: Ability to change charging from 8 amps to 12 amps via internet or app?

Curb71
09-04-2012, 11:07 PM
I keep parking at work and forgetting to set it at 12 amps. At 8 amps it is usually not fully charged when leaving work. Is there a way to change this setting without sitting in the car? Or is there a way to default it to charge at 12 amps?

MrEnergyCzar
09-04-2012, 11:11 PM
Complain to your Volt advisor so they can come up with a fix.....you can't set-it as a default 12amp setting in the 2013's.... at least you get more EV range than us early Volters....

MrEnergyCzar

dsinned
09-04-2012, 11:25 PM
I believe this is a mechanical switch function at the 120V Voltec charger itself, so I don't see how remotely activating the 12A charging mode would be possible.

solar_dave
09-04-2012, 11:46 PM
I believe this is a mechanical switch function at the 120V Voltec charger itself, so I don't see how remotely activating the 12A charging mode would be possible.

It is always the car that controls the charge rate, the wall unit just advertises what is available to the car from the wall unit. The early wall units would advertise either 8 or 12 amps depending on the switch setting. I am sure the new units advertise 12 amps, but it is always the car that decides.

RScott
09-05-2012, 08:23 AM

For the 2011s and 2012s, the charger had a switch (button) on it, that would limit it to 8A.

But, the poor souls that bought 2013s get stuck with an 8A default and a special process to override it.

Hopefully GM will think of some better way. I'm sure that the 8A prevents a lot of customer service issues, but I'm guessing the only people that charge at 8A are those that are not on dedicated circuits that have issues at 12A.

ElectricBowtie
09-05-2012, 10:45 AM
I personally think that Chevy wanted to prevent people from overheating their chargers and set the default to 8A on the 2013 on purpose. I know my late model 2012 charger gets pretty hot on 12A and I have started to place a small fan next to it to keep it cool when 12A charging is needed. Otherwise, I leave it on 8A if I have the time.

Fulgerite
09-05-2012, 11:20 AM
Does anyone know if the 2013 volt allows you to change the charge rate with the iPhone app or the MyVolt web interface?

ElectricBowtie
09-05-2012, 11:32 AM
Nope, don't see the option in either spot

KnoxVolt
09-05-2012, 11:36 AM
I've got a MY2013 Volt and this is my first/only irritation with the vehicle so far. It is truly a nuisance even if it is theoretically for my own safety.

On the 120v charger provided with the MY2013 there is no physical switch to choose between 8A or 12A. It feeds the full 12A and the charge level is managed by the Volt. You set the charge level through the menus on screen in the center stack.

So... If you want/need to charge at 12A, EVERY time you end your day of driving and plan to charge you have to go through the menus and specifically set the car to charge at that level. Very irritating. It is easy to forget. It is especially irritating if you are trying to grab a mid-day charge only to find you're getting less out of it than you thought.

There should be a way for you to select your preferred charge level and set it as default.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
09-05-2012, 03:19 PM
As a safety feature the Volt will automatically default to the 8amps. This was designed by the engineers as a safeguard the Volt needs. This is to assist and remind owners that the Volt needs to be on a dedicated, grounded, oriented outlet on an individual circuit to be able to charge. This feature is to prevent the outlet getting "warm" and overheating.

The 2013 owners only have to push the "Leaf" button, select the charging tab, then charge level, and then push the amps they would like to charge at. You can change this level while driving.

There is no option on the app or the MyVolt.com site to change the charge level.

This is the way the Volt was designed for the 2013, there will not be an option to retrofit, or change the charge cord charging design. We truly do value your feedback regarding this safety feature.

Melissa Volt Advisor Team
An Associate of Morley Companies, Inc.
Volt Line: 877-486-5846
Email: VOLTDA101@gmexpert.com

Mathew Hennessy
09-05-2012, 03:32 PM
So, wait, the chargers for 2011 and 2012 are unsafe?

Not being able to set this as a default is pretty weak. Additionally, having to hunt and peck thru the menus for it is lame. Less lame would be to have the amperage choice come up when you hit the charge door open button.

