: Alternative 240v Charging Dock - EV2104

airton
12-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Here is my EV-Charge America EV2104 that I installed today, If you don't want to wait for the Voltec this is a good option.

read more about it here:
http://www.ev-chargeamerica.com/products_ev2104.html

http://www.acadesign.com/photo_web.jpg

Marty
12-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Very clean installation, I like the roof! Did you build it custom for the charging station?

I would have made the cable a few inches longer and brought in the bottom of the junction box for a drip-loop to keep water out. The outdoor fitting is likely to be fine but it never hurts to let gravity work to your advantage.

LGA
12-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Shouldn't the hardwired supply connection be in conduit to meet California code?

Marty
12-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Shouldn't the hardwired supply connection be in conduit to meet California code?

It appears to be outdoor-rated water-tight flex conduit, probably 1/2 inch.

Rusty
12-03-2010, 11:54 PM

Possibly, if airton didn't live in New Jersey...

airton
12-04-2010, 09:35 AM
Very clean installation, I like the roof! Did you build it custom for the charging station?

I would have made the cable a few inches longer and brought in the bottom of the junction box for a drip-loop to keep water out. The outdoor fitting is likely to be fine but it never hurts to let gravity work to your advantage.

Thanks Marty, yes I built it specifically for my outdoor charging. Here is the plan/drawing I made up and used for this little project. (PDF attached)

Yes that is a outdoor-rated water-tight 3/4 inch flex conduit and a water tight box/fittings, the roof also extends 14" over the unit for added protection.

honoreitiscom
12-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Airton:The EV-Charge America web site says the charger connects with a "standard dryer or electric range style wall plug". Did you chop off that plug and hard wire it directly?

My electrician says a dryer plug is different from a range plug. If you still have the plug, any chance you can post a photo of it?

Thanks.

jimcking
12-06-2010, 02:06 PM
The directions say it is a NEMA 14-50P which plugs into a NEMA 14-50R. Picture attached. The problem is this plug requires a neutral (total of three conductors plus ground)(4 pins).

I ordered the EV2104 also. I also only ran a two conductor with ground cable earlier because I was planning to use the Voltec Charger which does not have a neutral connection.

Airton, does the EV2104 actually use the neutral?

Jim K.

Mike-o-Matic
12-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Very clean installation, I like the roof! Dang, Marty, you took the words right outta my brain. Nice work, Airton!!

airton
12-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Hi all, see the attached Installation Guide (2 jpgs) and a photo of the plug.

Jim, you should be OK without using the Neutral but I would check with EV-Charge America just to be sure.

Airton

LGA
12-06-2010, 04:01 PM
This what I always called a "stove plug". The typical "Dryer Plug" is 30 Amps.

airton
12-06-2010, 04:58 PM
yes the plug is rated @ up to 40 Amps (it's stamped on there)

DarkStar
12-18-2010, 01:57 PM
This post has been removed.

ChrisC
12-18-2010, 03:08 PM
Wow, that's pretty damning. Nothing connects to the signal pins at all? Nice. Well, at least you got the case and the J1772 plug out of the transaction, and "just" need to simulate the pilot signal :)

Marty
12-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Hi Airton,

I've published my review of the EV-Charge America EV2104 to the MyNissanLeaf.com forum at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2041.

I'm concerned that you received a very similar unit to the one I received and unless certain precautions are taken, could be dangerous. Thanks!

It looks from the photos that there is a copper braid or shield on the J1772 cable that is just chopped off. This along with the missing GFCI really makes the possibility of a damaged cable or plug highly dangerous.

Of note, the coiled cord in the Voltec unit doesn't seem to be shielded. It has five conductors - two line, ground, pilot, and one other, most likely the LED flashlight.

I think the proximity signal is toward the vehicle, not toward the EVSE. Proximity pin tied to ground perhaps via a diode or resistor for verification. Its purpose is to prevent the vehicle from powering up and moving while the cord is in place. The proximity signal is optional in the spec. Vehicle makers could just as easily use a microswitch or optical sensor to detect the presence of the charging plug.

DarkStar
12-19-2010, 12:48 PM

Cari
12-19-2010, 01:10 PM
Airton, I am so impressed. Nice work. How much did this kit and all cost you? We are hoping for free charger, but there are some supply issues and other things we have to deal with (Buying from outside of our Market - DFW doesn't go on line with Volt Sales until about March or April)

honoreitiscom
12-19-2010, 07:37 PM
I've published my review of the EV-Charge America EV2104 to the MyNissanLeaf.com forum at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2041.

