: Leaf 240V charging via the portable 120V EVSE

scottf200
02-24-2011, 12:50 AM
Well the forum subtitle includes hacks....check this out:

This story:
http://www.allcarselectric.com/blog/1055714_video-hack-of-2011-nissan-leaf-provides-faster-charging-but-is-it-safe
let me to this thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2707&hilit=EVSE+hack

The Nissan Leaf ships with an 120V 12A portable EVSE for "on the go" charging. I just completed designing and testing an upgrade to it that allows 240V charging while still retaining the 120V capability. This means you can use the supplied EVSE at home without needing to install an (expensive) additional unit and still have a reasonable charge rate. (over 2.8kW) The full safety features including the GFCI protection are still 100% functional, and the unit automatically switches voltage.

http://ingineerix.com/pic/?leaf-evse-240v
http://ingineerix.com/pic/?leaf-evse-120v

Rusty
02-24-2011, 01:28 AM
One must wonder if that would work with the Volt supplied EVSE...

Raymondjram
02-24-2011, 07:05 AM
According to the article, the 240 V conversion should work, and cause no damage to the EV. But how many 240 VAC outlets are available, in comparison to the common 120 VAC outlets? I see some EV owners who visit friends and relatives asking where is the clothes dryer or water heater so they can use that outlet (with a converted plug) to charge their vehicles at 240 VAC. Maybe some businesses that have external 240 VAC outlets for special power equipment (or electric welders) can provide charging for a small cost. Personally I have not seen any public 240 VAC outlets in my area. But my worksite has plenty of 240 VAC power in our Computer Room (on the fifth floor), so I will need a very long cable!

Raymond

Michael
02-24-2011, 07:54 AM
Since the installation cost, via SPX, is a minimum of $900 just to get wires run from the 240 charger to an existing 240 outlet/box, it would be nice to have the ability to switch between 120 & 240 on the portable charger.

voltcrazy
02-25-2011, 08:08 PM
I just read the entire 20-page post. Hopefully they will offer upgrades to the Volt EVSE as well. If not, I might have to buy the Nissan unit.

No 240V where you are going? No problem....two 120V outlets and an extension cord and you're set. http://www.quick220.com/220_catalog.htm

voltcrazy
04-12-2011, 01:01 AM
I ordered one of these upgraded Nissan units a few weeks back. I should receive mine late this week or early next. I'll report back on my results. :-)

ctdeng0
04-12-2011, 07:49 AM
I was told by someone familar with the pre-production Voltec charger that the pc board in the 120 and 220 EVSE's were the same. I don't know if this holds for the production charger or not. The current is the same, so you need to make sure that it can handle 220 vac.

hermperez
04-12-2011, 09:17 AM
"One must wonder if that would work with the Volt supplied EVSE.."

I asked and the designer is looking into it, perhaps its practical to convert.. everyone has a 240V socket somewhere in their homes, and if you dont an electrician can add one for not too much... btw Rusty, I prefer using the acronym FEC (Fancy Extension Cord) instead of EVSE, it really answers a lot of questions by just using that simple acronym :)

George S. Bower
04-12-2011, 12:09 PM
No 240V where you are going? No problem....two 120V outlets and an extension cord and you're set. http://www.quick220.com/220_catalog.htm

In order for this to work the kit includes a device to check the 2 110v outlets before plugging in. It says it will check for no GFI. I also assume it will check to make sure that the 2 outlets are out of phase so the peak to peak V is 220. So it may take awhile to find an outlet that is out of phase since chances are the one right next is "in phase".......thats probably what the extension cord is for.

Also most newer houses have most power plugs on GFI's esp in shop/garage areas.

hermperez
04-12-2011, 05:46 PM
note that the modified evse can be plugged either into 240v or 120v sockets, it autoselects.

dannyrrr
04-12-2011, 06:26 PM
so as volt owners are we able to buy the nissan one and use it with our car or do we need to wait for the volt one to come out?

thanks

DarkStar
04-13-2011, 12:21 PM
so as volt owners are we able to buy the nissan one and use it with our car or do we need to wait for the volt one to come out?
You can absolutely use the LEAF EVSE on a Volt. That's one of the awesome things about having the J1772 standard.

