: California DMV Form REG 1000 For Clean Air Vehicle Stickers

Frankman
01-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Has anyone registered their Volt with the CA Dept of Motor Vehicles as a Clean Air Vehicle? See this DMV form - http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg1000.pdf

I'm wondering what the benefits are of this sticker? Volt is not allowed in the CA HOV lanes until possibly mid-2012 (when GM estimates it will complete the certification requirements). Are there any benefits from having the sticker? I know that a Volt can park for free and charge for free at LAX for up to 30 days but I didn't think that the sticker was required to do that.

There is a place on the form to check what type of clean air vehicle you own. The Volt is a ATPZEV right? And the motive power is "Hybrid" rather than "Electric"?

LeelaLB
01-28-2011, 02:09 PM
The CA Clean Air stickers are for HOV lane access. The Volt does not qualify because it is not an AT-PZEV. Don't bother sending the form in as it will be rejected.

Mark Z
01-28-2011, 03:36 PM
This is the form to fill out for the California EV parking decal. If you park in the Electric Vehicle Charging Station spaces without the decal, you can get a ticket.

http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg4048.pdf

Here is the link to the law and the text shown on that page:

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d18/vc42001_6.htm

"V C Section 42001.6 Zero Emission Vehicle Parking Violation Fine

Zero-Emission Vehicle: Parking Violation Fine

42001.6. Every person convicted of an infraction for a violation of Section 22511.1 is punishable by a fine of one hundred dollars ($100).

No part of any fine imposed shall be suspended, except the court may suspend that portion of the fine above twenty-five dollars ($25) for a violation of Section 22511.1 if the person convicted possessed at the time of the offense, but failed to display, a valid zero-emission vehicle decal identification issued pursuant to subdivisions (a) and (b) of Section 5205.5. The fine may be paid in installments if the court determines that the defendant is unable to pay the entire amount in one payment.

Added Sec. 6, Ch. 640, Stats. 2002. Effective January 1, 2003."

Rusty
01-28-2011, 03:46 PM
This is the form to fill out for the California EV parking decal. If you park in the Electric Vehicle Charging Station spaces without the decal, you can get a ticket.

I don't believe the Volt is a zero emission vehicle. Does it qualify for this decal? Yes, I know it's absolutely an insane policy to say the Volt CAN be zero emission, but the state won't allow it to be zero emission and that it MUST burn gas. But I think that's the way the law is currently worded.

Has anyone with a Volt applied for this decal yet? How do you fill out the "As specified on DMV records, the motive power is:" line? Does DMV understand the Volt's primary motive power is electric?

evil_attorney
01-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Has anyone with a Volt applied for this decal yet? How do you fill out the "As specified on DMV records, the motive power is:" line? Does DMV understand the Volt's primary motive power is electric?

Sounds like we need a test case. I don't have my license plate yet, which I think is needed. As soon as I get that I will send in my $17 as a test case.

Rusty
01-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Sounds like we need a test case. I don't have my license plate yet, which I think is needed. As soon as I get that I will send in my $17 as a test case.

Either a test case or a trip to a DMV office where they know what they're talking about. The latter seems unlikely, though it could happen.

maynard
01-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Wow, am I glad we don't live in California. I have never heard of so many stupid laws and fines. Now I know why California is often considered as not being part of the US.

evil_attorney
01-28-2011, 05:32 PM
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=25333517790+1+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

22511. (f) (1) For purposes of implementing this section, the Department
of Motor Vehicles shall make available for issuance, beginning July
1, 2003, for a fee determined by the Department of Motor Vehicles to
be sufficient to reimburse it for actual costs incurred pursuant to
this section, distinctive decals for zero-emission vehicles.

(g) For purposes of this section, "zero-emission vehicle" means
any car, truck, or any other vehicle that produces no tailpipe or
evaporative emissions.

The Volt produces emissions, therefore I don't think it qualifies. However, check out C below.

22511.1. (a) A person may not park or leave standing any vehicle in
a stall or space designated pursuant to Section 22511 unless a valid
zero-emission vehicle decal identification issued pursuant to
Section 22511 is displayed on that vehicle.
(b) A person may not obstruct, block, or otherwise bar access to
parking stalls or spaces described in subdivision (a) except as
provided in subdivision (a).
(c) A person shall not display a decal issued pursuant to Section
22511 on a vehicle that does not use electricity as the motive power.