ItsNotAboutTheMoney
09-05-2012, 03:33 PM
The 2013 owners only have to push the "Leaf" button

One

, select the charging tab

Two

, then charge level

Three

, and then push the amps they would like to charge at.

Four

And this is something owners have to do every time they plug in using the 120v charger, which many owners could be doing EVERY DAY when they plug in at home?

Wow, that's going to get annoying.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
09-05-2012, 03:41 PM
The 2011 &2012 are safe; they have the option on the charge cord to change the level. The 2013 has a different charge cord design and the option is available. They have the option in the Volt to change the level.

To change the level in the 2011 &2012 they also have to push a button on the cord to change the levels. There will always be a button to push to change a level. I understand your frustration for the safety feature and we appreciate your feedback for the option.

Melissa Volt Advisor Team
An Associate of Morley Companies, Inc.
Volt Line: 877-486-5846
Email: VOLTDA101@gmexpert.com

liuping
09-05-2012, 04:13 PM
This is an extremely annoying change for the 2013 MY. by far the most disappointing thing I've found on the Volt so far.

Our home outlet it good for the 12Amp charge as is the outlet at work (it's a dedicated EV spot, just no 240V charging station), so every time we plug in, twice a day we have to navigate through the menus to pick the same option.

If we forget to do it before plugin in, when have to got back in the car, start it up and go through all those steps.

This is absolutely idiotic form a usability stand point. I understand defaulting the car to 8 Amps when new, but once we know the difference between 12 an 8amp charging and that out outsets are good for it, making use jump though hoop for ever change is ridiculous.

At the very minimum we should be able to change it with the RemoteLink, so we don't have to go back out to the car to change it.

Sphyrna
09-05-2012, 04:17 PM
As a safety feature the Volt will automatically default to the 8amps. This was designed by the engineers as a safeguard the Volt needs. This is to assist and remind owners that the Volt needs to be on a dedicated, grounded, oriented outlet on an individual circuit to be able to charge. This feature is to prevent the outlet getting "warm" and overheating.

I think this is a smart move on GM's part and should minimize problems with charging. However, those who do have a dedicated, grounded outlet on an individual circuit should be able to set the default to 12A so we don't have to go through the 4 step process to change the charge setting every time we charge.

Tweeker255
09-05-2012, 05:10 PM
It’s good that a volt advisor can see the frustration it brings to the 2013 volt owners. I understand the safety feature of it. I also can almost understand not being able to set it as a default. However, if this is the case then this should be a feature we can change on the app. It really is a software selection no different than charging immediately or delayed. Melissa could you tell us if this feature could become available via an app update. If these are not options or updates that can be done then Chevy really needs to change its advertisements on charging time for the Volt because charging at the lower amp setting pretty much doubles the charging time. This is a pain for me when my roommates move my car and I have to go outside and change the setting myself. its hard enough to get them to plug it back in.

DCFusor
09-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Sure am glad I'm just doing L2...

Fulgerite
09-05-2012, 05:45 PM
I think this new 8 amp default is more about limiting GM's possible liability and embarrassment than improving the customer experience.

Remembering the customer's preference for the charge rate is what customers are asking for... and it is what customers deserve.

If GM's lawyers are afraid of liability perhaps they can put up a legal agreement that you have to accept before the 12 amp preference can be stored.

This is just another example of how corporate legal paranoia can ruin the customer experience.

solar_dave
09-05-2012, 06:10 PM
Sure am glad I'm just doing L2...

Me too L2 solves all this plus gets you multiples per day with no issues.

joshf
09-05-2012, 07:37 PM
"The 2013 owners only have to push the "Leaf" button, select the charging tab, then charge level, and then push the amps they would like to charge at. You can change this level while driving."

Can this be changed to fewer than 4 steps (5 if you include "back")? I think that's the main frustration.

liuping
09-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Can this be changed to fewer than 4 steps (5 if you include "back")? I think that's the main frustration.

I think part of the frustration is that the designers (or more likely the lawyers) think we need reminding about our house wiring every single day.

