: My wheel measurements for replacements

voltage692
04-25-2011, 05:19 PM
There's not a lot of wheel companies listing wheels for the Volt yet, so info on the wheel specs is limited. I went ahead and took my own measurements just now and this is what I found.

Can anyone confirm these measurement? WOT?

1) Total weight of wheel + tire + tpms + centercap = 37 lbs

2) Bolt pattern = 5x110 using http://www.americanracingwheelsinfo.com/bolt_pattern.htm

3) Wheel height measured which includes the flange height = 18" per http://www.procarcare.com/icarumba/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/icar_resourcecenter_encyclopedia_wheels.asp

4) Wheel height estimated by removing the estimated flange height = 17"

5) Wheel width measured which includes the bead seat lip = 8" per http://www.procarcare.com/icarumba/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/icar_resourcecenter_encyclopedia_wheels.asp

6) Wheel width estimated by removing the estimated bead lip = 7"

7) Offset = +37mm per https://www.rsracing.com/tech-wheel.html

These numbers look a little different from what I read elsewhere, especially the 5x110 versus 5x105 bolt pattern, so any confirmation would be appreciated. I did measure several times to check and recheck my numbers.

I am looking for 18" rims that have a more aggressive look while still being modern. The styling of the Volt can definitely manage a more radical wheel -- as shown by the Ampera concept. Maybe a little more offset (wheels more out), but not a lot.

Maybe something like this:

SharkVolt
04-25-2011, 08:10 PM
I am pretty sure the 17" diameter and 7" wide is correct, especially since the 17" is listed as the tire size. Not sure about the bolt pattern though, and that has to be exactly right. The only way to measure it physically, is to measure the distance from the center of one bolt hole to the center of the rim with a metric caliper and double that to get the correct diameter of the bolt circle pattern. It should be listed in the owner's manual, but may not have been listed there.

Possibly a Volt advisor could find out if they can talk to the engineers that designed the car.

AndrewW
04-25-2011, 08:20 PM
voltage692,

I may be interested in the stock wheels and tires?

WVhybrid
04-25-2011, 08:28 PM
Several months ago someone with a line into GM posted the exact wheel specification. You should be able to search and find the specs in the archives of this site or site FAQ linked in my signature.

WVhybrid

voltage692
04-25-2011, 08:51 PM
Sounds good. As soon as I find some good replacements, I will contact you.

voltage692,

voltage692
04-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Did searches, but couldn't find anything. Any ideas on search words from what you remember of the post?

bitguru
04-26-2011, 12:10 AM

If there is demand for the stock wheels and tires, then I may be interested in downgrading to 15" or 16".

Then again, just the other day I saw something about the Volt's wheels being specially designed for low air resistance, so I would have to take that into consideration. (After that I went outside to check if the wheels, which are not symmetrical around the axis of each spoke, are mirror images on the left/right side of the car. They aren't, which seems odd if they really were designed for low air resistance, unless the asymmetrical bit is for style only.)

voltage692
04-26-2011, 12:17 AM
Yea, that's called marketing.

If there is demand for the stock wheels and tires, then I may be interested in downgrading to 15" or 16".

Then again, just the other day I saw something about the Volt's wheels being specially designed for low air resistance, so I would have to take that into consideration. (After that I went outside to check if the wheels, which are not symmetrical around the axis of each spoke, are mirror images on the left/right side of the car. They aren't, which seems odd if they really were designed for low air resistance, unless the asymmetrical bit is for style only.)

voltage692
04-26-2011, 12:19 AM
Here's a horrible job at photo editing in Paint.NET. It would be nice if I really knew how to use these programs.

bitguru
04-26-2011, 12:53 AM
Yea, that's called marketing.

I saw the claim on a television documentary. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP4D_zk4zdM#t=17m52s)

The wheels are another innovation on this groundbreaking car. They're made of forged aluminum to reduce weight.

They are some of the lightest 17" wheels in the industry at just over 7kg. Forgings tend to be very strong and very lightweight, which is consistent with the car. We also designed the face of the wheel to minimize the pumping action of air from inside the car out.

Nick D
04-26-2011, 09:20 AM
5x110 and 5x105 are interchangeable. 5 MM or half a CM is the difference, and the wheels should fit. When I had my S10 I replaced the rims with rims that had a "different" bolt pattern just like this. I think GM uses sives that dont conform with most other companies.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
04-26-2011, 09:34 AM
The Volt's specifications for wheel and tires is 17" P215/55R17.

Volt Advisor Trevor
Chevrolet Volt Advisor Team

voltage692
04-26-2011, 10:09 AM
Do you have the rest of the spec's? Offset, bolt pattern, rim width, etc?

