: 2012 unofficial hold mode mod

brianbri6
12-04-2016, 10:16 AM
I have stumbled upon a hold/ recharge type mode on MY2012 Volt. I been playing with the diagnostics of the Volt and figured out how to force start the engine in CS/ Recharge mode via computer and MDI module. I have been using this mode the past few days on my long hr+ highway trips. So far it does seem it is holding charge but while stopped/parked engine runs at idle, charges battery, and does not turn off automatically as it does in CS mode. I am looking to possibly have a developer make an app on android and use the Obdlink MX adapter to send the commands manually. This is just a proof of concept until I can reverse engineer the OBD2 commands to start engine through bluetooth instead of PC.

Here's proof

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wOi2aAnsMc&feature=youtu.be
https://youtu.be/8wOi2aAnsMc

canehdian
12-04-2016, 11:04 AM
Good detective work!

That sounds like a hybrid between hold and mountain such that it keeps running at idle.
It might be that elusive 'hold+recharge' mode that people have been asking for.

If you have access to a 2013+, you could log the CAN bus while switching to hold and see what kind of differences there are between your method and the GM-programmed method.

colchiro
12-04-2016, 11:40 AM
Must be a late model '12 since my '12 doesn't have the center console screen (My Link?) shown in the video.

Still, if it works for my '12, I'm all for it. Congrats.

FirstFlight
12-04-2016, 11:46 AM
I am looking to possibly have a developer make an app on android and use the Obdlink MX adapter to send the commands manually. This is just a proof of concept until I can reverse engineer the OBD2 commands to start engine through bluetooth instead of PC.I can do this as we may be wanting to do something similar. I design IOS and Android apps (not my primary job) and have done a lot of CAN work on the Prius. I don't use bluetooth but do use wifi for all of my connections between the smart phones and the device installed inside the car. No access to a Gen 1 Volt though.

kns
12-04-2016, 01:33 PM
I see in the photo that AER with a full battery is 26 miles and that the current trip of 0.6 miles used 1.6kw-hrs and 0.17 gallons for 3.5mpg. How should those numbers be interpreted?

KNS

brianbri6
12-04-2016, 05:10 PM
I see in the photo that AER with a full battery is 26 miles and that the current trip of 0.6 miles used 1.6kw-hrs and 0.17 gallons for 3.5mpg. How should those numbers be interpreted?

KNS

1.6kw was used for the heater while in park and charging lvl2. I used .17 gallons turning the engine on and off hitting the accelerator to see of it ramps up charging output ect. I only went down the street to make the video I would not rely on any of these numbers on the charge screen.

I am leaving to do a hr drive soon and I will be enabling the motor on a full charge and see how it goes and take a pic again of the center stack.

Also it is a 2012 not a late 2012 I added the mylink swapping head units.

rmay635703
12-04-2016, 06:06 PM
Tire pressure low 17psi

colchiro
12-04-2016, 06:55 PM
TBH, I'd rather have a physical switch. I often have an OBD device plugged in and it's not a good idea to have multiple devices connected.

brianbri6
12-04-2016, 07:13 PM
I accidentally left the heater on at the gas station filling up used .5kw on heat. The kw counter goes up .1 everytime I stop and restart the engine. There was some kw usage on the highway I've yet to pinpoint why, probably due to heavy load (lead foot). When I turned the motor off still had full charge.

ampera_jed
12-05-2016, 07:42 AM
Does the engine run at a steady speed, or vary when driving, and/or vary when sitting still and depressing the pedal?

brianbri6
12-05-2016, 11:54 AM
Does the engine run at a steady speed, or vary when driving, and/or vary when sitting still and depressing the pedal?

the engine varies in RPM while driving depending on load, once you start slowing down or come to a stop it goes to idle, and it varies while parked hitting the pedal.

ampera_jed
12-05-2016, 01:57 PM
Sounds like you've somehow triggered the maintenance mode with the hood closed.

