GM Volt Forum banner

Aerodynamics--side mirrors & door handles

14K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  silvercorvette 
#1 ·
GM has refined the Volt in the wind tunnel to increase efficiency at highway speeds. All of the renderings so far still show side mirrors, which act like air brakes. Given that the wholesale cost & miniscule size of low-lux, waterproof cameras and simple LCD screens are <$100 each, I can't see why we still need to have more expensive, conventional motorized mirror systems. Split left/right mirror images can be presented in a LCD screen mounted at the top of the dash (like a Lincoln MKS). When reversing, the center rear camera would replace the left/right split view. The cameras can be located at the top trailing edge of the front wheel flare or gill vents to minimize drag. An optional upgrade could use software to merge the view of the rear center camera like the Infiniti EX35 to provide a seamless, 180 degree rear view. This screen would be dedicated for cameras only. A separate lower screen could show electrical system status and an optional touch screen upgrade could be used for entertainment upgrades.
We could also eliminate door handles, like the CTS coupe concept. If the solenoid buttons are too expensive, GM could put "D" shaped pulls within the cutaway.
Isn't it interesting that the most aerodynamic EV, the Aptera, already has these two features?

#3 ·
There are regulations on mirrors. Not only here but over seas and they have said they want to sell this car all over the place. Mirrors are the cheapest, most reliable, highest resolution monitors you're ever going to find. Simply by moving my head, I can get alternate views, tougher to do with cameras. Yeah, there's drag involved but probably not all that much because they're pretty small and their placement is where the slipstream has already separated by the windshield, so their cross section is only partially causing much drag.

As to the door handles, we don't really know what they'll be like until we see the production concept. However, traditional door handles are cheap, reliable and create almost no drag, so I don't expect see any high tech solutions here. They do need to keep costs down. I am hoping for something kind of stylish though.

#5 ·
I think that everyone, GM included, is fretting far too much over high speed aerodynamics for the volt. Given the fact that it's electric-only range is limited to 40 miles, and given that most people who drive 40 miles a day are commuting to work, a large percentage of that driving will be city stop-and-go miles. Aerodynamics will make almost zero difference in the city environment. On those occasions when the Volt actually gets out on the freeway for longer drives the range extender will be kicking in anyway. So rather than spend months trying to get a couple of tenths off the drag coefficient, let the designers give us a little style in it's place.

#9 · (Edited)
not safe for me

I judge the distance of cars by using my stereoscopic vision and the ability to move my head around I would lose that with cameras.

I really like the idea of cameras TOO, but mirrors are a must for me. It is worth the aerodynamic cost to me.

As for the statement above about commuters doing predominately stop and go/ low speed. Ummmm...I'm going to have to disagree with that statement. Even my wife who only "commutes" 6 miles to work uses the highway for 5 of those instead of taking the 5 mile "in the city" commute. When you are working 8-9 hours after you get to work, you really want minimize your travel time to and from (even at the expense of energy).

#12 ·
What California is that?

I travel to the Bay Area for work, and it seems most of my time on the freeways is spent crawling along in a massive jam. Sure, there are bursts of 70mph, but then it grinds to a halt. Just think of the savings if all of those vehicles' engines weren't idling during the crawl-and-stop.

#13 ·
I travel to the Bay Area for work, and it seems most of my time on the freeways is spent crawling along in a massive jam. Sure, there are bursts of 70mph, but then it grinds to a halt. Just think of the savings if all of those vehicles' engines weren't idling during the crawl-and-stop.
That is what I love about my hybrid, I don't like getting stuck in traffic but it isn't that bad with the engine not burning gas

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.