: clippercreek CS-40 32 amp charger?

sea
01-10-2013, 11:04 PM
Anyone have any experience, knowledge, or opinion about this charger?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clipper-Creek-CS-40-J1772-EV-charger-/261150096338?pt=Battery_Chargers&hash=item3ccdc23bd2

HICRNT
01-10-2013, 11:41 PM
I think this one is suitable for outdoor mounting;they have a couple of public ones like this in town; seems pretty solid

nater
01-10-2013, 11:45 PM
The seller is a friend of mine. I have two of these chargers. This is the best bargain you will find; chargers are like new and cords and handles are new.

It's such a bargain you won't even believe how nice they are when they arrive. I put a range cord on mine and plugged them right into the Nema 14-50 in my garage. The casing isn't just outdoor rated; it's Nema 4 rated which withstands a pressurized hose!

Order quick before he runs out!

Nate

sea
01-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Thank for the info

Ron in Omaha
01-11-2013, 12:00 AM
I'd rather pay 600 for that one than 500 for the SPX Voltec junk. It's a lot of overkill for charging a Volt since the Volt won't pull more than 14 amps, but the benefit is that you are ready for future higher power EV charging. I'd click the buy button myself if I wasn't already in the middle of building my own OpenEVSE.

Rampage_Rick
01-11-2013, 02:54 AM
I also bought one, as the price was too good to pass up. It's still in the box, but I'm hoping to convince my employer to install it at one of their properties and they can reimburse me (for far less than other solutions)

BTW, mine shipped in an official Clipper Creek box. This is the cleanest "refurbished" product I've ever bought.

daninoah
01-11-2013, 10:00 AM
Sounds like an unbelievable deal. This exact model charger has been at my local city's civic center for almost one year. It is outside and works rain or shine, hot or cold. It is easy to use and really flawless. If I didn't have a Blink charger (which I equally like) in my home, I would have already bought this one.

Zeede
01-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Yup, the one at the City Hall next to my office that I use is this same model.

Works great.

emartin00
01-11-2013, 01:30 PM
Hmm... Tempting...
Any thoughts on this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/EVSE-J1772-clipper-creek-220-volt-EV-charge-cable-/130832194791?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7634dce7

nater
01-11-2013, 03:43 PM
That's a low amp CS-20 unit. The only reason to buy it is if you want portability or only have a 20 amp 240v circuit.

I actually bought a CS-60 for the house and a CS-40 for the office since they already have a 40 Amp circuit. The cord on the CS-60 is REALLY thick.

Nate

WisVolt
01-15-2013, 04:56 PM
I Just installed one of these this weekend. Puchased on ebay with 25 foot cord. Excellent unit, big upgrade from 120v charging. Can't tell it's used, looks brand new inside and out.

nater
01-15-2013, 06:16 PM
This is the bargain of the century! I can't believe they aren't selling out. The enclosure is Nema 4 rated, for WET location, not just DAMP. Contrast this to Schneider which isn't even outdoor rated!

Nate

fishhawk
01-15-2013, 07:25 PM
Looks like they did.

Joule Thief
01-15-2013, 08:01 PM
Yep all gone, that was a very good deal. If you got one of these you did well. One question is these are "seller refurbished", what is the warranty?

Actually, looks like he's got a new listed going for $600 here
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clipper-Creek-CS-40-J1772-EV-charger/261155265164?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=016&category=48618&cmd=ViewItem

It's been modified with a longer 25' cable - nice!

He also has a 60A model here going for $725 which is also a great deal!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Clipper-Creek-CS-60-J1772-60-Amp-EV-Charger/261155607201?ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1&ih=016&category=48618&cmd=ViewItem

This one also has a 25' cable and looks like he's offering a 3yr warranty. Maybe this implies he'll give a 3yr on the 40A units also?

Note, the unit is *not* covered by a complete original equipment listing (UL, CSA) as it was originally delivered with an interim connector cordset, and now refurbished by the seller (me). The unit is outside any original manufacturer warranty, but the seller will warrant the charger for 3 years from the date of your purchase. This is a high quality charging station offered at a special low price.

I wonder where he got these? Maybe a city hall garage somewhere is missing their EVSEs :p His post does say this

Originally fitted with an interim connector for an electric car trial program that ended.

sea
01-18-2013, 11:25 PM
Well I got this thing installed. It is much bigger than I thought........ Not a problem just surprised. Looks like it was never used. Came in the factory OEM box. The plug and cord are heavy duty compared to the stock charger that came with the car.

I had no info on these so thanks for the heads up, and the range cord sugestion worked great. I feed it with a 40A breaker.... going 3 feet with #6 to a 50A receptacle to a 50A range cord 3' to the unit.

I looked these up after I ordered and found out they originally sold for $ 3,000.00 ! They now sell for $ 1,750.00 !

This forum is very valuable..... I would have probably missed it. Thanks for the quick info guys.

piratefan2
01-20-2013, 02:07 PM
I got one of these as well. The "punch-outs" on the unit had never been punched out! The charging cord is very long and sturdy.

Before purchasing, I messaged the seller. He said that he warranties them for 3 years.

chrisishardcore
02-12-2013, 02:50 PM
I also got one of these - wiring it up to the 14-50 outlet I have in my garage. Can anyone tell me if I should put the neutral blade into the male plug and just attach it to nothing, or should I just leave the neutral blade out? Or a third option perhaps...?

nater
02-13-2013, 01:26 AM
If you are using a cordset with a molded plug, like a Range Cord from home depot, just cap the neutral wire inside the unit with a wirenut. If you have a piece of wire and separate NEMA 14-50 plug with replacable blades, just leave the neutral pin out of it, and don't wire the screw to anything. (Use 10-3 cord).