Kung-Foo-Kamel
12-06-2016, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=brianbri6;3744177]I have stumbled upon a hold/ recharge type mode on MY2012 Volt. I been playing with the diagnostics of the Volt and figured out how to force start the engine in CS/ Recharge mode via computer and MDI module. I have been using this mode the past few days on my long hr+ highway trips. So far it does seem it is holding charge but while stopped/parked engine runs at idle, charges battery, and does not turn off automatically as it does in CS mode. I am looking to possibly have a developer make an app on android and use the Obdlink MX adapter to send the commands manually. This is just a proof of concept until I can reverse engineer the OBD2 commands to start engine through bluetooth instead of PC.

What software and OBD interface did you use, I have been through everything with my HPTUNERS setup and I can't simulate this at all.

brianbri6
12-12-2016, 09:44 AM
[QUOTE=brianbri6;3744177]I have stumbled upon a hold/ recharge type mode on MY2012 Volt. I been playing with the diagnostics of the Volt and figured out how to force start the engine in CS/ Recharge mode via computer and MDI module. I have been using this mode the past few days on my long hr+ highway trips. So far it does seem it is holding charge but while stopped/parked engine runs at idle, charges battery, and does not turn off automatically as it does in CS mode. I am looking to possibly have a developer make an app on android and use the Obdlink MX adapter to send the commands manually. This is just a proof of concept until I can reverse engineer the OBD2 commands to start engine through bluetooth instead of PC.

What software and OBD interface did you use, I have been through everything with my HPTUNERS setup and I can't simulate this at all.

I used a GM MDI and GDS2 software. Now I am working on capturing the messages that controls the module to turn on and off the engine. Also you can force the engine not to turn on even if the battery range goes to 0 and switches over to gas icon on the dash. I did this last night, I got reduced propulsion message on the dash, and the car crawled to a stop once it depleted the buffer. Once I released control the engine turned on and was racing to build back the buffer. Hard lower SOC limit is 15%.

EvertonP
12-13-2016, 12:02 PM
This is cool. Can't wait to see where it goes!

ampera_jed
12-13-2016, 02:37 PM
Can you set it so that, on demand, you can make the engine just run continually at its quietest set point (I think it is 1700rpm??) and generate a steady constant stream of power?

I would pay for that!

brianbri6
12-14-2016, 08:06 PM
Can you set it so that, on demand, you can make the engine just run continually at its quietest set point (I think it is 1700rpm??) and generate a steady constant stream of power?

I would pay for that!

This mode almost does just that. it turns on the engine regardless of SOC, charges battery while not under load at low RPM. Engine ramps up as you hit the accelerator driving or parked. It does produce power until it hits the upper SOC limit of the battery which is 88%. What I do not know is if it can charge a depleted battery to fully charged. I just finished getting this to work on android today I am still testing obd2 timing, initialization, and keep alive messages.

ampera_jed
12-15-2016, 07:54 AM
Sounds more like HOLD.

What I am after is a mode where it runs at its lowest set point so that, for example, on a long run the engine will deliver a bit of the traction power and the battery delivers a bit, and so the battery depletes but at a slower rate.

This would be the most efficient way of operating the engine on a long run. it's also be the quietest.

I don't really get why GM engineers didn't make this mode available.

colchiro
12-22-2016, 07:13 PM
Any updates?

brianbri6
12-25-2016, 09:45 AM
Yes there is updates on this I am just not as active on the forums vs fb Volt group. Here is the link https://m.facebook.com/groups/188685284477438?view=permalink&id=1364357466910208

brianbri6
01-09-2017, 09:48 PM
I am still testing Hold mode from an app I made. Screen shot of the hold mode app which I will be releasing next month in Feb as a beta on the play store.

wordptom
01-10-2017, 06:08 PM
Does your app’s ability to recharge the battery via the ICE account for the glitch in the 2011/2012 Volt’s programming that counts distances driven on Mountain Mode-recharged power as Electric Miles, not as Gas Miles? I note, too, the kWh Used number on 2012 and later Volts represents net grid power consumption, so driving a 2012 Volt on MM-recharged power increases electric miles without increasing kWh Used (the number does not change until you return to using grid power).