I've found that Nissan dealerships are not requiring VIN to order an EVSE from them and prices seem to be just over $500.

hermperez
04-14-2011, 04:52 PM
Also most newer houses have most power plugs on GFI's esp in shop/garage areas.

As long as the wire is there already its not too hard to switch the breaker with a non-GFI one. I think you would need two extension cords since you have to find two sockets?.. hopefully of a decent #12 gage

voltcrazy
04-19-2011, 03:07 PM
The Leaf EVSE is NOT working with my Volt. I experience the same clicking and blinking symptoms mentioned in this post: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3378&start=0

I sent my Leaf EVSE back, EVSEUpgrade.com is looking to see if they can modify the Nissan unit to work with my Volt.

DarkStar
04-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Here's the pertinent info:

The problem is not the -12v. The Nissan/Panasonic L1 EVSE delays putting out power once the Pilot is acknowledged until it performs an internal self test. This test takes approximately 3 seconds and you can normally hear the clicking of the relays while this test is underway. The problem is the Volt seems to "give up" right before the EVSE completes it's test and recycles the Pilot, which starts the test all over again. This continues in an endless loop and the Volt never starts charging.

The proper fix would be to correct this in the Volt's software, because the EVSE is technically allowed to delay. This is not limited to the Nissan/Panasonic unit, several EVSE's on the market also delay.

I might be able to implement a work-around inside the EVSE to make it compatible with the Volt. Testing is underway currently, I'll let everyone know the outcome.

-Phil

Ingineer
04-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Hi Guys,

Yes, it's confirmed that the Leaf EVSE will not properly start on a Volt. I have come up with a potential fix and sent a unit out to VoltCrazy for testing. If the test is successful, then I can apply this fix to future EVSE upgrades that are ordered for the Volt, and you will then have a low-cost 120v/240v charging option.

We will soon be investigating the Volt EVSE also to see if it has upgrade potential as well. I'll let everyone know here once this analysis is complete if we can offer upgrades for them.

Thanks!

-Phil

Rusty
04-19-2011, 10:50 PM
We will soon be investigating the Volt EVSE also to see if it has upgrade potential as well.

I spoke with an engineer Monday apparently from the design firm that designed the Volt 120V EVSE. He said the latest versions of the cord are designed to support Ampera charging, and can adapt to 80-240V operation. But he was kinda cagey about it (later said 200V or something).

scottf200
04-19-2011, 11:12 PM
I spoke with an engineer Monday apparently from the design firm that designed the Volt 120V EVSE. He said the latest versions of the cord are designed to support Ampera charging, and can adapt to 80-240V operation. But he was kinda cagey about it (later said 200V or something).

I've seen an SPX 240v portable charger in person recently. Not sure when it was available.

Looked like this one: http://servicesolutions.spx.com/FullDisplay.aspx?id=26&l=1

hamchief
04-20-2011, 08:28 AM
Scott,
I'd love to mount this SPX unit on the side of my house - under a small awning.
This looks like a functional, no nonsense unit - perfect!
Now...let's get one!

Ingineer
04-27-2011, 09:23 PM
Good news! We have figured out how to make the Nissan (Panasonic) EVSE compatible with the Chevy Volt. This requires an additional upgrade be added, which we can do for a $50 additional charge do to the difficulty of adding it. This addition will not affect compatibility with the Leaf. The EVSE then works as expected.

We have also successfully upgraded a Voltec unit, but it was difficult due to the ultrasonic welding used for the unit's housing assembly. (no screws) Because of this we are not offering a Voltec upgrade at this time. (This may change, however)

-Phil

UPDATE: We have come up with a less difficult way to implement the Volt upgrade, so we will be doing it for only an additional $10 rather than $50.

voltage692
04-27-2011, 09:42 PM
So we're looking at $500 for the charger and another $50 for the modification for a total of $550?

And just to confirm this would give me a portable wall plug in 120/240V charger?

Good news! We have figured out how to make the Nissan (Panasonic) EVSE compatible with the Chevy Volt. This requires an additional upgrade be added, which we can do for a $50 additional charge do to the difficulty of adding it. This addition will not affect compatibility with the Leaf. The EVSE then works as expected.