This is to assist and remind owners that the Volt needs to be on a dedicated, grounded, oriented outlet on an individual circuit to be able to charge.

Once we've inspected an outlet, we should be able to tell the Volt it's good, just once.

I think a good solution might be use the GPS info and ask us the first time we try to recharge at a new location if the outlet is known to be good for 12Amp charging. Most likely only a handful of locations would be needed to be stored (home, work 1, work2, etc) or you could do the last n locations, with some indicator if in slow charge mode.

RScott
09-05-2012, 10:02 PM
This is the way the Volt was designed for the 2013, there will not be an option to retrofit, or change the charge cord charging design. We truly do value your feedback regarding this safety feature.

If there won't be an option to retrofit or change the cord design, wouldn't it be more valuable to have complacent customers than ones providing unusable feedback?

There really needs to be some way to allow 2013 owners to work around this. When I first heard about that (through the leaked GM document to dealers a couple months ago), I couldn't believe it. Yes, it may be a safety issue, but if you are going to allow users to use 12A, there needs to be a way to let them use 12A without interfering with the driving process.

One of the things that I love about my Volt is that all I do after parking is plug it in, which takes only a few seconds (and is obviously necessary to drive electric). Having to double or triple that time for a unnecessary step (except perhaps for liability issues) would really annoy me.

I like the idea of getting people into the safety mindset of 8A vs 12A (which is more important for a device that draws electricity for 10 hours straight, unlike a hairdryer), but this really goes too far.

thedak
09-05-2012, 11:00 PM
I wish I could charge at 10 amps and keep it straight real

Sphyrna
09-05-2012, 11:14 PM
The good thing is Trevor mentioned you can change the setting while driving. So instead of taking extra time when I get home to change the setting I can just do it on the way home when I'm stopped at a light doing nothing. But would still prefer a SW update that allows us to set the default to 12A.

scottf200
09-05-2012, 11:54 PM
OnStar developer was on facebook and I pointed them here. Would be nice to have a reminder that it is on 8amp (vs 12amp) and is charging. Also be able to change it via remotelink/iOS.

I get why they made it 8amp. We've seen LOTs of examples of bad/burnt outlets folks. Seriously do you want a fire in the news regarding 12 amp charging. It would eventually happen I'd guess ... some old house, some old circuit, some unique situation.

Dumb why they made it so hard to switch tho. Reuse TP for one button swap. Heck .... give me an option to say 'remind me' ... so when I push the button on the door to open the port that it may add a prompt (for the forgetful folks) just like it ask about immediate or delayed.

davidMVA
09-06-2012, 09:59 AM
I own a 2012 model and usually charge at 110V, 8 amps overnight, although I never detected any overheating using 12 amps. My assumption is that power losses would be lower at 8 amps and that a lower charge current would extend the life of the power cord and more importantly the HV battery.
But I could be wrong....
I'm happy to see GM set it to 8 amps for 2013 models, kind of confirming my assumptions. I suppose those who need to charge faster need to invest in a 220V charger.

KnoxVolt
09-06-2012, 12:54 PM
The good thing is Trevor mentioned you can change the setting while driving.

Ok... so there's this safety/liability issue our litigious society makes us bow to... but let's let them change this setting while driving around, for convenience. Yeah, that would be ok!

Four <touches>

And this is something owners have to do every time they plug in using the 120v charger, which many owners could be doing EVERY DAY when they plug in at home?

Wow, that's going to get annoying.

It already is REALLY annoying... I love this car. I hate this "safety feature".