DarkStar feels the EV Charge America unit would not charge a Leaf or Volt. Airton: Have you actually used your EV Charge America unit to charge a Leaf or Volt yet? Thanks.

mbartosik
01-15-2011, 01:43 PM
So what exactly does the 240v charger do?

I can see need for over current protection.
Ground leakage / fault protection.

But a correctly wired pool plump has this too, and a 20A two pole GFI breaker is only about $30.

In addition I can see a possible need to signal to the EV how much current it may drain.
Also a need to switch on/off power when EV is connected/disconnect - so as not to leave a powered cable dangling in the wet - as cable is wired to the charger.

What else does it do for all those $$$?

PatsVolt
01-15-2011, 03:23 PM
It looks like a big ripoff to me... Thanks for doing the review. I think I will stick to the Voltec charger for less money. I could go with either one as I have the appropriate 240V 40A circuit already available to me, but will install a subpanel and take advantage of the 40A's.

P

LGA
01-15-2011, 05:04 PM
The 40 amps won't help you for the Volt. Its max charge rate is 3300 watts (16 A @ 240 V). Also, you need to put the SPX Voltec unit on a 2-pole 20 A circuit breaker.

HPNpilot
01-15-2011, 05:41 PM
True. But I'm sure that, for many, installing a charging station capable of more current could be useful for future cars , be they PHEV or all electric. The Focus Electric , for example, apparently has a 6KW charger. If you're going to go to the expense of wiring and installing a charger, best to do it once and future proof it. Even if you choose to go with the Voltec charger for now, by making sure the wires are appropriate gauge and the panel has enough capacity, one could provide for a future charger upgrade without having to re-do everything. It could be done by swapping out the charger and the breaker.

jimcking
01-15-2011, 06:37 PM
FYI, I ordered one of these on Dec 3, 2010 right after reading Airton's post. Last email from EV-Charge America is that it will not be shipped until the end of January.

Jim K.

airton
01-19-2011, 10:23 AM
Hi everyone, sorry for the late reply.
My EV-Charge America EV2104 will not charge my Volt, the manufacturer is aware of this and they plan on shipping a replacement on 1/24/11. The unit does power up but it will not communicate with the car to commence charging. This EVSE is installed outside of my garage and I did purchase the Voltec unit for the inside of the garage. Let's give them another chance to get things right.

Airton

Skeezix
01-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Hello,
I have heard that the 120VAC charger takes approximately 11 hours to fully charge a depleted battery pack. In that time, one spends approximately 13.5 KW to put approximately 9.5 KW back into the battery. I assume the difference between the 9.5 and the 13.5 is due to inefficiencies and possibly some battery heating and cooling, or overhead if that term fits. I wonder what the 240 VAC charger can do to this overhead. If heating or cooling the battery while charging for 11 hours is the 120 VAC specification, I wonder what cutting back to 4 hours charging time for 220 VAC would do. Do any of you that have the 220 VAC charger have a number to describe this overhead?

Skeezix

dmastroluca
01-19-2011, 01:25 PM
(Buying from outside of our Market - DFW doesn't go on line with Volt Sales until about March or April)

It doesn't matter if you are in one of the roll out markets. I live in Vegas, purchased my Volt in Los Angeles. I called SPX and ordered my Voltec charger and they shipped it to my Las Vegas address. As long as you purchase a Volt, they will sell it to you.

airton
01-29-2011, 09:00 AM
http://207.99.69.140/volt/EVCA_Charging_2_Volts.jpg

My replacement EV2104 unit has shipped and is due to arrive here in NJ on Wednesday, I also received this nice email below from the company's president Bob Rosinski. I will keep you posted on the install and functionality of the new unit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear Airton,
Attached is a picture from a Southern California Dealership that has 2 of the first Volts in California that are both simultaneously charging from one of our commercial Dual Vehicle charging stations, demonstrating that our technology works well and is being deployed around the country, now in a big way.
I just wanted to personally thank you for waiting all this time for us to ship you a new unit and bearing with us for a much longer time than any of us anticipated.
Please return the first unit to us, we'll certainly pay you for the shipping, plus $50 for your trouble.
For being such a good sport and not going negative about us, if you ever plan a trip to Vegas, we'll make some Las Vegas style arrangements to show our gratitude to you.
Thanks again and let us know when the new unit gets to you and when you have it working.
<<...>>
Best regards,
Bob Rosinski
President
EV-Charge America
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

volt11
01-29-2011, 11:20 AM
http://207.99.69.140/volt/EVCA_Charging_2_Volts.jpg

My replacement EV2104 unit has shipped and is due to arrive here in NJ on Wednesday, I also received this nice email below from the company's president Bob Rosinski. I will keep you posted on the install and functionality of the new unit.