I think we need to contact our state reps and cite this code. It needs to be changed. It will be illegal for the plugin Prius or any other plugin hybrid to charge too.

Rusty
01-28-2011, 05:38 PM
It will be illegal for the plugin Prius or any other plugin hybrid to charge too.

Non-sequitur, do we know if the PIP uses a J1772 connection? Does it have both a 120 & 240V charge capability? The questions aren't meant to bash or belittle, I just don't recall hearing.

ocryan
01-28-2011, 05:42 PM
I completed the form and sent the $17 a few weeks ago, mostly because I was curious. Nothing back yet, but I'll report back when I get the sticker...or a rejection letter.

evil_attorney
01-28-2011, 05:42 PM
Non-sequitur, do we know if the PIP uses a J1772 connection? Does it have both a 120 & 240V charge capability? The questions aren't meant to bash or belittle, I just don't recall hearing.

Yes, it I believe it will use the standard connector: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20101122/GREEN/101129980

George Parrott
01-28-2011, 05:50 PM
This "test case mailing and response" could take a while. It took the California DMV over 8 weeks to process and return my wife's handicapped parking permit which we sent in to them early November 2010 and I still do not have my driver's license renewal mailed about that time. FYI, after 6 weeks of not hearing a thing on the handicapped permit, I sent letters to incoming Governor Brown, the Director of the DMV and to both my state legislator and representative. I finally did get a call from the DMV saying "they have no record of our handicapped application," but that call came a week AFTER we had actually gotten her permit from them. A more screwed up and incompetent group of morons would be hard to find.

And I am also a California State employee, so this is very embarassing to me to say the above.

evil_attorney
01-28-2011, 05:50 PM
I completed the form and sent the $17 a few weeks ago, mostly because I was curious. Nothing back yet, but I'll report back when I get the sticker...or a rejection letter.

Excellent. We can see if the DMV is paying attention. It sure looks like they should not issue the sticker. However, if they slip up, it may not be illegal to use it with the Volt, per section 22511.1 C.

evil_attorney
01-28-2011, 06:16 PM
I was going to write to my state senator about this. After I looked her up I realized that she is dead and her position is still apparently vacant. Sometimes it's just really difficult to get things done in California.

Jeff N
01-28-2011, 06:17 PM
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/waisgate?WAISdocID=25333517790+1+0+0&WAISaction=retrieve

I think we need to contact our state reps and cite this code. It needs to be changed. It will be illegal for the plugin Prius or any other plugin hybrid to charge too.

I made contact a couple of weeks ago with some long-time California EV and plug-in activists including Felix Kramer of CalCars.org. I wrote up an email that pointed out these issues along with links to the vehicle code section and the DMV form. I know that my message was forwarded to folks who are working directly with legislators and state staff on updating existing laws and regulations for the new wave of EVs now beginning to arrive.

I'll post an update when I learn of any progress from them on this issue.

ocryan
01-28-2011, 06:18 PM
I was going to write to my state senator about this. After I looked her up I realized that she is dead and her position is still apparently vacant. Sometimes it's just really difficult to get things done in California.

Yes, but it's in the seventies and sunny today :)

evil_attorney
01-28-2011, 06:25 PM
Yes, but it's in the seventies and sunny today :)

Of course you are correct. If you can't get things done, you can always enjoy the weather. :-)

maynard
01-28-2011, 06:42 PM
Of course you are correct. If you can't get things done, you can always enjoy the weather. :-)
And the fruits and nuts.:)

LGA
01-29-2011, 12:39 AM
Has anyone with a Volt applied for this decal yet?

I sent the form in to the DMV a week or so ago. I'll report back when I hear anything.

homebreww
01-29-2011, 12:59 AM

I have also applied for the CA sticker; I did so two weeks ago. All you need is a VIN number to do so. I specified the motive power as electric.

jeffhre
02-01-2011, 01:57 AM
And the fruits and nuts.:) Yes that's true. A local hospital would recruit kids from the University of Michigan. Put 'em of a plane with three feet of snow on the ground in January. They'd step off the plane into brilliant sunshine and 70 degree weather. They'd get into a car and be driven immediately to an out door theme restaurant with acres of beautiful trees, flowers in full bloom, and as you said, fruits and nuts. On the vine and freshly packaged for sale. Those kids from the mid west had a terribly difficult time turning down any offer the hospital made, or even getting back in the plane for that matter.

