: How to disable and REMOVE Onstar---> because it is spying on you whether its on or o

student13
12-25-2011, 06:29 PM
Hi there, recently there have been very disturbing things in the news about OnStar, like
1. they will collect data about you including vehicle tracking -->even if you do not use the service.

2.Even if you do not use the service, by court order it can be turned on and track you.

3.I do not want someone to be able through electronic methods to disable my car. Because this power can be misused. Yes if my car is stolen I want the cops to shoot out the robber, but if I am in a rural Texas town, where the sheriff is working with teh Texas Chainsaw killer, then I don't want anyone hacker or cop to be able to disable onstar.

So CAN I REMOVE IT FROM A CHEVY VOLT?

Please see the following videos before making opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGqH5cbYYeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXvkCFwXweU

spreston
12-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Move to a remote island.

Seriously, you are being tracked every second of the day. Do you not think that your post above can be tracked right back to your house and your PC? Everything you do is tracked.

Remote off-grid island or treatment for paranoia are really the only 2 options in modern society.

BlackVolt
12-25-2011, 07:37 PM
I wish they have Onstar in Australia. There is nothing to worry about. Onstar recently changed their terms and conditions and will not track data from the vehicle once the subscription has been canceled. Like what Spreston said you are being tracked everyday. The government knows how many times you visit McDonald's or by how many times you fill up your car with gas by your EFTPOS receipts and other means. Come on GM, bring Onstar to Australia.

scottf200
12-25-2011, 08:21 PM
So the above is your first post on the forum ?!?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-501465_162-20110292-501465.html

So, is there a way to disable OnStar completely? Yes, there is. Whew!

OnStar spokesperson Brynn Guster tweeted, "when you start your service, it is enabled. This does begin until Dec. 1 and you can opt out by calling 1-888-4ONSTAR."

We contacted OnStar to clarify the language on the terms and conditions. The vice president of subscriber services, Joanne Finnorn, told us, "if the customer requests us to turn off the two-way connection, we will do as we have always done, and that is honor customers' requests."

"Our guiding practices regarding sharing our subscribers' personal information have not changed. We are always very specific about with whom we share customers' personal information, and how they will use it. We have never sold any personally identifiable information to any third party," Finnorn said about selling user data.

tboult
12-25-2011, 08:33 PM
And if you don't trust onstar enough, you might have your dealer disconnect
simply pull the plugs from the OnStar Module(VCIM). Then if you ever sell it it can be reconnected.

Somewhat discussed in this thread
http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?7578-OnStar-Activation-Failure

If you can locate the module itself you can probably plug and unplug when you want it disabled.
as described here
http://chevroletforum.com/forum/hhr-51/onstar-disabling-13889/
(but thats for a HHR)

JamesMcQuaid
12-25-2011, 08:36 PM
The origin of this urban legend is Fox News' Glenn Beck:
http://mediamatters.org/mmtv/200910220013

So you think OnStar is bad:

1. they will collect data about you including vehicle tracking -->even if you do not use the service.

2. Even if you do not use the service, by court order it can be turned on and track you.

Okay, make up your mind; now you don't want OnStar turned off:

if I am in a rural Texas town, where the sheriff is working with teh Texas Chainsaw killer, then I don't want anyone hacker or cop to be able to disable onstar.

The odds of being in a rural Texas town where the sheriff is working with the Texas Chainsaw Killer are remote. It should be further noted that, in any event, OnStar is unlikely to turn itself off at the behest of the Texas Chainsaw Killer.

I see that this is your first post. Okay Glenn, we know it's you :)

PAredvolt
12-25-2011, 09:10 PM
Don't forget to turn off your cell phone. No, better yet, smash it.

student13
12-25-2011, 09:29 PM
I can turn off my phone I cannot turn off OnStar, like cut off power to it, not just disconnect the service. I don't like there is away to track you all the time.

doubledave
12-25-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm sure there's a fuse that you can remove that cuts power to the Onstar. Check the Volt's manual in the section that describes which fuse does what.

PAredvolt
12-25-2011, 10:03 PM
Google "abcnews ginovise cell phone". You may want to take the cell phones battery out.

Selling Volts At Sundance
12-25-2011, 10:50 PM
Hi there, recently there have been very disturbing things in the news about OnStar, like

2.Even if you do not use the service, by court order it can be turned on and track you.

3.I do not want someone to be able through electronic methods to disable my car. Because this power can be misused. Yes if my car is stolen I want the cops to shoot out the robber, but if I am in a rural Texas town, where the sheriff is working with teh Texas Chainsaw killer, then I don't want anyone hacker or cop to be able to disable onstar.

Please see the following videos before making opinions. ( No, I like these links better lol )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SwHETnBT1Tw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=SwHETnBT1Tw

The news cycle on this story collapsed within 48 hours of the initial release almost 3 months ago. Not an issue. While it concerns me that we are tracked for marketing reasons by our smart phones with GPS tied in, credit card and debit cards, store savings cards, web tracking cookies, persistent flash cookies...the list goes on and on.

Not An ISSUE NOW!

http://www.edmunds.com/industry-center/commentary/onstars-policy-reversal-is-good-news.html

http://media.gm.com/content/media/us/en/gm/news.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2011/Sep/0927_onstar

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/27/technology/onstar_tracking_reversal/index.htm

ps.......I sure like the video links in the above quote balloon much better!! Redirected to a YouTube BOZO Video...No insult to Bozo intended. Yes they are active links in the quote balloon! A Big ROFLOL!

