: Looking for SUV or car manufacturing plant to buy or lease.

rhodomel
09-12-2012, 05:20 PM
One of my wealthy friend recently acquired exclusive license for manufacturing an external combustion engine that has an overall efficiency close to 60%. He also acquired an electric motor that is more powerful and more efficient than what Tesla had, and it can double the car's range from the same amount of battery energy.

My friend and his team have approached Tesla, GM, Ford, Toyota for the new technology and they said that they have revolutionary technology and it is great, but then never heard back from them. We figured that these established companies have invested several billions in their current infrastructure and it is earning money at the moment, so no amount of technological advancement would persuade them to dismantle and change their infrastructure overnight. Why even fix an existing business that is currently earning money? If it ain't broke, why fix it? This is the dilemma of new technologies when presented before the established businesses. They resist change and won't budge.

The problem is that the technology is radical rather than incremental. We've also learned that Tesla doesn't care if it makes profit or not with their cars. The company that Tesla has contracted out the electric motor, drive train, and battery software is the one that is really profitable. They can make the cars break even but the company that holds the electric motor, drive train, and the sophisticated software for the battery is the real money maker for them. So they were also not interested in the new revolutionary motor to be used in the Tesla Model S.

The only remaining option right now is to manufacture the new engine and the electric motors and sell it and make noise so that the established businesses will take notice when there is a threat to their bottom line. There are working prototypes already. So my friend is looking for a manufacturing plant that are being shutdown, preferably in the US or north america. He would have wanted to buy the GM Plant in Arizpe, Mexico that produces the SAAB SUV. It was initially negotiated by the Chinese business people but GM did not agree to sell them to the Chinese for fear of dismantling the plant and reinstalling their latest advanced manufacturing processes in China. And we know that the SAAB has been purchased by National Electric Vehicles of Sweden.

My friend would have wanted to buy the IP rights to SAAB SUV as the vehicle to use the revolutionary engine and electric motor, giving it a minimum of 100 mpg. It will be an EREV like the Volt. But he is late at purchasing NUMMI and now late at purchasing SAAB GM Plant in Mexico. He would try to negotiate with SAAB to supply the body and chassis while he would install the engine and the electric motor.

If you know of some car manufacturing plant shutting down please respond to this thread, and we will investigate it. Or perhaps other car manufacturing company startup that he can share resources with. There used to be a Saturn hybrid SUV, so any updates on the manufacturing plant? Please help by pointing leads or contact persons.

Truly appreciate your inputs.

Rhodomel Meads
just another satisfied Volt driver.

nhern202
09-12-2012, 05:36 PM
The below link may have some leads.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motors_Liquidation_Company

jsmay311
09-12-2012, 06:26 PM
I think an internet forum is a great place to search for a manufacturing plant for making an imaginary product. Best of luck to your friend!

rhodomel
09-12-2012, 06:46 PM
I was hoping if the insider GM Volt advisers here would help. We had already searched, but we have too much pile of crap to sift through, and hoping that some here are involved with manufacturing and had first hand data of some manufacturing companies shutting down. The product is not imaginary. As soon as I am allowed by NDA some leeway to publish the patent numbers, I will post them here.

rhodomel
09-12-2012, 06:56 PM
The below link may have some leads.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motors_Liquidation_Company

Thanks so much nhern202! I have forwarded the link, especially about the schedule of those next on the auction block.

rhodomel
09-12-2012, 07:04 PM
I think an internet forum is a great place to search for a manufacturing plant for making an imaginary product. Best of luck to your friend!

I have been a senior member of this forum, much longer than you do, and I have confidence in many people here. Some I know are entrepreneurs, others are heavily involved with manufacturing. I am serious in my request, otherwise I wouldn't take a lot of effort for my post. I respect many people here that is why I have stucked with this forum long after I got my Volt.

Some of you discussed great advances, critiqued some new technology, and I liked the way they were discussed. At this point, I am not in the position to discuss the technology of my friend, and indeed the internet is a big pile of mostly useless information to search for manufacturing plants that are shutting down.

I only wanted to request help finding those if people have a good chance of knowing them first hand, as their information is more valuable than what typically comes out of search engines. The help would surely be appreciated. I'd rather have my friend losing money here in the US than abroad, so a US based going out of business machinery manufacturing plant would be first priority in the search for the project.

WVhybrid
09-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Have you talked to some of the leading real estate recyclers? Off the top of my head, I know that Ray Park of Park Corporation has rehabilitated and saved many industrial sites, including the South Charleston Ordnance Center here in West by God Virginia. (google Ray Park Cleveland or Park Corporation Cleveland)

Also, just off the top of my head, you should talk to the Gravedancer, Sam Zell. He may be spending more time on news print these days instead of old buildings. But for instance, Zell bought Schwinn out of bankruptcy when Eddie steered his grandfathers factories off a cliff in the '90s.

Other ideas:

I hear there is an old auto plant in Janesville, WS, that might be available. Maybe the local congressman would be a good contact. :D

Also, it looks like there are a lot of large windmill facilities becoming available this fall. You may want to talk to Vesta, Gamesa, LMGlass, and a few other of the wind guys.

