: Power Inverter Module Service Bulletin on 2011-13 Volts

ravadac
10-02-2013, 08:56 AM
I was in for service on my heater this morning. They told me that a new recall had just come in for the inverter logic control module. It's a software update. He didn't have any other information. Just thought I'd share.

BAZINGA
10-02-2013, 09:24 AM
I am bringing our 2012 in for a tire rotation/oil change tomorrow and I'll ask them about this. We just bought a 2013 a month ago.

Thanks for the heads up.

forkball
10-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks also for the info. I'll need to get over to the dealer to get mine looked at. I am having the same heater problem as has been described here before. In fact today was the first time I was able to have the heater work that I noticed and that was during a remote start. Otherwise, nada.

kns
10-02-2013, 10:07 AM
...They told me that a new recall had just come in for the inverter logic control module...

Language is important. Is it a NHTSA "recall" or is it a GM customer satisfaction campaign?

Edit:
Just took a look at the NHTSA website.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles
There were 9 customer complaints regarding MY2013 but no recalls listed.

KNS

ravadac
10-02-2013, 10:34 AM
Language is important. Is it a NHTSA "recall" or is it a GM customer satisfaction campaign?

Edit:
Just took a look at the NHTSA website.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchVehicles
There were 9 customer complaints regarding MY2013 but no recalls listed.

KNS

Aye, The service writer specifically called it a 'recall'. I can ask them to clarify when I go pick up the car this afternoon.

mbeebe
10-02-2013, 10:40 AM
Same here... took the car in yesterday for PIC5796B (heater issue) and they said they performed the 'recall' issue for the inverter update as well. BTW, the heater now works after a 'remote start' :) Now, there's a new 'clicking' sound while running the heat... seems to be directly behind the driver's display. Oh well. Good thing it's a lease car. :/

ravadac
10-02-2013, 10:47 AM
Aye, The service writer specifically called it a 'recall'. I can ask them to clarify when I go pick up the car this afternoon.

Just spoke to the service writer. He was adamant that it is a recall. He said it's only been coming up since yesterday. It would make sense that it's not seen on the NHTSA's website as they stopped reporting recalls since close of business on Sept 30th.

Henry_FL
10-02-2013, 10:57 AM
Its not a recall, the service guys are clueless, recalls are for safety issues only

ravadac
10-02-2013, 11:06 AM
Its not a recall, the service guys are clueless, recalls are for safety issues only

Possibly, but I can't dismiss it out of hand as not a recall without any proof. I asked specifically if this was related to a safety recall or a GM customer satisfaction campaign. He said, no this is not a campaign, this is definitely a recall. The alert popped up as soon as they put in my VIN. A safety issue could easily arise with a power inverter if that's indeed what this is supposed to correct.

Aero_Krash_35
10-02-2013, 11:11 AM
It is just a service bulletin.

ravadac
10-02-2013, 11:17 AM
It is just a service bulletin.

Thank you for the update. That clears that up. It looks like it's an important one, looks like the engine may stop or not start with water in the sensor housing.

DonC
10-02-2013, 11:18 AM
Highly unlikely it's a recall. The term is frequently used not all that precisely. Here is an article that says the Volt has been recalled but also says "It’s not an NHTSA recall, but a voluntary move to ensure customer satisfaction". http://gmauthority.com/blog/2012/10/2013-chevrolet-volt-recalled-for-preemptive-software-update/ IOW a customer satisfaction action not a recall. LOL Doesn't matter all that much.

I'm wondering if this is the official fix for the heater issue we've seen.

Aero_Krash_35
10-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Definitely seems to be important for all of us to at least contact our dealerships and find out if we are affected. I know I will be doing that this week.

kns
10-02-2013, 12:10 PM
The GM Authority article posted by DonC says only 2013 vehicles are involved. The Service Bulletin posted by Aero_Krash_35 says it applies to all 2011 - 2013 models. The SB also states that it expires at the end of the base warranty period.

There appears to be some confusion. Perhaps these are two different issues.

KNS

Chevrolet Customer Svc
10-02-2013, 12:46 PM
Hello All,

This is not a Safety Recall. It's Service Bulletin #13202: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles - Power Inverter Module Reprogram - Expires with Base Warranty

Models: 2011-2013 Chevrolet Volt

Not all Vehicles will require this update. If your Volt requires this Bulletin it will be attached to your VIN which your Dealership or Dedicated Advisor can look up for you.

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

kns
10-02-2013, 01:01 PM
Hello All,

This is not a Safety Recall. It's Service Bulletin #13202: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles - Power Inverter Module Reprogram - Expires with Base Warranty

Not all Vehicles will require this update. If your Volt requires this Bulletin it will be attached to your VIN which your Dealership or Dedicated Advisor can look up for you.

Ian,
Thanks for the SB # and for the clarification.
KNS

garyg
10-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Interesting. I bet that was a rather devious problem to find. I best most cars drug in for this complaint often dried up and would show no symptom at the shop. Something that takes a pretty dedicated effort by some pretty knowledgeable people to diagnose. Doesnt sound like a dealership level sort of thing.

WopOnTour
10-02-2013, 03:04 PM
This is officially a "service update campaign" #13202 released on June 27.
NOT safety related and NOT a "recall"
Many people including those at dealerships will often refer them as "recalls" as TYPICALLY owners of campaign affected vehicles are contacted directly by GM and requested to report to a dealership for the required service. (as was the case 2 years ago when a group of updates rolled out for the 2011 cars)

However this is NOT the case in this service update campaign.
In THIS this case this service update it is a reprogramming of the Power Inverter Module (PIM) is only necessary under specific conditions- most notably the model year, the combination of software levels currently in place within the PIM and any previous service where the PIM might have already been updated. The update alters some of the self-diagnostic enable and fail criteria for the Drive Motor 2 position sensor.

So should you be visiting a GM dealer with your car for any reason, they are sure to check if this update applies to you.
If on your own, you wish to determine if your vehicle is affected you could either contact your Volt Advisor or your dealer with the last 8 digits of your VIN and they should be able to use their on-line tools to determine if your car is subject to an OPEN "Required Filed Action"

HTH
WOT

kns
10-02-2013, 06:13 PM
I called my VA and was told that #13202 is applicable to my 2012MY. Was also told it should take no more than 1/2 an hour. I made an appointment.

I find it interesting that #13202 expires when the new car warranty expires. That means that if a Volt isn't in a dealer's shop for some other reason this update might never be done.

KNS

Yarblek
10-02-2013, 06:18 PM
I took my 2013 in for a sticking charge door this morning and they gave me a copy of this and said they are doing it as well.

rlars1
10-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Why would GM not alert you via MyVolt?

Steverino
10-02-2013, 10:21 PM
Why would GM not alert you via MyVolt?

Good idea! My observation is because OnStar (MyVolt) sucks at website programming.

Rampage_Rick
10-03-2013, 12:30 AM
I took my 2013 in for a sticking charge door this morning and they gave me a copy of this and said they are doing it as well.My dealership phoned me on Monday about the PIM bulletin. I'm booked for tomorrow afternoon, and I was also going to have them look at the sticking charge door. Did you pay anything for the latter?

*edit* Got my Volt back:

-Recall 9090 Recall 13202. Perform Power Inverter Module calibration update as per outline.

-Check door and lube, find still has slight bind condition, find bulletin PI0936 indicates to replace door assembly, order parts

Yarblek
10-03-2013, 02:09 AM
They did the PIM but had to order parts for the charge door. They said it would be no charge for any of it (I would hope not, I have barely had it for a month)

Mike

fishhawk
10-03-2013, 08:43 AM
I emailed my VA. The update is applicable to both of my 2011 Volts.

ari_c
10-03-2013, 12:32 PM
I called this morning and it applies to my 2012 Volt. I had a problem, I had 35,993 miles on the odometer and the dealer was 13 miles away :). When I talked to the service advisor he told me it wasn't a problem and it is being applied as I type this.

Wooderson
10-03-2013, 05:14 PM
People might do a better job knowing the difference between a recall and a service bulletin if Chevy did a better job of identifying it. My receipt says "Recall 13202." I definitely understand why someone would refer to it as such.

BAZINGA
10-03-2013, 07:27 PM
I just picked our 2012 from having it's tires rotated and oil change ($5 OTD whoo who) and on my receipt is the following comment:
Power Inverter Reprogram. - Expires with Base Warranty CAUSE RECALL 9100140 reprogram Power Inverter Module"

I can scan a post a copy of my receipt if someone thinks it's necessary.

So what does this FIX since I was experiencing any issues that I could tell?

rperich
10-03-2013, 08:04 PM
The wording on the notice sent to me my dealership was "GM notified us that your 2013 VOLT has an open recall (POWER INVERTER MODULE REPROGRAM). "

If I read this without this forum, I would have not know it was a bulletin only...

shiranpuri
10-03-2013, 08:05 PM
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?76170-Power-Inverter-Control-Module-Service-Bulletin-on-2011-13-Volts

Dakster
10-03-2013, 08:08 PM
My dealership phoned me on Monday about the PIM bulletin. I'm booked for tomorrow afternoon, and I was also going to have them look at the sticking charge door. Did you pay anything for the latter?

I have a 2013 with a sticking charge door too... And they can't blame it on snow or ice. It's 90F out in the day and if I am lucky only 80F at night.

Maybe that is why they changed the charge door to a push and open instead of a electric release on the 2014s.

I'll be checking to see if the recall affects us, I don't want to be stranded and we do get a lot of rain (ponding of water) here.

WopOnTour
10-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Whether it's referred to as a recall or not by anyone is merely a question of semantics.
Please re-read what I posted above (http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?76170-Power-Inverter-Control-Module-Service-Bulletin-on-2011-13-Volts&p=996970#post996970).

Technically this particular case is referred to internally as a "service update campaign"
Campaigns are traditionally a repair operation classification that often "infers" a recall in that affected owners are traditionally contacted BY GM (not the dealer) to bring their car in for a particular defined warranty repair.

HOWEVER that IS NOT the case in this particular type of campaign. (there are numerous "types" of campaigns)
With THIS type of campaign (service update) vehicles currently in dealer inventory or any that visit the dealer service department for ANY reason will automatically receive this additional repair.(and the dealer is paid a flat rate fee for performing this service)
Typically this type of campaign is used when the condition involved is NOT considered critical to the normal operation of the vehicle. (as in this case here where the software update merely alters the self-diagnostic routine for the MG2 position sensor in order to prevent a false fail triggering under very specific conditions.) and as was the case in a couple other situations, such as the service update for the erroneous service park brake message.