Just a funny story I recalled, since you did mention fruits and nuts.

jeffhre
02-01-2011, 01:59 AM
I have also applied for the CA sticker; I did so two weeks ago. All you need is a VIN number to do so. I specified the motive power as electric.

Hope this eventually works. Would they consider motive power "hybrid" though?

homebreww
02-20-2011, 12:13 PM
I just received a nice REJECTION for the "Zero Emission Vehicle Parking Decal Application". The cover letter states that "the motive of power (MOP) for the above vehicle is gas and not Compressed Natural Gas". The letter goes on to ask that I go to the local DMV to have them verify that my MOP is Compressed Natural Gas.

The spirit of this regulation generated several years ago for issuing the decal was to have a way to prevent cars that cannot use chargers from taking spaces. Without this parking decal sticker on a Volt parked in an EV spot charging, it is possible to get ticketed.

Does anyone have suggestions on appealing/changing the regulation?

ocryan
02-20-2011, 12:14 PM
I just received a nice REJECTION for the "Zero Emission Vehicle Parking Decal Application". The cover letter states that "the motive of power (MOP) for the above vehicle is gas and not Compressed Natural Gas". The letter goes on to ask that I go to the local DMV to have them verify that my MOP is Compressed Natural Gas.

The spirit of this regulation generated several years ago for issuing the decal was to have a way to prevent cars that cannot use chargers from taking spaces. Without this parking decal sticker on a Volt parked in an EV spot charging, it is possible to get ticketed.

Does anyone have suggestions on appealing/changing the regulation?

I got the exact same letter yesterday.

evil_attorney
02-20-2011, 12:52 PM
This is no shock. I think the best course of action is to write to our state senators and reps and to get several of the ev blogs to write articles about this to raise awareness. Maybe the new management on this site could write something up?

Rusty
02-20-2011, 03:32 PM
I think the best course of action is to write to our state senators and reps and to get several of the ev blogs to write articles about this to raise awareness.

I would think the mostly likely productive course would be for GM's lobbyists to put pressure on Sacramento. Ground swell can have positive effects, but there really aren't that many of us here. Like it or not, it's lobbying dollars that get law maker's attention.

But it's totally stupid for the state to say "We want reduced pollution" and also say "We want your Volts to pollute because we won't let you charge."

That said, it's not clear to me in the law whether Volts should be allowed or not. It's not surprising that bureaucrats error on the side of denial. Anyone care to sue the state over this (possibly as a class action)?

TinManNFO
02-20-2011, 03:58 PM
"...not Compressed Natural Gas"? Sounds like either an automated system that doesn't recognize the Volt or a human that doesn't know what they are doing.

One thing I don't get is what happens if you are a tourist or visitor from out of state with an electric vehicle and you plug it into one of these charging stations, and you don't have the decal? Sometimes it feels like these people would give you a ticket anyway...

Mark Z
02-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Call the local TV Station if you can find a J1772 parking spot for them to do a story on how you can't charge your car legally. Having them film the letter as how Sacramento is messed up could help have some video to send with the protest letter. If you ever get a ticket for charging (not just parking) take some photos and the forms and rejection letter to fight it in court. The folks processing the forms see "Q" as motive power and reject. Not good, but you are saving me $17.

I hope they returned your check.

All the old charge stations have the old connectors anyway. I'll fight for the second meter first. The Tesla arrives next year, that one will need the sticker.

I can't imagine anyone ticketing if they see the car plugged in. It's that airport parking without plugging in and no sticker that I would not risk.

evil_attorney
02-20-2011, 07:45 PM
That said, it's not clear to me in the law whether Volts should be allowed or not. It's not surprising that bureaucrats error on the side of denial. Anyone care to sue the state over this (possibly as a class action)?

No, I think the law is clear. The stickers go to ZEVs only:

"22511. (f) (1) For purposes of implementing this section, the Department

evaporative emissions."