Most people don’t use MM just to recharge the battery without plugging into the grid, so the glitch doesn’t have a large impact on most 2011/2012 Volts’ statistics. Most electric and gas miles are properly recorded, producing accurate lifetime total miles / total ev miles breakdowns, ev%, and MPGcs numbers.

If your app enables 2011/2012 Volt owners to recharge the battery via the ICE without accounting for this "MM glitch," will they see their lifetime MPGcs drop significantly and their ev% go up (by counting gas miles as electric miles)? Will 2012 owners be able to recharge via your app and then drive electric miles without any change to the kWh Used number?

longflare
01-10-2017, 07:54 PM
this might benefit owners of later models too, as it is a significantly different operation profile.
I'd like to try it on my late 2012

NYvolt21
02-02-2017, 05:48 AM
OP - TAKE MY MONEY!!! when are you putting it up in the android app store? I'm holding my breath here :) This would be super useful here up north for those of us with 2012s and below.

rmay635703
02-02-2017, 09:10 AM
What you are describing sounds like the very cold battery frozen behavior.

Car sounds like a pure cvt car in the battery not available mode.

Key is to log long term gas mpg in this mode, when I have encountered it you have very poor city mpgs.

colchiro
02-03-2017, 05:18 PM
Brian's still working out the little details.

brianbri6
02-15-2017, 03:32 PM
I made MyVoltHold app open to anyone who wants to be a Alpha tester here is the link. It is still a bit buggy but I am working on not using OBD requests and monitor the bus which will lead to app being soley reliant on OBDlink hardware. Elm327 just does not have enough features or is fast enough. Use scantool.net OBDlink MX for full compatibility.

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.thunkable.android.myvoltapp.MyVoltHold

ampera_jed
02-15-2017, 03:38 PM
What does it actually do (both how it works, and what functionality)?

brianbri6
02-15-2017, 03:45 PM
It controls engine ecu with ecu control commands. It reads the values by sending pid requests and controls engine ecu with a different set of commands. App is going back and fourth reading and sending. All it does it command engine on or off regardless of what drive mode you have the Volt in.

NYvolt21
02-18-2017, 09:35 AM
I just finished trying the app twice, and it works!!!!, Thank you Brianbri6, you just added a much needed feature to our 2012 volts. I used it to heat up the cabin and was able to turn it back off. I like that it displays the true SOC. When I first turned the engine on the SOC was already full 85% it kept adding a bit for a few minutes until it got to 86 and some change, then I got a pipe error on the app and engine turned back of. Tried it again at 70% SOC and worked perfectly, it bought the SOC to 74 driving a few miles locally. I will buy the suggested obd reader, I used a cheap $10 elm327 from Amazon I had laying around. Again, thank you, you are THE MAN.

wordptom
02-18-2017, 02:43 PM
I just finished trying the app twice, and it works!!!!, Thank you Brianbri6, you just added a much needed feature to our 2012 volts. I used it to heat up the cabin and was able to turn it back off. I like that it displays the true SOC. When I first turned the engine on the SOC was already full 85% it kept adding a bit for a few minutes until it got to 86 and some change, then I got a pipe error on the app and engine turned back of. Tried it again at 70% SOC and worked perfectly, it bought the SOC to 74 driving a few miles locally. I will buy the suggested obd reader, I used a cheap $10 elm327 from Amazon I had laying around. Again, thank you, you are THE MAN.