(L2 Ecotality charger on it's way)

wwwxenunet
09-06-2012, 01:01 PM
Regards the 8A Default -

1.) It is a Royal PIA that:
a.) Only Irritates the Volt User because when the Operator Default is to routinely set it to 12A.
b.) Absolutely NO Safety Benefit is Realized by the Lower Default - Period!
c.) Outdoor Power Outlets and Equipment such as Chargers (Internal Mechanical (not soldered) Connections/Relays if not perfectly sealed) and Cord Connectors will rapidly degrade over time vs Indoor Electrical Equipment / Connectors / Outlets - some outdoor equipment has design improvements over strictly 'indoor only' designs but they will degrade rapidly when compared to that same unit used indoors only.
d.) The Mechanical Electrical connectors common on the Voltec Charger and typical outlets should be periodically checked for signs of heat stress - visually the shinny prong / visible socket connector surfaces will have become 'fogged' at first then later as the problem worsens it will show signs of the Rubbery-Plastic Plug appearing heat stressed / slight gaps / cracked near the metal prongs - the Volt Owners should also validate that when they plug the unit in or unplug it that there is a Strong Resistance to Push / Pull Against as the Plug is Attached / Disconnected from the Receptacle - For All Volt Owners especially those that never Unplug their Portable Voltec Charger from the Wall they should develop the habit of checking the Charger's AC Plug Body for Heat after the car has been charging for at least 20 mins at 12A - Never leave the Un-Needed Portion of the Volt's Charger Cord Coiled around the Charger Body as the Power Loss over the length of the cord will strongly concentrate the heat - likewise never cover the charger with anything like hanging a Winter Jacket over the Convenient Coat-Hook Like Face of the Charger as the Power Loss internally to the Charger will build up heat rapidly as well.
e.) The Voltec Portable 120Vac Charger could have but doesn't have "A Sensitive Power Loss Detector' (it does have a detector but evidently not sensitive enough to stop the Cord Meltdowns we've seen) that would detect the Loss of Voltage (electrical heating is occurring somewhere in the Electrical Chain to the Car (house wiring, AC Socket, extension cords, etc) that is now very likely heating - although there will be less heating at 8A vs 12A with degraded electrical supply its still heating and is a potential critical situation. Therefore if it was a Safety Concern the Voltec Charger could easily detect a No Current Draw Voltage State as seen during the Volt Charge Negotiation Phase (Amber Light when first plugged in) to the Significant Voltage Loss when the Volt Ramps up the Demand (the Volt steps the Load up incrementally engaging as many sub-modules as needed to reach to the desired 12A over a few seconds - vs just slam on 12A Draw). For example - Starting No Demand Voltage - 120VAC - For Example IF the Full 12A Demand now drops the Voltage to 110VAC - this could be seen in a voltage rise across the Ground to Neutral of between 5-10VAC - the trouble is the Voltage Drop isn't often spread out over the entire path back to the Main Electrical Supply Breaker but mostly found to be dipping at weak points such as degraded outlets and Plug Prongs / Mechanical Connectors / Relay Contacts / etc - this voltage loss of 10VAC at 12A translates to about 120Watts (a bit more than an Automobile Cigarette Lighter) - we all know how hot a 100Watt Light Bulb gets - Remember that is the heat that is being generated / lost / prior (before, across the length of wires) to the the Voltec Charger. If for example this was mostly lost at the Electrical Plug (say just 30 Watts of the 100Watt Loss) - consider that those Wood Burning Pencils / Small Solder Irons are often 25Watts and they get really really hot - a hot spot can rapidly decay as it heats into a very very hot spot as the heat will cascade the degradation - thus a safety problem that even at 8A vs 12A the 30Watt Example still presents about a 20Watt Hotspot - that if Hot will degrade as well although slower.

Bottom Line the 12A vs the 8A is just a PIA to (120VAC Voltec Chargers) Volt Users - the New PIA Default is 8A - So therefore if there was indeed a SAFETY Issue Concern to 2011/2012 Volt Owners as well then the Safety Solution would have been to improve the detection of No Demand vs Full Demand Loss of Supplied AC Voltage and to then Fault Interrupt the Charging Cycle and Raise a RED LED Warning. The Resultant End-User Safety Advisory Message / Code would be to have a Certified Electrical Contractor Validate your Electrical Service. The OnStar App would have been able to generate Faulty Charge Power Interrupts and the Volt to Charger Communication could have detected the Supply Voltage Drop (Ground to Neutral Rise) and when consistently repeated there could be a 'Due Diligence' Alert sent to the Volt Owner to Contact their Volt Adviser or some such thing indicating a potential problem. Simply unplugging AC to the Portable Charger could appear different to the Volt since the Communication to the Charger would also terminate.