Some dealership personnel and even booking/repair order computer systems (not provided by GM by the way, they are sourced from various authorized 3rd party vendors) These systems (or those typing in the data) MIGHT incorrectly refer to any "campaign" as a recall. But in a "recall" campaign an attempt is made to contact owners of all of the affected vehicles is made (again by GM corp via mail not the dealer).

So once again- NOT a recall and nothing to lose any sleep over.
WopOnTour

hd3rd
10-03-2013, 08:40 PM
I am not going to take my volt in until I hear what the reprograming does for me and my car. It will piss me off if I get less miles on a full charge. Now if it will change over to ice at 11 KW like I am hearing the 2014 are doing then fine. Right now it changes over at10.7 KW.

macklin
10-03-2013, 09:50 PM
I just got a call from my dealership and they left a message. They wanted to make an appointment for the power module software update and called it a 'recall'.

shoemakj
10-03-2013, 10:17 PM
I just got a call from my dealership and they left a message. They wanted to make an appointment for the power module software update and called it a 'recall'.

Perhaps they refer to it as a "recall" simply because most people think "campaign" is only something you do when running for office. :rolleyes:

Obviously, Volt owners are more savvy... :D

Rampage_Rick
10-03-2013, 11:41 PM
I am not going to take my volt in until I hear what the reprograming does for me and my car. It will piss me off if I get less miles on a full charge. Now if it will change over to ice at 11 KW like I am hearing the 2014 are doing then fine. Right now it changes over at10.7 KW.I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever, nor do I expect to. It's my understanding that this should only change the behaviour of the car under a specific set of circumstances (http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?76170-Power-Inverter-Module-Service-Bulletin-on-2011-13-Volts&p=995970#post995970):

"If water enters the sensor body, it can set a diagnostic code, which illuminates the Check Engine light and requests propulsion to be inactive"

Now I'm not sure what they've changed, but perhaps there was a problem with this happening while driving so they changed it to only disable the drivetrain after you've shut off the car? Or maybe now that fault condition doesn't result in a total shutdown?

ChrisC
10-04-2013, 12:04 AM
I am not going to take my volt in until I hear what the reprograming does for me and my car. It will piss me off if I get less miles on a full charge. Now if it will change over to ice at 11 KW like I am hearing the 2014 are doing then fine. Right now it changes over at10.7 KW.

Careful with the units. You mean kWh, not kW. One is a measure of energy storage (e.g. in a battery/tank), the other is a measure of instantaneous power.

bizmodel
10-04-2013, 10:42 AM
They told me that a new recall had just come in for the inverter logic control module. It's a software update. He didn't have any other information. Just thought I'd share.[/QUOTE]

I had my Volt in for an oil change and the did the software update while I was there. The service rep says it takes about a half hour. Oil and filter change plus update took one hour.

Volusiano
10-04-2013, 08:46 PM
I checked with my Volt advisor, and he confirmed that my Volt is open for that service bulletin # 13202. So I called in to the nearest Chevy dealership to schedule an appointment to bring it in for an update. The service advisor at the dealership heard me mention service bulletin and he adamantly REFUSED to schedule an appointment with me for a service bulletin. I said fine, look it up for recall #13202 then, and at the time, he said "Ah, OK, so if it is a recall then I can schedule the appointment for you". I said fine, whatever you want to call it, I don't care, as long as I get an appointment to bring it in for the SW update.

Funny how they're so peculiar about the semantics there at the dealership to call it a recall and how members of this forum insist that it's not a recall but a service bulletin. I'll call it whatever is needed to have them do the SW update, I guess.

WopOnTour
10-04-2013, 10:36 PM
I checked with my Volt advisor, and he confirmed that my Volt is open for that service bulletin # 13202. So I called in to the nearest Chevy dealership to schedule an appointment to bring it in for an update. The service advisor at the dealership heard me mention service bulletin and he adamantly REFUSED to schedule an appointment with me for a service bulletin. I said fine, look it up for recall #13202 then, and at the time, he said "Ah, OK, so if it is a recall then I can schedule the appointment for you". I said fine, whatever you want to call it, I don't care, as long as I get an appointment to bring it in for the SW update.

Funny how they're so peculiar about the semantics there at the dealership to call it a recall and how members of this forum insist that it's not a recall but a service bulletin. I'll call it whatever is needed to have them do the SW update, I guess.

"Service Bulletins" are something different all together. They use a different numbering system. So there could be no such thing as "service bulletin #13202" as that is clearly the campaign numbering system. They need to be particular because there are clear policy/procedural and warranty guidelines that dictate what they can and can't do based on these different types of documents published by the corporation. The service advisor you were working with was actually correct. They cannot perform a warranty service based on a "service bulletin" alone. It must be corroborated by a verifiable complaint/concern. Campaigns are different (and as I've said here are different types of campaigns) and a warrantyable repair order line can be generated merely by the presence of an "open field action" immediately visible when they enter your VIN into their online systems.
Just one of many small hurdles necessary to insure a fair and equitable warranty system for all parties involved.

If you got your car booked in I guess you got the point across.
WOT

tewcpa
10-09-2013, 10:00 PM
I took my 2013 in for a sticking charge door this morning and they gave me a copy of this and said they are doing it as well.

Same for me and a nebulous check engine light which seems to be caused by the sticking charge door. OnStar told me to go to a dealer. I also had them bring the tires up to 37, top up windshield washer fluid, and found out to replace the front air dam (the deep one) is $120 (I forgot if that was just the part cost) Is that the standard price?

HotVolts
10-14-2013, 01:48 PM
My 2012 died on the freeway (scary.) I called roadside and got a tow to dealer. Volt advisor said recent software update caused problem and dealer will reflash to fix. Apparently it's not just the 2013's, so I'd call your volt advisor and get this fixed before you're put in a dangerous situation.

10/16/13 Update: My Volt was "re-flashed" per the converter recall, and is driving fine. However, I live in bone-dry Phoenix, and it shutdown without the help of a single drop of water.

10/17/13 Update: Confirmed with Volt advisor the Inverter recall affects 2011-2013 Volts. Most of the time a fault results in the Volt not being able to start. Mine was a rare case in which it shut-down while driving. My problem was solved with a reflash. Volt advisor encourages Volt owners to be proactive in determining whether or not their vehicles need a reflash.

HotVolts
10-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Pretty sure, this bug only effects vehicles in the "Delayed Charging" mode. The 2013's, at least, can be put in the "Charge Immediatley" mode to avoid a total system shutdown.

Dyohn
10-14-2013, 02:08 PM
And this is why there should be NO software updates unless they are necessary to sustain the safe operation of the car.

Loboc
10-14-2013, 02:15 PM
So, by 'recent software update caused problem', you mean that it was flashed once before?

I don't get anything 'fixed' that works fine the way it is. Especially software updates. When the VIN is checked during service, they should know what is really needed and what is optional.

Henry_FL
10-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Sounds more like dealership mumbo-jumbo to the owner than a real issue

HotVolts
10-14-2013, 02:17 PM
So, by 'recent software update caused problem', you mean that it was flashed once before?

I don't get anything 'fixed' that works fine the way it is. Especially software updates. When the VIN is checked during service, they should know what is really needed and what is optional.

No, it hadn't been re-flashed. To my knowledge, the Volt automatically receives updates to it's software via the OnStar system. The Volt Advisor said they put out an update, and now Volt's are randomly shutting down while driving.

Henry_FL
10-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Nope, Onstar does NOT send updates that way, your getting you chain yanked to make it sound like they found something

HotVolts
10-14-2013, 02:23 PM
See Also:

GM has software repair for Volt Motor can shut down on 2013 models (http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-10-23/business/chi-gm-has-software-repair-for-volt-20121023_1_volts-electric-motor-gm)

HotVolts
10-14-2013, 02:27 PM
Nope, Onstar does NOT send updates that way, your getting you chain yanked to make it sound like they found something

I stand corrected, but still, this is a safety issue, and my Volt Advisor said they're getting a lot of this, and the fix is a dealer re-flash. So, one would assume any Volt can be affected, and that's why I'm posting. I'd take a moment to call 888-865-8496 to see if your car is in any danger of shutting off at speed, because take it from me, that's not a fun situation.

ViperRT10Matt
10-14-2013, 02:31 PM
And this is why there should be NO software updates unless they are necessary to sustain the safe operation of the car.

What makes you think the QA process that goes into the updates is any worse than the QA that goes into the original software?

ClarksonCote
10-14-2013, 02:42 PM

Actually, I've heard this may be happening. Way back, I was asked to participate in a pilot of this happening, but the pilot seemed to never take place. I thought they started pushing some small subset of updates automatically via OnStar. I could be wrong though.

Codyozz
10-14-2013, 02:50 PM
So this is a different problem then the inverter update I heard about last week? We live in a very wet climate, I think the wet sensor issue alone is pushing me to take our car in this week. So now it's two things the update fixes, but might also break after it fixes?

HotVolts
10-14-2013, 03:10 PM
So this is a different problem then the inverter update I heard about last week? We live in a very wet climate, I think the wet sensor issue alone is pushing me to take our car in this week. So now it's two things the update fixes, but might also break after it fixes?

I didn't know about the inverter item you speak of. My car (I'm the original poster) hasn't ever been updated or re-flashed before. It's bone stock the way it came from the factory (unless there were 'over the air' updates which I didn't request or know about.)

Henry_FL
10-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Your Volt Adviser is just guessing, the 2013 issue has never ever been reported to effect older Volts, this is just a guess on the advisers part and until the dealer actually finds the faults its just one big guess

JetPIC
10-14-2013, 03:43 PM

Wrong. The fact that there is an update means that something was not right, hence the need for correction.

RGaley
10-14-2013, 03:47 PM

I got hit by this one a few days ago. Heavy rainstorm at Walmart, opened the hatch to load from the shopping cart. Got in to leave and the computer basicly asked me to get out and push. Called roadside, and 2 hrs later when the flatbet arrived I was able to start the car and drive it to a better place to load up. Service dept at the dealership had it fixed in half of a day.

I firmly believe the problem sensor is inside, or accessible from the rear compartment, because I take my Volt through a car wash every Sunday evening.

Dyohn
10-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Wrong. The fact that there is an update means that something was not right, hence the need for correction.

Wrong. (see, i can do that too.) The update caused the issue in some cars. Most needed nothing corrected.

erewhon
10-14-2013, 04:05 PM

Hmmm. I had my Volt in last week for its every-two-year oil change, and they mentioned a software update related to the inverter and problems with wet weather. I had them apply the update. My Volt has not quit yet.

scrambler
10-14-2013, 04:10 PM
What makes you think the QA process that goes into the updates is any worse than the QA that goes into the original software?

I donít think it is the issue behind the ďif it is not broke donít fix itĒ.

The way I see it is the following:
Every software version has bugs. Apart from the big ones that will affect a majority of people on a critical issue and must be fixed ASAP, they will be bugs that only manifest in a very specific and rare combination of car and user manipulation.

