: Center stack says "Navigation Initializing" message, and wont go away. (video)

Toasty
03-21-2013, 10:34 PM
http://atlanta-cars.info/1/volt2013/nav-int.jpg

http://youtu.be/5kJCvMqp4N4 (video)

Today more issues with my center stack, Today it said "Navigation Initializing",
I can't press anything on the screen, Volume up/down works, and i can press climate (and a few other buttons).
But the "Navigation Initializing" message stayed this way until i turn the car off.
Stayed this way for my entire 30min drive today.

This has happened a few times this week. But today was the first time i was able to take video of it happening.
Sometimes my centerstack just reboots (cuts off, goes to black, then shows the start up volt logo).

Is this normal?
When i call onstar, there only advice is turn the car off, wait 5mins and turn it back on. (seriously?)

2013 Model, 6,6xx miles, Mylink w Nav. No usb device connected, no bluetooth device connected.

Previously, I get messages such as these (for the entire drive)..

http://atlanta-cars.info/1/volt2013/radio1.jpg

http://atlanta-cars.info/1/volt2013/radio2.jpg

DonC
03-22-2013, 03:06 AM
Of course it's not normal. You have had so many weird things go wrong with your car I'm thinking you must live in the Bermuda Triangle for Volts. I'd disconnect the 12v battery just to see if that would shock the whole stack back to health. If that didn't work I'd take it to the dealer -- preferably with something like this active -- and tell them to replace the center stack or whatever they need to do.

Joule
03-22-2013, 04:31 AM
Mine's a 2013 too equipped with glitchy nav. Mine did the initializing-forever thing today also when i was on my way home (I always use the nav so I get a countdown of remaining miles). I started the Volt, and pressed Destination and then an error message flashed too quickly for me to get the whole thing but it said something like "can not connect to server (or maybe host?)"- which was strange. Then it said Navigation initializing for the rest of the trip. I could turn the radio on and off and that didn't fix it. I could switch to climate and to the energy screens no problem- but the radio and nav disply was frozen on that first screen shot you showed. It happens to be that today my XM trial ended, so I just figured that maybe it was just trying to hail the traffic channel and failed.

I had this happen at least once before (I don't remember if it flashed the error though) and that time it resolved itself then after I parked the car and came back to it. I don't think you need to disconnect the battery. Just shut it down and go away from it for a while, taking the keys with you. It will probably "unhang" itself on the next cold start and you might need to acknowledge the disclaimer when it comes back on again.

... just went out to the garage and checked- I started the car and pressed destination, it said Navigation intiializing then went to the destination screen-- back to normal. Yours will probably do the same.... I don't see any reason to go to a dealer with these nav bugs because it's not easy to reproduce the errror. I accepted that the nav is glitchy long ago and find that it is a minor annoyance and hangs infrequently enough that it's not worth the hassle of trying to get it fixed.

EDIT: Just read your post more thorougly... if it's haunted beyond the nav initializing issue, like Don said- maybe a 12V disconnect and reconnect might end the whole tantrum you're experiencing with the stack. I haven't experienced the other issue you described (turn radio on screen).

cadillackid
03-22-2013, 08:06 AM
I havent had the nav thing happen to mine yet.. mine is a VERY recently built car.. (early feb)..maybe we should compare software versions.. perhaps there is an update to the center stack software...

I have had though a couples times using iPOD mode (plugged into USB).. where on resume it will display the title of the previously played track while the next track plays... does that until the next track advances.. or unless I manually change tracks..

I also had it take an extra minute or so for the center stack to come to life the other day.. stayed blank.. but it came on by itself..
its a new system.. gotta get the quirks out of it.
-Christopher

Chevrolet Customer Svc
03-22-2013, 09:59 AM
Toasty,

After your Volt was fully powered down did you still experience this on the next start up?
I would inform your Advisor and with these pictures your service department can work with the Technical Team to diagnose your Volt.

-Ian Chevrolet Volt Customer Service

Toasty
03-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Toasty,

After your Volt was fully powered down did you still experience this on the next start up?
I would inform your Advisor and with these pictures your service department can work with the Technical Team to diagnose your Volt.