Nate

Mathew Hennessy
03-25-2013, 11:24 PM
I just had a 60A circuit installed for the CS-60, and it won't begin charging my 2011 Volt. Voicemails and email to the seller have gone unanswered, and I'm a bit annoyed.

Rampage_Rick
03-25-2013, 11:42 PM
I just had a 60A circuit installed for the CS-60, and it won't begin charging my 2011 Volt. Voicemails and email to the seller have gone unanswered, and I'm a bit annoyed.What lights are on? (both the front panel and inside on the circuit board)

Mathew Hennessy
03-26-2013, 12:35 AM
What lights are on? (both the front panel and inside on the circuit board)

When I plug in, the diagnostic light blinks 2-3x a second, but the charge light is off. When I then press the front panel button the front green charging light blinks, and the red led right just beneath the green diagnostic led is solid. When I push the two diagnostic buttons, the relay closes and the charge light is solid green.

16falcon
03-26-2013, 02:14 AM
Is the diagnostic light flashing rapidly when not plugged into the car or only when plugged in? Do you have the manual? This from the manual, but it implies it is with it not plugged into the car:

"If the CS-60 detects an internal failure, the Diagnostic LED will blink at a faster rate. One of the other LEDs may also be lit and indicate the nature of the problem, such as an inoperative Ground Fault circuitry, or a missing Service Ground."

Also the table shows "Service Required" for a Rapidly flashing diagnostic LED with no other LEDs lit.

I hope the seller comes through with a fix. I also hope they don't all have the same problem, mine is supposed to come this week. I have to get the city permits before I wire it up. I'll be able to do the test from the manual but I don't have a Volt yet to actually test it on the car. I'm having trouble finding the time to contact dealers and get a deal arranged.

If you have any problems with the seller you have some recourse through eBay as well.

Good luck, let us know how it turns out.

Rampage_Rick
03-26-2013, 02:54 AM
When I plug in, the diagnostic light blinks 2-3x a second, but the charge light is off. When I then press the front panel button the front green charging light blinks, and the red led right just beneath the green diagnostic led is solid. When I push the two diagnostic buttons, the relay closes and the charge light is solid green.When you turn on the power to the CS-60, without plugging into your car, what does the diagnostic light do?

This might help: http://www.clippercreek.com/pdf/CS-40%20User%20Manual%20DLP%20IP%20081205%20v03.pdf

Mathew Hennessy
03-26-2013, 01:36 PM
It blinks 2-3x per second when I flip the breaker on while the car's unplugged. Testing the relay by pressing the 2 diagnostic buttons also works: the contacts close noisily and the charge light is solid green.

I'll try calling the seller again today, perhaps they take mondays off.

Rampage_Rick
03-26-2013, 03:31 PM
It blinks 2-3x per second when I flip the breaker on while the car's unplugged. Testing the relay by pressing the 2 diagnostic buttons also works: the contacts close noisily and the charge light is solid green.
According to the manual, if the relay activates when you press the two test buttons then the unit should be operational.

I wonder if there's a problem with the pilot signal between the CS-60 and the Volt?

Earlier you mentioned that the green Charge light was blinking. According to the manual this has to do with the load management feature. Do you have any wires connected to the Hi/Lo or Hi/Off terminals at the top?

Mathew Hennessy
03-26-2013, 03:53 PM
I wonder if there's a problem with the pilot signal between the CS-60 and the Volt?

The ebay ad mentioned the Volt as being supported, though I wonder if a later firmware rev to the controller board is needed to get the Volt working?

Earlier you mentioned that the green Charge light was blinking. According to the manual this has to do with the load management feature. Do you have any wires connected to the Hi/Lo or Hi/Off terminals at the top?

Nothing is connected to the terminals aside from the wires to the control board themselves. I also didn't see a sticker on the control board indicating that it had been flashed to 60A, I'm wondering now if I need an updated firmware or something..

Mathew Hennessy
03-27-2013, 04:23 PM
Finally got in touch with the seller, they're shipping out a unit to swap out, suspicion is of a faulty resistor in the handle. Fingers x'd on the replacement!

SCIrwin
03-28-2013, 10:34 AM
When you turn on the power to the CS-60, without plugging into your car, what does the diagnostic light do?

This might help: http://www.clippercreek.com/pdf/CS-40%20User%20Manual%20DLP%20IP%20081205%20v03.pdf

First, Make sure your car is not in delayed charging mode.
do not push the on/off button on the station after you plug-in: just plug in and it automatically comes on if everything is OK
When the front panel green light flashes, you have actually turned off the station.
If the two test buttons in the station activate the contactor, the station is OK, but check one more thing;
Check that the small blue connector inside the station, located where the charge cable comes into the station, is securely connected.

ClipperCreek
03-28-2013, 02:57 PM
ClipperCreek CS-40 stations are fully compatible with the Volt and all other vehicles on the market. If you are having problems with a station, please contact the distributor you purchased the equipment from or ClipperCreek directly. Our service staff are ready to assist you.

-- ClipperCreek Service Staff

Mathew Hennessy
04-02-2013, 01:14 PM
Fast forward a bit, I finally got in touch with the seller and got a cross-ship'd replacement in yesterday, swapped out the faulty unit, and all is good. Now, to find a 13kW Performance Part charger for the Volt ;)

ScotMac
04-15-2013, 04:53 AM
-

I wonder where he got these? Maybe a city hall garage somewhere is missing their EVSEs :p His post does say this

I just got one of the cs-60's. I believe they were supporting the BMW ActiveE or mini-E lease program.