: Engage Hold mode when cruze control is enable

chevy_volt00
10-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Not sure if we have people from GM development lurking here but just in case.....

This request came from a discussion where people talk about the Hold mode.

The request is each time you engage the cruise control to maintain a steady speed, Hold mode should also be engage.

The logic, when cruising at a freeway steady speed it make MORE sense to run on ICE, because we burn gas to go forward. while in city drive mode we are in a stop and go mode and we try to beat the inertia of the car to go forward, same when doing stand still in traffic.

telveer
10-07-2013, 06:10 PM
I use cruise control on local roads, and would not like my ICE to start as a result. Even on highways, as long as I have enough battery range for my trip, why switch to ICE? If at all all such an option is made available, it should not be by default.

scrambler
10-07-2013, 06:14 PM
If in some cases it makes sense to use Hold with cruise control, I am pretty sure that it is far from being the majority of cases.

For a start, as long as your daily driving stays within your battery range, there is no reason to use hold mode even on the highway.

So it should definitely not be a default. It could eventually be an option, and even for that I am not sure what percentage of users would want that to be the case 100% of the time...

Henry_FL
10-07-2013, 06:34 PM
I never want the smoker to run, ever. If it must come on, I'm on a trip that it doesn't make any difference when the engine runs, as its beyond the range of the battery.

saghost
10-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Like most of the post I see, I wouldn't want that. I use Cruise control in a variety of situations, some of which I wish I had Hold mode for (2012. not equipped with Hold,) and some of which I want to stay electric for. Let me choose. :) Actually, I want more control - I want Sport plus Hold/Mountain, too - sometimes (most but not all of the time.)

OlderThanDirt
10-07-2013, 08:18 PM
I definitely wouldn't want that either. If want or need hold I'll choose it. Man I'd burn a lot gas doing that!!!!

Steverino
10-07-2013, 08:26 PM
I use cruise a LOT, both city and highway. I would NOT want the Volt to turn on the ICE when I used cruise control. If I wanted HOLD, I can engage it. Of course, my car does not have hold, so moot point. lol

Consider this a request from someone whose driving a Volt for over two years and who tries to use EV mode as much as possible and ICE mode as little as possible.

David B. Kelting
10-07-2013, 10:57 PM
I use cruise a LOT, both city and highway. I would NOT want the Volt to turn on the ICE when I used cruise control. If I wanted HOLD, I can engage it. Of course, my car does not have hold, so moot point. lol

Consider this a request from someone whose driving a Volt for over two years and who tries to use EV mode as much as possible and ICE mode as little as possible.

I don't even have Hold Mode. I don't think I even really need it. I have used Mountain Mode once and only as a self demonstration. I suppose more program options are better, but certainly not as a default situation. My ICE hardly ever comes on. Well, enough that I have never experienced Engine Maint. burn or Fuel Maint. burn

Joule
10-08-2013, 12:08 AM
There's merit to the suggestion, it just is missing that it would be a driver-selected mode. I'd call it "Trip Mode" and have it be persistent for that entire charge (instead of the drive), so that quick stops along the way wouldn't require re-activating the mode.

Also for my imaginary "trip mode" I'd want the ICE to run optimized (either in power split or at steady RPM) with a larger +/- charge buffer so that rolling hills wouldn't require frequent clutching and surging.

timoshev
10-08-2013, 01:35 AM
Cruise control is a device to enable you to rest your foot, but not necessarily to minimize energy consumption. On any terrain except dead flat I am pretty sure that letting some speed bleed off going uphill and recovering it slowly on the downhill will require less total energy--gas or electric-- than maintaining a steady speed--with foot or CC. (Of course, you may drive other motorists nuts doing this in traffic)
Correct me if I'm wrong.

volt3939
10-08-2013, 01:46 AM
Cruise control is a device to enable you to rest your foot, but not necessarily to minimize energy consumption. On any terrain except dead flat I am pretty sure that letting some speed bleed off going uphill and recovering it slowly on the downhill will require less total energy--gas or electric-- than maintaining a steady speed--with foot or CC. (Of course, you may drive other motorists nuts doing this in traffic)
Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're not wrong, but I have noticed that as gas prices rise, the number of people driving slower increases, and yes that includes letting speed drop off up hills. It's kind of satisfying to see a huge block of 20-20 cars using this fuel saving technique. (I use the fixed pedal position technique unless the hill is really long and/or steep.