----------------------------------------------------------]=

The Amazing Chevy Volt EREV-Facts Guy

AmazingChevyVolt@aol.com

www.twitter.com/AmazingChevVolt

Wating for rollout of Dow Powerhouse Solar Shingles and paying down new high efficency furnace. Wating for 1st Cyber Grey Allocation/ Spring 2012!!

www.gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?9525-The-Volt-White-Paper

Reloaded: December 8th 2011

student13
12-26-2011, 02:47 AM
Hi there, well first of all I would like to say that I am not a conservative , and I don't like the fact a company can track me. I don't like Glenn Beck,however but because of people like me complaining, they reversed their decision to share your data with private companies, including your name address and geo tracking data.

That does not mean that the police cannot turn on tracking whenever they want to. I just find that creepy, even more creepy than than the fact that my cell position data, is kept forever. Say someone six months in the future wants to know where I was today they have it on file.

Nice to know that I can have the wire disabled.

BTW , aside form this issue I would love to buy a chevy volt, as soon as I get residency. :-)

dandet
12-26-2011, 06:50 AM
Credit cards, mobile phones, OnStar...big brother is always watching!

I am as much of a big government hater as anyone, but I am not going to stop using my cards, or my cell phone, or OnStar. Twice it has saved my rear end when stranded in another OnStar equiped vehicle. Twice I was able to quickly report other emergency situations not directly involving me and I use it all the time for directions to locations in my business that I am not familliar with. Call me naive but I think it is one of the best features GM vehicles have going for them. We are considering having it installed in our Prius that my son is now driving to school now that it is available aftermarket on non GM cars.

Just my thoughts.

Dan

volt11
12-26-2011, 11:36 AM
SO a non-issue. OnStar is a great and reassuring feature. You think they don't know that the first whiff of abusing its capability won't cause a big downturn in business?

I won't even join Facebook, but I'm really glad I have OnStar. I also use EZ-Pass, in fact wouldn't want to be without that, especially on motorcycle. Everyone has to weigh the benefits/downside equation for themselves. But the idea of sounding some kind of alarm bells about OnStar is ridiculous, and of course the kind of thing you'd expect from a maniacal lunatic like Glenn Beck, who'll throw any nonsense against the wall to see what sticks.

A lot of this "government is watching" paranoia is accompanied by an over-inflated sense of self-importance, as if someone would really care about your one in seven billion life.

silvercorvette
12-26-2011, 11:49 AM
I agree with you those evil folks at onstar are in conspiracy with the government and are out to get you, I believe you can disable onstar by pulling a fuse

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/silvercorvette/wifi-allergies.jpg

ewiggins
12-26-2011, 12:17 PM
SO a non-issue. OnStar is a great and reassuring feature. You think they don't know that the first whiff of abusing its capability won't cause a big downturn in business?

I won't even join Facebook, but I'm really glad I have OnStar. I also use EZ-Pass, in fact wouldn't want to be without that, especially on motorcycle. Everyone has to weigh the benefits/downside equation for themselves. But the idea of sounding some kind of alarm bells about OnStar is ridiculous, and of course the kind of thing you'd expect from a maniacal lunatic like Glenn Beck, who'll throw any nonsense against the wall to see what sticks.

A lot of this "government is watching" paranoia is accompanied by an over-inflated sense of self-importance, as if someone would really care about your one in seven billion life.

I agree with you that a lot of this 'Government is watching' is hysteria. Do people realize the amount of resources needed to pull this off? If the government did this as a general policy, I would think a lot more crimes would get solved. I don't mind OnStar using the info for marketing services as long as it does not specifically target me (i.e. If I start getting more pet store junk mail because OnStar noticed I like to visit pet stores.

silvercorvette
12-26-2011, 01:10 PM
Keep in mind that when you disable Onstar it will disable the following, remote starting , locking, unlocking via cell phone, notification that someone is mucking around with your plug via cell phone, if you are in an accident that activated the airbags the send you an ambulance even if you are un conscious.

The only reason I got the NAV is because of the Onstar, in my opinion the NAV is useless because you can't program destinations while moving but Onstar will locate the address you are looking for and download it to your NAV while you are moving.

That is not a full list of benefits, if you do some research you can find many more.

volt3939
12-26-2011, 02:03 PM
I don't mind OnStar using the info for marketing services as long as it does not specifically target me (i.e. If I start getting more pet store junk mail because OnStar noticed I like to visit pet stores.

It's more likely that sending an email or posting on a forum about your pet store visits will get you some spam or junk mail than anything from OnStar...

But, wouldn't you want to know about the sale at the pet store?

ewiggins
12-26-2011, 07:11 PM
It's more likely that sending an email or posting on a forum about your pet store visits will get you some spam or junk mail than anything from OnStar...

But, wouldn't you want to know about the sale at the pet store?

LOL how true. There are hundreds of ways companies can get marketing data so OnStar is just another one. I do however hate the junk text messages on my phone. Junk <whatever the method> should not cost the receiver, but only the sender.

