: Was I taken advantage of? Should I do something about it?

notaguru
02-19-2012, 10:38 PM
We bought the car 30 days ago at almost full price, BUT:

We had received a voucher offering a $1,000 "loyalty discount," and traded in a GM car (bought at the same dealership). As the paperwork was being completed, the sales manager said "The voucher should have said up to $1,000. It's $250 for the Volt." Bad enough, but that's not the biggest problem.

I bought the car, and just a few days ago heard that others have received as much as $5,000 discount on the early 2012s due to a forthcoming HOV version. If that's true, my dealer had to know about it. Since I'm in CA, the single-occupant HOV capability is important!

That dealer has been somewhat disappointing in other ways. The car had 187 miles on it, was poorly prepared (tire pressure, dirty engine compartment, missing items, etc.), and no one at the dealership understood how to count up to 240. When we drove away we were on our own, and had it not been for this forum we would still be in the wilderness.

One other thing. When I first visited that dealer, I saw a white Volt (my color of choice) with black interior. When I asked about a tan leather interior, I was told that leather comes only in black. A week ago I saw a white one with a tan interior.

My question - obviously - is whether I should dilute our otherwise satisfying new car experience by going after the dealer. And, if so, how?

In retrospect, perhaps this should have been posted in another section... sorry.

MTN Ranger
02-19-2012, 11:38 PM
While it is frustrating to hear of the deals and discounts going on now, these discounts are entirely dependent on the dealer. GM has not discounted or offered any cash back in that amount. This is part of the negotiation process. From the sounds of your description, you should have talked to other dealerships and done a little more research. All information about the Volt can be found on the Chevy website (and this website). And as a matter of experience, for the last four cars I have purchased, I have relied exclusively on the Internet and not once on a salesperson's knowledge or advice.

Sorry to hear that you have had a negative buying experience.

Kacey Green
02-19-2012, 11:45 PM
I used the owner loyalty too, only $250 for Volts, I'm pretty sure our demo volt has tan leather but I don't see it often enough to be sure.

Jim I
02-20-2012, 08:30 AM
It is done now, so forget the dealer and enjoy the car.....

But I would look for another dealer for service!

JMHO

C-5277

davidbrannon
02-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Well, the lawyer in me would say that the law is esentially buyer beware and there's not much you can do to FORCE the dealer to do anything. However, like the reputations of lawyers, car salesmen do not fair much better. I advise clients all the time who want to make a point never to do so while paying a lawyer. Make a business decision. If you want to do something, write a letter to the dealer and then suggest you will file suit in small claims court (if you have something like that--here, it's $3,000 max that can be recovered) for misrepresentation or fraud. The dealer then has a problem. Small claims court is not meant for lawyers and you go in and tell the judge your story. It will be a public record and make the dealer look bad. It will also cause them to hire a lawyer themselves (as a company cannot be represented by an owner unless it's a sole propriortorship). They also run the risk of you winning. Here, it costs about $35 to file. If you're that steamed, go for it. Otherwise, I agree with the sentiments above, find a new dealer.

davewilks
02-20-2012, 09:13 AM
Put all of the details of your purchase on this thread: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?6912-quot-Good-quot-dealer-list

At least future buyers will have some information on the practices of this dealer.

firebirdbandit
02-20-2012, 09:43 AM
Write dealer reviews on Google, dealer rater and others. Don't do any further business with them. Enjoy your new car!

Henry_FL
02-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Take it a lesson learned, and next time you buy a car, research the purchase and know going in what you will pay, what the true dealer costs are, what the rebates are ect. The dealer is in business to make as much money as legally possible, that's their only interest.

Mike McG
02-20-2012, 11:17 AM
Ditch that dealer, they are just trying to clear the non HOV volts out, especially in CA.

MsKitty4
02-20-2012, 12:11 PM
Sorry to hear of your problems. Just to confirm, yes, you can get white with tan interior. We ordered our 2012 that way and received it that way. It's pretty handsome.

Fulgerite
02-20-2012, 12:15 PM
General Motors does have a "problems and complaint department - Customer Assistance Center" I had a problem with a Buick Dealer in the past and they were able to negotiate a settlement with the dealer on my behalf.

Toll free: 1-800-222-1020

Or write them a formal letter of complaint:

Customer Assistance Center
PO Box 33170
Detroit, MI 48232-5170

dwl
02-20-2012, 01:59 PM
If I had done a little more research and was a little more experienced with buying new vehicles, I probably could have gotten a bit of a better deal than I did. And I was quoted some incorrect facts to try to get me to buy. It didn't affect my decision and I don't think that I was knowingly lied to. I just think they weren't very familiar with the vehicles and available incentives.

But the sale is over. It's done. Nothing I can do about it and I'll be smarter next time due to it.

I also didn't really enjoy dealing with my salesman post-sale. So I just found a dealer with better service hours, a larger operation and they're a little closer too. So no big deal there.

Toasty
02-20-2012, 05:12 PM
We bought the car 30 days ago at almost full price, BUT:

We had received a voucher offering a $1,000 "loyalty discount," and traded in a GM car (bought at the same dealership). As the paperwork was being completed, the sales manager said "The voucher should have said up to $1,000. It's $250 for the Volt." Bad enough, but that's not the biggest problem.

In retrospect, perhaps this should have been posted in another section... sorry.

Almost same thing happen to me, i tried to use the $1000 off (Private Offer) from the chevy.com website, and was told its not valid..

my car was missing all (4) floor mats.
my tail lights have condensation
my drive-side door LEAKS water during rain.
and you have to press some buttons over and over before it responds.
and today the onstar lady tells me to hang up and call again, because her system is down.

I'm still sore,

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51V27YG5CSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Chevrolet Customer Svc
02-20-2012, 05:30 PM
@ notaguru,

Sorry for your experience at your dealer. The tan interior can indeed be ordered with a white Volt. Also, MTN Ranger is correct, these discounts are entirely dependent on the dealer. I'll will be sure to pass your concerns along. Send me a message or an email with the name of your selling dealer.

Rusty
02-20-2012, 06:38 PM
If you want to do something, write a letter to the dealer and then suggest you will file suit in small claims court (if you have something like that--here, it's $3,000 max that can be recovered) for misrepresentation or fraud.

Small claims limit is $10,000 in California I believe.

And if the dealer told you the option you wanted wasn't produced (black and tan, for example) then you may be able to press a case for fraud in the inducement.

In any case, the dealer is really not likely to want to face small claims if they can avoid it, and you have nearly nothing to lose if you've already decided to terminate your long term service association with that dealer (and I sure as h*ll would!).

MTN Ranger
02-21-2012, 12:13 AM
my car was missing all (4) floor mats.
my tail lights have condensation
my drive-side door LEAKS water during rain.
and you have to press some buttons over and over before it responds.
and today the onstar lady tells me to hang up and call again, because her system is down.

Did your dealer order the mats yet?
I have heard problems with the light housing getting condensation. I saw your post in that thread. I would get the dealer to replace them.
This is the first I have heard of interior water leaking, is it getting in through the window or some other seal?
Getting used to the touch buttons to work took me a week or so, now I don't have any problems.