: Won't shift into park or low

Volt_Wife
03-18-2012, 01:35 PM
I got in the car today, started it as normal, drove a mile. When I tried to shift into PARK, I couldn't. I also noticed I couldn't shift into LOW either. I came back home, put it into neutral and then set the parking brake. Then, I put some wood in front of the front wheels and turned off the parking brake. It's in "ACC" like mode right now. Two screens are on, and I had to turn the radio off, or it would still be playing. I decided to leave it unplugged.

Roadside assistance was willing to tow it and store it until tomorrow when the dealerships open open, but I decided to wait for Volt Husband to get home and manage things. The Volt technicians didn't have any solutions that would allow me to reset it.

Has anyone else seen this type of activity on their car? Were you able to solve it yourself?

saghost
03-18-2012, 01:57 PM
I haven't heard of this before. Not being able to shift into L is especially odd, since it isn't linked in any fashion. You should be able to turn the car off with either a double press (hit the power button twice in 5 seconds) or a long hold (I think it's 5 seconds.) These are the emergency shutdowns - they bypass the "in park with the brake on" logic.

It the check engine light on? If so, talk to Onstar - they can give you codes and a recommendation. This is definitely a "take it to the dealer" situation...

Volt_Wife
03-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks. I feel like I've tried the double press, and it just seemed to run the car on, and I think I've held it for 5 seconds. Do you know if the brake should be pressed when I double press or hold for 5 seconds?

saghost
03-18-2012, 02:17 PM
It's not supposed to require the brake, but it can't hurt anything to try it.

Volt_Wife
03-18-2012, 02:30 PM
I tried with brake and without, the double press and the 5 second press, just now. It still seems to be in that auxiliary mode (like ACC in an ignition car). I'm being denied access to park and low, still.

If it was my phone, I'd take the battery out and put it back in. If it was my computer, I'd hit ctrl-alt-del. But, it's a car!

solar_dave
03-18-2012, 02:32 PM
If you are going to park it in ACC hook up the charger as it can run flat over night, on the charger you will be able to drive it in the morning.

saghost
03-18-2012, 02:39 PM
If it was my phone, I'd take the battery out and put it back in. If it was my computer, I'd hit ctrl-alt-del. But, it's a car!

It still has ways to do that... If you pull the MSD in the center console (Open the center console, pull up the bottom, there's a orange plug under some insulation there that should pull straight up,) and then remove the battery ground cable (the 12V battery is under the rear load floor - once you open the floor, you'll see the sections as marked,) you should cut off all possible power to the car.

WopOnTour
03-18-2012, 02:59 PM
I got in the car today, started it as normal, drove a mile. When I tried to shift into PARK, I couldn't. I also noticed I couldn't shift into LOW either. I came back home, put it into neutral and then set the parking brake. Then, I put some wood in front of the front wheels and turned off the parking brake. It's in "ACC" like mode right now. Two screens are on, and I had to turn the radio off, or it would still be playing. I decided to leave it unplugged.

Roadside assistance was willing to tow it and store it until tomorrow when the dealerships open open, but I decided to wait for Volt Husband to get home and manage things. The Volt technicians didn't have any solutions that would allow me to reset it.

Has anyone else seen this type of activity on their car? Were you able to solve it yourself?Sounds like either a mechanical problem with the transmission shifter cable and/or associated linkage or the shifter mechanical mechanism itself as opposed to some sort of electrical problem. (although I suppose it COULD be some sort of odd failure in the transmission shifter brake interlock, but not very likely as this would typically result in not being able to shift OUT of Park) Can you get Reverse?
Havnt heard this one before. If it were in my driveway I would simply "pop" the shifter cable off the shift shaft lever on the top of the trans, and see if it would then go into Park. HOWEVER access to that "zone" necessitates a complete high-voltage disabling first!

