GM Volt Forum banner

Odd question

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  rocketdr 
#1 ·
Just curious - what is the total percentage of the Volt that is made in the US? I thought they had to put that information on the car somewhere....

#2 ·
I have a 2011 Volt and my "window sticker" says:
U.S./Canadian parts content: 40%
Major source of foreign parts content: Korea 20%
Final assembly point: Detroit, MI
Country of origin - Engine: Austria
Transmission (electric drive unit): Japan

#3 ·
That is consistent with my 2012 #1736. I was hoping to see that the engine was made in Flint as I thought they were up and running now. Batteries are supposed to be coming to Michigan in 2012. That will move the NA content up a bit.

Can anyone with a more recent VIN confirm their engine was still from Austria?

#4 ·
So when the engine and batteries start shipping in the US, I bet the domestic content goes from 40 to 80% (assuming each is roughly 20% and the remaining foreign content is the Japanese transmission.)

#6 · (Edited)
Japan most likely, from above the above sticker wording. If the traction motor and the speed control and other bits come from there, it could add to 40%. I doubt that part will lower for quite some time.

We recently had a story here about the new GM Spark electric motor going to be built in Maryland. However, I was sure that 2012 engines would be in Flint, MI. Even was told late 2011 models were Flint, MI. Maybe, the sticker may not have been updated? Definitely call the Volt Advisors to ask them with your VIN # to find out where the gas engine came from.

I can see the electronics made in Japan and other parts from Korea. But I do hope someday, the electric traction motors are all made here. I'm at the point now where I really want the Volt I buy to have the engine from Flint and possibly will wait until the battery plant in Michigan makes the packs. People have complained about the Fisker Karma being made overseas. I sure would like to buy a Volt with a high US-content number. There's a blue Volt coming into a local dealer with a C-VIN in the 9100 range so I'm going to run down there this week to see what the content is.

#7 ·
Manufacturing location

I asked the question the other day in the Motor Trend chat with Andrew Farah. See below:

When do you expect to see the battery and engine being made in Michigan instead of overseas?

1:22
Andrew Farah: Patrick: The battery pack is already made in Michigan at GM's Brownstown, Mich., battery manufacturing plant. Additionally, LG Chem, the company that supplies our battery cells will begin manufacturing cells in Holland, Mich., next year. Also, the 1.4L engine used in the Volt is now manufactured in Flint, Mich.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.