: Key FOB question

jljeeper
03-14-2013, 09:58 PM
The dealer could not answer my question. I am paranoid about being somewhere far away and losing my FOB. All my other cars have a hide-a-key. Now can I get a physical key copy of the one in the FOB and use it to start the car? or do I have to have an entire FOB? I know about the hidden key slot in the dash and the one in the driver door and I know I can have on-star open my doors. I want to know if I can hide a copy of the metal key portion of the FOB in or outside of the car and use it to drive the car.

Thanks to anyone with this knowledge

Jon

Steverino
03-14-2013, 10:47 PM
Take the battery out of your spare and give it a try.

JetPIC
03-14-2013, 10:55 PM
The dealer could not answer my question. I am paranoid about being somewhere far away and losing my FOB. All my other cars have a hide-a-key. Now can I get a physical key copy of the one in the FOB and use it to start the car? or do I have to have an entire FOB? I know about the hidden key slot in the dash and the one in the driver door and I know I can have on-star open my doors. I want to know if I can hide a copy of the metal key portion of the FOB in or outside of the car and use it to drive the car.

Thanks to anyone with this knowledge

Jon

Most modern cars won't start without the correct immobilizer chip from an original key. It's an anti-theft measure. You can't just copy the blade of the key and have it work. Original, programmed key, or nothing. Just keep track of it along with your house key, and don't worry about hiding one on the car.

Oh, and it's 'fob', not FOB. No need to shout it, and it's not an acronym. A 'key fob' is a medallion used to identify a key ring. The word has taken on a new meaning with respect to cars since the fob became integrated with the key in many cars, and now the fob pretty much *is* the key.

jljeeper
03-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Why didn't I think of that? I guess the other question the dealer couldn't answer is...does the bare key have a chip in it?
At any rate I can hide a battery-less FOB somewhere in the car as a backup and either have a hide-a-key or use On-Star to open my door.

Thanks
Jon

TSquare
03-14-2013, 11:36 PM
Why didn't I think of that? I guess the other question the dealer couldn't answer is...does the bare key have a chip in it?
At any rate I can hide a battery-less FOB somewhere in the car as a backup and either have a hide-a-key or use On-Star to open my door.

Thanks
Jon

There is no chip in the metal key. No need for it. The only thing the metal key will do is open the driver's door. There is no ignition switch that accepts the metal key, you MUST have the fob in order to start the car. FYI, the fob does not have to have a battery in it. Onstar can unlock the doors, but you must have a fob to start the car and drive it.

jljeeper
03-15-2013, 12:19 AM
There is no chip in the metal key. No need for it. The only thing the metal key will do is open the driver's door. There is no ignition switch that accepts the metal key, you MUST have the fob in order to start the car. FYI, the fob does not have to have a battery in it. Onstar can unlock the doors, but you must have a fob to start the car and drive it.

There is a hidden key slot under the dash tray that the manual says you need to put your key in if the battery in the FOB dies. Also for programming other FOBs. A wondered if this was activated by the key itself and not the FOB or it needed to be there for the chip to read - are you familiar with the key slot inside?

TSquare
03-15-2013, 12:25 AM
There is a hidden key slot under the dash tray that the manual says you need to put your key in if the battery in the FOB dies. Also for programming other FOBs. A wondered if this was activated by the key itself and not the FOB or it needed to be there for the chip to read - are you familiar with the key slot inside?

The "key slot" under the dash tray is just a hole for the metal key so that the fob is positioned perfectly for the receiver. It needs to be very close so that the receiver can read it even if the battery in the fob is dead, or missing.

jljeeper
03-15-2013, 12:30 AM
Most modern cars won't start without the correct immobilizer chip from an original key. It's an anti-theft measure. You can't just copy the blade of the key and have it work. Original, programmed key, or nothing. Just keep track of it along with your house key, and don't worry about hiding one on the car.

Oh, and it's 'fob', not FOB. No need to shout it, and it's not an acronym. A 'key fob' is a medallion used to identify a key ring. The word has taken on a new meaning with respect to cars since the fob became integrated with the key in many cars, and now the fob pretty much *is* the key.