When you used this app to turn on the ICE while driving your 2012 Volt, were the distances driven recorded as Electric Miles or as Gas Miles? After you used it to increase the SOC from 70% to 74%, when you switched back to Normal then, were distances recorded as Electric or as Gas miles? 2011/2012 Volts have a "glitch" that records MM-generated power miles as Electric Miles without increasing kWh Used, and it’s unclear if this app has accounted for that glitch (I once drove my 2012 Volt ~89 Electric Miles showing 9.8 kWh Used by adding MM-generated power miles to my Electric Miles total).

ampera_jed
02-18-2017, 06:52 PM
All it does it command engine on or off regardless of what drive mode you have the Volt in.At what power setting does it run the engine? eg HOLD and MM vary according to accel demand, and MM gives a higher power setting for the same pedal position unless it is already close to its set point.

2VoltFamily
02-18-2017, 08:44 PM
It controls engine ecu with ecu control commands. It reads the values by sending pid requests and controls engine ecu with a different set of commands. App is going back and fourth reading and sending. All it does it command engine on or off regardless of what drive mode you have the Volt in.

brianbri6 downloaded the app for $1.05. Haven't tried it yet but I have a 2013. When it gets cold enough I would like to see if it will turn off the ERDTT.

longflare
02-18-2017, 09:31 PM
It says it is incompatible with all my devices, and isn't available on my apps at play store
Your MyVoltLifetime is showing there

colchiro
02-18-2017, 09:46 PM
I suspect only available in the US at this point.

PM Brian and see what he says.

Bill Step
02-19-2017, 12:32 PM
anyway to get this app,can't for the life of me remember my gmail acct. password.and when they go to verify me,,they say they can't.arghh

NYvolt21
02-19-2017, 01:27 PM
When you used this app to turn on the ICE while driving your 2012 Volt, were the distances driven recorded as Electric Miles or as Gas Miles? After you used it to increase the SOC from 70% to 74%, when you switched back to Normal then, were distances recorded as Electric or as Gas miles? 2011/2012 Volts have a "glitch" that records MM-generated power miles as Electric Miles without increasing kWh Used, and it’s unclear if this app has accounted for that glitch (I once drove my 2012 Volt ~89 Electric Miles showing 9.8 kWh Used by adding MM-generated power miles to my Electric Miles total).

They where recorded as gas miles. I haven't experienced that glitch when engaging MM to generate charge, it might be because mines is one of the late model 2012s with the mylink head unit, maybe they fixed the fuzzy logic on those. What i did notice was that the estimate of electric range left in miles after the battery SOC went from 70 to 74% stayed the same, however, at the end of the day i got a total of 43 electric miles.

NYvolt21
02-19-2017, 01:28 PM
At what power setting does it run the engine? eg HOLD and MM vary according to accel demand, and MM gives a higher power setting for the same pedal position unless it is already close to its set point.

From what I experienced, it does not run the power setting like either of those modes. Well, more like MM (because it adds charge) but not quite, because the engine doesn't shut off when you come to a stop or coast, it just keeps running adding extra juice to the battery and varying the RPM depending on the load. I engaged sport mode and the throttle response changed as expected but same behavior with the engine running all the time.

colchiro
02-19-2017, 01:45 PM
If you think about it, throttle response is directly tied to the switch position. All this app does is keep the engine running and the default behavior that goes with that.

wordptom
02-19-2017, 05:39 PM
They where recorded as gas miles. I haven't experienced that glitch when engaging MM to generate charge, it might be because mines is one of the late model 2012s with the mylink head unit, maybe they fixed the fuzzy logic on those. What i did notice was that the estimate of electric range left in miles after the battery SOC went from 70 to 74% stayed the same, however, at the end of the day i got a total of 43 electric miles.

If your SOC was at 70% when you used this app to turn on the ICE and the battery was then recharged to 74% SOC, if you then switched back to Normal, this increase in SOC should not increase the ev range estimate. You did not put more grid power back into the battery. That’s also why any driving done on this battery power after you turned off the ICE should be recorded as Gas Miles until the SOC drops back down to the 70% level it was reading before you used the app to turn on the ICE.