Note that it doesn't say "vehicle that can produce no tailpipe or evaporative emissions". I'm sure it was written this way (apparently in 2003) to exclude hybrids like the first gen prius.

The more media attention we can get the better. Chevy lobbyists would be good too. This could cause a small amount of bad press for the Volt, so you would think GM would want to get on top of this one fast.

voltowner
02-20-2011, 08:53 PM
After reading this thread I am confused. There is a Chargepoint charging station in downtown Healdsburg (near me) I found on the web when searching for them. Do I need some sort of sticker to park and charge there besided the ChargePass Card I have to order from the company?

I have been getting close to 30 miles per charge this first week. Little less the day it rained and I used the wipers, lights and heater. But this will get me home before going to gas most days! Used some gas today on a longer drive so the miles per gallon to date shows as 168. Jsut love it, Roy

JBHorner
02-21-2011, 12:09 AM
I know someone who worked on the Volt program at GM. They are very aware of the issues with the carpool stickers. In fact, they tried to fight it. In her words, "we worked on the occupancy lane issue, but in the end lost." CARB is a very formidable foe, unfortunately. It's steeped in old, and binary, thinking. I cover this briefly in another post, where I point out that people who drive pure electrics, with poor range, likely have other cars that don't help the environment.

I recall that the Governator signed another bill before leaving office that will allow some plug-ins another type of carpool sticker starting in 2012. I haven't researched that bill, but I'm told that the Volt won't qualify for that one either, due to its emissions when the engine does run. (The bill is SB 535.) I haven't really researched it to validate the information, however.

For those interested, here's a link explaining why our Volts will not qualify. http://www.plugincars.com/essential-facts-about-california-electric-car-rebates-49793.html

For those who think contacting the media will help, I wish you luck. The carpool access stickers have always been a bone of contention for Californians, as they were seen as a perk for upper-income individuals. (The first generations of the Prius were expensive compared to, say, a Corola--if you could get them at all.) I don't imagine there will be very many people who will be sympathetic to people buying a $40,000 car, and unhappy they cannot get access to a carpool lane while driving solo. I had many dirty looks when I was in the carpool lane, solo, in my Prius. What irritates me is the delivery trucks that were always going about 60 in the carpool lane. Aside from having two people, why should they be allowed in the carpool lane? Low emissions? Better fuel economy? They'd have two people anyway, and the soot from their diesel engines doesn't help. Sorry...I digressed. :-)

Joel

DonC
02-21-2011, 01:54 AM
There are two separate issues. One is the parking and charge spots. That's just what happens when you have a form that assumes a technology. It should get fixed. (Why you need a decal if you can plug the car in is beyond me). The HOV lane issue revolves around whether the Volt is a AT-PZEV. As it stands it's not. GM has announced it will bring out a model which qualifies in 2012. Note this will also qualify the Volt for a rebate, assuming there is any money left.

evil_attorney
02-21-2011, 12:07 PM
Yes, we are talking strictly about the stickers needed to charge at a public charging station. As for the public vs. private charger question, I think the answer is that you can't park in either if there is a valid EV parking space sign according to the law. A direct link to the law won't work, so I apologize for the large amount of text:

22511. (a) Any local authority, by ordinance or resolution, and any
person in lawful possession of an offstreet parking facility may
designate stalls or spaces in an offstreet parking facility owned or
operated by that local authority or person for the exclusive purpose
of fueling and parking a vehicle that displays a valid zero-emission
vehicle (ZEV) decal identification posted on the driver's side rear
window or bumper of the vehicle or, notwithstanding any other
provision of law, if the vehicle does not have a rear window or
bumper, on the driver's side of the windshield issued by the
Department of Motor Vehicles pursuant to this section. The
designation shall be made by posting a sign in compliance with
subdivision (d) or (e).
(b) If posted in accordance with subdivision (d) or (e), the owner
or person in lawful possession of a privately owned or operated
offstreet parking facility, after notifying the police or sheriff's
department, may cause the removal of a vehicle from a stall or space
designated pursuant to subdivision (a) in the facility to the nearest
public garage if a valid ZEV decal identification issued pursuant to
this section is not displayed on the vehicle.
(c) If posted in accordance with subdivision (d), the local
authority owning or operating an offstreet parking facility, after
notifying the police or sheriff's department, may cause the removal
of a vehicle from a stall or space designated pursuant to subdivision
(a) in the facility to the nearest garage, as defined in Section
340, that is owned, leased, or approved for use by a public agency if
a valid ZEV decal identification issued pursuant to this section is
not displayed on the vehicle.
(d) The posting required for an offstreet parking facility owned
or operated either privately or by a local authority shall consist of
a sign not less than 17 by 22 inches in size with lettering not less
than one inch in height which clearly and conspicuously states the
following: "Unauthorized vehicles not displaying valid zero-emission
vehicle decal identifications will be towed away at owner's expense.
Towed vehicles may be reclaimed at