If when you get your car none of these bugs manifest themselves, you are just lucky not to be in any of these car/use combinations.

If you make an update, you roll the dice again, and the fact the bugs in the previous version did not manifest for you do not mean that the bugs in the new version wont. Hence if you are not having problems and do not want to take a chance on a new update, then donít do it. If you donít mind the risk then do it.

This is a very personal thing. But when you do an update the chances that bugs in that update will manifest for you are reset and unlinked to the chances you had with the previous version.

BAZINGA
10-14-2013, 04:13 PM
I don't know of what software update you mention, bug I just had my 2012 in for service and they checked my VIN and the ONLY software update needed was for the POWER INVERTER. So it's based on your VIN not a blanket every 2012 needs an update.

Did your 2012 Volt get the POWER INVERTER update?

Henry_FL
10-14-2013, 04:45 PM
At this point, this entire thread is conjecture, based on a single Volt Advisers comments. Hopefully the OP can report back when the DEALER has repaired the car, and then we will have something factual to discuss.

sectime
10-14-2013, 05:08 PM
At this point, this entire thread is conjecture, based on a single Volt Advisers comments. Hopefully the OP can report back when the DEALER has repaired the car, and then we will have something factual to discuss.
Apparently the Volt Advisor program isn't what it used to be. Resources follow the money.

Steverino
10-14-2013, 05:28 PM
Apparently the Volt Advisor program isn't what it used to be. Resources follow the money.

Volt Advisors have never been technical advisors. Never have been. They are primarily there to smooth out wrinkles in the owner's interactions with dealers. They try to be helpful and often are, but they are not the final word on technical issues, problems, etc.

sectime
10-14-2013, 05:47 PM
Based on personal experience, they are bubbly, pleasant, try to be helpful.

Maz94protege
10-14-2013, 09:28 PM
weird. I just now put my '13 Volt on a delayed/charge schedule because of my updated tiered EV Home electricity plan allowing .06-.08 cents per kWh on late night charging at the reduced rate. But I have yet to have any issues since day one (FEB '13). Once in a while (like 3x since Feb) i have had the center console/electrical system restart while driving with the start up chime. but had zero effect on the safety and drivability of the car. it was odd, but did not concern me.

As far as this new issue....id think OnStar or Chevy would send us out letters/emails of some statement regarding this issue. If the car shuts down for no reason... this is an issue. hopefully it does not result in any accidents with anyone or it will taint the reputation of GM (again, first time was killing the ev-1) and temporarily kill the EV market for these cars.

Im due for an oil change and tire rotation in the upcoming weeks, ill discuss it with the dealer then...wether anything happens or not.

lspyle
10-15-2013, 03:02 PM
FYI, I received an email from Onstar a few days ago saying that the dealer would be in touch. Chevrolet of Irvine then emailed me that my Volt has a "recall" so it must be coming from somewhere.

HotVolts
10-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Update: My Volt was "re-flashed" per the converter recall, and is driving fine. However, I live in bone-dry Phoenix, and it shutdown without the help of a single drop of water.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
10-16-2013, 04:29 PM
HotVolts,

It sounds like you had CSP:12241 completed, which is different than the Power Inverter Module Reprogram. Could you please PM me the last 8 of your VIN and which dealership you are working with. I would like to see if that was applied.

Thank you,

tewcpa
10-16-2013, 06:47 PM
OnStar told me to go to the dealer for an "update" because the charger door wasn't always opening and I had a check engine light come on every now and then. I did and so far so good.

Cord
10-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Time to count the number of CPU's and flashable module in the Volt again :-)

http://www.edn.com/design/automotive/4372600/3/Teardown-reveals-Chevy-Volt-s-electronic-secrets.

( or as my sister yelled at me once " What the hell , I have to update the software (firmware) in my keyboard too "

Dryad001
10-17-2013, 11:43 AM
This is odd. My wife drive a 2013 and we were contacted by GM for the update flash. Never had a problem before the flash but now we are experiencing a loss in battery life.

Before the flash she was averaging close to 50 miles per charge, now she can only manage about 25. Does anyone else experience this "problem" as well?

Chevrolet Customer Svc
10-17-2013, 12:32 PM
The OP did not have a "Re-Flash" completed. Campaign 13202 Power Inverter Module Reprogram was applied.

Dryad001 I recommend contacting your Advisor if your range suddenly dropped in half.

casualsurfer
10-17-2013, 01:17 PM
I will be running the delayed charging feature in a week or so after my 240V charging station is installed. Should I get a flash update before then?

16falcon
10-17-2013, 01:22 PM
I will be running the delayed charging feature in a week or so after my 240V charging station is installed. Should I get a flash update before then?

I have been using delayed charging for 6 months with no issues. I wouldn't worry about it. I will take mine in for the Power Inverter reflash, but I'm in no hurry.

Dyohn
10-17-2013, 01:42 PM
As Ian says above. it is not a "re flash." In any case, my 2013 is one year old now and I use the delayed charge feature every day. No issues whatsoever.

deekster_caddy
10-17-2013, 05:42 PM
Before the flash she was averaging close to 50 miles per charge, now she can only manage about 25. Does anyone else experience this "problem" as well?

Check your "Auto Defog" setting?

Cord
10-18-2013, 10:55 PM
Plus the odds are the process reset the range and collected data used to calculate the estimated range to default.

Slapshot28
10-20-2013, 08:05 AM
Yesterday I took in my 2011 Volt for a new EVSE and was surprised to hear them say that a recall was available. (I'm not 100% sure that he used that word.). It turned out to be Campaign 13202. Took 20 minutes. No worries.

NoRegrets78
10-20-2013, 11:26 AM
Just took mine in for an inspection and the did this update. 2013.

kaybee
10-23-2013, 12:49 PM
I was in for service today (passenger seat heater broken), and they did the update for the power inverter module.
I have a 2012.

DCFusor
10-23-2013, 02:09 PM
Well, they call them stealerships for a reason. I was told by mine that the battery stiffener upgrade was a required recall, when it wasn't. I don't even let them rotate the tires, since they charge far more than the local shop. I have a pure unmodified 2012, like it the way it is, (other than the heat sucking power wastefully, when an 800w ceramic heater heats the cabin better), and don't trust those guys one bit. Even when they are just stealing from GM to do for a "flat rate" something that probably takes them seconds, but they get an hour's pay for it.

Last time I went to my dealer for a repair on a Buick, airbag light, they replaced parts at a total cost to me of nearly $1200 - and didn't fix it. Took it back and they fixed it (free this time, kind of) claiming it had just been a bad connection all along, but refused to refund me for all the other useless work.
In the process, they totally fried a $3k aftermarket show quality stereo by turning it all the way up for their entertainment. So I was out 4 grand on a car not worth that much.

And they wonder why they have a bad reputation? They should call it a dis-service department. And this is not a new thing. I bought a firebird in '76 from Koons auto (in Tyson's corner when I lived near there), brought it in for the 6 mo check/tuneup, and it was $750 on a brand new, flawless car.
Complaining, they just showed me their "hours/job" book and their $75/hr shop prices. As if it takes an hour to check differential fluid once you've got the car up on a rack to do an oil change anyway. Last I did it, it was more like 2 minutes - for an amateur without a nice lift.

No wonder stealerships spend so much money on lobbying to keep themselves out there - think Tesla and Texas for one example. Legalized bribery and theft is still theft, and still immoral, no matter how they spin it.

css28
10-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Mine got done yesterday.

The service advisor referred to it as a recall when it came up on the computer.

MrEnergyCzar
10-23-2013, 08:00 PM
"It has come to our attention that a recall item has been issued on your Chevrolet Volt. We take your safety seriously and would like to get this taken care of in a timely manner at NO CHARGE TO YOU! Our trained technicians can perform the recommended procedures to keep your vehicle in optimal condition and get you back on the road quickly."

Recall Campaign Number : 2013202
POWER INVERTER MODULE REPROGRAM

What is this about?

css28
10-23-2013, 08:06 PM
I believe that was applied to my car yesterday.

If I recall, it addresses the possibility of the car shutting down unexpectedly if delayed charging has been used.

There's been another tread that has debated its status as a recall vs. a technical service bulletin. [Oops, I guess that was this thread LOL]

MrEnergyCzar
10-23-2013, 08:27 PM
I believe that was applied to my car yesterday.

If I recall, it addresses the possibility of the car shutting down unexpectedly if delayed charging has been used.

There's been another tread that has debated it's status as a reall vs. a technical service bulletin.

Did they apply it virtually through onstar downloading or at the dealer yesterday?

thanks

css28
10-23-2013, 08:31 PM
At the dealer.

Cheezmo
10-23-2013, 08:48 PM
I had it done when mine was in for something else. Funny a very defensive volt advisor chimed in here and said it was NOT a recall. It was just a service advisory but some dealers were calling it a recall. Letter said recall, right?

BAZINGA
10-23-2013, 08:59 PM
"It has come to our attention that a recall item has been issued on your Chevrolet Volt. We take your safety seriously and would like to get this taken care of in a timely manner at NO CHARGE TO YOU! Our trained technicians can perform the recommended procedures to keep your vehicle in optimal condition and get you back on the road quickly."

What is this about?

I didn't receive any RECALL notice but when I had our 2012 in for an oil change and tire rotation it was listed on my receipt when I picked it up. Does anyone know what it fixes and how it affects the operation of our Volt?

Selling Volts At Sundance
10-23-2013, 09:10 PM
I had it done when mine was in for something else. Funny a very defensive volt advisor chimed in here and said it was NOT a recall. It was just a service advisory but some dealers were calling it a recall. Letter said recall, right?

Here is the posting for my VIN on the GM Service Portal-

Type -----------------------Number--- Original Nbr --------------Description --------------- ReleaseDate ----Status

Service Update Bulletins -N130202 -13202 - POWER INVERTER MODULE REPROGRAM --09/27/2013 ---------Open

If this holds format, this is the notice for my MY2012 Chevy Volt EREV. Not flagged as a recall but as a Service Update.

Many Service Techs will call any action a recall. The fact is, there has been no Safety Recalls on the Chevy Voltec Platform, with the exception of a handful of specific VIN Volts as mentioned on this forum.

Pretty much unheard of in the Auto Industry.

Now, WOP on Tour, our in house Super Moderator may have a comment or two to make on this topic. The recommendation is to schedule an appointment at an affirming Volt Dealer and have the inverter chip flash done.

This is not the same service advisement that was issued last spring concerning a delayed charging glich affecting some Volts in the wild. That has been corrected.

