GM Volt Forum banner

tire pressure reset (TPMS)

7K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  brett_cgb 
#1 ·
Any DIY who rotated their own tires had any success in resetting the TPMS using the deflate/inflate method (no relearning tool). Forget the SEARCH its inconclusive! I can't get it to work.

#2 ·
#3 ·
I have a 2012. There could be a difference between the 2011 and the 2012. What year is yours? Again, the search sucks. In part it talks about magnets. They worked 2004 and prior on the C5 vettte and possibly on other GM pre 2004 and prior vehicles. I tryed the deflate on my 2012 Volt and it does not work!!!

#4 ·
FYI that thread is also linked in the FAQ:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?5801-Frequently-Asked-Questions

Admittedly, it's hard to find the FAQ here. Some of us have included a link to it in our signatures (e.g. my sig below) to help spread the word that the FAQ exists! But it would be better for the admins to put it up on the menu bar. Admins, if you are reading this and agree, please read the proposal in the FAQ thread (updated today) and get in touch with me!

#8 ·
I tried doing it by letting air out with no success.
I then purchased the Ateq VT5 from Tirerack for $80 plus shipping and it works amazing.

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/detail.jsp?ID=2006&category=Tire+Pressure+Monitoring+Systems

View attachment 6279
You can let air out of the 2011 Volt and it will work--- but not the 2012. The sensors are different. I ordered the VT5 just this morning. For $86 it worth it. It will also work on my 05 Vette, not that I can rotate the tires (different size front and rear and they are directional.) I did my 2011 Cruze by letting the air out and it works fine.

#6 ·
Just yesterday I posted in the main TPMS thread seeking clarification of the 'letting air out' procedure for MY2012. Didn't work for me with my 2012. Would be great to have WOT confirm this doesn't work for 2012 to others struggling.

#7 ·
Not that I have done this BUT after letting out X psi of air is putting back X+ psi part of the triggering process ?

#9 ·
Reducing tire pressure also doesn't work in 2013. However, the car did detect the falling pressure, responding by aborting the reset procedure and reporting low pressure. Methinks the car or TPMS receiver firmware was changed to block the "pressure change" method.

I've wondered if there's some way of resetting tire positions using the OBDII port/ELM327?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.