: Jack for Volt-What do you suggest?

shrink13
09-17-2013, 09:09 PM
I have tried to read all the posts about jacks for the Volt. Some people have advised against using a floor jack due to possible damage of the bottom of the car. When I had my only flat the repair place did use a floor jack, but I did not look under the car after they were finished. Several posts have mentioned scissor jacks and I was wondering if the one listed at Harbor Freight Tools would work (item #66907 for $18.99). Several people have mentioned that the jack needs to have a "u" channel in the top of it.

I have also read posts about folks buying jacks from eBay. Is there a specific car model and year that I should look for? Thank you.

TSquare
09-17-2013, 09:16 PM
There is a location to place a floor jack. Check your manual, I think there is a drawing that shows the lift points.

Fred_B
09-17-2013, 09:24 PM
I've read in posts here that a jack from an Impala would work.

JetPIC
09-17-2013, 09:32 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-2-half-ton-scissor-jack-66907.html

Stows nicely in the right-side cubby in the cargo area.

http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_16073.jpg

shrink13
09-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Great. Exactly the unit I was referring to. Does anyone know if this jack will work with the Volt? JetPIC-have you tried it with your car? Thanks to all for responding.

Steverino
09-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Great. Exactly the unit I was referring to. Does anyone know if this jack will work with the Volt? JetPIC-have you tried it with your car? Thanks to all for responding.

The Harbor Freight unit will work. I tried one, then returned it. The scissors screw felt rough and strained compared to a $10 scissors jack I got at an auto salvage yard. Maybe it just needed better grease.

fishhawk
09-17-2013, 09:48 PM
I bought a Cruze jack from my dealer. Seems to fit perfectly. Also a breaker bar and socket from Harbor Freight. All fit in the space under the trunk floor.

JetPIC
09-17-2013, 09:51 PM

Yes. Also, a 3/4" lugwrench from an auto parts store is less than $10 and fits nicely in the under-floor area, on the right side, along with tire plugs/plug tools/rubber cement and a generic leatherman-type multi-tool. If I have a simple puncture, I can take off the wheel, extract the nail, plug the hole, inflate, reinstall, and be on my way.

ghostgs1
09-17-2013, 10:01 PM
I have used a floor jack several times on our Volt and it worked fine. Purchased a very small bottle jack and have had to use it for one flat so far, worked fine.

Chuck
09-17-2013, 10:30 PM
I recently purchased a scissors jack through Ebay that was listed for the 2007-2012 Impala. I find it much sturdier than the jacks that use a crank to raise and lower the jack. The Impala jack seems heavier duty and the handle for the jack actually has the lug wrench built into it. The 3/4" socket rotates out of the handle at a 90 degree angle and the jack has a male 3/4" fitting for raising and lowering it as opposed to a blade with a hole in it. The Volt is quite heavy with the weight of the battery that has to be lifted when you change a tire. The jack handle works like a charm as a lug wrench too and has enough leverage to break the lug nuts loose. Your mileage may vary, but I'm very happy with the Impala jack. Oh, and it has the notch that is necessary to keep from crimping the Volt's body flange. The jack and handle fit neatly in the rear storage compartment.

David B. Kelting
09-17-2013, 11:00 PM
I bought a Cruze jack from my dealer. Seems to fit perfectly. Also a breaker bar and socket from Harbor Freight. All fit in the space under the trunk floor.

Yes, I have a Cruze jack. I was given one from the dealer that did my bearing repair (Cargill in Putnam, CT). I had requested that they order me one, as I knew it would work because I had used the wife's jack from her 2012 Cruze to do me 1st tire rotation. It certainly was a nice surprise and an unexpected perk, in addition to the Volt loaner (1st? ;)) that I was given!

shrink13
09-17-2013, 11:42 PM
Thank you Chuck. Sounds promising. Do you remember what you paid for the jack?

stuart22
09-18-2013, 12:35 PM
When you have a flat, the space between the ground and the bottom of the car shrinks down to a point where you cannot slip a floor jack under the car far enough to reach the lift points. Scissor jacks will collapse down enough to slip under the rocker panel far enough to reach the lift point.

