GM Volt Forum banner

47 Degrees a new ball game

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Matt979 
#1 ·
Today it was 47 degrees in Louisville. I have been averaging 48 miles per day on the batteries. Today I got 32 miles. Fortunately, today my electrician completed the installation of my SPX 240 volt charging system at work. I will be plugging in there as well as home. I am already spoiled by the quiet smooth operation on the batteries, and would like to be able to continue to do my entire day (40-45 miles) on batteries only. I realize though that for many that option won't be available. It also makes me think about a city of the future with many thousands of cars plugged in on cold days. Hopefully, the grid will be able to grow with demand.

#2 ·
I have noticed some decay with the 40 something temps too. I agree, I was getting 46-48 miles very easily in the last 3 months and now that the weather is sometimes in the 40's my mileage is from 38-43 on those days. But I will admit I have been very comfortable and notice the heat and A/C may cycle on and off in ECO mode to keep the windows defogged and keep it warm too.

#4 ·
The temp has been in the upper 30's when I go to work and about 50 when I leave. My range has dropped about 5 miles with the decrease in temp. The temp has been dropping steadly since I got it two weeks ago.

#5 ·
Did you use heat? If so did you precondition?

Yep the winter temps are going to eat into our milage. Glad I bought in the summer so I could enjoy 50+ miles day.

Today was 36F when I left and 56F when returned. I'm down to 45miles (was doing 51-53 on the route I took today). And already had a few days down to 38miles (highway driving and colder temps). I'm hoping I can keep it above 37 as normal work&back is 37, but worry as I read posts from last year where people were down to 25.

#11 ·
I only charge on a 110v outlet, so starting the car before work still costs me some range. Has anyone figured out, can I start the car 30 minutes before I leave for work, let it turn off, then let it top off charge for 20 minutes? Will that enhance my range? I'll try to give it a shot myself, but since my car is so new I don't really have much data to compare against.

#7 ·
Some hints to preserve range:

1) Use Eco mode for heating.
2) Park overnight in a garage, if possible (avoid cold soak).
3) Use Delayed Charging, so the battery is still warm when you depart in the morning.
4) Use Remote Start while still plugged in, to preheat the cabin.

Range should not drop below 30 miles if you do all of the above, even if it is bitter cold out. If you do none of the above, you can replicate Consumer Reports range of 20 miles!

Chris
Volt #541
Berwyn, PA

#9 ·
Above 45-50F I find the seat heaters work fine by themselves and they draw much less power than heating the air. If you can precondition while still on grid power (possibly with some further initial heating in the car early in the trip) you may be able to rely on seat heating and lower cabin heating for most of the drive.

#10 ·
With EVs being completely different than ICE cars for HVAC issues, I'm surprised they haven't thought of an option to enclose the front part of the car. Heck, i'm sure 90% of miles for the Volt for instance or more is with 2 or less passengers. You don't need to heat/cool the back seat and cargo area. Especially for heating I would think being able to shut off just the front seat area would require 90% less energy. Not only would you not be heating back seat and cargo area but your body heat would actually provide much of the needed heat.

Now this would require new design for seats, it would be more than what you would see in a Limo where the Limo Driver has a window for instance. Need to stop the drafts under and around the seats. Need to make it look good and functional. But this would help with EV range in winter time, though I don't know what percent of the reduced cold weather range is due to cabin heating and how much due to the cold battery. But thats what the TMS is for right.

#12 ·
I don't really feel the cold much so keep forgetting to either preheat (and no not remember to use cabin heat or even seats.. not that cold yet).

In the two times I've done it, I remote started and 15-20min later the car was fully charged.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.