: Open Source Level 2 EV charger $99 (kickstarter)

murdoc158
06-24-2013, 04:23 PM
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1076207974/emw-juicebox-an-open-source-level-2-ev-charging-st

Saw this on a tech blog I frequent and figured it might peak some interest here. For as little as $99 and some soldering knowledge you can charger at Level 2 levels. Nice for the DIY types that might want to try this out. I'll be keeping an eye on this project.

larry4pyro
06-24-2013, 04:38 PM
My Voltec L2 charger just died last month. I think I'll give this gadget a try. I bought the base unit and plan to reuse the Voltec hardware.

xx0505xx
06-24-2013, 05:14 PM
to be honest it doesn't seem like THAT great of a deal.

First of all you have to assemble all of the parts on your own unless you want to spend more and get a kit that's fully assembled, even then you are required to buy your own input and output connector cables which run typically about another $200.

In the end it's equivalent to spending the same amount of money as you would purchasing the lowest cost level 2 charger for around $500

Steverino
06-24-2013, 06:22 PM
OpenEVSE is well established, open source, and many tried and true customers (including me).

murdoc158
06-25-2013, 11:24 PM
OpenEVSE is well established, open source, and many tried and true customers (including me).

What are the benefits of OpenEVSE?

Steverino
06-26-2013, 12:01 AM
What are the benefits of OpenEVSE?

Essentially the same as this kickstarter, but no need for a kick start, they are up and running. Open source, you can buy components and build your own EVSE that is auto-switching from 120V to 240V.

http://code.google.com/p/open-evse/

FrayAdjacent
06-26-2013, 04:32 AM
I was going to end up posting this, but someone already did. Not having the cable and connector which apparently costs a couple hundred bucks...

I'd probably just get the Voltec when I get a Volt, and then if anything should fail, use the OpenEVSE documentation to rebuild it. I can definitely live without the control and logging stuff. I would just want to charge my car. ;)

Rifleman
06-26-2013, 07:16 AM
This project would be a great option for Rav4 EV owners who are looking for a reasonably priced unit that can deliver 240v @ 40 amps to their 10 kW Tesla charger. The cheapest commercial option is nearly $2,000, and you could potentially build one for under 500 with this kit. For those only needing 30 amp charging, the price difference between this and commercial units is much less.

Raymondjram
06-29-2013, 12:47 PM
I don't have a Volt or any EV or PHEV yet, but as an EE, I believe that this is a great project for my transportation future. There are no EVSEs for sale in Puerto Rico, so I pledged $239.00 for the Premium kit (I am pledge #64):

"Pledge $219 or more
Premium Kits. Delivery starts August on a first-serve - first come basis - get your pledge in early! Same components as our Base Kits (see detailed descriptions above) PLUS: (1) Color LCD Screen with charging info, total $ saved by driving electric, total energy consumed, etc. (2) Time of Day charging control - save money by charging at night without having to remember to plug in at midnight (3) Full GFI and output protection - recommended for outdoor & permanent installations (4) Larger enclosure with provisions for LCD screen, control buttons, USB programming connection, etc. Just add input and output cables (see Base Kit description for details).Basic electronics assembly and safety skills required. Pledge amount includes flat $20 shipping

Estimated delivery: Sep 2013."

I know that by September my Social Security pension comes in, and with that new income I will try to lease my first plug-in EV or hybrid (are your reading this GM?). I have a exterior under roof wall that is less than eight feet from my indoor service panel, and I only have to drill through six inches of concrete block, then pass a new pipe to wire the EVSE for 240 VAC up to 60 amps for any present or future EV. And I know this will add thousands of dollars as an improvement to the future house value when I decide to sell it.

If there are any DIY guys here, I expect them to enter and place a pledge for the Premium kit. Here is the web page again:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1076207974/emw-juicebox-an-open-source-level-2-ev-charging-st

MGJ
08-07-2013, 12:24 AM

I find openEVSE website extremely confusing. Emotorwerks site is much easier to understand because they explain everything in a nontechnical way. Plus emotorwerks offers fully assembled juicebox charging stations not just kits to build them. I didn't see that option on the openEVSE site.

Steverino
08-07-2013, 01:03 AM
I find openEVSE website extremely confusing. Emotorwerks site is much easier to understand because they explain everything in a nontechnical way. Plus emotorwerks offers fully assembled juicebox charging stations not just kits to build them. I didn't see that option on the openEVSE site.

Here's my finished EVSE using the OpenEVSE project. http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?25513-Voltec-240v-Conversion-to-OpenEVSE&p=617977#post617977

I also have color coded wiring diagrams on the first post, parts list, etc.

David Friedenberg
08-07-2013, 08:33 PM
If you have no L2 EVSE, then I would not buy the Voltec. JMHO. I've already replace the POS cord on mine. It was a good piece from an EBay guy for $200. Then the box broke couple of weeks ago. Under warranty Bosch sent me another. So far so good.

Had I known what I now know, I would have just bought Leveton or Clipper Creek.