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

517-622-6081

Twitter.com/AmazingChevVolt

WopOnTour
10-23-2013, 09:14 PM

What is this about?This letter must have come from your DEALER correct? (not directly from GM)
Don't sweat it too much. AS you can see from this older thread (I merged yours into here) it pertains to the potential for a particular DTC to set falsly, potentially leaving the car in a "No Go" state. Next time you are in the dealer for some other service (eg tire rotation, oil change etc) they will want to reflash the PIM at that time.
OR you can schedule an appointment specifically for this reflash should you so desire.

WOT

MrEnergyCzar
10-23-2013, 09:32 PM
This letter must have come from your DEALER correct? (not directly from GM)
Don't sweat it too much. AS you can see from this older thread (I merged yours into here) it pertains to the potential for a particular DTC to set falsly, potentially leaving the car in a "No Go" state. Next time you are in the dealer for some other service (eg tire rotation, oil change etc) they will want to reflash the PIM at that time.
OR you can schedule an appointment specifically for this reflash should you so desire.

WOT

Thanks WOP, yes, it was from the dealer. Nice to get an official response from the top Volt dog here... I had just begun getting car washes where they do the undercarriage, weekly. I wonder if that triggered it....

Thanks,
MrEnergyCzar

mikeg3
10-23-2013, 11:25 PM
Merriam Webster's dictionary defines "recall" as: a public call by a manufacturer for the return of a product that may be defective or contaminated

So those service advisers were using the Queen's English correctly. A recall may or may not involve safety.

css28
10-24-2013, 07:41 AM
I think legal definitions trump dictionary definitions.

Mathew Hennessy
10-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Mine was done when I had the front tire replaced. Too bad it didn't fix the infotainment system changing modes bug (while playing a podcast from my iPod, it keeps switching from Nav back to full-screen iPod, I keep having to hit Nav to get the Nav screen back. SO ANNOYING!!)

mikeg3
10-24-2013, 03:30 PM
I think legal definitions trump dictionary definitions.

The courts often look to Merriam Webster but you could be right.

Where can I find the exact legal definition of recall as opposed to safety recall?

css28
10-24-2013, 03:59 PM
The NHTSA seems to refer to them simply as recalls.

WopOnTour
10-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Merriam Webster's dictionary defines "recall" as: a public call by a manufacturer for the return of a product that may be defective or contaminated

So those service advisers were using the Queen's English correctly. A recall may or may not involve safety.This may be grammatically correct, BUT in this case the manufacturer IS NOT calling for the return of the product.
If this was so, affected owners would be contacted directly by the corporation via mail and notice posted in the public domain via NHTSA.
That isn't what is happening here.
WOT

jashev
10-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Just had this done today when I went in to get my tires rotated. On the dealer invoice it has a section called "Recalls/Campaigns". Under that section, they listed the following:

OPEN RECALL 13202
RECALL
REPROGRAMED POWER INVERTER
0090 9090
CODE S1BE1

Just FYI.

WopOnTour
10-25-2013, 02:52 PM
Just had this done today when I went in to get my tires rotated. On the dealer invoice it has a section called "Recalls/Campaigns". Under that section, they listed the following:

OPEN RECALL 13202
RECALL
REPROGRAMED POWER INVERTER
0090 9090
CODE S1BE1

Just FYI.This has previously been discussed in this very thread.
That's merely how the dealers computer system has been configured to auto-print the receipt for work performed under all "campaigns".
The dealer's point-of-sale systems are NOT provided by, or regulated by GM.
But it's clear certain dealer interaction is causing confusion.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?76170-Power-Inverter-Module-Service-Bulletin-on-2011-13-Volts&p=1001098#post1001098

Some dealership personnel and even booking/repair order computer systems (not provided by GM by the way, they are sourced from various authorized 3rd party vendors) These systems (or those typing in the data) MIGHT incorrectly refer to any "campaign" as a recall. But in a "recall" campaign an attempt is made to contact owners of all of the affected vehicles is made (again by GM corp via mail not the dealer).

So once again- NOT a recall and nothing to lose any sleep over.
WopOnTour

So it's certainly not considered a "recall" by the corporation, but people here or at the dealership can refer to is as they wish...
WOT

nh-srt8
10-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Dealer called me today to schedule a tire rotation. Explained mileage was only 3,500 so it wasn't required. Then he told me it needed a software update for a recall. When I explained I hadn't got a notification from OnStar about a recall he then said that "well it's technically not a recall but a recommended update for the inverter". Anyone else heard for this? I just had my MY13 TX Volt in for a tire rotation and they did not perform any software updates. I was planning on contacting the Volt Advisor on Monday to see if they could provide any info.

css28
10-26-2013, 06:28 PM
Dealer called me today to schedule a tire rotation. Explained mileage was only 3,500 so it wasn't required. Then he told me it needed a software update for a recall. When I explained I hadn't got a notification from OnStar about a recall he then said that "well it's technically not a recall but a recommended update for the inverter". Anyone else heard for this? I just had my MY13 TX Volt in for a tire rotation and they did not perform any software updates. I was planning on contacting the Volt Advisor on Monday to see if they could provide any info.

There's a thread about this (http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?76170-Power-Inverter-Module-Service-Bulletin-on-2011-13-Volts). I took my car in for an intermittent heat problem and this update came up on the service advisor's computer. I opted to have I done and have experienced no change in the way the car behaves.

Fulgerite
10-26-2013, 07:11 PM
Considering the update is supposedly to prevent "propulsion system failure" in damp weather. (As we head into winter...) I think I would let them perform the update.

BAZINGA
10-26-2013, 07:12 PM
It's NOT a RECALL but if your Volt's VIN falls within the range requiring the update they will apply it. It was done to my 2012 when I was in for an oil change/tire rotation.

10-26-2013, 07:45 PM
Pulled VIN history for my MY2012 Chevy Volt EREV- Yup, it's there.

Shows up as an Open Service Advisement, just a software update-

Will take care of it, later next week.

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

Sundance Chevrolet Inc.

517-622-6081

brentalan
10-26-2013, 07:46 PM
I had it done to my car too. As a previous poster mentioned, I never encountered the issue and nothing changed after the update, so I'd recommend getting it done.

Loboc
10-27-2013, 04:16 AM
We may someday get to the point where we have an 'update Tuesday' like Microsoft. :)

petefoss
10-27-2013, 09:42 AM
We may someday get to the point where we have an 'update Tuesday' like Microsoft. :)

God I hope not!

telveer
10-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Here is how you can can check for GM recalls on your VIN: https://my.gm.com/web/portal/recalls

If it's not here and your dealer does something, it is most likely a customer satisfaction service or a non-critical bulletin which the dealer performs on your next visit.

ClarksonCote
10-28-2013, 03:43 PM
Of interest, I brought in my Volt for the intermittent heat issue and the Nav/Bluetooth issue, where the Nav screen keeps flipping back to the music when Bluetooth is hooked up.

Dealer mentioned this "recall" (Grr, wish they'd call it something else) and claimed that the other issues I was bringing in my Volt for have been solved by the inverter module upgrade as well. They said the software is current and I should have my other problems resolved.

I sure hope that's true; it'd be nice to make sure all Volt owners don't mistake the intermittent heat issue for lackluster heat performance in an EV.

WOT: Any chance you can confirm if the software gets updated in such a way as to address these other issues as well?

css28
10-28-2013, 03:56 PM
My intermittent heat issue was not solved by the inverter module update last week.

The car's in for a fresh try at the heater issue.

Here's hoping.

ClarksonCote
10-28-2013, 04:25 PM
My intermittent heat issue was not solved by the inverter module update last week.

The car's in for a fresh try at the heater issue.

Here's hoping.

Ugh. It's so discouraging to be told information from dealers that is not true.

koric1
10-29-2013, 07:51 AM
Hello... how did you pull the VIN history to get that info?

css28
10-29-2013, 10:06 AM
Hello... how did you pull the VIN history to get that info?

I believe "Selling Volts at Sundance" works for a dealership and that's how he did that.

Tom plug 2 go
10-31-2013, 02:04 PM
Today on my way in to work, I impailed a large screw in my right rear tire..... bad luck. I was due for a tire rotation and so was able to get that done along with the tire repair. The service department informed me my car had an "open service recall" which had do with the battery management system. It's unfortunate that we don't get notices about these available updates. The service manager said the update may improve battery efficiency. Anyone else know what this update might improve with regard to electric miles? Thanks to everyone for all the valuable information foundon Gm-Volt.

Steverino
10-31-2013, 02:42 PM
No idea. I know nothing about this. Is there a service bulletin number?

Chevrolet Customer Svc
10-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Today on my way in to work, I impailed a large screw in my right rear tire..... bad luck. I was due for a tire rotation and so was able to get that done along with the tire repair. The service department informed me my car had an "open service recall" which had do with the battery management system. It's unfortunate that we don't get notices about these available updates. The service manager said the update may improve battery efficiency. Anyone else know what this update might improve with regard to electric miles? Thanks to everyone for all the valuable information foundon Gm-Volt.

Hi Tom plug 2 go,

I checked your VIN and the only campaign open on your Volt is the Power Inverter Module Reprogram #13202
There is nothing else available, I would contact your Advisor so they can speak to your dealership.

Noel Park
10-31-2013, 02:49 PM
No idea. I know nothing about this. Is there a service bulletin number?

I got an email from my dealer the other day about scheduled tire rotation which also mentioned this. Kind of mysterious for sure. If anybody knows anything it would sure be interesting.

Noel Park
10-31-2013, 02:53 PM
Ian @ #3,

So what does that "Reprogram" do?

Inquiring minds want to know, LOL.

BAZINGA
10-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Ian @ #3,

I too had it done when I had my 2012 in for a routine oil change/tire rotation. I have noticed no difference in how my car operates, behaves or my electric range.

Oh regardless of what is in the GM system IT IS NOT A RECALL.

Tom plug 2 go
10-31-2013, 03:12 PM
Well all I know is that the service advisor (Kelly Mussay) at Bud Weiser motors in Beloit, WI checked, she told me my car had an open service recall. They performed the update. I did not get the recall letter they indicate below... Maybe it just went to the dealers...

Here's the specifics from the work order:

44CVZ: CAMPAIGN
13202 POWER REPROGRAM
caused by
SIBB6
Work performed by TB
REPROGRAM T6 POWER INVERTER MODULE PER RECALL LETTER

ClarksonCote
10-31-2013, 03:19 PM
It sounds like your dealers are talking about the Inverter Module Reprogramming. There are many other threads on here about that.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
10-31-2013, 03:22 PM
Ian @ #3,

Hi Noel Park,

Sure

"This bulletin provides a service procedure to reprogram the power inverter module on certain 2011-2013 model year Chevrolet Volt vehicles. In wet conditions, water may wick along the Driver Motor 2 Position Sensor wires. If the water enters into the sensor body, it could set a diagnostic code, which illuminates the Check Engine lamp and requests propulsion to be inactive. The condition has occurred most often while parked, which results in a "no-start" condition, but could occur in other driving situations. The vehicle can be started once the water has evaporated."