I'd bet a good scissor jack from a wrecking yard would be cheaper and better quality than what Harbor Freight has. I'd look for one out of a compact pickup truck like a Dodge Dakota, Ford Ranger, Chevy S10/Colorado, Nissan, Toyota, etc.

islander
09-18-2013, 01:54 PM
But then where do you store the spare tire? Loose in the back is not a good idea. If in an accident, that tire will become a projectile missile, possibly aiming for the back of your head.

I do not own a Volt yet, but the issue of no place to store a spare tire is a sticking point for me. I understand not offering one, but it should be an option with a proper place to secure it. When I have had flats in the past, it has been in remote areas or odd times of the day. I just want to change it and get the heck out of there.

Although I could keep a small doughnut spare at home, it seems to defeat the purpose of needing it on the fly. I have nobody at home to bring it out to me.

Steverino
09-18-2013, 01:58 PM
When you have a flat, the space between the ground and the bottom of the car shrinks down to a point where you cannot slip a floor jack under the car far enough to reach the lift points. Scissor jacks will collapse down enough to slip under the rocker panel far enough to reach the lift point.

Yes, the scissors jack is better for "in the wild" lifting.

I'd bet a good scissor jack from a wrecking yard would be cheaper and better quality than what Harbor Freight has. I'd look for one out of a compact pickup truck like a Dodge Dakota, Ford Ranger, Chevy S10/Colorado, Nissan, Toyota, etc.

I got two for $10 each at an auto salvage yard. Pretty standard price around Chicago. They come with an integral handle to turn the screw, but I found that to be a bit slow, so I removed the handle and made an offset crank the fits the 3/4" hex head of the scissor screw (same as the Volt's lug nuts). Now I can crank up the jack much faster. These junkyard jacks are smoother than the Harbor Freight unit.

Rampage_Rick
09-20-2013, 04:20 AM
I wonder if anyone has considered using one of those airbag jacks that is inflated using car exhaust? Must be lighter than a traditional jack. Just have to pop the hood of the Volt to get the ICE fired up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOmAe-WKQmo

deekster_caddy
09-20-2013, 01:51 PM
I got my used jack from a '98 Buick Riviera (probably same as park avenue). It's in a nice molded plastic tub that holds the jack and lug wrench. When I get my spare tire mounted up this winter it will fit right inside. I'm waiting until I swap to my snow tires to work out my spare tire solution.

Volusiano
09-20-2013, 09:21 PM
But then where do you store the spare tire? Loose in the back is not a good idea. If in an accident, that tire will become a projectile missile, possibly aiming for the back of your head.

I do not own a Volt yet, but the issue of no place to store a spare tire is a sticking point for me. I understand not offering one, but it should be an option with a proper place to secure it. When I have had flats in the past, it has been in remote areas or odd times of the day. I just want to change it and get the heck out of there.

Although I could keep a small doughnut spare at home, it seems to defeat the purpose of needing it on the fly. I have nobody at home to bring it out to me.I have a full size spare so I don't know how small a doughnut spare is. But there is no way a full size spare stored in the trunk can become a projectile missile aimed for the back of your head. It's too big and bulky to squeeze through the open space where the back seats with head rests is. It's also wedged in the trunk pretty tight on 3 out of 4 sides as well, so it's not loose. There's a bigger chance that smaller objects like your carry on luggage becoming a projectile missile than the spare tire. You have to own a Volt and see a full size spare tire back there to appreciate how tight the space is. I have no worry about storing it in my trunk (with the rear seats and rear headrests up and secured). The only thing is that it'll take up a lot of your trunk space, that's all.

I store it at home and take it with on long trips. If you're alone and have nobody to bring it out to you then just keep it in your trunk.