: Remote Start and charge scheduling via ODBII?

supersonicmiked
12-18-2014, 02:46 PM
Is it possible to do a remote start and schedule a delayed start with an ODBII device, like http://www.scantool.net/obdlink-mxwf.html?gclid=CKLCvKGp0MICFaGPMgodnDQAXA ?

These are the only two features I'd use OnStar for, and I haven't had any luck with OnStar doing anything useful yet.

telveer
12-18-2014, 04:33 PM
According to the Amazon description: For supported GM models, you can control windows, door locks, and even remotely start your engine with the 3rd-party obdCANex Android app! So, remote start seems possible but delayed start may not be. But you can program delayed start from the car itself - painful to do - but it is possible without OnStar.

http://www.amazon.com/ScanTool-426101-OBDLink-Bluetooth-Diagnostic/dp/B006NZTZLQ#productDetails

canehdian
12-18-2014, 05:43 PM
In my experience, OBD stops when the car is off and the key fob leaves the range of the vehicle.
So even if you could do it, you'd have to leave the key in/under the car which may or may not be desirable for security reasons?

Could just be my module, though.
Or perhaps certain functions do still go through in that mode, just not full data transmission.

markh21518
12-18-2014, 10:13 PM
The OBDII port is active in the Volt all the time, when I remote start in the mornings I watch what is going on with torque Pro, I also can watch it charging. Pressing the lock key will give me SOC other wise SOC is not listed in torque when the car is off. Torque pro is too much fun the best $5 app I have ever bought!

canehdian
12-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Note that a remote start is 'on'
What happens if you try to read the car from a distance (I.e. more than 2m fob range) with the car off?

Mine will work for a certain time period after walking away and then stop if the fob is not in range
I've tried plugging in the OBD to monitor charging, then go inside, and torque loses connection shortly after (not Bluetooth connection, the ECU connection)

Cord
12-19-2014, 01:39 AM
At one time we had a working Windows script file that would connected to onstar and start the Volt.

When they get finished dinking about with the new changes we should ask to get it back working again.

kdbvolt
12-19-2014, 06:29 PM
I use the remotelink and myvolt.com with no problems. I use WiFi through my Comcast internet and have a surface pro and iPad. I haven't felt any need for some other work around. You say you haven't had any luck with either? What type of problems are you seeing?

ari_c
12-23-2014, 12:02 PM
The OBDII port is active in the Volt all the time, when I remote start in the mornings I watch what is going on with torque Pro, I also can watch it charging. Pressing the lock key will give me SOC other wise SOC is not listed in torque when the car is off. Torque pro is too much fun the best $5 app I have ever bought!

I've noticed the same thing. Actually Amps In and Charging Volts is available at all times, but SOC is not. I noticed if I pressed the silver door button even if I do not have a key FOB, wakes up the car and SOC is available for about a minute or so.

inspron
03-20-2015, 03:43 PM
Any update on how to remote start without an Onstar subscription? My subscription will end this month.

css28
03-20-2015, 05:28 PM
If you're within 150 ft or so you can use the remote fob.

canehdian
03-20-2015, 05:44 PM
I believe Aseras said he got into the onstar module and managed to get it to work with a different cell plan
From there, you could try to figure out what the codes are to remote start, then you'd just send a text with that code to your car's number.

In theory.

John_Hatchett
06-15-2015, 11:33 AM
OVMS (https://www.openvehicles.com/vehiclesupport)

Seems like the support for the Volt/Ampera could use some extension.

rob
06-15-2015, 12:25 PM
Any update on how to remote start without an Onstar subscription? My subscription will end this month.

Trade it for a Tesla...

Aseras
06-15-2015, 07:30 PM
It can be done. you can sniff the can-bus and figure out what commands are sent when you set scheduling times and remote start. The trick is turning on the can-bus. You'll have to probably hijack the RKE/keyfob radio and come in that way. that's the easiest way. There are a few always on modules and you need one of them to get a foot in the door.

Onstar operates by sending an encrypted text message. It's the same message every time ( from what I've tested ) for each function. If you trap that SMS message you can sms your cars cell phone number and it'll remote start via the onstar module ( provided the module is alive and has service or thinks it does )

Now you can by federal law activate onstar/cell phone service on another supported ( compatible band ) carrier. They can't stop you, the carriers will try and you'll need to find someone competent to push it through the system and bypass the BS. It'll have a phone number and minutes via the IMEI/SIM. The rest though you have to hack at by bypassing their "service". The module has an NVram that it stores whether you are subscribed or not and if you have minutes and data available. I'd would not suggest you have a trial or service active and not just solder a wire from the write pin to ground so that it cannot be overwritten and then when they deactivate your service.

canehdian
06-15-2015, 08:57 PM
I'm curious how you got the contents of that text message?
Clone the imei to a phone and disconnected your car (via fuse or whatnot) so that you could register the phone on the network?

With the new modules I would imagine there is a SIM in there you could retrieve and pop into a phone. CDMA is a bit harder but doable with some reprogramming of a donor phone

Aseras
06-16-2015, 12:15 PM
I'm curious how you got the contents of that text message?
Clone the imei to a phone and disconnected your car (via fuse or whatnot) so that you could register the phone on the network?

With the new modules I would imagine there is a SIM in there you could retrieve and pop into a phone. CDMA is a bit harder but doable with some reprogramming of a donor phone

If you have the right equipment its not hard. If you don't then you probably shouldn't be trying. You can see the onstar messages on the canbus/gmlan too.

John_Hatchett
06-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Aseras,

I am considering piecing together a
1) raspberry pi
2) usb cabled elm327 adapter connected to the ODBII port,
3) a wireless gsm/gprs wan adapter for internet connectivity,
4) httpdlite running on the raspberry pi

questions ....

can I place the appropriate commands on the can bus with the elm327 adapter?

what is the command for "remote start"?
what is the command for "cancel remote start"?
what is the command for "get battery SOC"?

Thanks!

Aseras
06-16-2015, 06:30 PM
You can do all that. I'll point you here

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aud1vACFe1cUdGM2WklKWnJQN0JqVkQwWEN5cDIzM Xc#gid=1

Mostly just capture packets, do what you want a couple times and look for patterns in the data. Decode it and you have your function after filtering out the other crap.

Nevitt33
02-26-2016, 11:35 AM
I'm curious if you ever got the raspberry pi to work. I've been tinkering with pi's for only a few months now, but have my greenhouse set up to control vents/fans based on temp sensors and text me if temps get too high or too low. I assume with that ability to text to and from the device, one could set up exactly what we're talking about. Heck, if there's nothing illegal about it, people would love to buy a plug and play version of a device like that! I'd be willing to help figure it out. CANbus sniffing it out of my league at this stage though.

My goals would be to remote start via text message, have it automatically have it text me when the charge is full, and be able to ask it to text out a current SOC and/or distance on that charge (don't know if that's even available in the data).