OK please clarify (immobilizer chip) can I purchase a key with this chip much like other chipped keys? The reason I'm asking is because the manual says you can place the blade of the key fob into a hole on the dash that will allow you to start the car if the fob battery dies. I find in life if you don't prepare for disaster it will happen and in life "stuff" happens. I've only lost keys twice in my 53 years of life but I'm usually prepared if I do. I already know I have the option of keeping track of my keys and not worrying about it :)

jljeeper
03-15-2013, 12:32 AM
The "key slot" under the dash tray is just a hole for the metal key so that the fob is positioned perfectly for the receiver. It needs to be very close so that the receiver can read it even if the battery in the fob is dead, or missing.

Ok I get it - that make sense

Thank you

Cord
03-15-2013, 01:50 AM
1. you need the fob to start the car BUT you do NOT need a battery in the fob to start the car if you put it in the tray-slot.

2. This way you should not get the fob detected message if you hide a key.

I have tried 1 but not 2.

TSquare
03-15-2013, 02:36 AM
1. you need the fob to start the car BUT you do NOT need a battery in the fob to start the car if you put it in the tray-slot.

2. This way you should not get the fob detected message if you hide a key.

I have tried 1 but not 2.

Just don't hide the spare in the dash tray.

Volusiano
03-15-2013, 03:00 AM
So after reading all this, is it recommended to do the following?

1. Take the battery out of the spare fob.
2. Hide the spare fob inside the car somewhere (where it's not obvious), and the battery somewhere separately.
3. If you lose you main key, unlock the car with remote unlock, then put the battery into the spare fob and off you go.

If you don't want to pay for Onstar after 3 years, or don't trust that Onstar will work out in the middle of nowhere without cell signal, then put the battery-less spare fob outside the car somewhere in step 2. Then step 3 would be to retrieve the hidden spare to unlock the door and insert the battery in the spare fob and off you go.

Or if you don't want to hide the spare fob outside the car, make a copy of the metal key and hide that outside the car. Then use it to unlock the door to get in to retrieve the spare fob and put the battery in.

Also, remember that hiding the spare fob "inside" the car also extends to hiding it anywhere under the hood, because you can just pop up the hood once you get the door open. So there can be a lot more good hiding places under the hood as well compared to just inside the car.

I suppose you can leave the spare fob at home and have someone retrieve it and bring to you, which is what most people do. But come to think of it, why not just hide the spare fob inside the car which is more readily accessible than leaving it at home? It's a lot more useful being with the car than sitting at home.

The remaining question I have is how easy is it to make a copy of the metal key to unlock the door? Can Home Depot or Lowe's do it for you?

TSquare
03-15-2013, 03:04 AM
So after reading all this, is it recommended to do the following?

1. Take the battery out of the spare fob.
2. Hide the spare fob inside the car somewhere (where it's not obvious), and the battery somewhere separately.
3. If you lose you main key, unlock the car with remote unlock, then put the battery into the spare fob and off you go.

If you don't want to pay for Onstar after 3 years, then put the battery-less spare fob outside the car somewhere in step 2. Then step 3 would be to retrieve the hidden spare to unlock the door and insert the battery in the spare fob and off you go. If you don't have the battery to put into the spare fob, you can still position it in the storage tray and off you go.

You don't need a battery for the fob. Without a battery though, it will have to sit in the dash tray for the car to read it.

Volusiano
03-15-2013, 03:18 AM
You don't need a battery for the fob. Without a battery though, it will have to sit in the dash tray for the car to read it.Right, which is why it's nice to leave a battery somewhere in the car accessible so you can put it into the spare fob so it's fully functional. Why not, if you're already planning all this out ahead of time? After all, they've made it so easy to put the battery in and out. You don't even need a tool, just flip the key out and grab the plastic and pull out the battery cover to access the battery.

Volusiano
03-15-2013, 03:50 AM
I also have hide-a-keys for all my cars although I never had to use any of them. But last year I gave one of my older cars to my daughter who left home to go work in another state.

