GM Volt Forum banner

Anyone able to negotiate Sirius / XM Lifetime?

65K views 28 replies 24 participants last post by  SOCOM 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think this no longer exists, and a few internet searches suggest that even in the Corvette forumns, people are no longer being offered Sirius Lieftime for $399, $499, or even $799.

I would like to jump on the $399. if available, but I am not sure that they offer it anymore. The volt is my first vehicle that I was able to try XM. The last time a big surge and hit on the internet was around Nov 2011.

I am wondering if anyone was able offered or asked about the offer by their XM advisors? The current offer I got was $30 for 6 months or $99 for 12 months. Which if I think about it, I do plan to keep my Volt pretty long, paying $399. is more likely than renewing after 6 months.

The rumor is that Pandora and similar internet streaming / cloud players are slowly pushing the need to pay premium services such as Sirus/XM.

-KyleH

#2 ·
I would say the rumors are correct. I had a 3 year subscription to XM in my Saturn Outlook which cost me about $325 for the 3 years. During those 3 years I may have used XM 1% of he time. Primarily to listen to my teams when I was out of market, on long road trips and that was about it. During those 3 years I had maybe 1 month worth of road trips. I got the XM app for the iPhone which solved that annoying loss of signal when I went into a tunnel or was driving through the steel canyons of Manhattan or a National forest with tall trees but I still didn't use it enou to justify the cost and they charged me extra monthly for the app. In addition to Pansora iTunes has a myriad of genre based streaming radio stations and there are many others. I listen to live and pod cast on the ESPN radio app. Most of these apps don't cost you a monthly fee and the signal is as reliable as your cell signal. They have been pushing that 6 months for $25 special on me for the past 2 years now. I explain to them that I just don't use their service enough to justify even that cost and I wasn't about to give them my credit card number to go chasing them down voicemail hell for a future reimbursement. I'll use it while I have it for free in the Volt but I don't intent to extent the service. It's not worth what they charge, it may be useful in wide open spaces not served by terrestrial radio and have weak cell signals but those places are getting fewer and fewer.

#3 ·
Oh you made a great point. There are many, many reviews online to avoid giving your credit card number to Sirius/XM. People have repeat offenses by them charging renewal fees 1 year after they cancelled the service after 1 year. For them, it comes as a shock, but their understanding is that they do it because they can.

Apparently, once your credit card information is on file, and it is set up for automatic payments, then it cannot be undone without getting another credit card number. Sounds like they are doing something fishy; regardless, very poor service.

-KyleH

#12 · (Edited)
Please Double Check this because I believe you are incorrect. I have a lifetime Sirius plan that I purchased in 2007 for a total price $399.99. Read the fine print on your contract!!! You are correct about transfering 3 times for $75, where I believe you are misinformed is that only aftermarket / portable radios can be transfered. It clearly states that OEM radios can only be transfered in cases of theft or defective units.

If you buy a VOLT, you cannot transfer the account to another Volt in 3 years. If you by a Volt and buy a portable "Sportster" Sirius that you plug into the Aux in, you can transfer that radio 3 times. I have Sirius and this is what XM/Sirius states on their website. Also, since I have Sirius, I can only transfer to another Sirius radio, I can not transfer to XM or Sirius/XM. Sirius and XM are very much divided when it comes to billing and accounts. Although they merged several years ago, there accounts are still separate and this has been a major problem for the majority of lifetime members.

This is from the Sirius / XM web site contract from May 11, 2012

9. Lifetime Subscription Plan: A "Lifetime Subscription" is one that continues for the life of the Receiver equipment. Lifetime Subscriptions are nonrefundable. The transferability of a Lifetime Subscription will depend upon whether it is associated with a home, portable, or dock & play Receiver, or whether it is associated with a Receiver installed by an automaker or an automotive dealer. “Non Automotive Receivers”: A Lifetime Subscription associated with a home, portable, or dock & play Receiver is transferable from one such Receiver to another up to a maximum of three (3) times. For each permitted transfer of a subscription from one Non Automotive Receiver to another, you will be charged a transfer fee set forth in this Agreement. “Automotive Receivers”: A Lifetime Subscription is not transferable if it is first associated with, or subsequently transferred to, a Receiver installed in a vehicle by an automaker or an automotive dealer, except in the event the original Receiver associated with that Lifetime Subscription is stolen, accidentally damaged or if, in our sole discretion, it is defective. For each permitted transfer from one Automotive Receiver to another, you will be charged a transfer fee set forth in this Agreement. No transfer fee will be charged for the transfer of a Lifetime Subscription associated with an Automotive Receiver if, in our sole discretion, the Receiver is defective. Lifetime Subscriptions are not transferable from one person to another.