We have also successfully upgraded a Voltec unit, but it was difficult due to the ultrasonic welding used for the unit's housing assembly. (no screws) Because of this we are not offering a Voltec upgrade at this time. (This may change, however)

-Phil

bcstrout
04-28-2011, 12:42 AM
I live in the Dallas, TX area, and am waiting for Ecotality to begin their free installs in my area. There is some sort of hold up, I've been waiting for a while for this level 2 charger. I'm seriously considering giving up the wait for Ecotality and going with the modified EVSE, but I'd like to hear from a Volt owner or two who have bought one. I don't want to end up in the news as another Volt owner with a garage fire.

Ingineer
04-28-2011, 01:01 PM
The upgrade to Level 2 (240v) operation on the Nissan/Panasonic unit costs $239, and the Volt compatibility add-on is needed at $10. This puts the cost at $249 for a full Volt compatible EVSE upgrade. This assumes you purchase the unit yourself and send it in. You can also buy an already completed unit if they are in stock. See the website (http://evseupgrade.com/?v) for details.

So we're looking at $500 for the charger and another $50 for the modification for a total of $550?

And just to confirm this would give me a portable wall plug in 120/240V charger?

Ingineer
04-28-2011, 01:09 PM
I live in the Dallas, TX area, and am waiting for Ecotality to begin their free installs in my area. There is some sort of hold up, I've been waiting for a while for this level 2 charger. I'm seriously considering giving up the wait for Ecotality and going with the modified EVSE, but I'd like to hear from a Volt owner or two who have bought one. I don't want to end up in the news as another Volt owner with a garage fire.

This is why currently, we are recommending people go with the Nissan/Panasonic unit. It's the best-built unit currently available, and is seriously well constructed. Our modification does not impact the inherent safety features designed into the EVSE by Panasonic, and since it was over-engineered, we believe it's a very safe option.

Sadly, The Voltec unit that ships with the Volt doesn't inspire much confidence which is why we are not offering an upgrade on it at this time.

I'm sure Volt owners will post their experiences here as they begin using their units. We have plenty of established history now with these EVSE's for hundreds of Nissan Leaf Owners, but since we have just started offering it to Volt owners it will take a little time.

-Phil

voltage692
04-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Ok, so it's more like $800 for this charger?

I don't see how that's a good proposition since I got a 120V charger free, and I can buy a Voltec 240V charger for $495 before tax break and stick a 240V plug on it (like someone else did on here.)

What am I missing?

The upgrade to Level 2 (240v) operation on the Nissan/Panasonic unit costs $239, and the Volt compatibility add-on is needed at $50. This puts the cost at $289 for a full Volt compatible EVSE upgrade. This assumes you purchase the unit yourself and send it in. You can also buy an already completed unit if they are in stock. See the website (http://evseupgrade.com/?v) for details.

Ingineer
04-28-2011, 11:37 PM
Please do whatever you feel is right for you!

The Voltec 240v charger is not meant to be portable, and might not fare well in portable outdoor use scenarios. YMMV.

If you drop it and it breaks, or it gets water inside, then you have to buy another $495 unit. The Panasonic-built unit will easily survive a drive-over event, dropping, water, etc.

-Phil

voltage692
04-28-2011, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the clarification.

The Voltec is right for me.

Good luck to you.

Please do whatever you feel is right for you!

The Voltec 240v charger is not meant to be portable, and might not fare well in portable outdoor use scenarios. YMMV.

If you drop it and it breaks, or it gets water inside, then you have to buy another $495 unit. The Panasonic-built unit will easily survive a drive-over event, dropping, water, etc.

-Phil

voltcrazy
05-05-2011, 12:38 AM
I have GREAT news. Phil from EVSEUpgrade.com was able to get the Nissan charger working on my Volt, and I am now happily enjoying both 120V and 240V, 12-amp, portable charging.

Why did I spend an extra ~$250 on the Panasonic EVSE, instead of buying the Voltec 240V unit from SPX? Two reasons: Portability and Flexibility.

1) Portability - I now have a unit that is much smaller, and lighter than the 240V Voltec, that I can use at home, at work, and when I am traveling. The Panasonic until is much smaller than the 120V Voltec EVSE, which is already much smaller than the 240V Voltec.

2) Flexibility - I now get both 120V and 240V charging from a *single* charger. I use this unit at home to charge at 240V. When I drive to my Grandmother's house every other week, I now plug into her dryer outlet in the garage and get 240V charging. I can use this unit at work to charge from the 120V outlets in the parking lot. When I visit my Dad in a few months, I'll use the same charger to plug into the 120V outlet in his garage. The way I see it, I bought one charger, and basically got a second charger "free."

