: Rear Fog light

Victor
08-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Doesn't the US Volt have a rear fog light?

Davem9586
08-11-2012, 05:44 PM
On ours the whole light is like the bottom half of yours and is a backup light.

montgom626
08-11-2012, 09:11 PM
No, it does not. All "white" lens with no red lens.

MrEnergyCzar
08-11-2012, 10:01 PM
Why would any car have a rear fog light?

MrEnergyCzar

buckhead
08-11-2012, 11:22 PM
To improve visibility for traffic approaching from the rear in poor driving conditions such as fog, heavy rain, mist etc. Many European sedans have this feature, and I like it.

Sterling Silver
08-11-2012, 11:53 PM

MrEnergyCzar
So for people who don't know the path going forward and who reverse themselves won't have to say anmore. "Where in the fog am I?"

BAZINGA
08-12-2012, 08:20 AM

MrEnergyCzar

You've never driven or lived in Europe. That has saved my butt many times, in addition when parking on crowed streets where half of the car is on the sidewalk and the other half still on the street I could turn on the rear fog lights to prevent someone from plowing into my parked cars.

I lived in Europe for 12 years and this is a safety feature we should adopt.

montgom626
08-12-2012, 09:40 AM
I lived in Europe for 12 years and this is a safety feature we should adopt.

I have had a couple of Volvos with this feature. They required me to turn on the fog light. It was not automatic. It is not "idiot" proof. Folks in USA. would never turn it on. Great idea, wrong culture.

MrEnergyCzar
08-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Wow, I learned something new.... thanks guys..

MrEnergyCzar

gaulfinger
08-13-2012, 12:49 AM
My 2003 Mini Cooper had its European wiring (even the bulb!) but no switch to turn it on. I was able to get a retrofit kit to add the switch and use the rear fog lights. Best usage was to simulate rear brake lights for tailgaters - never got enough fog to use it for real...

Given how low it is to the ground, I doubt the tailgater effect could work if a Volt were retrofit with one.

vdiv
08-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Folks in USA. would never turn it on.

I beg to differ, people in the USA with fog lights, front or back have them on when they shouldn't and they blind oncoming or following traffic with those. Unfortunately there is no enforcement here to prevent that.

montgom626
08-13-2012, 11:31 AM
I beg to differ, people in the USA with fog lights, front or back have them on when they shouldn't and they blind oncoming or following traffic with those. Unfortunately there is no enforcement here to prevent that.
I think we need to understand that you and I are saying the same thing. Folks in the USA don't understand fog lights and do not use them correctly. They turn them on thinking it is something else. We have no enforcement because the police don't know what they are either.

maynard
08-13-2012, 07:06 PM
Most US drivers that have 1 or 2 rear fog lights leave them on all the time as they do with their front fog lights. Nothing annoys me more on a clear night than having a big SUV coming at me mith his fog lights glaring. Most don't know what the rear fogs are for.

IceTrojan
08-16-2013, 03:33 AM
So did anyone get around to retrofitting a rear fog light to a US Volt? This definitely falls under the category of "To have just to have"

2002tii
08-16-2013, 03:59 AM
please use fog lights responsibly.

Upper5Percent
08-16-2013, 04:00 AM
Doesn't the US Volt have a rear fog light?

I did find that the State of California has regulations on the matter as follows:

A vehicle may be equipped with not more than two red fog tail lamps mounted on the rear which may be lighted, in addition to the required tail lamps, only when atmospheric conditions, such as fog, rain, snow, smoke, or dust, reduce the daytime or nighttime visibility of other vehicles to less than 500 feet.

When two lamps are installed, one shall be mounted at the left side and one at the right side at the same level and as close as practical to the sides. When one lamp is installed, it shall be mounted as close as practical to the left side or on the center of the vehicle

The lamps shall be mounted not lower than 12 inches nor higher than 60 inches

The edge of the lens of the lamp shall be no closer than four inches from the edge of the
lens of any stop lamp.

A non-flashing amber pilot light that is lighted when the lamps are turned on shall be mounted in a location readily visible to the driver.

rudiger
08-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Most US drivers that have 1 or 2 rear fog lights leave them on all the time as they do with their front fog lights. Nothing annoys me more on a clear night than having a big SUV coming at me mith his fog lights glaring. Most don't know what the rear fogs are for.As proof, one need only observe one of the final versions of the old Oldsmobile Aurora. It was one of the few American cars that came equipped with rear fog lights and, as has been stated, I've yet to see one that isn't blithely being driven around with the rear fog lights brightly lit up in weather that is decidedly 'not' foggy, looking for all the world like the person driving has their foot on both the brake and accelerator.

It is aggravating since, unlike some of today's mandatory safety features, even a single rear fog light is something that would be a legitimate safety device in the US. But, as stated, the vast majority of US drivers would mindlessly drive around with their rear fog lights on 100% of the time, just like they do with the front fog lights.

chartquist
08-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Pretty sure that many European countries (Germany for sure and maybe Sweden) legally require rear fogs. When properly used, they can help cut down on the hundred-car pileups in foggy conditions on highways and autobahns.

murdoc158
08-16-2013, 03:18 PM
If anyone can find the required part numbers for the light, switch and the wiring I'd love to add this!

larry4pyro
08-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Having spent 5 years working in raining Belgium, I can tell you the rear fog lights work really well. Whether driving in fog or on the motorway in heavy rain mist kicked up by the tires, the rear fogs significantly increase the situational awarness of the vehicles ahead of you. The normal running lights just disappear, the rear fog lamps are as bright as the brake lights, but are easily distinguished because they are always on, while the brake lights blink on and off.

You can modify a US spec car for a rear fog lamp pretty easy. Just run a separate 12 volt line through a switch to the center mounted brake light and use a couple heavy duty diodes (at least 6 amps capacity) to keep the current flow separated. This will allow simultaneous brake and fog light operation, i.e., center mount light on constantly, rear tail lights operate normally. I did this years ago on a little Mazda 323 I used to drive a lot through fog prone areas. Probably not legal, but even a CHP officer told me he thought it was a good idea, before giving me a ticket for an illegal lane change.