: Enable DVD when driving. Is the disabling based on software?

cheifsfan
12-30-2010, 04:29 PM
In cars the DVD Video on the front screen isn't allowed to play when the car is in motion. The bypass in most cars is to just ground the parking wire to the unit. In this case I assume there isn't a parking wire and it is all software based? Anyone have any idea? WOT (I know you don't recommend doing this, but it would be nice to know lol). Anyone even begun to look at a hack for this? I don't need it for myself but it would be nice for the kids....

Thanks,
P

WopOnTour
12-30-2010, 04:44 PM
In cars the DVD Video on the front screen isn't allowed to play when the car is in motion. The bypass in most cars is to just ground the parking wire to the unit. In this case I assume there isn't a parking wire and it is all software based? Anyone have any idea? WOP (I know you don't recommend doing this, but it would be nice to know lol). Anyone even begun to look at a hack for this? I don't need it for myself but it would be nice for the kids....

Thanks,
PIt's all network and software driven. All GMs with front mounted DVD systems work this way.I've not heard of a hack, but won't dispute that it's "possible".
Sorry
WOT

cheifsfan
12-30-2010, 05:09 PM
Well if it is software driven on all GM car's then that is great news. I added a hacked box to my 2007 tahoe to allow navigation input and DVD playback while in motion. I was always under the assumption it was grounding parking break wire to allow playback. If it is software based and they have done it on other models then the hack should be out at some point. Good news. Thanks again

PatsVolt
01-05-2011, 05:52 PM
Something I received today from a company called Solid Signal. I don't know if the device will work with the Volt, but who knows.

Here is the URL:
www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp?mc=06&p=GMX550&d=Coastal-E-Tech-GMX550-Lockpick-DVD-and-Navigation-Unlock-Device-IPODIPHONEIPAD-Interface-(GMX550)&c=DVD%20Navigation%20Lockpicks&sku=

Home | Automotive & Marine | DVD Navigation Lockpicks | Coastal Electronic Technologies GMX550
< Shop All DVD Navigation Lockpicks

Click to Zoom
ALTERNATE VIEWS

(No reviews)
Read Reviews
Write a Review

Coastal E Tech GMX-550 Lockpick DVD and Navigation Unlock Device IPOD/IPHONE/IPAD Interface (GMX550)

Model: GMX550
Availability: Usually Ships Same Day
The new GMX550 can activate audio and video out in all capable Apple products as well as provide advanced functions for the iPhone/iTouch devices and display it on the front screen.This is the first product available for vehicle integration that can activate the iPod out graphic function in iPhone and iTouch products. More >
● Compatiable with most 2007-2010 GM Vehicles
● Advanced use of steering wheel controls for Lockpick operation:.
● Full text menus on your factory instrument panel of all Lockpick functions
● USB update ability to keep current with new software revisions­/
● Front/rear/left/right camera input and control for automatic operations or manual viewing anytime
Our Price: $299.99
MSRP: $349.99 You Saved $50.00

Questions
Qty:
Ground Shipping: $9.95 Additional Shipping Options

FEATURES
Compatiable with most 2007-2010 GM Vehicles
Advanced use of steering wheel controls for Lockpick operation:.
Full text menus on your factory instrument panel of all Lockpick functions
USB update ability to keep current with new software revisions­/
Front/rear/left/right camera input and control for automatic operations or manual viewing anytime
iPod/iPad/iPhone/iTouch connection with activation of all available video functionsage
Use of steering wheel controls to search and play songs on iPhone/iTouch devices image
The interface allows manual and automatic activation of front/rear/left/right cameras and provides standard video inputs for each as well as providing camera power connections.
AUX inputs for video and audio are also included allowing connections from any type of multimedia device to display on the front screen and the audio to be heard through the sound system.
The GMX550 includes connections and inputs for a handsfree bluetooth kit allowing simple integration of aftermarket kits.
Also, the GMX550 provides outputs for audio and video to external screens or headrests. The output is fully dual zone allowing independent viewing and audio from any of the connected sources regardless of what is being viewed on the the front screen.
Navigation Address Input in motion
DVD play and AUX input fully enabled (in equipped vehicles)
Audio/Video input
Special cables and connectors for plug-in installations that are completely reversiblege

This Is A Complete Kit
Includes Plug And Play Vehicle Harness
7 Foot Ipod/Iphone/Itouch/Ipad Connecting Cable
A/V Output Cable For Connection To External Screen Or Headrest Multimedia
Advanced Gmx550 Interface Module

COMPATIABLE WITH THE FOLLOWING GM MODELS:

2007-10 CADILLAC ESCALADES

2007-10 TAHOES

2007-10 AVALANCHES

2007-10 YUKONS

2007-10 SUBURBANS

2007-10 DENALIS

2007-10 SILVERADOS

2007-10 SIERRAS

Solid Signal accepts no responsibility due to the improper installation or use of this product. Installation and/or use of this product implies and signifies user acceptance of this term of use. Please adhere to all driving laws in your state.