I am very happy with the Nissan unit, EVSEUpgrade.com, and Phil specifically. This is a quality product, they do quality work, and Phil a very nice guy to work with.

Dale

DonC
05-05-2011, 01:01 AM
I don't see how that's a good proposition since I got a 120V charger free, and I can buy a Voltec 240V charger for $495 before tax break and stick a 240V plug on it (like someone else did on here.)
The big deal is that this product now allows anyone with a dryer connection, either existing or installed, to charge at 240V. A shocking number of houses have dryer plugs in the garage. Even if you have to install the outlet, a dryer connection is a whole lot less expensive than a 240V charger, and the inspection process will be tres easier. Plus you have a portable 240V charger that you can use with either a 5-20 or a 14-30 outlet.

My initial response was similar to yours but on reflection it's a pretty neat upgrade.

Ingineer
05-05-2011, 04:47 AM
Testing is now complete, and all scenarios we could think of have been tested with the new upgrade.

We've just received another shipment of brand-new EVSE's from Nissan, so we have units in stock ready for the Volt.

We are guaranteeing Volt compatibility, and offer a 1 year warranty on the upgraded units.

-Phil

scottf200
05-06-2011, 08:53 AM
Testing is now complete, and all scenarios we could think of have been tested with the new upgrade. We've just received another shipment of brand-new EVSE's from Nissan, so we have units in stock ready for the Volt. We are guaranteeing Volt compatibility, and offer a 1 year warranty on the upgraded units. -Phil

Where's the love for the thread starter :D

KenEE
05-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Does the modified Leaf unit charge the Volt as fast as the Voltec unit? Everyone is saying 12 Amps for the Leaf. I thought the Voltec was a bit higher? (15A)

I'm supposing its the Volt that actually sets the amps but I don't know if the Volt will negotiate the same amps with the Leaf unit or the Voltec unit or if its exactly the same.

Anyone know for sure?

Rusty
05-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Does the modified Leaf unit charge the Volt as fast as the Voltec unit? Everyone is saying 12 Amps for the Leaf. I thought the Voltec was a bit higher? (15A)

I'm supposing its the Volt that actually sets the amps but I don't know if the Volt will negotiate the same amps with the Leaf unit or the Voltec unit or if its exactly the same.

Anyone know for sure?

Level 1 charging (120V) is limited by standard to 12 amps. Both the Leaf and Volt Level 1 EVSEs offer 12 amps. The Volt EVSE has an option to offer 8 amps.

The EVSE tells the vehicle what's the most current it's allowed to draw. The vehicle is free to draw less than offered if it wishes (for example, if you plug into a 40 amp Coulomb EVSE). I don't know what the Voltec or modified Leaf EVSE offer, but the Volt will only draw a maximum of 3.3 kW from the EVSE. That works out to 13.75A@240V.

What's not clear to me is what the draw is at 208V (or 220V). To get 3.3kW@208V the EVSE would have to offer some 16 amps. I don't know if either EVSE does so (though I'd love to know).

KenEE
05-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Yes I'd like to verify that the Volt charges at least twice as fast with the 240V Leaf unit as the 120V included unit.

But according to the SPX Voltec info, the 240V Voltec charges more than twice as fast. And if it were 12A vs. 15A then the Voltec would be 25% faster than the 240V Leaf unit.

I could imagine if the only mod was to input the 240V instead of 120V then the Leaf/Panny unit might be more of a 240V Level 1 unit if the signalling still told the Volt 12A max.

So 2X is nice, but 2.25X is nicer....

Rusty
05-08-2011, 04:20 PM
But according to the SPX Voltec info, the 240V Voltec charges more than twice as fast. And if it were 12A vs. 15A then the Voltec would be 25% faster than the 240V Leaf unit.

Interesting point, though your math might be a tad off. If the Leaf 240V EVSE is still limited to 12 amps (which makes sense, now that you mention it) then it's output is 2.88kW@240V, 2.64kW@220V, and 2.5kW@208V. The Voltec is said to be able to supply 3.3kW@240V. If it limits to 15 amps it still can provide 3.3kW@220V, but would fall to 3.12kW@208V.

That's ~15% faster at 240, 25%@220 (as you say), and ~25%@208 as well.