Guess what? She managed to lock herself out and the hide-a-key saved her butt. And guess what? When I visited her, she said "Dad, I have a confession to make. I got locked out a few more times after that first time. Don't know what I would have done if it weren't for your hide-a-key, LOL".

Well, well. Even though I never had to use it, at least somebody dear to me got to make use of it after all these years. It's a good idea to be prepared after all.

jljeeper
03-15-2013, 10:01 AM
Thanks to you all for the great information. spare fob with spare battery sounds great to me. I should mention that somewhere here on a fob related post I read that you can get these fobs for around $40. I hope that's true, I'' follow up on that.

other post
"Thanks guys . They sure seem to be the same. Anyone wanting a 3rd FOB can get one for $38 plus shipping from GMparts direct (use the part #). It cost about $24 to laser cut the key. I have a local GM dealer that has the laser machine. Due to the cost of these machines they are not easily found at your local locksmith or Home Depot. If you go to a dealer plan to spend upwards or $250 for the same thing" http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?8942-key-fob

stilcrazee
03-15-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks to you all for the great information. spare fob with spare battery sounds great to me. I should mention that somewhere here on a fob related post I read that you can get these fobs for around $40. I hope that's true, I'' follow up on that.

other post
"Thanks guys . They sure seem to be the same. Anyone wanting a 3rd FOB can get one for $38 plus shipping from GMparts direct (use the part #). It cost about $24 to laser cut the key. I have a local GM dealer that has the laser machine. Due to the cost of these machines they are not easily found at your local locksmith or Home Depot. If you go to a dealer plan to spend upwards or $250 for the same thing" http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?8942-key-fob

The part number on my fob is 22755323 and gmpartsdirect shows it at $43.86, with shipping is $56.81. If the dealer is charging suggested retail then you save $18.63 for the fob only, no cutting included (prices and info per gmpartsdirect web site).

If it were me, I'd for sure get the metal key blade and have it cut and hide it outside the car using a velcro/self stick hide a key somewhere under the front end. I'd also buy and have cut a fob, program it and keep it inside the car with the battery removed and the battery elsewhere in the car.

My reasoning is, if your battery on the car goes dead OnStar can't unlock it you still can with the key. By the way, the door lock cylinder should be lubricated and used a few times per year to make sure it doesn't seize up and be inop when you do need it..please trust me on that. If I had/have lost my fob and had to call OnStar to get in I now have a programmed and operating fob to start the car and replace my lost fob.

JMO

silvercorvette
03-15-2013, 01:36 PM
In the past I often lost keys till about 10 or 15 years ago I started wearing the key on a chain around my neck. keep it around your neck, you will never have to remove to to start the car.

trm2
03-15-2013, 02:04 PM
I find it to be extremely difficult to loose the key/fob. I never have to take it out of my pocket, and I keep track of the pants I'm wearing pretty darn well.

jljeeper
03-15-2013, 03:55 PM
I find it to be extremely difficult to loose the key/fob. I never have to take it out of my pocket, and I keep track of the pants I'm wearing pretty darn well.

Do you take you fob swimming? I remember being at several water parks where all the lockers were taken and all we had was a back pack we had to watch like a hawk (wallets and keys) Camping/hiking is another place that is unpredictable and having it in your pocket would be risky. The fob is usually in my pocket most of the year but there are times when that isn't possible. You may hand the keys to the wife or kids to retrieve something from the car and you would not have control of the fob at that point.

brantwalsh
03-25-2013, 02:55 PM

Same here, although my pants (and fob) went through the washing machine twice already!

brantwalsh
03-25-2013, 02:58 PM
Oh, and the first time, Rice for a week (plus packets of dessicant gel beads from work) did nothing.. well, it works (sometimes) for starting the car, but the buttons all make the windows roll down, and it gets stuck that way (not physically) - so that each time you turn the car off, the windows promptly roll down if that fob is anywhere near.

The second fob that got washed, I stuck it in the oven on the "keep warm" setting (about 180F) for an hour or so.. works perfectly!

stilcrazee
03-25-2013, 03:53 PM

I don't remember exactly who said it first or even when it was first quoted but "Sheet Happens".