The new GMX550 can activate audio and video out in all capable Apple products as well as provide advanced functions for the iPhone/iTouch devices and display it on the front screen. This is the first product available for vehicle integration that can activate the iPod out graphic function in iPhone and iTouch products. The GMX550 integrates this function with the factory steering wheel controls for a seamless operation!

Product GMX550 Specification Sheet
REVIEW SNAPSHOT«by PowerReviews Express
Not yet rated. Be the first to Write a Review

honoreitiscom
01-05-2011, 07:15 PM
I bought a similar device for the Prius from Coastal E Tech, it worked great.

JohnK
01-05-2011, 09:18 PM
This reminds me of a hack that I did on an IBM mainframe that I worked on about 35 years ago. I was studying the microcode listings that had been thrown in the waste can. I wanted to play with modifications to it. I discovered that there was a memory alter/display utility as part of the microcode. The problem is that it was disabled by a hardware lock that required a key that the "CE" carried. Then I discovered the test for the CE key - it was a single bit to be tested and only required a single bit to be modified. Then I found a single hole that had to be punched in the microcode deck (yes it was a deck of punch cards). That caused a checksum, but that was fixed by a single additional bit in the checksum. After that I could alter the microcode to my heart's content. And oddly, by altering that one bit it now REQUIRED the CE key be off rather than on. Almost got undone once when I left my altered microcode in the machine and a CE made an unannounced visit. He put the CE key in and just could not figure out why he could not display memory. It seemed to clear up when he reloaded the microcode (with the standard deck).

cheifsfan
01-06-2011, 12:01 AM
I actually own and use the lockpick for my 2007 tahoe. It is awesome. I got mine in 2009 so it may be slightly different WOT can you look at the harness in the link above and let us know if the volt has something similar or is it completely different and new for the volt? If it's similar I can try and install it in the volt barring someone tells me how to get to the harness lol. I assume it's completely different due to the console integration into the navigation. Only thing that sucks is I know someone can make something that works but with the low amount if production cars being made over the next couple years it may be 2-3 years before it's worth someones time to make and sell to make some money.

Btw, Is there a volt service manual out yet?

unplugged
01-07-2011, 01:37 AM
Btw, Is there a volt service manual out yet?

Not yet. It will be released here on 4/15/11

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=helm&Mfg=GMC&Make=CHV&Model=VOLT&Year=2011&Category=&Keyword=&Module=&selected_media=

maynard
01-07-2011, 10:10 AM
I presume that the service manual will be available to purchase. I see that it is a Helm manual as most other US cars have. Now I wonder; how much?

MichaelH
01-07-2011, 10:15 AM
It is supposed to be available April 15, 2011, and I think the price was going to be $150.

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.asp?Style=helm&Mfg=GMC&Make=CHV&Model=VOLT&Year=2011&Category=&Keyword=&Module=&selected_media=

Lowa
12-13-2011, 05:54 PM
I'm more interested in being able to input addresses into the Nav while in motion (i.e. if I have a passenger, they should be able to do it while I'm driving). Does anyone have a wiring diagram showing how to get to the nav harness and pull the speed wire? I am assuming this would allow address input while in motion.

silvercorvette
01-02-2012, 09:43 PM
One of the things I hate about all factory NAV systems is you can't input info while moving, I almost did not get a NAV unit till I realized you can just push a Onstar button and they will find and down load your destination to the NAV in about a minute.

Also wouldn't it make more sense to buy a 9 inch portable Sony DVD player for $127 LINK (http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DVP-FX970-9-Inch-Portable-Player/dp/B004U5QE4M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325558220&sr=8-1)

Or I consider a Blu Ray player a better option, you can get a nice 9 inch B/R from $250 to $500 it we free up the console screen to display weather, climate, power flow and NAV screen.
LINK (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=blu+ray+portable+player&x=0&y=0)

It makes more Sense to me because lot of movies I rent from Block Buster are Blu Ray

silvercorvette
01-02-2012, 11:28 PM
SAM'S CLUB HAS THIS (http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/product.jsp?productId=prod3490044&navAction=push) Blu ray player for $299

silvercorvette
01-03-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm more interested in being able to input addresses into the Nav while in motion (i.e. if I have a passenger, they should be able to do it while I'm driving). Does anyone have a wiring diagram showing how to get to the nav harness and pull the speed wire? I am assuming this would allow address input while in motion.

You have 3 free years of Onstar, all you need to do is push the blue button and On start will input the address for you, try it nex time you are in the ca.

AtlantaVolt
05-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Reviving an old thread, but has anyone tried NavTV (www.navtv.com).com 's solution for video in motion? The install manual for their Volt solution is here. It basically interrupts the GPS signal and allows DVD in Motion, as well as Nav input (although you have to turn it back off for Nav to track and work).

The link to the installation guide is HERE (http://navtv.com/userfiles/editor/file/manuals/Barracuda/Volt%20VIM.pdf). It seems to be all plug and play, was just curious if anyone had experience. It looks like it would also allow additional video inputs for those models that don't have DVD capability.