Perhaps your later model 2012 Volt has received the "glitch" correction and does record those recharged battery miles as Gas Miles. When you switch to Mountain Mode when battery SOC is low but not yet fully depleted, the ICE will start recharging the battery. When you then switch back to Normal, most 2011/2012 Volts immediately return to Electric Mode and start registering Electric Miles when using that MM-recharged battery power, which corrupts the ev% and MPGcs stats. Not sure what would happen with this app and my 2012 Volt.

It sounds like this app works less like a "Hold" mode and more like a "Mountain Mode" that starts recharging the battery when you turn it on (perhaps at a bit slower rate than when done under MM) and does not stop until you turn off the ICE. What happens when you use the app to turn on the ICE with a full charge in your battery? Does the programmed "full charge" SOC level prevent it from adding more charge? Or does it keep charging until that small buffer at the top is also charged (the one that allows you to regen while headed downhill with a full charge)? Does it stop recharging then?

colchiro
02-19-2017, 09:01 PM
Make sure you exit the app when you shut off the engine or you'll get "pipe" errors that will drain your battery.

2VoltFamily
02-21-2017, 01:43 PM
I made MyVoltHold app open to anyone who wants to be a Alpha tester here is the link. It is still a bit buggy but I am working on not using OBD requests and monitor the bus which will lead to app being soley reliant on OBDlink hardware. Elm327 just does not have enough features or is fast enough. Use scantool.net OBDlink MX for full compatibility.

https://play.google.com/apps/testing/com.thunkable.android.myvoltapp.MyVoltHold

brianbri6... I tried the app with my 2013 and the Elm327. It did not work. Are you saying it will only work with OBDlink MX?

2VoltFamily
02-23-2017, 05:00 PM
Bump... Will either one of these work? The MX is much pricier than the LX.

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-426101-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B006NZTZLQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487886962&sr=8-1&keywords=OBDlink+MX

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-427201-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B00H9S71LW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487886962&sr=8-3&keywords=OBDlink+MX

colchiro
02-23-2017, 05:41 PM
This one works fine and is only $22: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71aEgqmIiVL._SX522_.jpg

NYvolt21
02-24-2017, 12:10 AM
If your SOC was at 70% when you used this app to turn on the ICE and the battery was then recharged to 74% SOC, if you then switched back to Normal, this increase in SOC should not increase the ev range estimate. You did not put more grid power back into the battery. That’s also why any driving done on this battery power after you turned off the ICE should be recorded as Gas Miles until the SOC drops back down to the 70% level it was reading before you used the app to turn on the ICE.

Perhaps your later model 2012 Volt has received the "glitch" correction and does record those recharged battery miles as Gas Miles. When you switch to Mountain Mode when battery SOC is low but not yet fully depleted, the ICE will start recharging the battery. When you then switch back to Normal, most 2011/2012 Volts immediately return to Electric Mode and start registering Electric Miles when using that MM-recharged battery power, which corrupts the ev% and MPGcs stats. Not sure what would happen with this app and my 2012 Volt.

It sounds like this app works less like a "Hold" mode and more like a "Mountain Mode" that starts recharging the battery when you turn it on (perhaps at a bit slower rate than when done under MM) and does not stop until you turn off the ICE. What happens when you use the app to turn on the ICE with a full charge in your battery? Does the programmed "full charge" SOC level prevent it from adding more charge? Or does it keep charging until that small buffer at the top is also charged (the one that allows you to regen while headed downhill with a full charge)? Does it stop recharging then?

After leaving home with a full charge and turning on engine it went to about 86% after 3 minutes then got the pipe error and car returned to normal EV mode, I did not reattempt to turn it on again until it dropped to 70% when I got off the freeway. I'll try again and see what happens this weekend.

brianbri6
02-24-2017, 08:05 AM
brianbri6... I tried the app with my 2013 and the Elm327. It did not work. Are you saying it will only work with OBDlink MX?