If it was a Safety Problem / Concern initiating the 8A Default vs Costumer Desired 8A or 12A Remembered Default - Then the Safety Solution could be applied internally to the 120VAC Portable Charger and RED LED Interrupt the Charging Cycle. Also alternatively Internally the Volt Fault Management Detection System could detect potential problems by declaring a Charge Supply Voltage Fault and Self Terminating Charging Operations by the Volt Internally and raise a Human Readable Message / Code about AC Current Causing Excess Voltage Variation when Charging.

It seems likely that it was a decision that evidently didn't involve the Experienced Engineering Team or Customer Satisfaction Team as the decision to default to a NOT Customer Configurable Defaults (8A or 12a Selectable and Remembered) didn't consider the Volt Experience as important as trying to 'Do Something better than Nothing' to avoid Wall Socket Overheating. Overheated Wall Sockets and Electrical Cord Malfunction by the way does indeed cause fires quite often. The PIA 8A Default Solution is immediately invalidated by the New Customer Default of PIA 12A Charging. Their solution isn't even due diligence if there was a Valid Safety Concern being managed. So I say that to call it a SAFETY Improvement only defaces and worries needlessly 2011/2012 Volt Owners - unless of course there is a RECALL for 2011/2012 Volts to make the New PIA 8A Default Universal. I think not.

Therefore if you use the hints above for routine Plug Resistance / Discoloration / Thermal Monitoring of the Charger AC Connectors you will reduce your likelihood of catastrophic heat induced AC Charger Supply Failures somewhat for either 12A or 8A Charging of the Volt.

I have a Volt Exit Routine that is - Foot on Brake - Shift to N - Set Parking Brake - Release Foot from Brake - Allow the Volt to Settle on my inclined drive slightly (helps avoid wear on the Park Prawl/Pin) - Shift to P - Select Leaf - Select Charging - Select 12A - Select Charger Door Button - Power Off - Exit Volt - Attach Charger - Periodically check AC Plug / Outlet for heating after 20 mins - Periodically unplug the 120VAC Charger Plug from wall Outlet to ensure it is still very tight and inspect for signs of prong fogging / dicsoloration - Rest Peacefully to relieve my PIA Experience.

Peace Out.

RScott
09-06-2012, 01:45 PM
I own a 2012 model and usually charge at 110V, 8 amps overnight, although I never detected any overheating using 12 amps. My assumption is that power losses would be lower at 8 amps and that a lower charge current would extend the life of the power cord and more importantly the HV battery.
But I could be wrong....
I'm happy to see GM set it to 8 amps for 2013 models, kind of confirming my assumptions. I suppose those who need to charge faster need to invest in a 220V charger.

Most people here say that the 12A is considered a "trickle charge" for the battery, and that going from 12A to 8A isn't going to have a noticeable effect on battery life (or power cord life). I've heard that power losses at 220V are a bit less than 120V, which would suggest a slightly smaller percentage loss at 12A than 8A.

This is strictly a liability issue (if not, hopefully the Volt Adviser will correct me). Either concerns that GM will have to pay for a house without insurance that burns down, or more likely a PR related liability issue (e.g. if they sell 10 times as many Volts, it is 10 times as likely that a news story will occur about a charging incident). Ironically, most people are going to jump through the hoops for 12A charging (I'm guessing that 16 hours is too long for most people to get a full charge). That makes it just as likely that a news story will occur (but would perhaps limit GM's liability; "Your honor, Mr. Volt Owner chose to override the default 8A setting before the fire occurred...").

Mathew Hennessy
09-06-2012, 02:21 PM
The good thing is Trevor mentioned you can change the setting while driving. So instead of taking extra time when I get home to change the setting I can just do it on the way home when I'm stopped at a light doing nothing. But would still prefer a SW update that allows us to set the default to 12A.