Unfortuately it will probably need to visit a dealer (not sure of your proximity) and with you not able to put it in Park it's going to stay powered "ON"
Have you contacted your Volt Advisor yet???
WOT

Volt_Wife
03-18-2012, 03:08 PM
Well, I called onstar and talked to some Volt technical people. I think I spoke to 3 techs and 3 onstar people and one roadside assistance person. Do I have a personal Volt Adviser? It really is my husband's car. I just drive it sometimes.

Mybatcar
03-18-2012, 03:15 PM
It really is my husband's car. I just drive it sometimes.

That might be the last time you get to drive it...... Ah just kiddin !
Good luck, it's the first reported problem of its kind on these boards.....please let us know the final diagnosis and the fix .

Volt_Wife
03-18-2012, 03:24 PM
That might be the last time you get to drive it...... Ah just kiddin !

Yep, I've already thought about that.

Ohm
03-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Volt_Husband here. Indecently enough, I was out breaking our ATV while she was home breaking the car. As long as she lets me continue to drive the ATV, I don't see any reason to restrict Volt access at this time.

I did plug it in (Figuring the battery will die overnight seeing as how it's still somewhat "on", but it doesn't allow charging unless you're in park! I'm sure it's for our own good. I'm thinking we need to get it to the dealer sooner rather than later - let them deal with the dead battery issue.

Driverguy01
03-18-2012, 05:22 PM
wont the ice come on when battery dies??? The car needs to be parked outside if it is sttill on. Weird the fact that the kill switch wont work, and i would even dare to say scary! Only on thing i want to work when i need it on this car no matter what IS the kill switch and if it doesnt in this situation then, its useless. IMHO this is the most severe problem in your whole story, the cable may be broken and easely fixable but that panic button malfuction is unacceptable, period.

saghost
03-18-2012, 05:27 PM
wont the ice come on when battery dies??? The car needs to be parked outside if it is sttill on. Weird the fact that the kill switch wont work, and i would even dare to say scary! Only on thing i want to work when i need it on this car no matter what IS the kill switch and if it doesnt in this situation then, its useless. IMHO this is the most severe problem in your whole story, the cable may be broken and easely fixable but that panic button malfuction is unacceptable, period.

In principle, I agree with this. But we don't know what is going on yet. I'm hoping we'll learn more about this situation. I honestly didn't think there was any situation that could override the power button, and I still don't understand how or why the car can be locked out of L.

Mybatcar
03-18-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm thinking about this purely mechanical for a moment. With 'PARK' and 'L' unselectable, the common denominator seems to be as simple as restricted travel at opposite ends of the 'lever'.......what's down there ?

Ohm
03-18-2012, 05:53 PM
Dropped it off at the dealer and got the following errors on the way:
Service Stabilitrack
Service Brake Assist
Service Charging System (Or something close to that message)

Additionally, I had no power or regen brakes the whole way - really had to step on that pedal to stop!

I thought about calling OnStar to get the codes, but didn't have anything to write with anyway. I'm sure the dealer will figure it out.

And as for the car "not shutting off" - it isn't that bad. The car goes into "off" mode - but since it's not in Park, it refuses to shut off the monitors - so instead, it stays in Accessory-on mode with a message on the screen of "Shift to Park". I'm sure anyone with a normal car can replicate this by turning the car off when still in Neutral. It also constantly tells you it can't find the remote when you turn the car off while in neutral and remove the keys from the car. I have no doubt the 12v battery will be dead by the time the dealer sees it tomorrow.

Fulgerite
03-18-2012, 05:55 PM
I am really sorry to hear about your trouble. Please keep us posted on what the dealer finds.

DonC
03-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Sorry to hear about the problem. Taking it to the dealer was a good, no make that great, idea. Hopefully you'll have it back shortly.

Logical_Thinker
03-19-2012, 01:06 AM
Glad you got it to the dealer. They can always jump the 12V battery if need be. But now the issue is in their hands.

Roadburner440
03-19-2012, 10:39 AM
Certaintly an interesting problem, and almost scary in that it affected the regen & friction brakes/Stabilitrak. Luckily the Volt has the backup manual hydraulic connection so that you are able to stop. Definately have to let us know what happens with this. I imagine that the linkage got caught or hung up somewhere. Something may have been left during assembly in the center console. Good to hear you got it to a dealer safely at least.