It is guaranteed to work with the obdlink mx bluetooth. I would recommend a obdlink device due to the compatibility with other apps that I am dev with the Volt. Try a different elm until it works.

brianbri6
02-24-2017, 08:08 AM
Bump... Will either one of these work? The MX is much pricier than the LX.

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-426101-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B006NZTZLQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487886962&sr=8-1&keywords=OBDlink+MX

https://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-427201-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Professional/dp/B00H9S71LW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1487886962&sr=8-3&keywords=OBDlink+MX

LX should work but you are limiting yourself without the proper hardware to do other things with the Volt like remote start rolling windows up ect with other apps.

brianbri6
02-24-2017, 08:08 AM
After leaving home with a full charge and turning on engine it went to about 86% after 3 minutes then got the pipe error and car returned to normal EV mode, I did not reattempt to turn it on again until it dropped to 70% when I got off the freeway. I'll try again and see what happens this weekend.

If you get pipe errors connection is not stable.

colchiro
02-25-2017, 10:51 AM
LX should work but you are limiting yourself without the proper hardware to do other things with the Volt like remote start rolling windows up ect with other apps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5p2LZAIZnI

kellybill52
02-25-2017, 04:29 PM
@brianbri6 Ė Ok I got my OBD2 mx only 2 of your apps works for me. I canít seem to make MyVoltSMS work? I install the apps but it would not do any command?

ampera_jed
02-25-2017, 06:28 PM
Say, is there any way you can do something else? Can you send messages to open the coolant valve between the engine and HVAC circuit?

canehdian
02-26-2017, 12:34 PM
Say, is there any way you can do something else? Can you send messages to open the coolant valve between the engine and HVAC circuit?

Should be possible once the message has been logged and can be duplicated. That's the hard part.

ekimgtr
02-27-2017, 06:10 PM
1.6kw was used for the heater while in park and charging lvl2. I used .17 gallons turning the engine on and off hitting the accelerator to see of it ramps up charging output ect. I only went down the street to make the video I would not rely on any of these numbers on the charge screen.

I am leaving to do a hr drive soon and I will be enabling the motor on a full charge and see how it goes and take a pic again of the center stack.

Also it is a 2012 not a late 2012 I added the mylink swapping head units.

Hi Brian,

Was it hard to swap for the MyLink head unit? How did you get one and is it just simple plug and play with dash removal? I really want A2DP bluetooth streaming.

Thanks in advance if you can point me in the right direction. I just bought my MY2012 volt last week from a private sale. Love it so far

EvertonP
02-28-2017, 02:52 PM
This one works fine and is only $22: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005NLQAHS

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/71aEgqmIiVL._SX522_.jpg

I have different genecic OBDII bluetooth interface from a couple of years ago and it works as well (looks exactly like this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/281880830448).

I also have another one that looks like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/252428346696 and it does not work for the hold mode (but it works well with the Torque App).

brianbri6
02-28-2017, 07:18 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5p2LZAIZnI

As stated before you will be very limited in functions. GM uses a different bus to do certain functions on vehicle. Every car manufacture is different. What will work for one manufacturer does not mean it will work with another. OBDLink MX will work across all gm vehicles to date.

brianbri6
02-28-2017, 07:21 PM
@brianbri6 Ė Ok I got my OBD2 mx only 2 of your apps works for me. I canít seem to make MyVoltSMS work? I install the apps but it would not do any command?

MyVoltSMS only works with MyVoltStar running an a different phone. Myvoltlifetime and myvolthold app should work. If not please inbox me so i can help resolve issue.

brianbri6
02-28-2017, 07:28 PM

Of course I can but it can be tricky to take control of cars ecu and stay in control at all times. I have a good number of interesting messages that controls parts of the car but the diag mode reverts after a few seconds of idle if tester is not present. If you are using hold mode app while engine on the coolant valve automatically switches depending on cabin set temp and engine coolant temps. MyVoltHold app does not control hvac or any other systems it only commands the engine ecu to be on or off.

brianbri6
02-28-2017, 07:42 PM
Hi Brian,

Was it hard to swap for the MyLink head unit? How did you get one and is it just simple plug and play with dash removal? I really want A2DP bluetooth streaming.