The Volt's specifications for wheel and tires is 17" P215/55R17.

Volt Advisor Trevor

WVhybrid
04-27-2011, 06:50 AM
Did searches, but couldn't find anything. Any ideas on search words from what you remember of the post?

Sorry, I couldn't find the old post either.

WVhybrid

Chevrolet Customer Svc
04-27-2011, 02:26 PM
The wheels have a 5 on 115 mm bolt circle with a 70 mm pilot diameter. The studs are 12 mm and the wheel size is 17" x 7" with a 38 mm offset. If you are replacing them, there might be a slight loss in electric range since the wheels weigh only 17.6 lbs

Volt Advisor Trevor

voltage692
04-27-2011, 04:22 PM
Excellent information, thanks Trevor!

I ordered those wheels in the picture. They are certified by American Racing to fit the Volt. Hopefully the factory lug nuts will fit as well so I don't have to buy a new set. The factory lugs are unusually nice considering my 2000 Vette had ugly lugs with plastic caps covering them.

Now I need to find a nice set of quiet tires that match well.

The wheel will sit out further by 19mm, which should give a good look without rubbing or sticking out beyond the fenders.

The wheels have a 5 on 115 mm bolt circle with a 70 mm pilot diameter. The studs are 12 mm and the wheel size is 17" x 7" with a 38 mm offset. If you are replacing them, there might be a slight loss in electric range since the wheels weigh only 17.6 lbs

Volt Advisor Trevor

voltage692
04-28-2011, 12:04 AM
As I learn more about the wheels on the Volt, you may want to reconsider downgrading the wheel size unless you are willing to change out the brake rotors and calipers for a smaller set. There's less than 1" of clearance right now between the wheel and caliper, so smaller wheels might rub.

voltage692
04-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Trevor,

Can you confirm that the center bore is exactly 70mm, or is it really 70.1 mm, 70.3mm or 70.5mm?

I am going to need to buy some low cost wheel hub centric rings to adapt the 72mm center bore on the new wheels to the hub centric of the Volt wheel, but they don't see that they come in exactly 70mm.

The wheels are in today, but the tires won't get here until Monday. The wheels look good off the car, so I can't wait to get them on the car.

Thanks!

Volt Advisor Trevor

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Not a problem voltage692. I will look into it and get back with you to let you know what I find.

Volt Advisor Trevor

Chevrolet Customer Svc
05-03-2011, 02:53 PM
voltage692,

The wheel center bore is 70.27mm + or - .04mm.

Volt Advisor Trevor

bitguru
05-10-2011, 01:50 PM

As I learn more about the wheels on the Volt, you may want to reconsider downgrading the wheel size unless you are willing to change out the brake rotors and calipers for a smaller set. There's less than 1" of clearance right now between the wheel and caliper, so smaller wheels might rub.

I noticed this the other day and came here to posts my observation, but you beat me to it.

I have zero interest in changing out the rotors or calipers. If that precludes smaller-diameter wheels then so be it.

Deanzsyclone
01-21-2012, 11:28 PM
I like these...
http://www.carid.com/dub-wheels/x-30-91605.html

bjhorton2005
05-01-2012, 09:48 PM
If anyone wants a set of 4 polished aluminum wheels let me know. I am pretty sure they will include the TPS sensors as well, and tires with half tread life.

Brandon
06-02-2012, 02:19 PM
Im bringing this one back from the dead, as Im curious if anyone has weighed the wheels by themselves. Im looking for some light weight replacements myself. I see he has 37 lbs with tire/center cap/ tpms. Anyone have JUST the wheel by itself?

bjhorton2005
06-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Im bringing this one back from the dead, as Im curious if anyone has weighed the wheels by themselves. Im looking for some light weight replacements myself. I see he has 37 lbs with tire/center cap/ tpms. Anyone have JUST the wheel by itself?

If I remember right, it's 17lbs per wheel.

Brandon
06-07-2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks bj, but could anyone verify the 17lbs? It'd be great if a VA could verify that information.

Ladogaboy
07-22-2012, 05:31 PM
Thanks bj, but could anyone verify the 17lbs? It'd be great if a VA could verify that information.

The stock tire weighs 19lbs, so a total of 37lbs for the wheel (17lbs) and tire (19lbs) should be pretty close.

FrankIII
07-22-2012, 09:35 PM
Just weighed a factory rim for you. It came up as 18.4 lbs. MINUS the TPMS sensor and tire. I am getting prepared for winter and bought a set of factory rims from my Chevrolet dealer. I just have to get the tires mounted and balanced and should be all set.