KenEE
05-08-2011, 04:50 PM
3/12 = .25 = 25% faster. (15A-12A)/12A = 3A/12A = .25 or 25% faster at 15A vs. 12A.

The Voltec sheet says 15A MAX so probably very few people actually know the real answer. I'm not going to buy both just to satisfy my curiosity, but if I knew it would make my decision for me. I would prefer the portability of the Leaf unit but not at the expense of charge rate.

Rusty
05-08-2011, 05:55 PM
The Voltec sheet says 15A MAX so probably very few people actually know the real answer.

The data sheet may say 15A Max, but at 240V a Volt will *not* draw more than 13.75 amps. Just like if you plug a Volt (or a Leaf) into an EVSE that offers 35 amps. They'll still only draw 13.75 amps@240V.

And some of the power going in to the EVSE is consumed in the EVSE. If the max draw from the mains is 15A, it wouldn't be unreasonable that the max delivered to the vehicle is somewhat lower. But I doubt they really account for that in the Voltec.

The thing that would be really nice to know is what current level the Voltec EVSE advertises. Anyone want to tie a couple probes to the barrier strip to measure the pulse width?

voltcrazy
05-09-2011, 01:23 AM
Yes I'd like to verify that the Volt charges at least twice as fast with the 240V Leaf unit as the 120V included unit.

Verified. I've charged using both 120V and 240V outlets using my modified Nissan unit. Charging times are about twice as fast with 240V. A little less than 5 hours, versus about 10 hours on 120V. Hopefully Ingineer will be able to upgrade these from 12-amp to 15-amps in the future, but for now I'm happy with ~2X charge rate!!!

Scottf200, thanks for starting this thread and pointing me to this cool mod!

KenEE
05-09-2011, 11:19 AM
Verified. ... now I'm happy with ~2X charge rate!!!

Scottf200, thanks for starting this thread and pointing me to this cool mod!

Hey thanks voltcrazy that's great! I guess my only holdup now is that I know as soon as I pay the $230+ premium for the mod then GM will fix their firmware to not require the delay or Panasonic will fix theirs so its Volt compatible etc... (I could easily add the 240V adapter myself at no charge)

I've been waiting on the SPX plugin that they told me will come in around $650.

I was sure this would happen. The companies thinking they were going to sell millions of $2500 home chargers were/are dreaming. Although that's probably what they are billing the govt (and thus us the taxpayers) for the "free" ones.

I sure would like to just buy the Leaf model for $500 and mod it myself. (no offense to the guy doing the mods for $$. I think that's a perfect example of the free market in action! )

Great Thread!

voltage692
05-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Still think you are better off with the Voltec 240V changer with a heavy duty plug retrofitted like another member did on here. Then you still get the 3.5 hour charge instead of almost 5 hours and save some bucks at the same time.

I just don't think that I will accidentially leave my 240V charger in my swimsuit pocket when I jump in the pool or plan to drive over the charger 8 times by accident, so the durability argument of the Panasonic over the Voltec to justify paying more for longer charge times is ridiculous.

KenEE
05-09-2011, 02:10 PM
[QUOTE=voltage692;70633]Still think you are better off with the Voltec 240V changer with a heavy duty plug retrofitted like another member did on here. Then you still get the 3.5 hour charge instead of almost 5 hours and save some bucks at the same time.

....QUOTE]

I agree. Just a few amps difference really adds up over a full charge cycle. I'm more interested in getting as fast a charge as possilbe. Sometimes I run home for lunch and the Voltec will give me the maximum bang for my buck.

It's so early in all of this. I'm sure there will soon be a small plugin unit like the Leaf/Panasonic with proper 240V operation and proper pilot signal to max out the Volt's charging rate.

Thanks All! - Ken

P.S. Ordered $490 240V Voltec just this minute. No problems. (SPX didn't even ask if I wanted installation) Will save me a couple hundred bucks and I'll get faster charging vs. the modified Leaf unit. WooHoo!

voltcrazy
05-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Still think you are better off with the Voltec 240V changer with a heavy duty plug retrofitted like another member did on here. Then you still get the 3.5 hour charge instead of almost 5 hours and save some bucks at the same time.