When you push the Charge Door Open button, you get a charging screen that already has an 'OK' prompt and it shows the estimated time to charge. I think that would be an ideal place to put an 8A/12A charge toggle, preferably updating the estimated time depending on the amperage selected.

scottf200
09-06-2012, 02:46 PM
When you push the Charge Door Open button, you get a charging screen that already has an 'OK' prompt and it shows the estimated time to charge. I think that would be an ideal place to put an 8A/12A charge toggle, preferably updating the estimated time depending on the amperage selected.

That is what I was trying to say here (previous post):

Dumb why they made it so hard to switch tho. Reuse TP for one button swap. Heck .... give me an option to say 'remind me' ... so when I push the button on the door to open the port that it may add a prompt (for the forgetful folks) just like it ask about immediate or delayed.

Mathew Hennessy
09-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Great minds, etc.

I'm just really not a big fan of all this creeping nannyism: I think the prompts from the Nav system are also pretty obnoxious. I'm a big boy and I paid for this car myself and everything, I don't need to be constantly harassed by electronic busybodies nor do I need to be protected from configuration complexity or "dangerous" defaults. Just give me an 'Advanced' config tab with all the defaults, with a single dismissal modal up front.

pjwood
09-06-2012, 05:03 PM
Dear Volt Advisor, or Melissa,

Do qualified, trained Chevrolet technicians have software for OBD, or PCM programs where access is granted, but they are not allowed to change the defaults surrounding the 8A setting?

Thank you.

ElectricBowtie
09-07-2012, 01:29 AM
Here is a picture of my discolored wall outlet after only 3 months of charging on 12A. Going to replace it tomorrow with a heavier duty one to make sure I am ok. Luckily the wiring in the wall was replaced to the panel only a few years ago in a remodel. 6992

scottf200
09-07-2012, 01:53 AM
Here is a picture of my discolored wall outlet after only 3 months of charging on 12A. Going to replace it tomorrow with a heavier duty one to make sure I am ok. Luckily the wiring in the wall was replaced to the panel only a few years ago in a remodel. Thanks for the picture and reminder. You may need to replace it "every year". Outlets specs certainly are not set based on them being plug/unplugged 1+ times per day. Compare the frequency of use to virtually every other outlet in your house (even busy ones like kitchen counter or common one used for a vacuum). Add the 80% max amps (12/15) oddity for 10+ hours.

scottf200
09-07-2012, 01:55 AM
I 100% get why they thought they had to default to 8amps. I do not get why they made switching it that many steps. Make it easy like SPORT -- click click without even looking! I'll say it again reuse the TP button or something else simple.

tboult
09-07-2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the picture and reminder. You may need to replace it "every year". Outlets specs certainly are not set based on them being plug/unplugged 1+ times per day. Compare the frequency of use to virtually every other outlet in your house (even busy ones like kitchen counter or common one used for a vacuum). Add the 80% max amps (12/15) oddity for 10+ hours.

Huh? Outlets don't discolor from plugging/unplugging. That is must be a cheap socket and/or the plug got hot.
I've been using my L1 for 12+ months and there is no discoloration at all, and I only "upgraded" to the revised L1 about 3 weeks ago.

Personally I don't unplug much at all, I trigger the "test" of the GFI to turn it off, then retset when I get home.

ElectricBowtie
09-07-2012, 10:15 AM
@tbout - yes, I have noticed the outlet hot to the touch during long runs of charging, thus the discoloration of the plastic.

fancycat
09-28-2012, 01:54 AM
Have there been any updates to this in the past few weeks? I just got my Volt and this is my prime annoyance so far.

liuping
10-15-2012, 08:13 PM
+1. The excuse given to me by the Volt advisor was 'lots' of 2011 and 2012 Volt owners complained about the default 12 amp setting.

I find that highly unlikely, given the 2011 and 2012 owners can just set the default to 8amp with the switch on the charger. Why would they complain about the default? They can set it to what ever they like. They dealer could even set it to 8 amps for them before they leave the lot.

