: How long to get CA HOV stickers?

acooray
01-21-2013, 11:20 AM
If you happen to buy a Volt in CA recently how long did it take you to get HOV stickers?

The dealer offered to apply them for us as part of the registration to DMV or said we can apply ourselves after we get the car license number. Did you apply through the dealer or did yourself? I told them I will call back tomorrow so need to decide.

The finance manager told us I can start driving on HOV lanes even without stickers and unlikely to be pulled over by highway patrol as they know its a EV. Any issue with this? I have a feeling this is not totally legit even if DMV has a pending application.

DonC
01-21-2013, 11:28 AM
I'd have the dealer apply if you think they know what they are doing. I haven't heard of a dealer applying for the HOV stickers at the same time as the plates but I don't know lots and lots of things.

One thing I do know is that you cannot LEGALLY use the HOV lanes sans stickers. Your choice on whether you'd risk it. I would not but that's me. YMMV.

If you do it yourself, as you've been advised by the dealer, you have to have the plates issued before you can apply for the HOV stickers. Consequently, the faster you get your plates the sooner you can apply. Usually the dealers will expedite the process for a few bucks. At a minimum it's probably worth it to have them do that if you want the stickers sooner rather than later. Usually it takes a few weeks to get your plates if the process isn't expedited, and another few weeks after you've sent in your application for the HOV stickers before you get them. The total process would be four weeks best case, six to eight weeks worst case.

If they can do it in one step -- get the plates and the stickers -- that would be a great benefit. Since they seem to know what they're talking about I'd probably ask a few questions to make sure the plates will be expedited and go with the service, assuming of course that you want to use the HOV lanes ASAP, which from your post seems to be the case.

GM-4-LIFE
01-21-2013, 12:06 PM
It took over a month from the time I mailed my application in to the time I received my stickers. It's a simple one page DMV form. You can easily do it yourself. I am surprised the dealership would do it for you. It's an $8.00 fee and they would have to sign the form for you.

I wouldn't drive in the HOV lane without the stickers. The state needs money bad right now, so CHP will issue you a citation which is a minimum fine of $341.00 plus court fees, etc. Why a Chevy dealer would tell you otherwise is beyond me.

Zeede
01-21-2013, 12:48 PM
You cannot even begin to apply for the HOV stickers until your plates come in. THAT is usually the biggest delay.

GM-4-LIFE: A lot of dealers don't even have the correct information about the cars they sell, why would they have a better batting average w/ California regulations and laws? :)

1ev
01-21-2013, 01:14 PM
I don't know if plates go to Dealer first but they said I could call back in a week or so to get my plate info to apply for the stickers. I let about 10-12 days go by before calling but voila, the plates were in my mailbox.

I think it's been about a week or so since I've mailed the application.

Number719
01-21-2013, 01:14 PM
The finance manager told us I can start driving on HOV lanes even without stickers and unlikely to be pulled over by highway patrol as they know its a EV. Any issue with this? I have a feeling this is not totally legit even if DMV has a pending application.

Funny! Guess I should be able to drive my 2011 Volt in the car pool lane too because the CHP will "know" it's an EV!

My recent experience with our 2013 Volt:

Nov 14 Pick up car; dealer files paperwork for plates
Dec 03 Received plates; filed paperwork for stickers
Jan 16: Received stickers

stoichvolt
01-21-2013, 05:15 PM
My experience on my '13:

Vehicle delivery: 9/13/12
Plates took extra long due to inept postal service mis-delivery or loss.
DMV visit for new plates 11/27/12, attempted to file form for stickers and was told it was only handled via postal mail.
Dec. 1 mailed HOV app and $8 check.
Jan 9th 2013 - received stickers!

Scott

PowerTrip
01-21-2013, 05:22 PM
Got my 2013 Volt in September. It took the DMV 3-1/2 weeks from when I sent in the application for them to deposit my check.

It then took about four days to receive my decals (http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?12592-California-HOV-Green-Stickers-Received!!&p=206321#post206321).