Lee Willis
12-27-2011, 09:50 AM
Wow - tempest in a teapot in my opinion. I could care less one way or the other, but on balance I think it is good that Onstar is tracking me. I see more potential benefit (it recognizes when an accident has occurred, it finds the car if stolen) than bad (the black helicopters and storm troopers already know where I sleep each night so they can find me without Onstar's help).

tboult
12-27-2011, 10:04 AM
I agree with you that a lot of this 'Government is watching' is hysteria. Do people realize the amount of resources needed to pull this off? If the government did this as a general policy, I would think a lot more crimes would get solved. I don't mind OnStar using the info for marketing services as long as it does not specifically target me (i.e. If I start getting more pet store junk mail because OnStar noticed I like to visit pet stores.

Though I don't consider it a serious risk I'm also a privacy researcher. It does not take any significant resources. I takes one "warrant" and if they decided you are potential terror risk, that would be a secret warrant. I wonder if OnStar would fight a National security letter (which FBI/police issue themselves without a warrant)?

More importantly, if some government agencies get their way it will not even take that.
In a pending supreme court case
http://blogs.lawyers.com/2011/11/supreme-court-drills-down-on-warrantless-gps-tracking/

The FBI/Law enforcement communities arguing GPS tracking discoloses only public information and that the Fourth Amendment does not prevent police from tracking peoplesí public comings and goings. Why then should our public movements be protected, even from constant, precise, intense and prolonged surveillance?

Depending on the outcome of that court case, I would expect a legal argument saying that the data that onstar is collecting is effectively public and hence they can request with without a warrant. They can already collect toll RFID data and such.

Lee Willis
12-27-2011, 11:30 AM
One thing I wish is that we had a video cameria recorder on every street corner - as they do, so some extent, in the UK (at least in all the comtemporary British detective shows like Waking the Dead, etc., that I watch). It would help a lot with crime and other public issues and its in public. There are some really mean, nasty people out there in the world that want to do me wrong, and we need to means to see and watch them.

It does not bother me if that means that "big brother" is also watching me, as long as we have a strong court system -- big brother is watching out for the bad guys, I'm not one and they'll recognize that if they follow and monitor me (if they don't die of boredom first).

solar_dave
12-27-2011, 11:53 AM
(if they don't die of boredom first).

Yeah I agree, the only thing they will see from me is my coffee addiction, the weasels (grandkids) doing stuff, and the wife hitting the sales!

BryCola
12-27-2011, 12:57 PM
If they wanna "track" me to work...to my house...to the mall...to the grocery store...and on visits to my parent's house...then more power to them. If I'm worried about being tracked, them I'm probably going somewhere I shouldn't be going. I do understand the whole privacy thing, but as someone else said, we're tracked all the time anyway. Have a cell phone? They can track you with that too. Have a PC connected to the internet? Same thing.

DCFusor
12-28-2011, 12:02 AM
Tracked all the time, sure. I don't own a cel phone anyway. Why should my time, wherever I am, be free to anyone who finds out my number? Willing slavery, that. Not for me. So "they" know my inet connected computer is in my house. That's not a big reach.

But the ability to shut down the car is evil.
Let's hack into yours, so we can shut it down when you're in the middle of nowhere, beat you to death, and then have some fun with your girlfriend...why should it have to be a cop that asks onstar to shut off a car? Can they see the uniform over the phone? All you need is whatever authentication they use to hack this for your own uses.

Or, unlock you car to steal it, whatever. It's quite a step beyond just knowing where your car is.

Do you trust every single cop out there? It only takes one bad one.

F16BMATHIS
12-28-2011, 09:28 AM
It's not a paranoia, its mistakes by humans. I don't want Onstar either, but I'm more worried that someone will disable my car by mistake. Being 20+ years military, we used to talk about how Japan could start a war with the U.S. and dis-able everyones car so they couldn't get to the Air Force base. Today, it could all be done from a computer inside Iran, China... Once disabled, good luck on trying to re-enable it

F16BMATHIS
12-28-2011, 09:47 AM
I read an article yesterday where there's a team of people hacking into the Onstar on vehicles to unlock and steal them. Though this is just a group of people trying to show it can be done, the point is, it can be done!

Top_Speed1
12-28-2011, 09:57 AM
I agree with you those evil folks at onstar are in conspiracy with the government and are out to get you, I believe you can disable onstar by pulling a fuse

Freeqn FUNNY!

water0033
10-27-2012, 03:04 PM
I've seen many other GM owners removed their OnStar on their cars due to spy issues.

But not on the volts yet, I personally do not like that idea of been spied :(

Has anyone done that or knows where that silver box is located at?

thanks

WopOnTour
10-27-2012, 03:08 PM
There's no "spying" taking place. Just a lot of false information
I guess depending on your definition of "spying" is rather broad but if being able to locate your car when YOU request it, or calling Onstar with your coordinates if/when you are in an accident or is "spying" to you well...
Really the only thing Volt specific is the collection of your energy usage and distance travelled

EVERYTHING being disclosed to Onstar is clearly stated in yoru Onstar agreement, and also avaialble on www.onstar.com

WopOnTour

fotomoto
10-27-2012, 03:20 PM
AFAIK, it's attached to the inside of the windshield just to the right of the rear view mirror.

But of course that is only where they want you to think it is.......