I agree 100%, if you are going to leave the Voltec unit at home, it is a faster charger for less money. Done deal! If however you are looking for Portability, the Nissan unit wins hands down. A single charger will cover both 120V and 240V situations while on the road. To get the same functionality with the Voltec units, you have to carry both your 120V charger and your 240V charger in your car.

As time goes on, I hope a manufacturer builds a portable charger that does 15-amp 120V and 240V, then we can have the best of both worlds. :-)

Ingineer
05-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Both the Nissan (Panasonic) and the Voltec portable unit are set at 12A. The Voltec can also do an 8A setting.

Neither unit can be converted to 240v operation simply by changing the plug to a 240v plug, they must have internal modifications with parts changed/added. If you try this, you risk instant destruction of your EVSE. This has already happened in a few cases with the Nissan units, one of which was done by well-known automotive journalist. (He told me he will write about it in his long-term review.)

I have indeed figured out a way to upgrade the Voltec unit for 240v operation, but the biggest problem is the unit is ultrasonically welded together, so getting it apart is difficult, and getting it back together intact is even harder!

On top of that, the Voltec is NOT sealed against water and only uses 16AWG throughout, which is barely adequate. Don't ever leave the cord wrapped up while using this unit, it will get dangerously hot! The Nissan unit uses #12AWG which is actually a bit overkill, so I feel confident that this unit will never cause a fire. It also uses screws so it can be opened easily for the upgrade.

Both the Volt and the Leaf will not use much more than 16A on any voltage, regardless of which EVSE is used.

I am looking into a possible additional upgrade to allow the full 16A to be optionally selected on the Nissan unit.

-Phil

voltcrazy
05-25-2011, 03:18 PM
I am looking into a possible additional upgrade to allow the full 16A to be optionally selected on the Nissan unit.

-Phil

Phil is fast! He has figured out how to lower the upgrade cost on the Nissan units to make them Volt-compatible to only $10, AND he has figured out to upgrade the Nissan units to full Level 2 (16-amp) charging! When this available, I will be sending my "rev 1" Nissan unit in for an upgrade to "rev 2"-- Full Level 2, Portable, charging! :-)

More details in this (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3981) thread.

volt3939
10-26-2011, 02:00 PM

Has anyone found out any more about this? i.e. are all current FEC's 240V compatible?

Is there a separate part number for the Ampera FEC? (I imagine so, as the plug would have to be different, at a minimum.) Is it possible to get one in the US?

artsci
11-05-2011, 06:43 PM
As I live in a townhouse with no garage and have about a 40' run from the front of my house to the parking spaces, I'm having an electrician run an underground line to a curbside in-ground, waterproof, lockable outlet box that will have both 120v and 240v plugs. As the 240V Voltec unit is not portable or suitable for outdoor use of the kind I'd have to put it to it's useless for me. So I've ordered the Nissan Leaf EVSE upgrade with the 16 amp option. The electrician's work will be finished on 11/14 and the Nissan Leaf unit upgraded for the Volt will arrive in time to have it all working that evening. Figure I'll get a full charge in about 4.5 hours, but I'll report back once it's all up and running next week.

voltcrazy
11-16-2011, 06:47 PM
FYI, after upgrading my 2011 Volt with the latest software upgrade, the stock Panasonic EVSE from a Leaf works with my car without modification. More here": http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?9492-Is-anyone-using-an-EVSE-110v-to-240v-conversion&p=98972#post98972

artsci
11-17-2011, 07:34 AM
To confirm voltcrazy's post, for reasons know only to GM, until the latest upgrade, the Volt software was not fully consistent with J1772 standards/specifications. The latest upgrade now makes the software fully compliant, so EVSE's upgraded Leaf/Panasonic unit will now work with the Volt with no modifications. This means that EVSE Upgrades's modified Leaf EVSE give us a fully portable unit that provides both Level 1 (120V) and Level 2 (240V) charging. I can't speak for others, but for people like me without gargages this is a dream. Also the Panasonic unit is of much higher quality than the 110v Voltec unit that comes with the car (for example, the latter has 16 gauge wire, the former 12).

bjhorton2005
12-15-2011, 01:30 AM
https://www.homecharging.spx.com/portal/Display.aspx?id=11&menu=8 Now you can get the portable 240v charger from SPX! :D

I plan on switching to that because my brother in Wisconsin has the proper plug in his garage. Anyone want to purchase my SPX wall unit at a discount?