#5 ·
Personally I don't think I'll ever pay for radio.Yes the sound quality is better than standard radio, but the choice of stations is pretty poor IMHO. Add to that the fact that there are so many trees around me that I lose signal for about 20% of my commute, It's really not worth it. It's only about a 15 minute drive, and I hate when the song keeps cutting in and out. If I get sick of FM radio, I'll just plug my phone in and use Pandora or Amazon Cloud player.

#7 ·
The lifetime had ended I thought, but it looks like it's back. I have loaded up the Volt HDD and my Iphone for when my XM ends. The XM traffic is very sproadic and not worth it. I can stream things from my phone that I can't even get on XM (certain college games)..

Jason

#8 ·
I don't use XM for music, plenty on my flash drive. However, being a news junkie I really like being able to get MSNBC in my Volt.

#9 ·
I listen to the news stations as well, but I cannot stand the commercials that XM splices in during the station breaks. I also listen to NPR Now, Jazz Standards, sometimes Classical, and soon to be the Pink Floyd channel.

Honestly the real reason why I kept XM on my previous car and why I would keep it on the Volt is that I do not like features that are not working in my car :) Also I'd use the NavTraffic service as imperfect as it may be. So XM got me by the, you know what.

#10 ·
I personally do not think I will be doing another 800 mile drive alone, but I can say that XM kept me entertained when I drove my Volt home. I had 4 gigs of songs loaded on a flash drive, but there were only so many hours that I could listen to it.

That is why I am interested for $5/month or lifetime rates. However, I do not think the XM technlogy can last too long. Once the mobile carriers find a way to provide truely "unlimited" data, there would be no reason to pay for radio with all of the internet bands, podcasting, streaming, and broadcasting.

I guess XM can standout with programming....but, I think there are just a limited types of "howard stern"-like programming that would encourage people to pay to listen. However, I think I prefer to listen to advertisers than to pay, though.

-KyleH

#11 ·
XM could be much better than it is. They advertise that their music stations are commercial free but they do a lot of advertising on them for other XM stations. I'd rather there be no talk at all and just get the artist info from the display on my radio.

#16 ·
XM could be much better than it is.
You got that right, in fact they WERE better than they are now. That is, until they merged with Sirius. In their misguided effort to eliminate "redundant" content, they killed off some really good stations. XM-12, "Cross Country," comes to mind.

#13 ·
if you had a lifetime, why would you not set it, and just forget about it? Then, let the future owners of the car enjoy a free xm setup?

Sounds like that there is little motivation to update the lifetime radio in a car if you cannot transfer it. So, my question is why would anyone bother cancelling the lifetime--they can add it as a perk when trying to sell it.

Is there any motivation or reason to cancel a lifetime XM if you will not be able to transfer it to another device?

-KyleH

#14 ·
Thanks 2013 Volt. Text of the agreement certainly does differ from what the representative told me. I did request a hard paper receipt and terms associated with the transaction, which I have yet to receive. Will follow up on this misinformation disinformation from XM.

Your point about the portable unit takes on a lot more significance in light of what you have uncovered.

#17 ·
I've got Sirius in my truck and every year around renewal time I call them up and play Let's Make A Deal. I think I'm on my 4th year of paying only $80 instead of the usual $175 annual fee.

Of course now that I'm getting a Volt, I'm wondering about what I'm going to do. The Volt comes with XM, and I don't think you can have both brands under one account (the post-merger Sirius/XM is even more convoluted here in Canada) I guess I'll see which company wants my buisness more... Maybe they'll offer free radios or something. The reason I originally chose Sirius is because their reception is much better in the mountains here since there's usually 1 of the 3 satellites directly overhead. XM satellites are geo-stationary above the equator.

#18 ·
My experiences with XM/Sirius and streaming from Pandora, etc.