Dear Airton,
Attached is a picture from a Southern California Dealership that has 2 of the first Volts in California that are both simultaneously charging from one of our commercial Dual Vehicle charging stations, demonstrating that our technology works well and is being deployed around the country, now in a big way.
I just wanted to personally thank you for waiting all this time for us to ship you a new unit and bearing with us for a much longer time than any of us anticipated.
Please return the first unit to us, we'll certainly pay you for the shipping, plus $50 for your trouble.
For being such a good sport and not going negative about us, if you ever plan a trip to Vegas, we'll make some Las Vegas style arrangements to show our gratitude to you.
Thanks again and let us know when the new unit gets to you and when you have it working.
<<...>>
Best regards,
Bob Rosinski
President
EV-Charge America

That's really great, let us know if you get that Las Vegas treatment down the road!

Much better than what I took to be Coulomb's reaction to the 240V charger problems I've had (with GFCI being set), which was basically to point the finger at the Volt as the problem. Still haven't determined if they were correct, as more diagnosis is slated to occur this coming week. But my money is on the charger as the problem.

OTOH, SPX has already said that they will replace the charger under warranty if necessary, and not necessarily with another Coulomb.

Marc Lee
01-30-2011, 10:18 AM
I'm just trying to understand...is there some advantage to this charger over the Voltec? Looks like it sells for $160 more than the Voltec.

Jeff N
01-30-2011, 11:34 AM
I have heard that the 120VAC charger takes approximately 11 hours to fully charge a depleted battery pack. In that time, one spends approximately 13.5 KW to put approximately 9.5 KW back into the battery. I assume the difference between the 9.5 and the 13.5 is due to inefficiencies.....
Skeezix

GM has said they use approximately 65% of a 16 kWh battery in the Volt so that would work out to more like 10.4 kWh than 9.5. I haven't heard of anyone actually measuring the Watt hours drawn from the battery in an actual vehicle yet in order to verify that. Likewise, I have not yet seen carefully measured energy use when charging the Volt battery at 240V. The EPA reports 12.9 kWh for charging the battery but I don't know the details behind how that number was measured. I have measured around 13.5 kWh using a Watts Up meter at 120V myself a few times but not carefully enough to account for different variations like ambient temperature etc.

There is a Tesla owner that measured the overhead of charging at different amperage using 240V. He found that charging at around 40A was most efficient and that lower rates like 15-20A could be 10-20% less efficient. He assumed this was due to constant overhead from the charging system, battery cooling, etc being operated for longer periods of time at lower charging rates. Similar issues may apply to the Volt.

DarkStar
01-31-2011, 01:32 PM

Rusty
01-31-2011, 06:05 PM
Since the Volt only has a 2.2 KWh charger though, the Voltec is more than enough for the vehicle (about 9 amps maximum).

3.3KW and about 14 amps at 240V, but otherwise OK.

airton
02-04-2011, 11:47 AM
http://207.99.69.140/volt/DSCN0754web.jpg

I received my replacement EVSE from EV-Charge America (in bomb proof packaging this time) did the install and presto she works like a charm. I now have the Voltec charger in the garage and the EV2104 "Charge@Home" outside on the side of the house. We have two cars so I hope to replace our gas guzzler with a second EV within the next few years (hopefully something that can take advantage of the 30a service this unit offers). So far I have charged my Volt twice without and issues and I must say I like the RFID key authentication feature, just a quick pass of the RFID key (attached to my volt's key fob) in front of the unit and it's ready to charge. This just adds another layer of protection/security, I think this is a good thing being that the unit is outside.
This charger itself is powder coated steel construction (it's heavy and solid) the J1772 connector is plastic (like the Voltec unit) but has a metal latching system (unlike the Voltec) seems like it's built to last.

I believe this unit will offer the best bang for the buck out there right now.
Airton

DarkStar
02-04-2011, 03:57 PM

Noel Park
02-05-2011, 05:19 PM
airton,

Many thanks for this. I think it's the best option I've seen. I ordered one yesterday. I'll let you know how it goes.

HPNpilot
02-05-2011, 05:57 PM
Does this mean they've put real electronics in it now that delivers the required pilot signal?