Ladogaboy
09-12-2012, 09:21 PM
I know that some of the smaller Japanese car manufacturers like Fuji Heavy Industries (Subaru) can't use the entire production capacity of domestic plants, so your friend might want to look into sharing a plant with an already established auto manufacturer.

Also, though if your friend is ready to commit to a plant he must have thought this out already, there is much more to building a car than just the drive train. A lot of work goes into the chassis design and development as well as the exterior and interior design and development.

Your friend might rather consider focusing just on the design and development of the engine, motor, and transmission so that he can sell it to the project car/EV conversion crowd. If your friend can actually put together an engine/generator/motor/controller combo that can achieve 100 mph in say, a car with a Cd of .3, then your friend could have a pretty large and interested audience.

bonaire
09-12-2012, 09:44 PM
>> He also acquired an electric motor that is more powerful and more efficient than what Tesla had, and it can double the car's range from the same amount of battery energy.

A more powerful electric motor cannot double a car's range. It is all about the conversion of battery energy to locomotive energy through the properly-sized electric motor. There are thousands of different sizes of electric motors and many are indeed larger than Tesla's. In fact, I doubt Tesla's is all that special. Show me a motor that takes one battery's charge and doubles the distance and I'll invest my life savings in the company but I would want to buy convertable Sr. Warrants in the firm and get in before it takes over the world like grey goo. There is a reason your friend is *NOT* getting calls back from those companies he has contacted.

Anyway - sounds like he should contact these folks. http://www.mynewev.com/ The guy who runs it is a piece of work and was on CoasttoCoastAM a while back and was talking up his new inexpensive EV truck (Tata-sourced) and said he was going to be selling thousands. He'll need those motors.

KnoxVolt
09-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Also, if you have a target region in mind where there is a history of manufacturing of the type which might work for you, find that region's Industrial Development Agency (IDA). I worked with an IDA in my previous home location and they had their finger on the pulse of all of the industry both thriving and shutting down. They were also in a position to lobby with local government to provide aid to people like your friend. Their job is to bring industry into their community and they can sometimes sweeten the pot (tax credits, low cost commercial lending, etc.) to attract a viable business into their business community. Good people to find and work with.

Ladogaboy
09-12-2012, 10:28 PM
In fact, I doubt Tesla's is all that special.

Side note. I beg to differ, sir. The AC motor in the Tesla Roadster is nothing short of awesome. It's like the holy grail for many DIY EV enthusiasts. Check out these stats: 215 kW, 14,000 rpm, almost 90% efficiency (80% at peak loads), and only weighs 70 lbs. If there were a way to fit that thing in my Volt, I'd be all over it.

rhodomel
09-19-2012, 10:31 AM
The product is not imaginary. As soon as I am allowed by NDA some leeway to publish the patent numbers, I will post them here.

As promised, here is the patent number: 20100263379

Here's the link to the patent:
http://www.google.com/patents/US20100263379?dq=20100263379&hl=en&sa=X&ei=jMdZUJeVJOPhiwKbxoGgAg&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA

They have achieved beyond prototype stage and have spent more than $100M to reach this far and are ready to manufacture and commercialize. Since no car manufacturing companies have taken them seriously for reasons stated earlier, they want to produce their own vehicles.

Take note that they can convert existing makers of internal combustion engines into external combustion engine, that is why the interest in buying manufacturing plants that not only assembles SUV but also manufactures internal combustion engines.

rhodomel
09-19-2012, 10:45 AM
There is still big room for improvement in the AC motor in Tesla Roadster. It's AC motor is not efficient at variable RPM, peak loads, low RPM, and it heats up and therefore wastes a lot of energy if you have variable RPM, which is to be expected in stop go traffic. There are only few sweet spots of RPM and load that the efficiency is above 90%.

The new revolutionary electric motor developed by our friend no longer requires a digital controller and any gear box nor transmission at all. It is also very efficient at all RPM's, hitting consistently above 96%. This has tremendously reduced the weight further and reduced the size of the motor that you can fit the motors in all four wheels and still would weigh less than that of Tesla's single AC motor to deliver the same amount of power. To deliver the same amount of power, the cost of production of the new motor would be less than half of that of Tesla's AC motor.

As soon as I get permission to obtain the patent number, I will also post it here.

OhioEE
09-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Not sure really what you are looking for, but there is the shut down GM assembly plant in Moraine OH (south of Dayton). It was also being considered for the Aptera electric car before that went belly up. There is also a major Honda engine casting plant north of the city that supplies the Marysville Honda plant but not sure if that helps you in any way except that there may be some major skill sets you need already in the region.

rhodomel
09-19-2012, 02:51 PM
Not sure really what you are looking for, but there is the shut down GM assembly plant in Moraine OH (south of Dayton). It was also being considered for the Aptera electric car before that went belly up. There is also a major Honda engine casting plant north of the city that supplies the Marysville Honda plant but not sure if that helps you in any way except that there may be some major skill sets you need already in the region.

Thanks for this lead. It will help us in refining our search.