PowerTrip
10-27-2012, 03:40 PM
... I personally do not like that idea of been spied :(

A little paranoid, are we? ;)

Just park your Volt in your "Doomsday Bunker" and maybe the OnStar signal won't get out! LOL! <just joking!>

Steverino
10-27-2012, 04:16 PM
Remove the OnStar antenna. That should disable the following "spying" situations:
"Help! I've been in a serious accident!" Oops, no OnStar
"I need route guidance" Oops, no OnStar
"I need a map downloaded" Oops, no OnStar
"I need my car software updated" Oops, no OnStar
"Help! My car has been stolen." Oops, no OnStar
"Help! My car is having an issue, can you tell what they problem is and give me the diagnostic codes?" Oops, no OnStar
"My monthly efficiency report, diagnostic report, and maintenance alerts are not working!" Oops, no OnStar

P.S. You may want to turn off your computer's camera. We are all able to see you through that. And put some pants on, haha :)

lnfinity
10-27-2012, 04:25 PM
My only concern with OnStar is the new update software function. I like my car the way it runs now and don't want any major changes.

IE: Say there is a concern with the current level of regen in "low" and an update is sent out which moderates it.

water0033
10-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Remove the OnStar antenna will not shut off their fuction, so if you like to disagree and not to help,
please DO NOT respond this, I am here to ask for help, not to hear pro onstar's commands.

we paid for the car and Is the personal chioices if they like to keep it or not,
yes is free services and I do not want it, end of story.

Don't any of you feel weird when they gave you 3 or 5 years free services and when buyer said they do not want it activated, chevy said "NO YOU MUST activate and can not be shutted off"? If that's such a good stuffs, why do they give for free and do not charge?

try to some google search, you will find onstar's are tapping phone calls, throwing voice promo ad while you are driving, you like that?

kns
10-27-2012, 05:20 PM
Don't any of you feel weird when they gave you 3 or 5 years free services and when buyer said they do not want it activated, chevy said "NO YOU MUST activate and can not be shutted off"? If that's such a good stuffs, why do they give for free and do not charge?

It is my understanding that the vehicle owner can tell OnStar not to collect data from the vehicle. However, as was pointed out, there are some valuable maintenance, safety and security services provided by OnStar based on vehicle data.

I, too, am concerned about the increasing loss of privacy that accompany use of many of today's services. Unfortunately, the only way to escape such data collection is to live as a hermit on a mountain top. Not a very practical or enjoyable (for me) solution.

KNS

fotomoto
10-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Unfortunately, the only way to escape such data collection is to live as a hermit on a mountain top.

On top of the mountain? Classic newb mistake. The spy satellites can see you up there. HELLO!

;)

Unicorn
10-27-2012, 05:41 PM
I've seen many other GM owners removed their OnStar on their cars due to spy issues.

But not on the volts yet, I personally do not like that idea of been spied :(

Has anyone done that or knows where that silver box is located at?

thanks

I understand that it seems a little strange, but I think you really have to get used to the idea. That's just where we are right now and we're never going back.

If this freaks you out, I hope you don't carry a cell phone. Same deal... Ever wonder how google maps gets its traffic information or how you can have a nearby restaurant recommendation? Location services. Pretty soon we'll be able to locate people by virtue of the fact that they are the only ones in the area NOT giving off a signal. Better get used to it...

smurf12345
10-27-2012, 06:28 PM
You could pull the fuse for the onstar module. It is on the left side of the dash when you open the door. However, I believe you will loose Bluetooth, voice control, and compass as well (at least for 2011 and 2012).

Norm51
10-27-2012, 08:19 PM
..we paid for the car and Is the personal chioices if they like to keep it or not,
yes is free services and I do not want it, end of story.

Did you trade or keep the RX7? Any bells and electronic whistles on the 97?

shiranpuri
10-27-2012, 08:29 PM
better get rid of or rewire your cell phone too, while you're at it. oh, and, your computer. (you can estimate your location pretty well on a computer even without gps/cell connection - never mind tracking what you search for on top of that).
oh and, credit cards - don't want them to know where you've been.
also any other cards with some sort of id, like the grocery club cards...
*list goes on*

fishhawk
10-27-2012, 08:42 PM
try to some google search, you will find onstar's are tapping phone calls, throwing voice promo ad while you are driving, you like that?
Hmmm. I've Onstar for 12 yrs in 5 vehicles and have never heard of this, or experienced it. Sounds like a bunch of Internet disinformation.

comanchepilot
10-27-2012, 08:57 PM
If people don't want the services they should not be required to keep the equipment installed, right?

You are trackable - so if you don't want to be trackable you need to remove the unit.

And that laundry list of things you don't get without Onstar, then its just every other car in my house - am really giving something up?

its not wingnutty - some people just don't want the government to be able to track them on a whim . . well, a whim and warrant - mostly.

MDDave
10-27-2012, 09:02 PM
If you own the car it's clearly your prerogative to do what you want with it, but it's not clear to me what you are worried about. Have there been incidents of OnStar doing something nefarious with the data they collect? I suppose they could loose control of the data through a rogue employee or due to theft, but you are exposed to that risk in a hundred ways already, so OnStar isn't an unusual risk. Whether you have OnStar or not, your home address, work address, and a bunch of other information is already easily available and if anyone really cared they could probably figure out your normal travel patterns more easily that way than they could compromise OnStar. If you are doing something that you need to hide because it is illegal or dishonest in some way, well then I don't have a a lot of sympathy for your situation.

The bottom line is that your risk is limited, and no one at GM or in the government cares where you are located at any given time. The benefits of OnStar, which are many, far outweigh the risk of someone spying in you.