David B. Kelting
10-31-2013, 03:23 PM
I just scheduled an appointment with my dealer for the Power Inverter Module Software reprogram...through my Volt Advisor (I have 34k miles - no time to waste!). My Volt advisor told me that the car may not start or even stop while in motion if water worked its way into some component.

I asked that they check my VIN number for additional Bulletins. There is nothing else at this time.

I'll talk to the Service Manager about the spoiler banging while I'm there.

BAZINGA
10-31-2013, 03:29 PM
And one more thing for folks reading this thread later on - regardless of what is in the GM system IT IS NOT A RECALL.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
10-31-2013, 03:32 PM
Well all I know is that the service advisor (Kelly Mussay) at Bud Weiser motors in Beloit, WI checked, she told me my car had an open service recall. They performed the update. I did not get the recall letter they indicate below... Maybe it just went to the dealers...

Here's the specifics from the work order:

44CVZ: CAMPAIGN
13202 POWER REPROGRAM
caused by
SIBB6
Work performed by TB
REPROGRAM T6 POWER INVERTER MODULE PER RECALL LETTER

Hi Tom plug 2 go,

Dealers use a Third Party computer system to look up campaigns and updates. Everything that attaches to the VIN in the system comes up as Recall, I do not know why. I can assure you that if there was a Recall you would be informed by GM and Chevrolet via mail and your Advisor would notify you. WopOnTour explained it better in another thread.

Bob_Livonia
10-31-2013, 03:33 PM
Bud Weiser motors in Beloit, WI

Really?! Well, it made Bud wiser. People in Wisconsin like their beer.

David B. Kelting
10-31-2013, 03:36 PM
Really?! Well, it made Bud wiser. People in Wisconsin like their beer.

That can't be a real name! ;)

Bob_Livonia
10-31-2013, 03:47 PM
That can't be a real name! ;)

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/s720x720/416834_10150706484931282_1067048607_n.jpg

Noel Park
10-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Ian @ #9,

Thanks. It's always reassuring to see that you all are monitoring this stuff.

As dry as it's been here I guess I don't have to panic over this, LOL. I'll get it done next week.

scottf200
10-31-2013, 04:09 PM
It sounds like your dealers are talking about the Inverter Module Reprogramming. There are many other threads on here about that.

A google search on this site using the site keyword shows them:

site:gm-volt.com 13202
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Agm-volt.com%2013202

David B. Kelting
10-31-2013, 04:44 PM
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/s720x720/416834_10150706484931282_1067048607_n.jpg

I'm sorry, I wasn't saying that I didn't believe you...I just meant that maybe that wasn't the owners real name.?

Bob_Livonia
10-31-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm sorry, I wasn't saying that I didn't believe you...I just meant that maybe that wasn't the owners real name.?

Nothing to be sorry about - I thought it was kind of interesting and funny - certainly makes for name recognition for the dealer. Years ago when I lived in Dayton Ohio, I lived near Jack Goff Ford, and I could hear the outside PA announcements - "Jack Goff, telephone, line 1, Jack Goff, telephone."

Tom plug 2 go
10-31-2013, 05:35 PM
Thanks to everyone - and sorry I caused unecessary confussion by not searching the forum for previous info on this subject. We did establish three things:
1. That 13202 is NOT A RECALL - but an update that really needs to be done to help prevent stalling.
2. There really IS a Bud Weiser Motors in Beloit, WI
3. Our Volt advisors are on top of our problems including Ian who has helped me out before.

Thanks again and this matter is officially closed!

imanjunk1963
10-31-2013, 05:36 PM

Uh that was Bud Weiser not Wiser as it seems.

imanjunk1963
10-31-2013, 05:38 PM
I got an email from my dealer the other day about scheduled tire rotation which also mentioned this. Kind of mysterious for sure. If anybody knows anything it would sure be interesting.

Well as happened to me today, when you got your volt you probably worked with the on star advisor to set it up at which time they probably asked you like they did to me today...if you wanted the dealer to notify you of maintenance and specials...you might have said yes. I picked my new 2014 volt up today....

Noel Park
10-31-2013, 07:14 PM
Nothing to be sorry about - I thought it was kind of interesting and funny - certainly makes for name recognition for the dealer. Years ago when I lived in Dayton Ohio, I lived near Jack Goff Ford, and I could hear the outside PA announcements - "Jack Goff, telephone, line 1, Jack Goff, telephone."

LOL. Literally. Thanks for the laugh.

Noel Park
10-31-2013, 07:16 PM
Thanks to everyone - and sorry I caused unecessary confussion by not searching the forum for previous info on this subject. We did establish three things:
1. That 13202 is NOT A RECALL - but an update that really needs to be done to help prevent stalling.
3. Our Volt advisors are on top of our problems including Ian who has helped me out before.

Don't be sorry. My deler sent me an email and they called it a "recall". Actually, your efforts clarified the thing for me and helped me not to worry too much about it.

Well done.

Noel Park
10-31-2013, 07:19 PM
Well as happened to me today, when you got your volt you probably worked with the on star advisor to set it up at which time they probably asked you like they did to me today...if you wanted the dealer to notify you of maintenance and specials...you might have said yes. I picked my new 2014 volt up today....

Yeah, I'm fine with it. I was just mystified that nothing came in the mail and I never saw it mentioned here. And I wondered what it was about as the dealer email offered no information.

As usual, GM-Volt.com educates and enlightens me.

Henry_FL
10-31-2013, 09:02 PM
Dealers use the word "RECALL" to get unsuspecting owners in for other for profit work.

There are no recalls on the Volt and never have been

shiranpuri
11-01-2013, 12:23 AM
There are no recalls on the Volt and never have been
IIRC, there's been ONE recall, that affected a total of FOUR volts.

DonC
11-01-2013, 12:56 AM
GM might need to be more proactive on this type of thing. When you go to the dealer every two years you can miss a bunch of bulletins.

I also remember there was something about four Volts being recalled.

imanjunk1963
11-01-2013, 09:52 AM
Nevermind seems that link has both recall and service tabs listed on it..but if there is some other web page too please list.
====
Is there a link anyone to search for service bulletins? I noticed the search for reacall link as it seems they are 2 different things from above.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
11-01-2013, 11:05 AM

Good Morning Tom plug 2 go!

No need for apologies! I am definitely here for you guys and it's awesome how you everyone helps each other out! With out all of you there would be no Volt today!!!!

Nanabanana
11-09-2013, 01:48 PM
I am an owner since Dec 2012. Since then I have had one glitch or another come up with my Volt. I take it in to the Dealer who by the way have been excellent, and they work on it. They can sometimes duplicate my problem but most of the time not. I am a customer service rep for my company and experience the same issues in a different industry. I have a new compassion for customers who have this same problem. I have only owned this car 23 months. I've put 13,000 miles on it. The rainbow affect on my dash, the surging, the warning bells while driving for a number of reasons, the check engine light (by itself) upon start up and the most recent, engine chirping while plugged in to charge with a burning smell and smoke in the garage. My husband is a Mechanical Contractor and went to work immediately checking the wiring, the receptacle and panel to see if our electric service could have created this smoke and chirping. He found nothing wrong. I have all my invoices and I know they have not documented all of the issues I've had with this car. I got a speeding ticket going 25 miles over the limit at 1 a.m. I took my invoices with me to court and the Judge dismissed the charges. I havent had a speeding ticket in 18 years. My car is at the dealer now because they couldn't load the software 10 days ago when I took it in for the recall. I was told this should eliminate a number of the things I have experienced with this car. 10 days after I dropped it off GM Software Engineers showed up at the Dealership to figure out why. Turns out the "Check Engine Light" that had been coming on at start up did actually mean something. They claim the car needs a "P.I.M." Power Inverter Module. I am at this point asking them to take this car,"this unit," back to the factory for research & development. I want another car that works. Without all the "BAD bells & whistles" the first one came with. I love the Checy Volt. It's an awesome vehicle. I just think mine was painted the wrong color. Instead of Black it should have been Yellow. It is as far as I am concerned a lemon. I want another Volt that doesn't have so many electrical glitches. And I want it at no expense. I paid for one that is supposed to work. I have owned brand new cars before. And yes I have taken them back for minor issues. Like a pwoer window module that did not take the window all the way up or down. And a fuel filter issue. I didn't need to continously take the cars back for this and that. I have filled my Jeep Grand Cherokee up 3 times with Gas since this has happened. It operating better then the Volt. It is a 2006 with 110,000 miles on it. I feel GM owes me a car that doesn't have the issues this one does. Anyone out there have any of the problems I have had with any model of Car, have any suggestions please let me know. I am not happy with the "GM" product. It is the first time I've owned a GM.

MrEnergyCzar
11-09-2013, 02:12 PM
I have a note to get my Power Inverter Module "reflashed" the next time I go to the dealer. I forgot what the symptom was that had someone on this forum recommend the reflashing though... I'd be calling your Volt advisor more....

MrEnergyCzar

Jeff N
11-09-2013, 03:08 PM
The rainbow affect on my dash, the surging, the warning bells while driving for a number of reasons, the check engine light (by itself) upon start up and the most recent, engine chirping while plugged in to charge with a burning smell and smoke in the garage.....

I have no idea what "rainbow effect on my dash" means. Can you describe that in more detail?

Similarly, what surging are you noticing? Does this happen in 'D' or 'L'? Does it happen when you are gliding down the road or when you are braking? Does it happen when you are driving on the battery? When you are driving with the gas engine on? Please describe.

The only time I've had warning bells while driving was related to a front passenger (or heavy object of some kind on the chair) not wearing a seat belt. What caused the chimes you were hearing?

The check engine light is an all-purpose warning light that something is amiss. Usually it is a minor issue. There is always one or more specific error codes that cause the check engine light to come on. The dealer or the OnStar operator can determine what the actual error code numbers are and can tell you what the real problem is and how serious it is. I can be as simple as not sufficiently tightening the gas cap after stopping at a gas station.

The chirping (from the engine?) is probably a error indication that power was unstable or being interrupted during a battery charge. The only issue that you have described that is inherently and obviously serious from your description is this burning smell and smoke in the garage. Were you charging with the 120v charge cord that came with the car or with a 240v charging station that you had installed in your garage by an electrician?

I got a speeding ticket going 25 miles over the limit at 1 a.m. I took my invoices with me to court and the Judge dismissed the charges. I havent had a speeding ticket in 18 years.

You are the first person that I'm aware of that says their Volt somehow mysteriously caused them to drive 25 mph too fast. Can you provide more details?

