: Message "Service High Voltage Charging System"

alfubig
06-07-2013, 08:55 PM
I got "Service High Voltage Charging System" last Monday while I drove about 10-15 miles in engine power mode. I could not charge my Volt after that message showed. After service, I was told it was caused by low coolant. Since that was the only problem they found. Not quite sure how it was related. Two days after I got the volt back, the same message showed up again after 20 mile drive in gas today. Does anyone have the same problem? They seems have no clue what causes it. Thanks.

Upper5Percent
06-07-2013, 10:46 PM
I got "Service High Voltage Charging System" last Monday while I drove about 10-15 miles in engine power mode. I could not charge my Volt after that message showed. After service, I was told it was caused by low coolant. Since that was the only problem they found. Not quite sure how it was related. Two days after I got the volt back, the same message showed up again after 20 mile drive in gas today. Does anyone have the same problem? They seems have no clue what causes it. Thanks.

Contact Onstar and get the codes

sinnombre
06-07-2013, 10:51 PM

I had the exact problem . Two days apart as well . The service rep said they replaced a coolant tank and later a small bracket that held it in place . The repairs took less than a few hours and no problems since .

Cord
06-07-2013, 11:31 PM
there is a coolant tank left of center in the very front under the hood -snap a picture and people can tell you if it is too low.

Mountie
06-08-2013, 12:01 AM
I wonder if you have a coolant leak and that keeps triggering the low coolant high voltage shut down?

Regards.
Mountie

alfubig
06-08-2013, 12:33 AM
They checked and no leak found. I am sending it back tomorrow and see if any other problem triggers it. I will talk to them about your comments tomorrow.
Thanks for replies.

caronjeff
06-08-2013, 08:53 AM
There is a sensor in the bottom of the tank with the anti-tamper bracket. If that becomes dry the signal triggers the message you have. Could be either a "burp" in the coolant system, low coolant, or a bad sensor.

Bzzzt
06-08-2013, 09:31 AM
This happened a lot when the older volts had the battery protection installed. If the air isn't purged from the battery cooling system, the air 'burps' out, and the level drops- triggering a low coolant sensor which shuts down the HV system. This is to protect the battery. As posted above, somewhere, you're either loosing battery coolant, air is burping out, or there is a fluke in the detection system. Your system may have just burped a second time..

alfubig
06-14-2013, 02:55 AM
Just got my Volt back after 5 days in the shop. It's coolant sensor. They replaced a new sensor and hopefully they fixed it this time.

Bzzzt
06-14-2013, 09:26 AM
That little sensors job? Protect the battery at all costs! Early Volts didn't have this sensor, and I believe at least one member here ended up with a cooked battery due to loss of coolant. I do believe GM covered that battery. I know it was inconvenient, but the possible alternative would be much more expensive. 5 days in the shop? I'm betting 4.75 of those days was waiting on the part to arrive.

alfubig
06-21-2013, 11:49 PM
The same message came up again 2 days ago and this time they will change the coolant tank next week. Hopefully this will fix the problem this time.

Nukem
07-01-2013, 02:15 PM
Did the coolant tank fix your problem?

c_dub
07-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Just took my brand new 2013 Volt with 900 miles in to the dealer on Sat for the same issue. They called me 4 hours later that day and said it was fixed. They also said the coolant was low. As soon as I got in to drive off I noticed the message was still being displayed. I immediately gave the keys back to the service advisor and got my loaner car back. Its still there (now monday afternoon) and no word. Let's how long it takes them to figure it out.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
07-02-2013, 11:37 AM
The same message came up again 2 days ago and this time they will change the coolant tank next week. Hopefully this will fix the problem this time.

Good Morning Alfubig,

I apologize that you had to go back to the dealership again. Have you contact your Dedicated Advisor regarding this? If you would like PM me the last 8 of your VIN and the best way to reach you, I will have them contact you.
Thank you,

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service

Chevrolet Customer Svc
07-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Just took my brand new 2013 Volt with 900 miles in to the dealer on Sat for the same issue. They called me 4 hours later that day and said it was fixed. They also said the coolant was low. As soon as I got in to drive off I noticed the message was still being displayed. I immediately gave the keys back to the service advisor and got my loaner car back. Its still there (now monday afternoon) and no word. Let's how long it takes them to figure it out.

Good Morning C-dub,

Sorry to hear that your having this concern with your Volt. I would like to get your Dedicated Advisor involved. They will be able to follow up with the dealership on the repair. If you could PM me your best contact method and the last 8 of your VIN, I will have them contact you.