Steverino
10-27-2012, 10:23 PM
Remove the OnStar antenna will not shut off their fuction, so if you like to disagree and not to help,
please DO NOT respond this, I am here to ask for help, not to hear pro onstar's commands.

Regardless of whether you agree with it or not, the suggestion to remove the antenna was an attempt at help.

Can you explain what "spying" you need protection from? I mean are you seriously concerned that OnStar knows your car's remaining oil life? Do you have any documented cases where this has somehow been used against the car owner?

You can do whatever you want with your car, but I'm curious (and I suspect many other are too) as to what is fueling your OnStar concern.

water0033
10-28-2012, 12:59 AM
All I asked was where that box is, instead of getting real helps,

unlike other chevy forums poeple are avoiding onstar
most here just pro-onstar pro-gov trying to laugh at and make fun at, good job !!
Any of you ever thought why they give you free 3~5 years onstar while you have NO RIGHT NOT to ACTIVATE IT ??????????????????

there are thousands and thousands of people hate onstar,

here's one on youtube showing his face with many f words saying how onstar screwed him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkWPtyFV6iM

and many new reports can be seen, they don't just lie and write those things, if those are lied, why does GM NOT suing them???

http://www.trutv.com/conspiracy/bizarre/data-mining/gallery.html?curPhoto=11

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/09/21/gms-onstar-now-spying-on-your-car-for-profit-even-after-you-uns/

this is dangerous world we live in and I choose not to give up my privacy for safety,
If you do not agree what I said, just ignore it, no need to start a war for that.
unless you got paid for doing this, OK, then sorry I understand

Again if any of you did remove the onstar, please share your story or at least tell us where the box is, thanks

PowerTrip
10-28-2012, 01:49 AM
Really? The guy in the video is real nut case, IMHO. Highway Patrol radar jamming device? Spy unit? Doesn't own a cell phone. Geez, he probably does have Doomsday bunker.

If he (or anyone else) doesn't like the OnStar service, why the h3|| did he buy the car? Go for some other model without OnStar. That's it, plain and simple.

shiranpuri
10-28-2012, 02:23 AM
All I asked was where that box is, instead of getting real helps,you were given suggestions...

Any of you ever thought why they give you free 3~5 years onstar while you have NO RIGHT NOT to ACTIVATE IT ??????????????????
Partly data collection for future improvements/tweaks and service, I'd imagine. The volt is a bit more complex, after all. Other models typically have a lot less time included. If you really wanted to, I imagine you could discontinue it - but that alone won't do any good for the paranoid.

there are thousands and thousands of people hate onstar,
Pulling numbers out of a hat, there's thousands and thousands of people who like it too, apparently. As with most things, I guess.

here's one on youtube showing his face with many f words saying how onstar screwed him:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkWPtyFV6iM
Doesn't really give an indication of how "onstar screwed him", though it does give an indication that he's not too savvy about some of the things he talked about. He must be quite special for whoever to be tapping into his car, that for whatever odd reason causes certain... glitches... such bad wiretapping... :rolleyes: The others... well, apparently there was some concerns with a change regarding inactive customers, which were dealt with afaik.

and many new reports can be seen, they don't just lie and write those things, if those are lied, why does GM NOT suing them???
Bad PR either way, not worth it, conspiracy theories go a dime a dozen, take your pick. Lots of false/misleading news/claims around as it is, onstar, volt or otherwise.

this is dangerous world we live in and I choose not to give up my privacy for safety,
If you do not agree what I said, just ignore it, no need to start a war for that.
unless you got paid for doing this, OK, then sorry I understand
Can't argue there, privacy's out the window for pretty much everything - which is the point some of us are making. (got any phone service at all? internet? etc). Do you scan every nook & cranny of your car for tracking devices every day?

If you insist though, suggestions have been made.

Oh yeah, there was also a series by drive for innovation where they took apart and identified the electronics and other components of the volt.

jeffhre
10-28-2012, 04:21 AM
Wow...the Volt really is getting mainstream.

Cord
10-28-2012, 06:26 AM
All you need do is disable the GPS patch antenna.

I can tell you that only removing the whip antenna will not disable any onstar functions in a major city.

It a good idea to shine a uv and ir light source on the car top every week and look for the big X :-)

Steverino
10-29-2012, 11:46 AM
Oh sure, disable the GPS patch antenna.

But what about all the computer modules in the car that are recording and storing all sorts of data about me and my driving and my how many miles I've traveled and gas I've used and my preferred radio stations, etc. Where are all those spying black boxes located so I can disable them too?

clint fisher
11-28-2012, 03:52 AM
Can anyone here answer the OP's question without a wise-ass judgement about why he would not want to use OnStar? At least *one* poster suggested a fuse to remove. That's a start!

There are _quite_a_few_ valid reasons to want to know how to disable OnStar, and nearly all of you guys want to call him paranoid?

What if OnStar gets hacked or spoofed and starts spamming disabling commands to OnStar vehicles? A denial-of-service attack has already happened with Ford's numerical entry system, so it's not that far-fetched of a scenario. What if it's an attack on our national security? Talk about part of an effective opening salvo - just hack OnStar to disable every Chevy in the nation! So, one could legitimately say it could be a matter of national security knowing how to *at-least* disable one's connection to the OnStar mothership.