DJWilson2
03-19-2012, 10:57 AM
Thanks. I feel like I've tried the double press, and it just seemed to run the car on, and I think I've held it for 5 seconds. Do you know if the brake should be pressed when I double press or hold for 5 seconds?

I know for certain that you do not need to be pressing on the brake to kill the car by double pressing the power button as I did just that while accelerating and thinking I was was switching into Mountain Mode. Imagine my horror of accelerating down onto a road with cars behind me and suddenly losing power. :(

Chevrolet Customer Svc
03-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Sorry to hear about this Ohm. We have been made aware of this from our end and we will keep an eye on it! Your Volt Advisor will be in contact with you to provide you with updates.

Ohm
03-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Sorry to hear about this Ohm. We have been made aware of this from our end and we will keep an eye on it! Your Volt Advisor will be in contact with you to provide you with updates.

Indeed he has - thank you very much! He was already in contact with the dealership discussing the problem this morning, and promised to follow up with me again this afternoon. It's nice to know someone knowledgeable is on the case!

Ohm
03-19-2012, 03:35 PM
Both the dealership and the Volt Adviser called - they're saying the shifter assembly needs to be replaced, and have one scheduled to arrive tomorrow. It apparently caused a low voltage condition, which took out the Break Assist and Intellitrack functions. The adviser said he's never heard of the actual assembly failing before, though they have replaced an assembly before because of the plastic around it breaking.

Does anyone have a diagram of this assembly they could share? I sure am curious how it could break in such a way as to allow R, N, and D, but prevent P and L.

Roadburner440
03-19-2012, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the update Ohm.. Is interesting. I am with you as it is confusing that it wouldn't allow P or L, but all the ranges inbetween. Somewhat odd too that it would cause a low voltage condition. Must not be as mechanical as we thought? Hopefully someone is able to get that diagram for us. I know there is a site you can buy 24 hour access to the maintenance pubs online, but the name escapes me at the moment. I am sure that someone will chime in with it.

mhoepfin
03-19-2012, 07:38 PM
I know for certain that you do not need to be pressing on the brake to kill the car by double pressing the power button as I did just that while accelerating and thinking I was was switching into Mountain Mode. Imagine my horror of accelerating down onto a road with cars behind me and suddenly losing power. :(

Wait what? You can turn off the car while driving down the road? No way....

saghost
03-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Wait what? You can turn off the car while driving down the road? No way....

Way. It's important, in case something were to go badly wrong (like those Priuses last year...) I don't recommend doing it casually, but it's there if you need it, and designed to match how people react in emergencies (panicked repeated pushing.)

mhoepfin
03-19-2012, 08:35 PM
Way. It's important, in case something were to go badly wrong (like those Priuses last year...) I don't recommend doing it casually, but it's there if you need it, and designed to match how people react in emergencies (panicked repeated pushing.)

So do the brakes stop working, do you coast, power steering, etc? Still can't believe this.

saghost
03-19-2012, 08:39 PM
So do the brakes stop working, do you coast, power steering, etc? Still can't believe this.

IIRC, the brakes drop to the accumulator and the power steering dies. The accumulator will give power boost to the brakes for a couple applications.

It's like any other car you turn off on the road - you can do this with *any* car, and the results are about the same... (Nissan uses an ultra-capacitor to provide the standby brake power for the Leaf.)

Fulgerite
03-19-2012, 08:41 PM

ALL cars have a way to shut off the engine while you are driving. It is a requirement of the department of transportation regulations. The Volt is not exempt from DOT laws. And... Your brakes and steering are REQUIRED to function without any power. (Although it will require more effort without power assist.)

markie
03-19-2012, 09:11 PM
Sorry i may have missed something in the previous posts but did you eventually turn the car off?

Can someone explain why the car was not able to be turned off with the double press or single hold?

