: Air Car Test Drive by Edmunds

Stomps
08-04-2009, 03:43 PM
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drives/FirstDrives/articleId=151246?tid=edmunds.il.home.photopanel..2 .*

Still skeptical but nice to see one actually up and running.

Stomps

DaV8or
08-04-2009, 04:19 PM
Uh-Oh! The Segway car/scooter thing has competition in the world's nerdiest and silliest transport category. No mention of the infrastructure plans to support this thing other than the factory has a pump. Got to hand it to Edmunds, they did the best they could to give it a positive spin, but still got the point across: POS.:rolleyes:

misslexi
08-04-2009, 06:08 PM
Unfortunately compressing air to 3000 or 4400 psi is not cheap to do in any sort of quantity. Search eBay for commercial paintball or scuba compressors (scuba has additional breathable air requirements). We're talking big bucks. Which means we're back to buying air from the Airon instead of gas from Chevron.

Not saying it's a bad idea, at least for now air is free even though compressing it to such high pressure is not. It doesn't offer the rugged individualist an opportunity to make his/her own go-juice.

Cute car though :)

Innovator
08-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Can we safely assume that "MDI estimates the AIRPod's range at between 90 and 125 miles." is using the future 4400 psi tanks?

Did you know that the Tesla sports car can theoretically go over 350 miles if restricted to speeds below 30mph?

Still, this air tank must weigh a lot less than Tesla's 900lb battery so it is a lot more attractive than I would have thought.

Jason M. Hendler
08-22-2009, 09:17 PM
If battery prices stay high, and emissions standards demand ZEV's, then air cars might grab the low end of the market through fleet sales.

Texas
08-23-2009, 12:39 AM
If battery prices stay high, and emissions standards demand ZEV's, then air cars might grab the low end of the market through fleet sales.

Hang in there Jason. ;) As for my feelings:

AirCar: RIP

http://www.yosax.com/wp-content/uploads/mdi-air-pod.jpg

Altazi
08-23-2009, 03:08 AM
That air car has to be the stupidest looking thing I have ever seen. It re-defines "ugly". Too bad - if it was nice looking I could use it as a hood ornament on my F350.