And what about corrupt OnStar employees or Law Enforcement? Maybe if your wife unwantedly attracts a creepy stalker-buddy who happens to be in Law Enforcement, or is an OnStar employee, you might not be so fond of your OnStar system then. Yea, I think you'd want to know which wire to cut, like, flippin' ASAP. Don't think this stuff doesn't already happen. Maybe not at OnStar specifically, but abuse of a system can and almost always will occur.

To be sure, these things are remote possibilities, but then, for most of us, so are fires, thefts, floods, earthquakes, etc.. We still *prepare* for those possibilities.

So, as someone else who is dead-serious about *knowing* how to disable my Volt's OnStar, for legitimate reasons of personal safety, privacy, and possibly even national-security, can someone please answer the question seriously?

In case you forgot it is pretty much: Where is the VCIM module?

If you can't answer the question, at least take your opinions of the merits of OnStar to another thread please.

Thank you,
-Clint

Ron C
11-28-2012, 06:51 AM
I don't know where it is, perhaps you can check the appropriate service manual for your vehicle.

One thing to be concerned about is that the OnStar module may be considered an integral part of the Voltec system, and as such may cause the vehicle to become undrivable if it fails. That last part is pure conjecture, but remember that the Volt IS a different beast than other GM vehicles w/OnStar.

trm2
11-28-2012, 08:22 AM
Start with the antenna and see where it leads you. Seriously, it is hooked up somewhere and if you aren't afraid to take the car apart to remove the module, following the wire shouldn't scare you either.

Steverino
11-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Start with the antenna and see where it leads you. Seriously, it is hooked up somewhere and if you aren't afraid to take the car apart to remove the module, following the wire shouldn't scare you either.

+1. That, and/or a Helms service manual (~$200) should get you there. These OnStar units sell on ebay for about $200 so you could end up with the manual for free. Let us know if any issues arise after you disconnect the unit.

NOTE: I merged two "how to disable OnStar" threads into just this one thread given the questions and answer cover much the same ground, but a year apart.

TwistnShift
12-05-2012, 05:15 AM
I can turn off my phone I cannot turn off OnStar, like cut off power to it, not just disconnect the service. I don't like there is away to track you all the time.

Guess what, your cell phone never actually turns off. It goes into a soft-off mode. The only way to completely disable your cell phone is to pull the battery. If you're worried about On-Star I think you should take a serious look at the world around you. Isolating On-Star won't protect you. Cameras, Cell phone, Face recognition, RFid tags, and many many more watch and track you all day, every day. Enjoy the added safety having the ability to have an ambulance dispatched to you even if you're knocked out or worse and move on.

BronxVolt2013
12-05-2012, 05:51 AM
If you are doing nothing wrong why would you care. In this day in age you are being tracked , recorded, scanned, swiped in just about everything you do during the day. I mean really if you are that worried about big brother then live in a cave.

An stop watching those morons on Fox.

BronxVolt2013
12-05-2012, 05:59 AM
Disconnect the Onstar antenna, problem solved.

ckk
12-05-2012, 11:39 AM
take the tinfoil you use to make your hat to keep away the UN/commie/librul/martian mindscans, and wrap it all around the whole car

Steverino
12-05-2012, 11:56 AM
My guess is the OnStar unit is either in the cargo area (remove the cover for full access to the battery area) or under the front dash. I'd check the cargo area first as it's likely the easier of the two to expose. If it's tucked under the dash, I'd look to see if it's accessible from the foot wells. Otherwise, you've got some dash or center console dis-assembly to do. If anyone does locate the unit, please post here so we can share the info with anyone else who has caught the OnStar phobia.

scottf200
12-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Related to this thread is that this story states:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/In-Gear/2012/1203/Chevy-Volt-drivers-top-100-million-miles-driven

(The actual total is about 25 percent higher, since the counter only logs miles from those 80 percent of owners who've agreed to let Chevy track their performance via the Onstar telematics system.)

mikeg3
12-05-2012, 12:12 PM

GROVER, is that you?

WopOnTour
12-05-2012, 04:31 PM
My guess is the OnStar unit is either in the cargo area (remove the cover for full access to the battery area) or under the front dash. I'd check the cargo area first as it's likely the easier of the two to expose. If it's tucked under the dash, I'd look to see if it's accessible from the foot wells. Otherwise, you've got some dash or center console dis-assembly to do. If anyone does locate the unit, please post here so we can share the info with anyone else who has caught the OnStar phobia.It's under the instrument panel. Far RH side on the 2011 and next to the steering column on the 2012-13. There's a caged housing/structure around it and a fastener holding a trap door on the bottom of the cage. The lower knee bolsters will need to be removed for access. Then disconnect connectors and remove the fastener and you can "swing" open the little trap door and the VCIM drops out the bottom.

Cant recommend pulling this module though. Serious loss of functionality, but those that do will discover that soon enough I suppose.
WOT

Steverino
12-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks WOT.

I sure won't be disabling mine and have zero desire to do so, but there seems to be a subculture that has this at the top of their "modification and hack" to-do list. They can now rest easy. Or, can they? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYrvrXBJv3U

Rampage_Rick
12-06-2012, 01:55 AM
Guess what, your cell phone never actually turns off. It goes into a soft-off mode. The only way to completely disable your cell phone is to pull the battery. If you're worried about On-Star I think you should take a serious look at the world around you. Isolating On-Star won't protect you. Cameras, Cell phone, Face recognition, RFid tags, and many many more watch and track you all day, every day. Enjoy the added safety having the ability to have an ambulance dispatched to you even if you're knocked out or worse and move on.If turning off a cell phone doesn't really turn it off, then everyone on an airplane is breaking the law. Strangely, if I turn off my phone with 75% battery it will still have 75% battery when I turn it on a few days later. Do they now come with tiny nuclear reactors to power them in "soft off" mode?