Mathew Hennessy
10-15-2012, 08:46 PM
I personally think that Chevy wanted to prevent people from overheating their chargers and set the default to 8A on the 2013 on purpose. I know my late model 2012 charger gets pretty hot on 12A and I have started to place a small fan next to it to keep it cool when 12A charging is needed. Otherwise, I leave it on 8A if I have the time.

I really don't care what they think, I'm an adult, I have homeowner's insurance, just give me a click-thru disclaimer and be done with it.

Same goes for the bloody GPS. Why shouldn't a passenger be able to do stuff on it while in motion?

wowser123
10-16-2012, 12:03 AM
That's probably the most elegant approach right there and can be easily programmed. Push the button for the electric cap, and the center screen automatically changes to the 8 or 10 amp charging screen. BAM, done.

There are other instances in user interface design that could be greatly improved. The TUNE/SELECT button should be useful in every screen. So if I am in the Climat screen, the round button should turn the temp up or down, or maybe in every screen turning it will automatically go to the next favorite station, or pushing it will change inputs.

<<Heck .... give me an option to say 'remind me' ... so when I push the button on the door to open the port that it may add a prompt (for the forgetful folks) just like it ask about immediate or delayed>>

RScott
10-16-2012, 08:14 AM
I find that highly unlikely, given the 2011 and 2012 owners can just set the default to 8amp with the switch on the charger.

I cannot recall any Volt owners reporting here that they wanted a default to 8A. I'm not even aware of many people who use it (I used to, but never would have suggested a hard-to-override 8A default). The 2011-2012 system worked well for perhaps 99% of Volt owners, the 2013 does NOT work well for perhaps 99% of Volt owners.

The worst part is if a Volt Advisor were to tell something that was completely fabricated (either directly by him/her or passed down somehow).

EricasVolt
10-16-2012, 11:57 AM
This is a big problem and why I installed a 230v charger in my garage. If every owner calls their advisor and request a change it may happen for 2014 models.

Anyone out their working on a hack?

-JD-
11-12-2012, 04:56 AM
What are most people's typical charge times at 8A?

lesmoss
11-12-2012, 02:32 PM
What are most people's typical charge times at 8A?

Its about 14 hours. Too long to fit off peak on PGE TOU plans.

Jmaj
11-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Right now I'm visiting a house built in the 50's with 2 wire service. some of the original receptacles were replaced with 3 wire receptacles but grounds not installed. Fortunately the receptacle I plug into is close to the box so I ran a ground wire to get green lights on the charger.
Bottom line is that I'm quite content with 8 amps given the circumstances.

Darndest thing, when I use the keurig coffee machine in the kitchen the car starts honking.

dvester
11-13-2012, 04:20 AM
That's because your voltage in the house is dropping so low that the charger thinks it's being stolen and sets off the stolen charger alarm. That means you are overloading your house wiring, not a good thing. You should get an electrician to fix this problem, it could start a fire in your home.

elvis
11-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Just got my 2013. Amazing tecnology, all the more reason I can't understand how this car was so well thought out, designed and engineered, but has this totally contrived flaw in the name of safety.

As an engineer I can't believe that this design change, new for 2013 and one that affects so many people on a daily basis was made based on any actual data. My training and experience tells me this change was made based on a lack of understanding and fear of the unknown. Neither of which any engineer i know would allow to happen.

I am happy with my Volt experience so far but I am angry that this "safety" feature, with little if any merit is forced on me as a new 2013 customer with no warning or possible recourse

Mike-o-Matic
11-16-2012, 10:04 PM
Me too L2 solves all this plus gets you multiples per day with no issues.True, but also costs many folks $1-2k to get.

Personally an L1 charger at my house works just fine and fits my nightly usage pattern. I'm grateful my 2012 doesn't make me jump through the ridiculous on-screen 4-step process. It really sounds like a PITA.

ctdeng0
11-16-2012, 10:27 PM
I suspect that GM changed the setting to prevent warranty claims on the chargers. If a customer has a bad outlet they will detect it when the charger fails.

What GM should have done in my opinion is design a charger with a temperature sensor in the plug. Then when the plug got to hot turn the charge amps lower. This would then force the customer to either live with the lower charge current or fix the bad outlet.