: Airport Parking - How long to plug-in with Volt 120 EVSE?

Frugger
05-25-2012, 12:51 AM
I've got a business trip leaving Monday returning on Saturday and I'll be leaving my Volt at the airport (Richmond - no charging stations). It's about 60 miles from me so I'm thinking about trying to find a 110V socket in the parking garage and plugging in while I'm gone. I've already assembled the EVSE anti-theft kit so hopefully it won't be stolen, but has anyone else plugged in and left their car for multiple days in a public location? I figure overnight at a hotel or the office is probably not an issue, but not sure about 6 days in a public garage.

Any advice?

Thanks!

Drathen
05-25-2012, 01:05 AM
You could see if security (assuming there is a security detail) will unplug your car the next day and put the charger inside. You could use Remotelink to unlock your car so they can put the charger inside, then lock it.

Outside of that I don't think I'd be comfortable leaving my car connected to the 120v charger in public for that long of time, even with the anti-theft. What if someone trips over the cord and sues you?

Cord
05-25-2012, 04:25 AM
I would just bite the bullet and drive home on gas. The car will be fine. You might want to use MM mode so the car does have some charge while at the airport. The car will power down any onstar access after (was it 3days?) no need for MM on the way home.

ronk
05-25-2012, 08:06 AM
I wouldn't do it.

dax777
05-25-2012, 08:19 AM
I would vote no on leaving your charge cord for the long, they are a bit pricey, around $450 I believe...have a safe trip...

Dan & Nan
05-25-2012, 08:20 AM
I wouldn't do it either, I'd drive on gas home or find a L2 when I arrived. L2 seems to be fairly plentiful up there.

What's this EVSE anti-theft kit?
http://daryllafferty.com/CableLock.jpg
I'd add that.

Good luck.

Victor C
05-25-2012, 10:34 AM
Not worth the vandalism risk. Agree, use MM, and use a little gasoline. Remember this is an extended range EV with gasoline generation not a pure battery electric like the Leaf, so we don't need to always charge up. Enjoy using it with the flexibility that was designed into the Volt. As Lutz would say--We are all driving the coolest car on the planet-- so far.

Victor C
2012 Red Volt #4879

tboult
05-25-2012, 01:19 PM
I would not risk it. Not just that someone could steel the EVSE, but also that there could be problems (e.g. charge interrupted, and if its locked and someone tries to unplug the wall end horn it still goes off). And someone who feels you are steeling electricity could just key your car.

You might check with some of the "off airport" car parks, who might be willing to do it and make it official so there is less risk of

I make lots of airport runs and denver has one lot that has EV, its nominally free to charge, but need to be in their "covered" parking for which they charge 2x. I bought the Volt so I would not have range anxiety.. no need to put up with gouging.

And people above suggested I put my car in mountain mode when I leave home.. and then switch to EV for the low-speed stop/go around the airport, park it with about 10-15 miles of battery level and then use EV for the are around the airport on the way home. I've done my 130 mile airport round-trip that way and averaged 80mpg+. what other car can do 130 miles and average that? (Well, a roadster could..)

Chevy Volt, its more freedom than electric.