a volunteer position and they act as if they are GOD and owed something.

In the case above I'd almost be willing to bet that there is been more to the simple story being told there, some other festering issue. Just my opinion.
    '12 Volt (CU114907) Best all electric day 98.73

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by ari_c View Post
    http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...medium=twitter

This is really disturbing. It's one thing to not agree with EVs, but to sink to this level really takes a sick individual. I hope they install a dash cam to catch the culprit if he/she tries this again.

I wonder if their home insurance paid for that. Probably not enough to exceed the deductible... in which case, I would have repaired the old one rather than buy a new one. $99 on Amazon would buy a new cord with the J1772 connector if, like in the photo, it was cut in a place that didn't make the remaining piece long enough to use.

If insurance would pay for it though, I'd definitely want a new one.
    2014 Chevy Volt - Silver Ice Metallic, Jet Black dark accents, Nav, Safety Pkg 1

It isn't necessarily a political statement or hate crime. Vandalism isn't new. EVs are just another target.

Relatives once had a barn burned down. Doesn't automatically mean the perpetrator hates barns.
    Last edited by srmarti; 02-21-2014 at 11:17 AM.

The cord was cut so close to the connector that it might be repairable. At least I would try if it were me. I absolutely despise HOAs, ours is run by a mini Hitler.
    b2690
    Solar electric system, grid tie 7550 watts

Default Odd

Does anyone else find it odd that there are no apparent burn marks on the cable stub? With 1000W+ going through the cable you would think there'd be some carbon tracks. I've mistakenly cut through live 120V power cables before and it's usually quite exciting.

I suppose the vandal could have unplugged the charger before cutting, but still, it begs the question.

It could be helpful if they were in some type of protected class (Race, Sexual Orientation, Religion, Etc) then they could cry hate crime and make the news.

If they are a Hetro,White,Christian couple under 40........... Bummer.
    My experience has led me to conclude that if someone doesn't like dogs, I end up unable to like them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elemental View Post
    It could be helpful if they were in some type of protected class (Race, Sexual Orientation, Religion, Etc) then they could cry hate crime and make the news.
    I have cameras on my house so I would have known who did it if it were somebody who lives in the neighborhood. And I think they'd be amazed when I took them to court over it because I bet they didn't realize how expensive that EVSE is.
    2013 Blue Nissan Leaf SV (with DC QC)
    2012 White Chevy Volt

Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    I have cameras on my house so I would have known who did it if it were somebody who lives in the neighborhood. And I think they'd be amazed when I took them to court over it because I bet they didn't realize how expensive that EVSE is.
    And by court, you mean behind the woodshed right?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 6 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text