My car is at the dealer now because they couldn't load the software 10 days ago when I took it in for the recall. I was told this should eliminate a number of the things I have experienced with this car. 10 days after I dropped it off GM Software Engineers showed up at the Dealership to figure out why. Turns out the "Check Engine Light" that had been coming on at start up did actually mean something. They claim the car needs a "P.I.M." Power Inverter Module.

Did they say they were physically replacing the PIM (because of the burning smell during charging) or did they just say they were going to do a software update to the PIM? There is a PIM software update that is recommended for a large number of Volts on the road today.

The Power Inverter Module software update wouldn't fix any of the issues you are describing but there are likely other software updates that they are also installing. The PIM update just relaxes an overly sensitive safety check that can be caused by minor water intrusion during very wet conditions into an electrical cable in the engine compartment.

DonC
11-09-2013, 03:40 PM
The Volt is a rolling piece of electronics and many of those electronics are run off the 12v battery. The APM charges the 12v battery. If the APM wasn't working correctly, the 12v might not get a full charge, its voltage would drop, and you could get any number of bizarre behaviors. In fact when people start reporting very odd behaviors the first thing folks on this board suggest is to test the 12v.

Upper5Percent
11-09-2013, 06:50 PM
I am an owner since Dec 2012. Since then I have had one glitch or another come up with my Volt. I take it in to the Dealer who by the way have been excellent, and they work on it. They can sometimes duplicate my problem but most of the time not. I am a customer service rep for my company and experience the same issues in a different industry. I have a new compassion for customers who have this same problem. I have only owned this car 23 months. I've put 13,000 miles on it. The rainbow affect on my dash, the surging, the warning bells while driving for a number of reasons, the check engine light (by itself) upon start up and the most recent, engine chirping while plugged in to charge with a burning smell and smoke in the garage. My husband is a Mechanical Contractor and went to work immediately checking the wiring, the receptacle and panel to see if our electric service could have created this smoke and chirping. He found nothing wrong. I have all my invoices and I know they have not documented all of the issues I've had with this car. I got a speeding ticket going 25 miles over the limit at 1 a.m. I took my invoices with me to court and the Judge dismissed the charges. I havent had a speeding ticket in 18 years. My car is at the dealer now because they couldn't load the software 10 days ago when I took it in for the recall. I was told this should eliminate a number of the things I have experienced with this car. 10 days after I dropped it off GM Software Engineers showed up at the Dealership to figure out why. Turns out the "Check Engine Light" that had been coming on at start up did actually mean something. They claim the car needs a "P.I.M." Power Inverter Module. I am at this point asking them to take this car,"this unit," back to the factory for research & development. I want another car that works. Without all the "BAD bells & whistles" the first one came with. I love the Checy Volt. It's an awesome vehicle. I just think mine was painted the wrong color. Instead of Black it should have been Yellow. It is as far as I am concerned a lemon. I want another Volt that doesn't have so many electrical glitches. And I want it at no expense. I paid for one that is supposed to work. I have owned brand new cars before. And yes I have taken them back for minor issues. Like a pwoer window module that did not take the window all the way up or down. And a fuel filter issue. I didn't need to continously take the cars back for this and that. I have filled my Jeep Grand Cherokee up 3 times with Gas since this has happened. It operating better then the Volt. It is a 2006 with 110,000 miles on it. I feel GM owes me a car that doesn't have the issues this one does. Anyone out there have any of the problems I have had with any model of Car, have any suggestions please let me know. I am not happy with the "GM" product. It is the first time I've owned a GM.

Please post ALL invoices related to your Volt's service history...

BeechBoy
11-09-2013, 10:15 PM

Wow, the judge drop the charges because you produced invoices? Fantastic defense! From now on I will also keep my invoices in the car, just in case. The problem is that I have only a few. The last one is a year old and it was for a wheel alignment. I doubt it would work in my case.

But since you have so many invoices perhaps you can share a few ?

Cord
11-10-2013, 07:35 AM
I love my Checy Volt too :-)
Not sure which model year you have ?

Any possibility some one opened the hood while the car was on or the volt was doing a fuel burn cycle ?

Mike-o-Matic
11-10-2013, 10:45 AM
The Volt is a rolling piece of electronics and many of those electronics are run off the 12v battery. The APM charges the 12v battery. If the APM wasn't working correctly, the 12v might not get a full charge, its voltage would drop, and you could get any number of bizarre behaviors. In fact when people start reporting very odd behaviors the first thing folks on this board suggest is to test the 12v.Excellent advice, and a great place to start digging for the root cause.

Screwbal
11-12-2013, 03:12 PM

wow the highest I've seen mine is 10.5 but most of the time its 10.4 =\

drbruns
11-15-2013, 01:06 PM
I received an email this morning that appears to be legitimate from my dealer. Body of the email below. Anyone else get something like this?

We have received an email from your Onstar in regards to your 2012 Chevrolet Volt informing us that there is an open recall notice on your vehicle. Recall # 2013202 for the power inverter module reprogram. If you would like to set up a time to bring your vehicle in please give us a call at (703)-448-7221 or reply back to this email. Thank you

BAZINGA
11-15-2013, 01:15 PM
The the power inverter module reprogram is NOT I repeat NOT a RECALL. In any event I'd suggest taking it in and getting it done. It take about an hour.

WopOnTour
11-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Lots of posts on this already. GM isn't recalling any Volts, however some dealers may be directly contacting their customers/owners to bring their cars in for a service campaign that updates the software in the Power Inverter Module so a particular DTC does not trigger falsely creating a potential condition that results in a no-start.

Moving this to the existing thread
WOT

emartin00
11-15-2013, 01:38 PM
I had my Volt at the dealer this week for a tire rotation and state inspection and they did the update while it was there.

WopOnTour
11-15-2013, 01:41 PM
I had my Volt at the dealer this week for a tire rotation and state inspection and they did the update while it was there.THAT is how this service campaign was supposed to be handled. Utilizing their service dept's in-house marketing system in order to call-in customers on the guise of a "recall" is unprofessional at best IMO.
WOT

Loboc
11-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Mine has this 13202 REPROGRAM POWER INVERTER issue. My dealer couldn't do it in time for me when I got the tires rotated. I have a new appt. next week.

Falsely getting you to bring your car in is pretty common. My Dodge truck (a 2wd) was 'recalled' to the dealer for an issue that only happens on 4x4 models. I got stuck with a bunch of other work that was 'needed' and the initial recall was not for my vehicle!

Dave OConnor
11-30-2013, 06:24 AM
A car that is stopped by wet conditions...

And- This has been going on since the 2011 model year! As the tech at the dealer told me today: "This probably has been a big part of why you've had so many problems." Uh, yeah. Do they have a test track at GM? Does it rain there?
Now we'll hear from the apologists. Best part is if you're out of warranty you get to pay for a manufacturing defect that existed from the time you bought the car! Can't wait to show this exhibit to the NY Attorney General's office.

GM Bulletin No.:13202
Date Released: September 2013

SERVICE UPDATE
SUBJECT: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles
Power Inverter Module Reprogram
Expires with Base Warranty
MODELS: 2011-2013 Chevrolet Volt
PURPOSE
This bulletin provides a service procedure to reprogram the power inverter module on certain
2011-2013 model year Chevrolet Volt vehicles. In wet conditions, water may wick along the
Driver Motor 2 Position Sensor wires. If the water enters into the sensor body, it could set a
diagnostic code, which illuminates the Check Engine lamp and requests propulsion to be
inactive. The condition has occurred most often while parked, which results in a "no-start"
condition, but could occur in other driving situations. The vehicle can be started once the water
has evaporated.
This service procedure should be completed as soon as possible on involved vehicles
currently in dealer inventory and customer vehicles that return to the dealer for any type
of service during the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage period.

PART INFORMATION
No parts are required for this update.

Kind Regards,

Jessica
Team Leader
Volt Advisor Team

Wished someone had told me. I'd stayed home Thanksgiving. It was snowing lol.

Slapshot28
11-30-2013, 08:46 AM
When I took in my 2011 Volt for its last tire rotation, about a month ago, my dealer performed this upgrade. They always check for any recommended upgrades or recalls whenever I go in, for any reason.

Sorry that you had this trouble.

Zythryn
11-30-2013, 08:58 AM
Sorry that bug impacted you.
Very much doubt this will impact anybody that has gone past the warranty. As it supposed to be corrected for any anytime you're in for service.
It also sounds as if it doesn't always present itself, so hopefully is rare enough that few people run into it.
Sorry that you were one:(

JamesMcQuaid
11-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Best to do the scheduled service.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=40418&d=1385821934

Dave OConnor
11-30-2013, 10:57 AM
What makes you think I didn't mamma? You are a lap dog.

JamesMcQuaid
11-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Listen up Dave, you had over two months to get the Power Inverter Module Reprogram done. I got mine done, but had I not, I wouldn't be in here whining.

Be a man and take some responsibility for yourself.

Slapshot28
11-30-2013, 11:14 AM
What makes you think I didn't mamma? You are a lap dog.

Well, I've completely re-read your deer-hitting story, which turned out to be a very expensive repair. Right? While you were almost (and perhaps understandably) ballistic at that time, your posts since then seemed fine. As best I can tell, you have not reported any trouble since then, last April. So, it is a bit confusing now to hear you suddenly start referring to your Volt as Fritz.

Certainly I am not trying to apologize for GM. I'm just trying to understand and get a clear picture. Is everything related to the one Bulletin 13202, released by GM two months ago?

Again, I am very sorry for the trouble you have recently encountered, especially over the holidays. That's bad luck, no doubt.

Dave OConnor
11-30-2013, 11:18 AM
Really? Gee mommie no one told me till yesterday. And I've had the car in for service. Do you know my service details? No you don't. (Maybe McQuaid designed the module. It has all the earmarks: Bad design, blame the customer.)

Dave OConnor
11-30-2013, 11:22 AM
Haven't posted because I didn't visit the site for a few months.

Zythryn
11-30-2013, 12:04 PM
Dave, I understand you are upset. It sucks to have Thanksgiving plans ruined.
However, take a step back and stop attacking people.

If this service bulletin didn't trigger a call or email from GM to you, I see no reason you would have known about it. I would hope something like this would have. But those suggesting you should have gotten it addressed are off base since the bulletin only came out a couple of months ago.

However, if your car was in for issues since September, the dealer should have performed the reprogramming listed in the bulletin.
If they did not, that is another failure on the dealer's part and they should be held accountable.

I am sorry this event happened, especially over Thanksgiving. People are simply interested in details so they can form an opinion.