I have been an lifetime subscriber of Sirius since 2004. I have since sold this vehicle but left the subscription active so my second Sirius reciever would be treated as an add on to the account. Since XM and Sirius billing does not coordinate, it makes it difficult to get a good XM deal.
I do always use "Shop Safe" which issues a temporary number through my Bank of America CC.

I prefer Sirius, mainly because it rarely drops out. 3 Sats are better than 2. And since the radio reception in the Volt is so bad, I want the XM. But may move my portable Sirius to the Volt this year.

Those of you that use your phone, just be aware that Verizon has already figured out a way to stop unlimited data when you renew to a 4G phone. So just know that day is coming. http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=10446
And I am sure AT&T has done the same.

#20 ·
If anyone is interested, I have a NEW Sirius or XM lifetime subscription that I can sell for $380.

This is for a lifetime subscription for the Premier Plus package for a Sirius (or XM) radio. This is a new subscription and not transferred from another account. Price includes all royalty fees and taxes.

Premier Plus package description:
http://www.siriusxm.com/subscriptions/packages/sxm/sxmpremier

With the subscription, I can also offer you lifetime internet access for $15 additional.

Please email if interested or if you have any questions.

#22 · (Edited)
The "Queen Mum" you referred to has been dead for years. Queen Elizabeth II is not the Queen Mother. When her father died from cancer, her mother was given that title. Elizabeth II is The Queen. She is also a mother. Btw, Americans seem to go all gooey over The Royals when they visit, so it isn't just us Canadians.

#23 ·
Hey guys,

I keep noticing everywhere on vehicle discussion boards, xm discussion boards etc, there is a lot of talk about xm lifetime subscriptions and the demand for siriusxm to bring them back.

How much of a demand is there for this in your opinion, and if you had a chance, would you buy it?

I personally work for SiriusXM and we are provided 4-6 lifetime subscriptions for family/friends on a month to month basis. Now i dont personally have a lot of family which is interested in siriusxm because we are canada based and a lot of the fame for xm is usa based in my opinion.

So pretty much if anybody is looking to get a hold of these, im thinking about providing them to people here on the boards if they want to go with that instead of paying 128 or 150 a year for a general xm subscription . If you think it's something you want to inquire about, feel free to call me or text message me at +1-647-463-2705 .

Im even more-so interested in how much demand there is for these in the market because if so many reps are getting the lifetime subs monthly to give out or sell, why not create a store for selling them . Just trying to get some feedback here and help out those who keep inquiring about it of course.

In any case, i look forward to hearing from everyone.

Derik Singam
Sirius Sales Representative
+1-647-463-2705
"Providing a 'Serius' hand to the community"
Contact me for more information on getting your hands on the Lifetime Subscriptions being given out to employees. Thanks.

#25 ·
Sirius XM Lifetime Membership (Canada)

Hi Derik,

I was wondering if you still had Sirius XM Canada lifetime memberships available? If so, how does it work? I have a Sirius XM radio in my vehicle and have been considering the lifetime membership for a while now but remembered that they discontinued this a long time ago.

Thanks in advance for the reply.

Dan.

#24 · (Edited)
I, too, read this thread and wonder why I would pay to get XM past my 3 months evaluation. Frankly, I'm listening to only 3 or 4 radio stations out of the zillions which are almost all US targeted (Yes, I'm from Canada). But you know what, on top of the 3 or 4 radio stations, what would trigger it for me is the NavTraffic apps ... if only it would work and if XM would let me try it more than 2 days after getting on the phone (and my dealer) for 4 or 5 times !

What's funny is that a salesrep called me when I was getting problem to activate the NavTraffic app and he didn't know about it or didn't care because he was very interested in selling me 2 months before the end of the evaluation period a super deal of 2$ something a month to get 200+ radios which I don't care and ever want to listen to.

In summary, my customer experionce with XM has been way down below par. Funny thing is that I only get voice alert about construction zone, no more traffic. Go figure...

#28 ·
#29 ·
I had a XM Life time subscription I purchased in 2009 for a Honda Civic. I was told when I bought it I could transfer 3 times for $75.00. They let me transfer it yesterday on a new 2013 Volt. I lost my 3 mont free trial but was glad they did this. I had asked last year and was told it was not possible. Now they can combine multiple XM and Sirius accounts into one account. Good deal I paid around $370.00 back in 2009.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.