Thanks in advance if you can point me in the right direction. I just bought my MY2012 volt last week from a private sale. Love it so far

It is very easy to upgrade to mylink the only issue is reprogramming radio to your cars vin. if you do not have the sps programming subscription from gm which is $50 for two day access and the dealer obd2 mdi tool or J2534 programmer your dead in the water. You will have to pay for programming/unlocking vin.

Unit on the left is Mylink part # 22925286. Unit on right is stock 2012 radio.

NYvolt21
02-28-2017, 11:35 PM
If you get pipe errors connection is not stable.

Today i got the ODBLink MX BT, turned the engine from a full charge, it got up to 87.06%, that seems to be the top limit. After that the engine turned off for a brief second and the app turned it back on automatically,(no pipe errors!:D). The engine seemed to be idling more freely at about 86%, as if the motor generator was not bogging it down as usual to charge up the battery.

Thanks!

ekimgtr
03-08-2017, 07:17 PM
Thanks Brian,

Bought and installed your app and it worked perfectly. I hit the SOC hard limit and parked the car for an hour. I then turned the car on and a warning popped "Limited Engine Power". I guess the hard limit of 16% raises a warning that the car is critically low and the enginer power will mostly be used to charge the battery back up to 20% SOC.

To me when the HOLD is on, its like Mountain Mode and the revs stay high and never goes to battery when idling.

subdewd
03-17-2017, 08:43 AM
Nice app. agree with ekimgtr seems like around town the engine runs fast. I suppose power is being put in battery?
city mpg is only in the 20's. however on the highway MPG returns to mid to upper 30. Nice way to build up heat at the beginning of a highway trip which is what I wanted.
I also reset the Lifetime MPG since I bought mine used it was mostly non electric with mpg in the 40.
I used the OBD from amazon posted earlier for $25. No issues so far.
Nice work I am in awe at the talent of some people to put these things together. Any other projects planned?
Is there a reason for it not displaying in landscape mode on my tablet? I want to add a display on my console.

SmjVolt
05-07-2017, 09:11 PM
Did you actually get the ELM to connect?

SmjVolt
05-10-2017, 10:47 AM
So I'm very excited that this option is now available for my 2011, I have been looking for this all over the website! Okay so maybe I haven't been on in a while, regardless THANK YOU. I just received my middle range expensive OBDII reader and was able to try out the app this morning, worked like a charm! I have not had much other time to play with it, but it seemed to hold where I wanted it to, revving the engine like I suspected to keep the charge when needed then back down a little. Thank you again, so as for the next step where are we/you? Were you able to look into a possible mimicking of the "cold engine" mode (well not a mode really). I know some folks were talking about this for longer trips to sort of max efficiency more like hybrid mode so to speak?!

rmay635703
05-10-2017, 09:27 PM
This app is interesting to me for the lower soc limit and the ERDTT disable without sensor hack.

One feature I might recommend is giving the user the ability to disable the battery heater.

The car runs fine down to a fairly low battery temp but with reduced acceleration, that's fine by me, being able to disable the heater and keep the engine off would be perfect.

Any plans to get this working on a 2013?

Gazelle330
05-16-2017, 02:47 AM
Question for the developer:

I understand you may not have tested this, but is there any reason why your MyVoltHold app would not work with the more expensive ScanTool OBDLink MX Wi-Fi?

Will your app only work with a Bluetooth model?

Fiumag
06-21-2017, 11:00 PM
Is it possible to test it before buy to be sure it works? Disable ERDTT is really what I want.

Steverino
06-21-2017, 11:01 PM
Is it possible to test it before buy to be sure it works? Disable ERDTT is really what I want.

You can do that with a $0.50 resistor.