I did not experience this on next start up, but i did experience center stack rebooted twice while driving and other issues today (about 3 or 4 start ups later).

Now it won't let me select 12amp charge setting. (with 120v charger).

video: http://youtu.be/SMB1msEqSAU

http://atlanta-cars.info/1/volt2013/charge12amp.jpg

Joule
03-23-2013, 04:06 PM
@Toasty when your "initializing" screen was stuck on forever did you by any chance notice if the backup camera was working properly?

When I had the same screen stuck and was backing into my garage my rear camera display would only stay on for about 5 seconds then go back to the intializing screen even though it was still in reverse. Of course it's back to normal now, so who knows what triggered it.

Sounds like you have bigger issues with your stack than just the navigation software glitches since there are so many of them. I don't remember ever seeing the charge level button grayed out like that. Maybe it's haunted. Have you tried saging (http://www.kajama.com/index.php?file=articledetail&id=D3AE5B51-16C8-434F-85A6-84ABDF063691&PageNum=1)?

Davem9586
03-23-2013, 07:00 PM
I think GM has screwed this up big time. Wife's 2013 Buick LaCrosse has Nav and I hate that Nav iniltilizing screen. Hers hasn't locked on yet but there is no reason this can't be done in the background freeing up the screen for other functions. The Volt screen is more important than Buick as you don't use it like we do on the volt. Another thing I noticed is while Nav is doing its thing ang shift into reverse backup screen comes on and Nav iniltilizing stops till shifted in drive and then continues. Another bug in my opinion. They need to work on this big time.

PowerTrip
03-23-2013, 08:35 PM
I also had it take an extra minute or so for the center stack to come to life the other day.. stayed blank.. but it came on by itself.. its a new system.. gotta get the quirks out of it.
I disagree. Not on my dime. Being a "Beta tester" is not something for which you pay $44,000.

NoRegrets78
03-24-2013, 08:26 AM
I disagree. Not on my dime. Being a "Beta tester" is not something for which you pay $44,000.

Amen.

I just got my Volt back after being at the dealer for 7 days to fix software bugs and they still aren't all fixed. GM totally dropped the ball making the changes they did on the 2013 and not sufficiently testing it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

Toasty
03-25-2013, 04:54 PM
Amen.
I just got my Volt back after being at the dealer for 7 days to fix software bugs and they still aren't all fixed. GM totally dropped the ball making the changes they did on the 2013 and not sufficiently testing it.

i agree. +1

Toasty
03-26-2013, 10:38 AM
i sent the pics/video to my volt advisor (few days ago), and typical, i get no response.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
03-26-2013, 12:59 PM
i sent the pics/video to my volt advisor (few days ago), and typical, i get no response.

Toasty,

I spoken with your Advisor and she informed me that has passed the pictures and video along to the proper department. She should be in contact with you in the near future.

Toasty
03-26-2013, 02:09 PM
Toasty,

I spoken with your Advisor and she informed me that has passed the pictures and video along to the proper department. She should be in contact with you in the near future.

Thank you Ian.

reganscott
08-10-2013, 06:43 PM
My 2013 is doing the same thing. Intermittent. Every couple of weeks the navigation initializing message comes on, and wont initialize. Turn the car off and on, message stuck and no GPS
Wait untill next day, everything works fine again, but cant rely on GPS on road trips, have to take my Garmin.
Has anyone been successful at getting this resolved?

Upper5Percent
08-10-2013, 06:51 PM
My 2013 is doing the same thing. Intermittent. Every couple of weeks the navigation initializing message comes on, and wont initialize. Turn the car off and on, message stuck and no GPS
Wait untill next day, everything works fine again, but cant rely on GPS on road trips, have to take my Garmin.

Have you contacted Onstar for any codes?
Have you contacted your Volt advisor?
Have you spoken to your dealership?

reganscott
08-10-2013, 07:00 PM

reganscott
08-10-2013, 07:02 PM
No, i have never seen any error code, next time it occurs I will call onstar