Sadly, some people think everything on CSI is accurate... Now let's enhance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vxq9yj2pVWk)!

Much of the rest is true. CCTV everywhere, facial recognition, and vehicle tracking. Of course, you've got to give them a reason to put in the effort...

"1984, you're right man! That's a typo. Orwell's here now, he's livin' large. We have no names man, no names, we are nameless!"

vern748
12-26-2012, 05:51 PM
Hi All,

I HAD to re-awaken this thread since it the funniest stuff I have read in a long time. I really liked the "tiny nuclear reactors" in the last post...OMG.

Yes, your cell phone is always 'on' unless you take out the batteries. Because your power meter has not gone down doesn't mean anything. It really doesn't take much power to ping off a cell tower to verify location. You iPhone users need to be extra aware. Please read up on cell phone technology.

For the rest that want OnStar turned off, knock yourself out. But you got to know that posting in a public forum, clicking on that Facebook link, using that credit card at the store is doing more tracking than what your car or OnStar could ever do. Just an FYI, going to this website, GM-volt, causes 17 different cookies or trackers or tokens to record your activities. DoubleClick, Evidon Notice, eXelate are just 3 active trackers on this page.

Get a grip people. ...but keep it coming, its very amusing

Steverino
12-26-2012, 06:15 PM
I HAD to re-awaken this thread since it the funniest stuff I have read in a long time. I really liked the "tiny nuclear reactors" in the last post...OMG.

Get a grip people. ...but keep it coming, its very amusing

Shhhhh! The OnStar NoTrackees were all sleeping and now have woken them up.

By the way, could you move to the side a bit? I am having a hard time seeing what is behind you...

vern748
12-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Shhhhh! The OnStar NoTrackees were all sleeping and now have woken them up.

By the way, could you move to the side a bit? I am having a hard time seeing what is behind you...

That actually very funny. If you have a laptop with a built in camera, it is actually very easy to turn the camera on and "see" who is using the machine remotely. CompuTrace/Absolute, a computer theft tracking service we use, allows us to track machine and take video's using the built in camera, since CompuTrace is part of the BIOS. Doing this to a USB camera is more difficult, but still very doable.

So, make sure you put a band-aid over your built in video cameras.
PS. The machine doesn't even need to be 'on'. We can do that for you.

category4
12-26-2012, 06:27 PM
Really? The guy in the video is real nut case, IMHO. Highway Patrol radar jamming device? Spy unit? Doesn't own a cell phone. Geez, he probably does have Doomsday bunker.

If he (or anyone else) doesn't like the OnStar service, why the h3|| did he buy the car? Go for some other model without OnStar. That's it, plain and simple.

Laser jammer, not a radar jammer. Laser jammers are quite effective, radar jammers are very illegal and don't work very well on the newer digital radar units.

Here's a video of the Laser Interceptor on my Corvette.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzf6mZPcq5c

Dyohn
12-26-2012, 06:54 PM
I thought about disabling OnStar but the voices in my head told me it was one of the ways they find me, and if they can't find me I'd be all alone. I don't want to be alone...

This thread is seriously funny, and I love the tin-foil cat-hat. :)

TwistnShift
12-29-2012, 11:36 AM
If turning off a cell phone doesn't really turn it off, then everyone on an airplane is breaking the law. Strangely, if I turn off my phone with 75% battery it will still have 75% battery when I turn it on a few days later. Do they now come with tiny nuclear reactors to power them in "soft off" mode?

Hi All,

Yes, your cell phone is always 'on' unless you take out the batteries. Because your power meter has not gone down doesn't mean anything. It really doesn't take much power to ping off a cell tower to verify location. You iPhone users need to be extra aware. Please read up on cell phone technology.

Exactly and the power buttons on smart phones are soft buttons which means they are not a hard switch. There is always something powered to wake up the OS when you press the power button. This means that if there are any FCC or government required setups inside your cell phone they WILL have power unless you remove the battery. How long did pagers last a long time ago on just one AAA battery? Now compare that to the power output of a Lithium pack in a modern day phone. In "off" mode it would take a long long time to lose any state of charge plus who leaves their phone off for over a month? You'd never notice.

focher
01-02-2013, 04:44 PM
The odds of being in a rural Texas town where the sheriff is working with the Texas Chainsaw Killer are remote.
I really appreciated that you weren't prepared to rule out this possibility outright ...

Norm51
01-02-2013, 07:01 PM
JamesMcQuaid said: "The odds of being in a rural Texas town where the sheriff is working with the Texas Chainsaw Killer are remote. It should be further noted that, in any event, OnStar is unlikely to turn itself off at the behest of the Texas Chainsaw Killer."

I really appreciated that you weren't prepared to rule out this possibility outright ...

I had stopped reading this thread back in October but, on a lark, decided to take a peak today.

TTCSM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Texas_Chain_Saw_Massacre) was filmed a few mile north of the Austin, Tx. metro area near Round Rock. North of there is Ft. Hood. Back in the '70s [and before then, I would imagine] soldiers on leave would take the shortcut over to IH-35 from post to Austin through a hamlet called Florence, Texas. It was alledged [many, many times] that the only red light was controlled by the local police to ticket the unsuspecting G.I's.