DonC
11-30-2013, 12:21 PM
Show this to the NY Attorney General's Office? They'll laugh. Actually they won't. Having been there, what they'll do is listen while inwardly rolling their eyes. Seriously, in a world where there are millions of cars recalled every year for serious safety issues, a software fix for a possible problem is not going to get anyone too jazzed up. Sorry that you're having issues with your car but you're definitely overstating the seriousness of the problem.

Having said that, over the air software reprograms would be a great improvement. I rarely take my Volt to the dealer. Maybe once every couple of years for an oil change. That interval is probably too long to catch issues like this, though if you're having issues then the frequency of your visits may be higher.

Let's hope that this does in fact resolve the issues you're having. If it does that's great. But I'm always leery of "silver bullet" fixes.

Steverino
11-30-2013, 12:50 PM
This issue is well-known here at GM-Volt and the dealer is supposed to check your VIN against a list to see if your car needs the inverter serviced. You can also call your dealer with your VIN to see if your car needs the service.

It's Service Bulletin #13202: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles - Power Inverter Module Reprogram - Expires with Base Warranty

Not all Vehicles will require this update. If your Volt requires this Bulletin it will be attached to your VIN which your Dealership or Dedicated Advisor can look up for you. Here's the post: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?76170-Power-Inverter-Module-Service-Bulletin-on-2011-13-Volts&p=996386#post996386

It would be nice if we had a list if "from this number to that number" posted here instead of needing to contact the dealer.

Slapshot28
11-30-2013, 12:53 PM
If you really want assistance, I suggest you refrain from calling the attorney general (or anyone else for that matter) "mamma" or "lap dog." Name-calling just deflates your credibility and reputation. Did you resort to this kind of language with your dealer? It's a question, not an accusation.

Steverino
11-30-2013, 01:10 PM
And here is a follow up by WOT which may address why my desire for a list of affected cars is not published:

In THIS this case this service update it is a reprogramming of the Power Inverter Module (PIM) is only necessary under specific conditions- most notably the model year, the combination of software levels currently in place within the PIM and any previous service where the PIM might have already been updated. The update alters some of the self-diagnostic enable and fail criteria for the Drive Motor 2 position sensor.

So should you be visiting a GM dealer with your car for any reason, they are sure to check if this update applies to you.
If on your own, you wish to determine if your vehicle is affected you could either contact your Volt Advisor or your dealer with the last 8 digits of your VIN and they should be able to use their on-line tools to determine if your car is subject to an OPEN "Required Filed Action"
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?76170-Power-Inverter-Module-Service-Bulletin-on-2011-13-Volts&p=996970#post996970

One of the reasons I try to read all the posts here is to keep myself educated on the latest Volt news, service bulletins, issues, fixes. It would be great if all Chevy dealers were top notch and at the top of their game, but sadly we know that is not the case. So I read gm-volt! :)

BTW, I called my dealer and they said yes, my car was subject to this service. Now it's fair to ask why they didn't look into that when I last had the car serviced. But they didn't and that's disappointing to say the least.

feinstei
11-30-2013, 03:00 PM
I was at my Chevy dealer today getting my oil changed and snow tires put on when the service manager informed me that there was a 2012 Volt "Service Bulletin" (NOT a recall) number 13202 that had something to do with reprogramming the unit to avoid certain DTC's when water dripped on the inverter wires (I don't know all of the details). Of course, I asked the dealer to perform the reprogramming necessary.

Imagine my surprise when he said that since my Volt had 36,712 miles on it (the original factory warranty is 36,000 miles), that I would not be covered and would have to pay $45.00 to have the reprogram done. I called my Volt Service Advisor Stacy and she is going to attempt to take care of this for me at no charge.

My biggest concern is that GM issued what is more-or-less a recall due to error in their original design of the vehicle, but restricts the dealers from performing it at no charge if the vehicle is past the original factory warranty. I have a GM extended warranty, but this "Service Bulletin" is apparently not covered under it.

In my opinion, if such a "Service Bulletin" exists, Volt owners should be notified of it and be able to take it in to have the work performed at no charge. I would have had plenty of time to have the work done before my odometer hit 36,000 miles BUT I NEVER KNEW THAT THIS ISSUE EXISTED AND WAS NEVER INFORMED OF IT UNTIL TODAY!!!!!!

Is this "non-coverage" issue typical of all car manufacturers or is this type of inexcusable behavior exclusive to GM?

somms
11-30-2013, 03:09 PM
I would have had plenty of time to have the work done before my odometer hit 36,000 miles BUT I NEVER KNEW THAT THIS ISSUE EXISTED AND WAS NEVER INFORMED OF IT UNTIL TODAY!!!!!!

Is this "non-coverage" issue typical of all car manufacturers or is this type of inexcusable behavior exclusive to GM?

Power Inverter Module Service Bulletin on 2011-13 Volts (http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?76170-Power-Inverter-Module-Service-Bulletin-on-2011-13-Volts&p=995634#post995634)

This is why it benefits you to periodically check in with the service dept. just to see if any stealth 'service bulletins' -NOT recalls- have been recently issued so they could be applied to your Volt prior to clicking the odometer over 36k!?:confused:

Your dealership should really cut you a break though since you are only 712 miles outside the warranty and this bulletin is for a software push only. The mechanic won't even get his hands dirty...

Tom plug 2 go
11-30-2013, 03:10 PM
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Agm-volt.com%2013202

See thread above. I was surprised also - although my update was done for no charge.

ghostgs1
11-30-2013, 03:10 PM
Contact your Volt adviser. This sounds like a dealer mistake to me. Even if the dealer is correct, Chevy should make a correction to this policy if it is the case. My dealer did this update to mine and it shows up as a recall on my paperwork.

feinstei
11-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the clarifications guys. I contacted Stacy (my Volt Advisor) and she's going to try to take care of it on Monday. I still think that it's unreasonable for GM to restrict it on to in-warranty vehicles, especially since I bought an extended warranty when I bought the car.

MrEnergyCzar
11-30-2013, 03:45 PM
How could it not be covered under the extended GM warranty? So if you don't get it done and then problems occur, is it covered at that point? It's not a wear and tear item. Anyone know?

Thanks,
MrEnergyCzar

Dave OConnor
11-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Here's the deal as sent to me 11/29

GM Bulletin No.:13202
Date Released: September 2013

SERVICE UPDATE
SUBJECT: Service Update for Inventory and Customer Vehicles
Power Inverter Module Reprogram
Expires with Base Warranty
MODELS: 2011-2013 Chevrolet Volt
PURPOSE
This bulletin provides a service procedure to reprogram the power inverter module on certain
2011-2013 model year Chevrolet Volt vehicles. In wet conditions, water may wick along the
Driver Motor 2 Position Sensor wires. If the water enters into the sensor body, it could set a
diagnostic code, which illuminates the Check Engine lamp and requests propulsion to be
inactive. The condition has occurred most often while parked, which results in a "no-start"
condition, but could occur in other driving situations. The vehicle can be started once the water
has evaporated.
This service procedure should be completed as soon as possible on involved vehicles
currently in dealer inventory and customer vehicles that return to the dealer for any type
of service during the New Vehicle Limited Warranty coverage period.

PART INFORMATION
No parts are required for this update.

Kind Regards,

Jessica
Team Leader
Volt Advisor Team

Slapshot28
11-30-2013, 05:41 PM
My dealer told me that they did the upgrade for no charge under my extended warranty. He may have winked when he said that, which would not be the first time. Their service department is pretty amazing.

jegund
11-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Got mine done yesterday. 66000 miles. No charge.

bonaire
11-30-2013, 08:21 PM
When I took in my 2011 Volt for its last tire rotation, about a month ago, my dealer performed this upgrade. They always check for any recommended upgrades or recalls whenever I go in, for any reason.

Sorry that you had this trouble.

Same here. Same dealer, at Del. they did my rotate this past Monday and Mark the service writer said they had this "recall" to do for me. If it is a recall, it should not be a rated warranty issue but rather done for everyone regardless of warranty.

11-30-2013, 08:37 PM
A car that is stopped by wet conditions...

And- This has been going on since the 2011 model year! As the tech at the dealer told me today: "This probably has been a big part of why you've had so many problems." Uh, yeah. Do they have a test track at GM? Does it rain there?
Now we'll hear from the apologists.

~

Wished someone had told me. I'd stayed home Thanksgiving. It was snowing lol.

Great Tech Duck!

Floods, my friend. The Chevy Volt EREV Water Troth Test At The Milford Proving Grounds-

Pushing Mule-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oTp964kDcM

The Real Deal-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyoH9O9Fs2o

So yes, It rains at Milford. If not, they make their own flood! lol

Best-

Thomas J. Thias

Sundance Chevrolet Inc.

517-622-6081

Dave OConnor
12-01-2013, 05:12 AM
Didn't ask for an "oppology". As a Vietnam Vet I learned pretty early about the "nothing forever" stuff. Please.
Did look at the water tests. Apparently, didn't catch the power inverter problem for a few more years.

Dave OConnor
12-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Hmmm. 26,508 views of this thread as I write this. It's certainly not my lucid prose, so this topic has as the cliche has it, "struck a nerve."
13202 required action, still does.
The Thanksgiving fiasco was inconvenient. The car suddenly slowing almost to a stop in traffic moving at 45 to 55 mph was a safety issue. Happened to me four times. Never heard of 13202 until Friday. I checked with the dealer today. 13202 is dated 9/27/13 so I was driving for two months in a car that had a known problem, and a serious one.
Not a mind reader folks. Had no idea until told. Dave O'Connor figuring this out by his lonesome was never going to happen. GM knows roughly the "set" of Volts liable to sudden failure. Notify the owners. Think of someone who got a regular book service a week or a month before 13202. How would they know about this problem until the next service OR when the car quits?

rdunniii
12-04-2013, 12:23 AM
Let me get this straight. There is a bug in this software module that does not manifest itself unless the module gets wet? So, if I live in a dry area for the first 36 months and then take my car somewhere where it is wet and the bug manifests itself it's on me? Me thinks I need to find a flowing arroyo somewhere's about to drive through before the 36/36 is up.

sectime
12-04-2013, 12:36 AM
Let me get this straight. There is a bug in this software module that does not manifest itself unless the module gets wet? So, if I live in a dry area for the first 36 months and then take my car somewhere where it is wet and the bug manifests itself it's on me? Me thinks I need to find a flowing arroyo somewhere's about to drive through before the 36/36 is up.
Or next visit to your dealer ask for them to do the update, pay the $45 or so and enjoy life. What am I thinking?? It works faster if you drive in salt water;)

Steverino
12-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Just had my software update. I was in and out in under an hour. Even though I'm outside the warranty, my dealer charged me nothing. It was listed as "Power Inverter Module Reprogram per Campaign #13202 Recall" Units 0.3 $34.03

They wanted me to know they did not fail to know about it, that it was a timing thing. They showed me where the notice came in after my last service with them. Anyway, I seem to have a good relationship with them. They are always happy to see me and always ask how the car is doing.