Thank you,

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service

eHelmholtz
07-08-2013, 09:48 PM
I took my car in for service for the first time today after 11 months of trouble free driving. Over the weekend, I got a service alert which read, "Service High Voltage Charging System." Thanks to this thread, I looked at the coolant and saw that it was low; I didn't readily see any leaks. Anyway, I took the Volt in and the tech found these error codes P1E00, P1FFF Set in HPCM2. He topped off the battery coolant and checked for leaks but didn't find any so they suspect air trapped in the battery assembly. codes were cleared. The car is back and charging again. Apparently, a handful of Volts have come in to them with the same or similar problem.

shrink
07-20-2013, 02:09 AM
Ugh. This just happened to me. My car is a 2012 and is 14-1/2 months old and only has about 6100 miles.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7jlvvr14pfyes49/Photo%20Jul%2019%2C%201%2019%2022%20PM.jpg

Once I got the message, I drove about 20 miles straight to dealer. MPG was obnoxiously low:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lfl6d52mk9e5uns/Photo%20Jul%2019%2C%202%2041%2053%20PM.jpg

I was in fuel maintenance mode (not engine maintenance mode). I rarely use gas so the car was burining off the stale fuel.

Dealer said he would probably not get to it until Monday (this message came on a Friday).

Saint41
07-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Got my first Service High Voltage Charging message 4 days ago(10 months of driving the car with no problems). Took the car in to get it serviced and they found the coolant to be low. They replinished the coolant, cleared the codes and the car was back in my hands. 3 days later, the message is back. Took the car back to dealership, no volt tech on staff on saturdays but they did ran the scan for the codes and they said it was different from the first visit. They were going to get me a rental but I said I would take my car and return it first thing on monday AM.

Checked the coolant the tank is 3/4 full of coolant. No leaks on my garage floor. Maybe a burp is required.....

Keeping my fingers crossed that it is not too bad a fix....

My Volt advisor is aware.

shrink
07-21-2013, 11:27 PM
I got my car back yesterday. It was at the dealer for less than 24 hours. They did 2 things:

1) "N5896 Hybrid Powertrain Control Module 2 Reprogramming with SPS as per PI0732"
- I have no idea what this is, but they said it was some sort of software update.

2) Inspect and filled battery coolant container.

Hopefully the fix lasts. What is the recommended service regarding the battery coolant? If someone wants to save me a trip to owner's manual, that would be appreciated :-) I'm perfectly capable, of course, and will look it up later.

shrink
07-22-2013, 01:50 AM
From the 2012 manual page 10-15:

What to Use

The high voltage battery coolant reservoir in the vehicle is filled with a 50/50 mixture of DEX-COOL engine coolant and deionized water. If using this mixture, nothing else needs to be added.

The high voltage battery coolant reservoir is located on the passenger side of the engine compartment. See Engine Compartment Overview on page 10‑8 for more information on location.

Check to see if coolant is visible in the high voltage battery coolant reservoir. If coolant is visible but the coolant level is below the cold fill line, there could be a leak in the cooling system.

The high voltage battery coolant should only be serviced by a qualified technician.

Cord
07-22-2013, 03:51 AM
but it is OK to open the hood and take a picture and post of the fluid level.

electronate
07-27-2013, 11:03 AM
I had the message twice now. First time dealer drained and refilled the coolant. Second time I Havnt had it looked at. However it will charge in Mountain mode. Half charged the battery. Im thinking it a sensor or something electronically.

Saint41
07-27-2013, 06:08 PM
I have had the car back now for 4 days and no issues. They ended up reprogramming the computer as per GM's tech line. So the car is back to a learning stage. Hopefully a few more runs with the battery and my levels will be back to where they were before the problems.

FireWire
11-17-2014, 10:03 PM
My 2013 w/ 22k miles finally did the same thing. Fixed rather quickly with a coolant top off and reset of trouble codes. Only downside was that mine occurred on a Thursday and the dealer couldn't get me in until the following Monday at noon. It's my daily driver so almost 5 days of gas only killed my mpg.

Steverino
11-17-2014, 11:56 PM
My 2013 w/ 22k miles finally did the same thing. Fixed rather quickly with a coolant top off and reset of trouble codes. Only downside was that mine occurred on a Thursday and the dealer couldn't get me in until the following Monday at noon. It's my daily driver so almost 5 days of gas only killed my mpg.

This is a totally preventable issue. But it requires popping the hood and looking at the fluid levels. If low either top off or take to the dealer so you can avoid this issue.

rkochman
11-20-2014, 05:10 PM
I got the same message, looked it up on-line and figured I had low coolant too. Popped the hood and to my surprise it wasn't low. Took It to my dealer and discovered it was a faulty coolant level sensor. Apparently this is not an uncommon occurrence.