Of course there are always the occasional speeders moving through the pack that have not learned Zen and the art of driving, often in twos or threes...

Breezy
10-08-2013, 06:22 AM
This is basically what I do manually on longer trips, as a rule of thumb. Cruise control on = HOLD mode on. Yes it would have to be driver-selectable mode. It would just save a few button presses.

If I'm driving beyond EV range and won't get to charge at my destination, I would rather use the gas engine while cruising on the highway when 1. it's less noticeable above the road noise, 2. it has the potential to be more efficient (I think), 3. it can run for longer periods without switching on an off as much, 4. it doesn't contribute to the pollution in congested areas

BAZINGA
10-08-2013, 08:49 AM
This is basically what I do manually on longer trips, as a rule of thumb. Cruise control on = HOLD mode on. Yes it would have to be driver-selectable mode. It would just save a few button presses.

If I'm driving beyond EV range and won't get to charge at my destination, I would rather use the gas engine while cruising on the highway when 1. it's less noticeable above the road noise, 2. it has the potential to be more efficient (I think), 3. it can run for longer periods without switching on an off as much, 4. it doesn't contribute to the pollution in congested areas

We think alike. W/O knowing if you can charge on the end of a long trip I'd rather save my battery for slower city/rural driving than trying to push a 3800 pound car through the air at 65 to 75 MPH from the battery. My AER's drop like a rock when I've done that, but when doing steady state cruising on interstates I have gotten 42+MPG CS mode and for me that's sipping gas.

srmarti
10-08-2013, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure the basic reason why the OP wants this is even valid.

Codyozz
10-08-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm not sure the basic reason why the OP wants this is even valid.

I'm giving the OP the benefit of the doubt. They mean well, and really only want the ICE on when it makes the MOST sense. As a result of his suggestion it has brought forward a lot of good ideas.
Here is my idea for when my "trip exceeds what the AER can provide": A "trip" button that will engage the motor at 45 mph and above, but won't shut down til I reach, say... 35 mph maybe. That way it runs while cruising at steady speeds and highway speeds, but doesn't disengage all the time. Initially I was thinking it should engage above 55 mph, but why not engage when it's super efficient as well? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the ICE most efficient at and around 45-50 mph? I also want to be able to enter my destination into the computer that way the car has an idea of when I need to "run out of battery". I think we all want that tho, that way the ICE doesn't turn on 1 mile from home.

ckk
10-08-2013, 01:29 PM
I use both, independently, every day (Hold mode, also Cruise control).

I drive a lot in normal mode with Cruise control on.

I drive maybe 10-20 miles every day in Hold mode, sometimes with Cruise control on, but not always.

Breezy
10-08-2013, 02:01 PM
I also want to be able to enter my destination into the computer that way the car has an idea of when I need to "run out of battery".

Yep that would be cool. I think the Fusion/C-Max Energi EV+ mode works something like that.

srmarti
10-08-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm giving the OP the benefit of the doubt. They mean well, and really only want the ICE on when it makes the MOST sense. As a result of his suggestion it has brought forward a lot of good ideas.
Here is my idea for when my "trip exceeds what the AER can provide": A "trip" button that will engage the motor at 45 mph and above, but won't shut down til I reach, say... 35 mph maybe. That way it runs while cruising at steady speeds and highway speeds, but doesn't disengage all the time. Initially I was thinking it should engage above 55 mph, but why not engage when it's super efficient as well? Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the ICE most efficient at and around 45-50 mph? I also want to be able to enter my destination into the computer that way the car has an idea of when I need to "run out of battery". I think we all want that tho, that way the ICE doesn't turn on 1 mile from home.

If the driver can already set cruise and hold, I can't see any compelling reason for this to be a default setting or a separate mode.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
10-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Not sure if we have people from GM development lurking here but just in case.....

This request came from a discussion where people talk about the Hold mode.

The request is each time you engage the cruise control to maintain a steady speed, Hold mode should also be engage.

The logic, when cruising at a freeway steady speed it make MORE sense to run on ICE, because we burn gas to go forward. while in city drive mode we are in a stop and go mode and we try to beat the inertia of the car to go forward, same when doing stand still in traffic.

Afternoon Chevy_volt00,

You never know who may be hanging out on the Forums! I can say that your suggestion has been documented for Chevrolet to review. Thank you for taking the time to share this!

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service