________________________________or by telephoning
(Address)
_______________________________________________."
(Telephone number of local law enforcement
agency)

The sign shall be posted in either of the following locations:
(1) Immediately adjacent to, and visible from, the stall or space.
(2) In a conspicuous place at each entrance to the offstreet
parking facility.
(e) If the parking facility is privately owned and public parking
is prohibited by the posting of a sign meeting the requirements of
paragraph (1) of subdivision (a) of Section 22658, the requirements
of subdivision (b) may be met by the posting of a sign immediately
adjacent to, and visible from, each stall or space indicating that a
vehicle not meeting the requirements of subdivision (a) will be
removed at the owner's expense and containing the telephone number of
the local traffic law enforcement agency.
(f) (1) For purposes of implementing this section, the Department
(2) The department shall design the decal, which shall be two
inches by two inches, and be placed on the driver's side rear window
or bumper of the vehicle, or, notwithstanding any other provision of
law, if the vehicle does not have a rear window or bumper, on the
driver's side of the windshield. Each decal shall display a unique
number. The decal may be provided to car dealers who sell electric
vehicles for distribution to ZEV purchasers.
evaporative emissions.
(h) Nothing in this section is intended to interfere with existing
law governing the ability of local authorities to adopt ordinances
related to parking programs within their jurisdiction, such as
programs that provide free parking in metered areas or municipal
garages for electric vehicles.

22511.1. (a) A person may not park or leave standing any vehicle in
a stall or space designated pursuant to Section 22511 unless a valid
zero-emission vehicle decal identification issued pursuant to
Section 22511 is displayed on that vehicle.
(b) A person may not obstruct, block, or otherwise bar access to
parking stalls or spaces described in subdivision (a) except as
provided in subdivision (a).
(c) A person shall not display a decal issued pursuant to Section
22511 on a vehicle that does not use electricity as the motive power.

DonC
02-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Yes, we are talking strictly about the stickers needed to charge at a public charging station. As for the public vs. private charger question, I think the answer is that you can't park in either if there is a valid EV parking space sign according to the law.
This is very helpful. Nice digging.

My first reaction is thaa while this authorizes ZEV parking it doesn't seem to prevent something else. For example, if I own a mall and have charger spots reserved for cars with plugs, then this section doesn't apply, does it? IOW authorizing one thing doesn't mean you're prohibiting another.

This entire sticker idea is an absurdity. I'm not a government basher but this is one of those situations where you just shake your head and wonder what these people are thinking when they establish an entire process when something far simpler would do the trick without any crazy permitting process.

FWIW whether limiting parking in EV spaces to ZEV vehicles is a good idea or not depends on what your goal is. If it's just to encourage cleaner vehicles then it makes no sense. In fact it's counter productive in that you're preventing someone from driving EV miles by not letting them charge. And since a PHEV will have a smaller battery, allowing PHEV charging would increase EV miles and decrease gas miles whereas it would have no effect on EV miles for a ZEV since those miles will be EV in any event. Along the same lines, why allow CNG vehicles? They essentially burn methane and are in no way shape or form a zero emission vehicle.

On the other hand, if it's to make sure people don't get stranded then it does. The fact is that something like a Leaf needs access to charing a whole lot more than a Volt does. For a Volt owner the charging is convenient. For a Leaf owner it may be necessary in order to avoid einding up by the side of the road with a flat battery.

ammPilot
03-07-2011, 04:03 PM
I just spoke with someone from the CARB about the Clean Air Vehicle Sticker (aka the carpool lane sticker). It's entirely in the manufacturer's hands (well, theirs and our beloved state government's): there is nothing we owners can do directly.