Ohm
03-19-2012, 11:57 PM
The car turned "off", but I never got the screens to turn off. Apparently unless you have it in Park, it will forever stay on (the screens and radio stack, that is) and tell you to put it in park (and remind you to return the keys if you remove them). Perhaps that's the reason for the "low voltage scenario" I encountered on the way to the dealership - though I would have thought the break assist and Intellitrack wouldn't have anything to do with the 12v system. The car still had 25+ miles electric range, so I know (or at least think) it wasn't the HV system.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
03-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Hi Ohm,

I went ahead and checked with your VA, Kevin, and he will be getting in touch with the dealer later today to check on the status of the incoming shifter assembly and the progress of the repair.

Ohm
03-20-2012, 04:31 PM
Dealership called and said it's all back together and ready for pickup. They said it was missing a retainer clip, and as far as they could tell, it never had one put on from the factory. Although they were able to put one on yesterday and had it working, GM requested they replace the entire assembly to ensure there were no additional problems.

saghost
03-20-2012, 04:34 PM
Although they were able to put one on yesterday and had it working, GM requested they replace the entire assembly to ensure there were no additional problems.

Great to hear! (Though I'm still not sure if I understand the whole fault situation.) Stories like this (replace the assembly to be sure) are the clearest proof that GM is still firmly committed to the Volt and to making the experience memorable.

Sharkonwheels
03-20-2012, 10:20 PM
THat's awesome "missing a clip, but replace it all just-in-case" is a good answer.

GM - that's why I'm still around. Bought my first new American car in March 2009 (2009 Cobalt SS/Turbo) chose Chevrolet at that point, and now the Volt.
I still feel the Cobalt was a great decision, and feel no less about my Volt.

When this summer rolls around, and I'm driving past gas stations laughing at the suckers, I'll feel even better about this decision!

bill06840
03-26-2012, 06:12 AM
Same thing happened to us yesterday. Wouldn't shift into Park or Low or even turn off. Fortunately after "tweaking" buttons got car to move and drove it to dealers lot. Volt advisor said to lock it and leave it as is saying both high voltage and 12 volt batteries would run down over night. We love the car and hope it's a glitch any new car whether EV or ICE could have.

Ohm
03-26-2012, 09:13 AM
Sorry to hear that bill. I'm curious though - what buttons did you have to tweak? Ours was seemingly always ready to go.

It's interesting to see that they only fail (100% of the time, I believe!) when the dealer is closed. I assume it gets the shop hours from OnStar before deciding to stop working.

Chevrolet Customer Svc
03-26-2012, 12:05 PM
@ bill06840,

Very sorry to hear you are going through something similar. Which dealer did you leave your Volt at? We will keep an eye on this issue as well from our end.

MIN FUEL
03-26-2012, 12:48 PM
I had the same problem with my Volt. The dealer replaced the shift handle assembly and the problem has not reappeared. He showed me the old shift handle and you could see a slight problem with the plastic casting that was not allowing the mechanical assembly to work properly.

aarakal
03-15-2014, 05:58 PM
I'm having this problem now. 2012 Volt. Unable to shift into Park and unable to shift into L, stuck in acc mode, etc. I'm out of warranty with my vehicle now - have almost 44,000 miles. Does anyone know if there is a recall with this or will all volt owners have to expect this to happen?

somms
03-15-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm having this problem now. 2012 Volt. Unable to shift into Park and unable to shift into L, stuck in acc mode, etc. I'm out of warranty with my vehicle now - have almost 44,000 miles. Does anyone know if there is a recall with this or will all volt owners have to expect this to happen?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CHEVROLET-GM-OEM-20893008-Center-Console-Shifter-Assembly-/141138190262

If it turns out to be a common Volt issue, at least the shifter assy isn't too expensive of a fix!;)

Chevrolet Customer Svc
03-20-2014, 05:24 PM

Good Evening aarakal,

I apologize to hear you are having a concern with your Volt. There are no recalls on the Volt. If you would like to PM me the last eight of your Volt's VIN and the best contact method for you, I would be happy to have an Advisor reach out to you.

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service