: Allergies: Need Air Recirculate Option Always On

blueiris
01-14-2012, 08:04 PM
Hi. I'm a brand new volt owner (16 days and counting). I have allergies such that breathing in things like smoke, pollution, pollen, exhaust (small particulates in the air) give me migraines. Therefore I always need to have the air recirculate while driving

However, I've had no luck with the climate controls so far. In my Prius (and the two Honda's before that), I could set it to always recirculate air and forget about it unless I defrost or something. My experience in the Volt is every time I turn the car off, the setting resets to draw air in from the outside. Every. Single. Time. I'm getting really frustrated.

I specifically asked about the air recirculation before I purchased. The manager was kind enough to do a test where he started a Volt, turned on air recirculation and then turned the car off. When he turned the car on, air recirculation was still selected. I realize now, that was probably due to the air conditioning being on. Seeing as its January, I have no need for air conditioning right now (even in Phoenix).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

saghost
01-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Under the glove box is a cage for an A/C filter, but the car ships without one. I don't know if the factory filter is sufficient to stop your allergies, or if you can put a HEPA filter in without creating too much flow blockage, but hopefully it'll help. Your dealer will have or can order the filter.

Henry_FL
01-14-2012, 08:36 PM
I think what you are seeing is if you select "auto climate" button on the console it then puts the recirculate in auto mode.

Go into the climate page and select the recirculate above the auto recirculate and it will keep that even if you power on and off. I just verified it in mine

If you manually futz with the fan ( turns off auto mode ), and then go back to auto climate, you have to put the recirculate back in manual, hope that explains it

Cord
01-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Is here a way to know the status of "letting in outside air" with recirculate in auto mode.

Unless I turn on the fan i can't detect the flow of outside air even after futz with all the climate buttons.

Thanks again for the filter tip.

blueiris
01-14-2012, 09:59 PM
@saghost @Henry_FL
Thanks for the suggestions.
I believe I am using the manual recirculation button (just under the seat heater icon). But it is disappointing that setting air recirculation is so complicated. I'm used to setting it and being able to turn the fan or A/C on/off as needed with no problem.

@Cord
Unfortunately I can tell that air recirculation is off by the smell of exhaust. I'm really sensitive to it. Other times migraine sensitive areas start to tingle indicating there's an irritant of some sort in the vicinity.

ClarksonCote
01-15-2012, 12:29 AM
@saghost @Henry_FL
Thanks for the suggestions.
I believe I am using the manual recirculation button (just under the seat heater icon). But it is disappointing that setting air recirculation is so complicated. I'm used to setting it and being able to turn the fan or A/C on/off as needed with no problem.

@Cord
Unfortunately I can tell that air recirculation is off by the smell of exhaust. I'm really sensitive to it. Other times migraine sensitive areas start to tingle indicating there's an irritant of some sort in the vicinity.

If you set it from the climate config page instead of the main climate screen, it will retain the setting you chose, as Henry pointed out. Have you tried that yet?

Cord
01-15-2012, 01:38 AM
Mine is Ragweed- but no advance notice by smell.

I wonder if some of the setting problems on selections is the colors used for on/off- selected / not selected.

I am sure a good deal of planning went into the colors on the graphic screen as 8% of males have some kind of color deficiency. (0.5% female).

But almost every time I look - I have to stop and think is that on or off.

I also don't know the parameters of inside -outside temperature or humidity that controls the automatic selection of the outside air vent.

Others have said this one screen has many scratch their head ( not allergies I hope)

Fulgerite
01-15-2012, 12:14 PM
I have news for everyone... It does not matter if you set the climate control to recirculate or not... Some outside air is always being drawn into the cabin and vented out of the vehicle. If the vehicle did not have constant airflow through the interior you would breathe up all of the oxygen and exhale enough CO2 to suffocate in about 30 minutes with the windows closed. (Faster if there are more people in the car.) Setting the climate control to recirculate does reduce the amount of outside air exchange. But it does not seal the cabin into a death tomb.

The optional cabin air filter... filters the air entering the car at all times. Does not matter if the control is set to recirculate or not. The filter would probably meet the needs of most allergy sufferers.

On another note... You might ask your doctor about Nasacourt spray. Completely eliminated my allergy issues. It has almost zero side effects (even long term) and it's now available as a generic so the cost is quite reasonable.

MTN Ranger
01-15-2012, 01:34 PM
With several members of my family with allergies, I also recommend putting in a cabin filter. I got the Wix 24191 charcoal filter a few weeks ago and it works great.

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix24191.html

scottf200
01-15-2012, 03:06 PM
With several members of my family with allergies, I also recommend putting in a cabin filter. I got the Wix 24191 charcoal filter a few weeks ago and it works great.

http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/wix24191.html

Related previous thread:
HVAC-Cabin-Filter
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?7485-HVAC-Cabin-Filter

Raymondjram
01-15-2012, 05:00 PM
I recommend changing the cabin filter as often as possible. The dust gathered in a moving vehicle is much higher than in a stationary situation, like the air filter in a home ventilation system. My wife is sensitive to dust, and I live near a main highway, so our air filters gather a lot of black dust from the tires being wasted on the concrete highway pavement. I had the Equinox cabin filter replaced after 5,000 miles, and it was quite dirty.

If your Volt air filter doesn't protect your cabin enough, find a charcol-based filter for it. Or find the cabin air intake in the Volt and adapt a new external filter, so both filters work in series.

Henry_FL
01-15-2012, 08:52 PM
I took a look, no filter in my new Volt ... its really easy to get at, about 60 seconds. I spent some time looking for the best deal

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?10427-Alternate-Cabin-Air-Filter-TYC-800149C

Bought off amazon for 15.52 delivered

http://www.amazon.com/TYC-800149C-Lacrosse-Replacement-Filter/dp/B0041TOQ92

I'm glad this thread came up, would have never known about the cabin filter!