GM Volt Forum banner

You Could say I'm over the Moon!

7K views 25 replies 19 participants last post by  FrayAdjacent 
#1 ·
Well after putting on some cheapy plastic hubcaps to keep the winter road grime out of my spindles I just couldn't get past how "ÿuck" they looked. See:

They don't look too bad in that pic but when you stepped back and looked at the car from a few steps back it looked like what they were, cheap. So I got hunting around and I remembered the spun stainless steel Moondisc hubcaps that the guys over on EcoModder use to improve the aerodynamics of their cars. Most guys that run them swear they see a 4-5% improvement in fuel efficiency running these hub caps! They are a hold over from the hotrod days of the 50's and 60's when guys racing their hotrods would use these to streamline their cars. They are made of spun stainless steel and pop in just like a traditional hubcap. An improvement over the originals that were screwed directly to the rim!:eek: And being stainless I will be able to polish them up real nice when the weather gets nice.(its been raining alot here lately) I won't go to a mirror finish but I can still get a nice shine and still keep the brushed finish which I like. So they still look a little weird but they look alot better than the plastic cheapies and maybe I will offset some mileage loss that I have from my snow tires.:D

See less See more
#2 ·
Sorry, but that looks horrible. Looks like wheels from a futuristic car built in the 40's. They look like woks bottom on weels. Think ill stick with steel wheels unless i find nice hubs. Sorry if i sound mean.

#3 ·
In snowy conditions, that would be good at keeping slop from building up. They're not pretty - but they have good personality.

#6 ·
Wainair,

They have an special look to me, like "take me to your leader, I come in peace". I am sure they are functional though.

PS; I love the Topaz Blue!

#9 ·
Wainair,
I tink you just need some more chrome on the side of the car? Maybe some fake intake scoops, door handles, window trim, louvers, wheel arches, etc. Ya know what kills it? The car has a lot of "black-out" plastic... it clashes with the chromies. damn...

#12 ·
The old hotrodders used the Moon hubcaps to help streamline the air over the wheels. I wonder if your overall aerodynamics will improve, probably tough to tell in winter conditions. While more aerodynamic they do reduce the cooling air to the brakes so perhaps they may not be a wise choice in summer, but by then I assume you will be back to the stock wheels.

#13 ·
Oh yes, as soon as the risk of black ice is gone the nice alloys go back on! With the regenerative braking I'm not worried about brake cooling too much.

Thanks Zod that's what I thought.

Yeah Koz, the steelies I bought for my winter tires. GM doesn't offer a steel set up for the Volt yet but I will only use steel rims for my winter tires because I've had problems in the past with alloys pitting on the bead rim causing permanent slow leaks.

#14 ·
#18 · (Edited)
Come on wainair, no kidding, take em off......serious....or ill start a tread about the uglyest Volt on here...and to say when people asked me to show them a picture of my upcoming volt, i ws always showing them your pictures...but i wont show them this one! Terrible thing to do to a volt! pffffff. still like you thou ;)

#19 ·
They are one-of-a-kind for sure, Wainair. Better than the plastic, easy to clean, no snow buildup, and will last forever. They are certainly functional. Have you considered some white walls? :)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Vintage car Classic

#22 ·
View attachment 3184
Now that's enough chrome!
You forgot the Chrome mirror covers! LOL! You guys are too funny. No Steverino, I still have bad memories of cleaning my dad's white walls as a child. That is one style that will never come back, at least not on one of my cars.... unless it gave me a 4-5% fuel efficiency increase. Then I might consider it!

Oh and for the curious I did notice this morning that the km's weren't going down as fast as they did last week on the highway(and the temps were colder!). On the highway portion of my commute I usually use 15km in estimated range and today I only used 13km. Below highway speeds I don't think there would be any measurable benefit of the moon caps other than the darned good looks!:p

#21 ·
Put me in the plus column too, Wainair, at least for winter kit. You don't see a lot of those, and they look a HELL of a lot better than 22" dubs I see on the street. And better aero, as well... what's not to like?

And yeah, the BLUE color of your Volt is gorgeous!

#23 · (Edited)
Wainair,

Keep in mind a lot of these responses are from southern state dwellers. They have never driven in snow/ice and have never even heard of "Winter Tires". They are strictly 'Stylistas'.

I totally appreciate what you have done for your Winter Setup.
Can you list some details about what size and where these steel wheels came from? "Did you go with new TPMS? Was it a hassle to get them married to the car?

I found this 16" alloy/winter tire package from tirerack for $788: http://www.tirerack.com/snow/WinterPackageMain.jsp?autoMake=Chevrolet&autoModel=Volt&autoYear=2013&autoModClar=[/URL]

But I really like your steel wheel/aero cover set up. It may keep the salty crud from flowing into the brakes.
I like the idea of 16" wheels running 205/65-16 winter tires, The -1 idea.

Yes, it is Form and Function over Style.
Have you seen the aero wheel covers on Semi trucks?

#24 ·
You forgot the rear wheel skirts...:)

#25 ·
Those caps form the most aerodynamic configuration for the wheels. The Volt's stock wheels are already very aerodynamic, so the benefit on the Volt will be minimal. Coming from a typical rim, that cover could see a 5-10% improvement in drag. On the Volt, it would probably be 5% at most.

#26 ·
Oh ye northerners.

I know not what it's like to have to have a set of 'winter' tires. I drive all year round on the same rubber and give it nary a thought.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.