: Polished Aluminum RIMs - worth upgrade?

tommytuna
11-12-2011, 04:03 PM
Folks - debating whether to stick with factory rims or upgrade to polished aluminum. Seems all the pics from GM are with polished rims. Anybody have a Silver Volt with the factory rims? Are the differences purely cosmetic?

My wife joked that i don't wash my car often so my polished rims won't look polished for long:)

mdellis
11-12-2011, 04:36 PM
This is as very nice added option IMO. I took delivery of my 2011 Volt and really like the polished / sealed aluminum wheels. The upkeep is very low, as they are sealed. (I had a set of polished aluminum wheels that were not sealed, and they did take a lot of care and polishing from oxidation). I waxed these wheels and treat them just like my paint, and I feel they improve the look of the car. I have always liked chrome or polished wheels, so the costs was very worth it to me. One other good thing is that there is little to no brake pad dust!? The wheels clean up very nicely. Good luck!

tommytuna
11-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Any differences in durability or weight?

mdellis
11-12-2011, 04:44 PM
I think the weight is the same, (maybe a tiny bit less as they are not painted). The wheel should be as durable as it is the same alloy as stock painted. The only downside is that a scratch or curb-rash would be harder to repair.

tboult
11-12-2011, 04:47 PM
Any differences in durability or weight?

No difference in weight. No expected differences in durability (both can be cratched if you hit it hard, both are aluminum below the surface coat).

It is purley cosmetic but the polished looks good with red. The stock might look more "silver" with the silver and so might look good.

This thread
http://gm-volt.com/2011/08/19/why-the-volt-gets-my-vote/
has side-by-side photos, but not on a car.

I'll bet some of "crashed" shots on this thread
http://gm-volt.com/2011/04/27/iihs-says-2011-chevrolet-volt-and-nissan-leaf-are-practically-as-safe-as-larger-cars/
are painted rim on silver (no point in crashing upgrades).

c6vette
11-12-2011, 05:09 PM
GM's history of polished rims (PR) really sucked in the past. However, the Volt PR's are excellent. I did not order this option since I was screwed in the past on my 05 Vette ($1200 option poorly polished, milky at best) and looking at the new Camaro's in the showroom with PR as poor as my Vette. For some reason my 12 Volt showed up with PR. Before the Volt showed up at the dealership I told them that I did not want them. After seeing the PR I wound up paying half of the dealers cost $262. Again they are good, really highly polished.

tommytuna
11-12-2011, 05:21 PM
Just found a few pics of Silver w/ standard rims and I think i actually like them better. More classic in my opinion with the Silver color. I'll leave my order the way it is. Thanks everyone for feedback.

tboult
11-12-2011, 05:33 PM
If the pic you found are better than the above thread I pointed at, please post so others who find the thread can see them too.

larry4pyro
11-12-2011, 06:19 PM
I opted to stay with the standard rims and use the money to buy gas. If I recall, the difference was about $500 bucks or a little over 100 gallons of gas, enough to last me for about a year.

JamesMcQuaid
11-12-2011, 08:30 PM
I have silver paint, and the polished rims look terrific! They are very reflective, and clean up quick.

Brandon
11-12-2011, 10:49 PM
I didnt think they were worth the extra money. Especially considering I plan on going with a lighter weight wheel in the spring anyway. Its purely preference.

gieso
11-13-2011, 10:44 AM
I have the Silver Ice Metallic and the polished rims. I think it looks great! I have not had the opportunity to wash my Volt yet and they still look great! I think they are worth the $.

solar_dave
11-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Me likes them, if they get funky over time I will get them chrome plated.

volt11
11-13-2011, 12:32 PM
In my honest opinion, I would consider paying to NOT have the polished rims. I think the base rims look much better, and convincingly look like aluminum wheels. The polished rims, I think due to the thin wall (light weight) design of the wheel to start with and the uniform mirror finish, end up looking like they could be high quality wheel covers. I don't mean to offend those with polished rims, which I almost ordered myself but in the end was really glad I didn't once I saw my early build car arrive with the base wheels.

This album link (https://picasaweb.google.com/yamahr1/VoltAndVette31211?authuser=0&feat=directlink) has some high resolution photos (that can be downloaded) of my red Volt with the base wheels.

SolarExec
11-14-2011, 11:05 AM
FWIW, when we ordered our Volts I tried to get them without polished rims because I thought they were not worth the money (as many others have said above). But in the kerfuffle of the early orders last winter, when we finally got the cars, both already had polished rims installed and so we decided to just go ahead with them (it was the one option we did not want). But we are really glad we got them. We get so many compliments on the car and the way the polished wheels look. They are especially nice with the Red car though I think they look great with black as well and I would not even THINK about buying a blue one without polished rims.

Obviously just a matter of personal taste, but as one who would never have bought them if we had the choice, I have become a strong convert to the idea that this is a very worthwhile cosmetic upgrade even for the $600 they cost.

dandet
11-14-2011, 12:31 PM
That is the only option we did not get on our 2012. To me, it just wasn't worth the money. Don't miss what you don't have. The car looks great to me without them.

Just my opinion.

Dan

Top_Speed1
11-14-2011, 02:00 PM
I have them also but worth the money? Probably overpriced most would say but they do "finish" off the look of the car IMO.