2013 ssvolt
12-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Just took my volt in for repair , went on vacation left it plugged in for 4 days.After vacation our charge went down to 38 miles , we were getting 40-42 per charge. In the past 2 weeks every charge has less miles now at 32 miles. it comes up full on the on star app. every morning. At first thought it was cold weather but don't think that now . Dealer is keeping the car over night and did the update for the inverter that is recalled. Really hope this fixes it

Steverino
12-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Really hope this fixes it

Fixes what? The range estimator? It seems to be doing what they all do this time of year: estimate a lower range.

This FAQ may help you understand what is going on with you car: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?18609-Battery-Mile-Estimate-in-30-s-not-40-s-50-s.-Problem

But if it's something else, I'm not sure what that would be. Have you been fully charging the car or just doing continual top-offs? Let us know what the dealer says, 2013 ssvolt.

WopOnTour
12-12-2013, 09:11 PM
Just took my volt in for repair , went on vacation left it plugged in for 4 days.After vacation our charge went down to 38 miles , we were getting 40-42 per charge. In the past 2 weeks every charge has less miles now at 32 miles. it comes up full on the on star app. every morning. At first thought it was cold weather but don't think that now . Dealer is keeping the car over night and did the update for the inverter that is recalled. Really hope this fixes itWelcome to gm-volt.com
The PIM software update has nothing to do with range, or range improvement. The update simply remaps a particular DTC preventing it from triggering a no-start as a failsafe behavior. It will not change your available AER in any way.

Your decrease in range could more likely to be in response to recent drops in ambient temperature. How often do you drive it into extended range? Everyday? Seldom? Never? Your response to this can effect the accuracy of the electric range estimation being displayed on the IPC.

WOT

RoRo
12-13-2013, 12:38 AM
Had my Volt in this past Tuesday for the backup camera fix and they performed this update as well. I don't forsee this trigger ever happening as I live in South Florida, but I thought it was wise to have it done.

sriggins
12-27-2013, 12:55 AM
Really? Gee mommie no one told me till yesterday. And I've had the car in for service. Do you know my service details? No you don't. (Maybe McQuaid designed the module. It has all the earmarks: Bad design, blame the customer.)

The name calling should stop. It is immature and as far as I am concerned, against the spirit of these forums.

Moderators?

barry252
01-16-2014, 12:30 PM
I received this email this morning from my dealer.....

"OnStar has notified us that your 2011 VOLT is part of Recall Campaign #2013202. It is important to the health of your vehicle that you have this recall service performed. When would be a convenient time for you to come in? You can contact me by replying to this email or call me....."

Anyone else get this? Know what it's about?

Volt 63

Paulacton84
01-16-2014, 12:37 PM
service bullitin 13202 is not a recall, it is a software change that eliminates a potential dead vehicle condition due to moisture wicking into one of the electronics enclosures. Yes, you should get it done, but it's not time critical, the worst that happens is that with enough water in the wrong place, your vehicle will park itself where ever it sits and need a tow.

shiranpuri
01-16-2014, 12:40 PM
It's a service bulletin to reprogram the power inverter module: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?76170-Power-Inverter-Module-Service-Bulletin-on-2011-13-Volts

jbakerjonathan
01-16-2014, 12:40 PM
My MY2012 was just updated with 13202. It is a software update for the Power Inverter Module. It has to do with the possibility of moisture wicking along wires going to the sensor body. No hardware is replaced.

Reference: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?76170-Power-Inverter-Module-Service-Bulletin-on-2011-13-Volts/page2

BAZINGA
01-16-2014, 01:08 PM
As other's have stated it's "NOT A RECALL". I had both my 2012 and 2013 Volt's software updated when they were in fofr routine servicing.

Loboc
01-16-2014, 01:09 PM
This update was done on my 2013 during the 7500mi service. Painless.

Steverino
01-16-2014, 02:15 PM
Or, ignore this potential issue or be clueless like some have and end up stranded and needing a tow to the closest dealer. Then you can post a rant here about how the car shut down while you were driving and all the hassle and inconvenience you encountered afterwards with OnStar, the tow truck driver, the dealer car rental, the gas you had to buy, etc. :)

I opted to take mine in instead, lol. In and out in under an hour.

Paulacton84
01-16-2014, 02:21 PM
service bullitin 13202 is not a recall, it is a software change that eliminates a potential dead vehicle condition due to moisture wicking into one of the electronics enclosures. Yes, you should get it done, but it's not time critical, the worst that happens is that with enough water in the wrong place, your vehicle will park itself where ever it sits and need a tow.

of course, if that "where it sits" is the middle lane of a crowded interstate in a heavy rain storm, you will be unhappy....

electricAnt
01-16-2014, 02:28 PM
I received this email this morning from my dealer.....

"OnStar has notified us that your 2011 VOLT is part of Recall Campaign #2013202. It is important to the health of your vehicle that you have this recall service performed. When would be a convenient time for you to come in? You can contact me by replying to this email or call me....."

Anyone else get this? Know what it's about?

Volt 63

My 2013 Volt also had this warning. I took it in to the dealer & was back on the road in about 45 minutes. The checked out the rest of the car and gave it a quick wash too.

BAZINGA
01-16-2014, 02:31 PM
What's funny in the time this thread has been active, the op could have been in/out of his dealer.

barry252
01-18-2014, 03:52 PM
Well, THAT was painless! I took it in and got the update in 30 minutes! No muss, no fuss! I also asked them to check if I'm up to date on software and all is A-Ok!

Happy Volting!

Volt 63 37 Months and still rolling happy!

Adarondax
04-05-2014, 08:22 PM
I took my Volt in for the inverter service and a state inspection. Unfortunately they did the inverter service first. That caused the problem described here...

http://dmv.ny.gov/sites/default/files/legacy_files/broch/c114.pdf

...and the Volt failed the state inspection. Service writer's advice was to "Put 50-100 miles on the car and bring it back." I have a 10 day temporary inspection in the mean time.

WopOnTour
04-05-2014, 11:11 PM
I took my Volt in for the inverter service and a state inspection. Unfortunately they did the inverter service first. That caused the problem described here...

http://dmv.ny.gov/sites/default/files/legacy_files/broch/c114.pdf

...and the Volt failed the state inspection. Service writer's advice was to "Put 50-100 miles on the car and bring it back." I have a 10 day temporary inspection in the mean time.
There's been a few threads on this. (and some potential solutions)

Start by reading up here:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?74218-State-Emission-Testing-FAQ&highlight=emissions+test

WOT

Adarondax
04-05-2014, 11:18 PM
Thanks WOT. Looks like I need to put 50-100 gasoline miles on my Volt before I bring it back.

rsewal
06-02-2014, 05:53 PM
I fixed my sticky charge door issue very easily. Smear a very small amount silicon grease on the underside of the charge door where it hooks up with the locking pin. It solves the issue. Smooth now.

gmacecsko
08-04-2014, 08:30 AM
Last week my wife's car was towed to a dealer with a blown tire. While there they said there was an open recall 13202 to reprogram the power inverter. Since they performed the update each day our estimated miles has dropped. We had been getting a consistent 39 miles today only 30. This is only the second time the car has been in the shop. The first time was for the battery update and at that time they reprogramed the system. Our miles dropped then as well. I hope it is only because the system need to go through re learn cycle of some sort.
I love the car but hate when the dealer has to touch it.

Slapshot28
08-04-2014, 08:50 AM
I suspect the range drop is unrelated. Are your comparative data from the Volt's estimated range, or actual miles driven before the ICE turns on? Also, any changes in weather or driving pattern?

emartin00
08-04-2014, 09:36 AM
I had this service done last year when I was in for inspection. I didn't notice any change in range afterwards.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney
08-04-2014, 09:45 AM
Last week my wife's car was towed to a dealer with a blown tire. While there they said there was an open recall 13202 to reprogram the power inverter. Since they performed the update each day our estimated miles has dropped. We had been getting a consistent 39 miles today only 30. This is only the second time the car has been in the shop. The first time was for the battery update and at that time they reprogramed the system. Our miles dropped then as well. I hope it is only because the system need to go through re learn cycle of some sort.

New tires could give a drop. But check your tire pressures. Low pressure raises rolling resistance and that's really bad in a heavy car like the Volt.

FishGee
08-04-2014, 10:06 AM
I had this service done last year when I was in for inspection. I didn't notice any change in range afterwards.

Same here. No issues. Still getting my normal 42-46 summer range. 28K miles, 30 gallons of gas total. What's not to like?
And I agree, tire pressure makes a huge difference in range. I run @ 40 PSI myself.

TOBG
08-04-2014, 10:15 AM
I also had the service done last year and I have been getting my usual 43-47 range

Slapshot28
08-04-2014, 10:44 AM
If the comparative data come from the Volt's estimate, perhaps the historical data got reset, and so the Volt must relearn?

Unless I'm mistaken, the initial range estimate starts out fairly low, and then works its way up.

Henry_FL
08-04-2014, 11:46 AM
Give it a week or two, it has to re-learn from defaults after being flashed

Neromanceres
08-04-2014, 12:54 PM
I had the inverter update done two months ago. I have not noticed a change in my EV range.

DonC
08-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Possibly, but I can't dismiss it out of hand as not a recall without any proof.This isn't a big deal, but you actually said it wasn't a recall when you said it was a service bulletin.

We've seen this a hundred times before. The service guys just label every service bulletin or customer satisfaction event a "recall".

The good thing is you got the potential issue addressed. I wonder how this will work for 2011 MY Volts which are beyond the three year warranty? That's an interesting question.

Steverino
08-04-2014, 02:09 PM
I had the Inverter update done, no change in battery miles, nor would I expect there to be.

I wonder how this will work for 2011 MY Volts which are beyond the three year warranty? That's an interesting question.

The Inverter update was announced long enough ago that all the 2011's should have been covered had the owners acted in a timely fashion.

For the battery coolant level update, if you 1) are out of warranty, and 2) have been checking your fluid level monthly, and 3) have not seen any loss, you could get some of the Dex-Cool premix and top off the tank to the new, higher level. You'd need to remove the bracket of course.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
08-04-2014, 03:27 PM

Hi gmacecsko,

Iím pleased to hear you were able to get your vehicle in to have the power inverter reprogramed. It appears you are just gathering feedback from the forum members but if you continue to get low mileage and are concerned please donít hesitate to reach out for assistance.

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

DonC
08-04-2014, 07:28 PM
I had the Inverter update done, no change in battery miles, nor would I expect there to be. Not really. You don't take the car in that frequently and GM doesn't notify you of service bulletins AFAIK.