Indirectly, though, we can lobby GM to keep the pressure on California. But, it sounds like GM has already rather given up on that battle with the 2011 Volt--unless I misinterpret the above thread. Any recommendations, regardless of that, on who at GM to contact?

Rusty
03-07-2011, 04:34 PM
It shouldn't be just GM lobbying. It should also be Toyota (PIP), Ford (PHEV Focus), and every other auto manufacturer planning on making PHEVs.

I just finished 23 days without burning a single drop of gas. This law needs to be updated.

Mayhaps so much so that I may just poke my congress critters!

ocryan
03-07-2011, 06:59 PM
I just spoke with someone from the CARB about the Clean Air Vehicle Sticker (aka the carpool lane sticker). It's entirely in the manufacturer's hands (well, theirs and our beloved state government's): there is nothing we owners can do directly.

Indirectly, though, we can lobby GM to keep the pressure on California. But, it sounds like GM has already rather given up on that battle with the 2011 Volt--unless I misinterpret the above thread. Any recommendations, regardless of that, on who at GM to contact?

This factoid is covered here:
http://www.thedetroitbureau.com/2010/09/california-gives-volt-hov-lane-access-after-all/

Apparently us 2011 model year owners are SOL since the sticker requires an exhaust modification that will be on the 2012 model year.

Mark Z
04-16-2011, 04:37 AM
I doubt there would be any problem when charging at a ChargePoint charge station because you have to pay for the privilege of having a card even if the charging is free. The ChargePoint card is not free (except with a home charge station) or you use a credit card with contactless access. Once the Volt is plugged in, the ChargePoint smart phone app will allow you to monitor if the vehicle is still plugged in. You can setup ChargePoint on the web to send you an email if the charge handle is removed from the car.

This entire window sticker issue must have occurred when electric vehicles stopped being manufactured and someone got the idea that zero emission vehicles should have the right to park (and not charge) in those spaces. Now the electric plug-in is back and we may have to fight any ticketing if we are using the charge station. ChargePoint keeps track of the usage on the web account, so I can prove that I was putting electricity into the Volt.

JamesMessa
12-30-2011, 03:24 AM
Note that effective 1/1/12, parking in EV parking spaces is not restricted to ZEVs.

Plug-in hybrids (PHEVs) and extended range electric vehicles (EREVs) are allowed. Significantly, that includes Volts, and will include the Fisker Karma and the Plug-In Prius. The vehicle must be "connected for electric charging purposes." The vehicle does not have to be actively charging -- it just needs to be connected.

The old ZEV parking stickers have been discontinued and are no longer issued by the state.

Towing is authorized ONLY if a proper sign, 17 x 22 inches in size, with one-inch high lettering, is posted. The local police of sheriff's department must be notified before a vehicle may be removed.

Such signs are practically non-existent, so realistically towing is not likely -- not of ICE cars, nor of EVs that are not connected.

More information at www.leginfo.legislature.ca.gov -- search on Bill Number AB-475. That will get a summary. For full details, you can then click on "Today's Law As Amended."

Hope that helps put the charging issue to rest..

eHelmholtz
08-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Has anyone registered their Volt with the CA Dept of Motor Vehicles as a Clean Air Vehicle? See this DMV form - http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg1000.pdf
This is bringing back an old thread but I thought it would be more appropriate then starting yet another HOV sticker thread. Obviously, this thread is old and the current Volts sold in California all qualify for REG 1000 Green Stickers.

My question is how long does it take for stickers to arrive once an application is submitted? The same form that I filled out for the LEAF's white sticker a year ago took about 2 weeks but I have heard that it can sometimes take months. What is everyone's experience?

sipNgas
08-24-2012, 10:24 PM
My question is how long does it take for stickers to arrive once an application is submitted? The same form that I filled out for the LEAF's white sticker a year ago took about 2 weeks but I have heard that it can sometimes take months. What is everyone's experience?

Mine took 2 weeks; amazingly fast if you ask me! And knowing what kind of financial problems California is having, I'm very surprised it still costs only $8....thats the same price I payed in 2003 for my hybrid HOV sticker. I actually would have payed 100s as it was one of the main reasons for buying a Volt.