I was having the windows tinted on our Volt on Sunday. While waiting, I struck up a conversation with another customer that happened to be an active Army medic. One of his duty stations happened to have been Ft. Hood.

I asked if he had ever heard of Florence. When the laughter stopped he admitted that that old trick was STILL being played on servicemen and women.

@focher: It could happen!!:cool::cool:

VoltageDrop
01-02-2013, 08:19 PM
......paranoid much???

category4
01-02-2013, 08:40 PM
......paranoid much???

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not after you!!!

Steverino
01-02-2013, 09:09 PM
It's under the instrument panel. Far RH side on the 2011 and next to the steering column on the 2012-13. There's a caged housing/structure around it and a fastener holding a trap door on the bottom of the cage. The lower knee bolsters will need to be removed for access. Then disconnect connectors and remove the fastener and you can "swing" open the little trap door and the VCIM drops out the bottom.

Cant recommend pulling this module though. Serious loss of functionality, but those that do will discover that soon enough I suppose.
WOT

This may show where the Gobmint is hiding their brain-wave spy tracker, YMMV.

If this is the unit, I have read online (but not verified) the following: Disconnect the battery negative cable. Remove the instrument panel lower trim panel insulator. Remove Communication Interface Module Bracket Bolt, Open the bottom of the hinged bracket and slide the module downward. Disconnect the electrical connections.

I recommend not doing this and am not even sure this is the unit or the correct instructions. You are on your own. You break it you own it. Proceed with caution, or better yet, not at all. If you are the brave, adventurous, pioneering type and want to proceed anyway, tell us how it goes (and what problems resulted).

category4
01-02-2013, 09:18 PM
If anyone should have disconnected Onstar because they were afraid the info might get sold to Law Enforcement it would have been me when I had the Corvette. Never had anyone knock on the door from the local LEO's, but did have a LIDAR speed gun manufacturer that wanted to see how effective their new LIDAR unit was against my Vette!!

Turns out they tracked me down through my YouTube videos, so we should probably be more worried about what we put out there ourselves than Onstar selling to third parties.

John_Hatchett
02-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Since OnStar is not available for our European cohorts, I doubt the car will suffer functionality from having the module disabled. I would prefer an on/off switch, or pulling a fuse, rather than actually pulling a wire or a module out.

Bash
07-03-2013, 11:57 PM
This is the way to do it. I hate when ppl cant just answer a question. I wanted my onstar disabled and all i kept finding was criticism. I found my own way and it works. 100%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAbTy_jFcbc

Upper5Percent
07-04-2013, 12:30 AM
I just figured out who the OP was...:)
http://theblogofprogress.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/0609-edward-snowden.jpg_full_600-300x200.jpg

ehenyo
07-14-2013, 02:59 AM
I just figured out who the OP was...:)
http://theblogofprogress.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/0609-edward-snowden.jpg_full_600-300x200.jpg

yes, who is laughing now!!!

Upper5Percent
08-13-2013, 11:22 PM
Well...don't get a GPS jammer...:rolleyes:

http://autos.aol.com/article/new-jersey-gps-airport-newark-gary-bojczak/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl27|sec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D357612

jfkirk
08-14-2013, 12:27 AM
I wonder if we have drones for leakers yet.

telveer
09-06-2013, 03:31 PM

Please see the following videos before making opinions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGqH5cbYYeM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXvkCFwXweU

Per Volt manual - Fuse F9 in Instrument Panel Fuse Block (Left Side) is for OnStar. Remove it and see if OnStar is still working (use OnStar website or app and send a remote command). Drive the car around in a safe area and make sure everything else works.

Page 319: http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals%20and%20Videos/02_pdf/2k12volt.pdf#page=319

shoemakj
09-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Per Volt manual - Fuse F9 in Instrument Panel Fuse Block (Left Side) is for OnStar. Remove it and see if OnStar is still working.

A true member of the black helicopter/tin foil hat crowd would know that fuse is just a diversion. When the Onstar module detects that no power is coming through the F9 fuse, it simply shuts down the user interface, but keeps dutifully reporting back to the mothership via a secondary, on-board power supply. ;)

Fulgerite
09-06-2013, 05:30 PM
I hope he is also ready to get rid of his cell phone and cancel all of his credit cards... Because they can be used to track your position too... Cell phones can even be turned on remotely to record sound even when NOT making a call. Your cell phone can be used as a BUG by the NSA.

Steverino
02-19-2014, 11:19 AM

A news item today that's related to this old thread. Forget about OnStar conspiracy theories, license plate readers are doing far more and don't require getting help from a private company like OnStar, or a subpena. So if you think removing OnStar is going to keep your comings and goings private, think again student13.

Mass Surveillance of All Car Trips Is Nearly Upon Us
The government wants a national database noting where license plates were spotted.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2014/02/mass-surveillance-of-all-car-trips-is-nearly-upon-us/283922/

Related OnStar removal thread: http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?29761-How-to-physically-disconnect-Onstar&highlight=remove+onstar

Cord
02-20-2014, 04:00 AM
TPMS tire ID

Occult Scientist
02-20-2014, 05:43 AM
Cell phone signals, even when not in use, are being used by some DOTs on major roads for traffic control.