Jun 19

Cadillac XT4 Spy Photos Hint at Plug-in Hybrid Powertrain

By Jason Siu

The latest Cadillac XT4 prototype suggests the new crossover will be a plug-in hybrid.

The test car is still heavily camouflaged, but we can see Cadillac’s signature pentagonal mesh grille up front, along with pointy LED headlights, and an overall edgier profile. If you look carefully, you can also make out an intercooler in the front bumper, indicating there are turbocharged engines under the hood.

It’s most likely the XT4 will have a turbocharged four-cylinder mill under the hood, possibly paired to a nine-speed automatic transmission. Look for all-wheel drive to be offered as optional, although there’s a chance it could be standard.

The latest set of spy photos reveal an extra fuel cap hidden on the front left fender, which is likely where a charging port is located.

The Cadillac XT4 is expected to make its debut in mid-2018. Look for it to compete with the Audi Q3, BMW X1, and Mercedes-Benz GLA, although it should be bigger than all three of them.

This article originally appeared at AutoGuide.com

This entry was posted on Monday, June 19th, 2017 at 5:55 am and is filed under General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

drbruce

drbruce

Jun 19th, 2017 (6:34 am)

Its about time already

Chris K

Chris K

Jun 19th, 2017 (7:04 am)

“Look for it to compete with the Audi Q3, BMW X1, and Mercedes-Benz GLA, although it should be bigger than all three of them.”

Bigger than three crossover SUVs? It must be enormous.

Jun 19th, 2017 (7:06 am)

“indicating there are turbocharged engines under the hood.”

Maybe one will be enough. 😊

Kdawg

Kdawg

Jun 19th, 2017 (8:16 am)

I hope they put enough kWh in there to give it an EV range of at least 35 miles.

Jun 19th, 2017 (8:39 am)

I like this, but if it is another $80K+ vehicle, it will not sell all that well.

Why didn’t the just do this to an Equinox or a Buick Encore?

JMHO

Jim – C-5277

Jun 19th, 2017 (8:45 am)

I posted news about the XT4 last week, but I hope we can read more about its development. I will follow Cadillac news just in case it will be a hybrid. I believe that the XT4 will not be based on the same D2XX platform as the Volt, Equinox, Envision, and Terrain, but on the E2XX:
    The 2019 Cadillac XT4 “will be made on a variation of GM’s global Epsilon II platform, which also underpins the Cadillac XTS and Chevy Malibu, and it should be a little bit bigger than the Chevy Equinox.”

Chris K

Chris K

Jun 19th, 2017 (9:28 am)

If they want to sell it in China they’re going to need at least a plug-in hybrid option.

Jun 19th, 2017 (9:32 am)

Chris K:

Bigger than three crossover SUVs? It must be enormous.

Yes, according to the info I posted before at #6.

Jun 19th, 2017 (9:33 am)

I’ve been following these rumors/spy_shots for some time. Both on XT4 and XT3.

Since XT4 may be on the Malibu platform, a PHEV version of Malibu’s hybrid build could be in the cards. 50mpg + 50AER anyone?

It’d be REALLY COOL if XT3 was on the Bolt platform.

Either way, I hope they are both more sophisticated than XT5. I had an XT5 loaner and it was disappointing for a Cadillac. The ride and noise level were not good. The V-6 was obnoxious. Especially the start/stop piece. XT5 is really a re-badged and slightly modified SRX. Nothing much was done except some weirdness added.

That Bolt/XT5 shifter is just weird. I prefer a more standard shift method like ELR’s. Although, I did get used to it in a couple days.

I wonder what the final Cadillac SUV/CUV lineup will look like. Maybe something between XT5 and Escalade. Like an XT6 based on CT6 drivetrain.

One good thing about crossovers is that they tend to have a little more wiggle room for battery placement.

I can dream can’t I?

Kdawg

Kdawg

Jun 19th, 2017 (9:49 am)

Loboc: The ride and noise level were not good. The V-6 was obnoxious

I feel like that any time I drive a gasser now. #EVownerproblems.

Jun 19th, 2017 (9:51 am)

Loboc: It’d be REALLY COOL if XT3 was on the Bolt platform.

A Cadillac Bolt would be a desired addition to the GM BEV line up if it had an optional range extender for fast fills on cross country adventures. Just make sure it is fast, quiet and comfortable..

BAZINGA

BAZINGA

Jun 19th, 2017 (9:56 am)

The key to where this goes are two simple truths – range and cost. I’m approaching retirement, I can no longer afford vehicles that sell for $40K+ if I want to retire.

Neromanceres

Neromanceres

Jun 19th, 2017 (10:35 am)

American First:
    I posted news about the XT4 last week, but I hope we can read more about its development. I will follow news just in case it will be a hybrid. I believe that the XT4 will not be based on the same D2XX platform as the Volt, Equinox, Envision, and Terrain, but on the E2XX:

There is something not quite right with some of those sources. E2XX is not Epsilon II. E2 is the replacement for Epsilon II. Epsilon II is a very old vehicle architecture that is at end of life. The XTS for example is on a modified Epsilon II premium platform. The new Malibu is on the new and much lighter E2XX platform.

Now to mess up this even more GM has the C1XX platform. This platform is a variant of the E2XX specifically designed for CUV’s. The Cadillac XT5 sits on a short wheel base version of C1XX. So given this I don’t see how the XT4 can be on E2XX (unless it’s technically a wagon and not a CUV). Rumor also has it that GM will make a large “XT7” CUV on an long wheel base C1XX. Similar to the new Buick Enclave that is just now entering production.

Personally looking at the spy photos the XT4 does to me appear to be on some variant of the D2XX platform which was designed to accommodate CUV’s.

Streetlight

Streetlight

Jun 19th, 2017 (10:46 am)

Loboc: I had an XT5 loaner and it was disappointing for a Cadillac. The ride and noise level were not good. The V-6 was obnoxious. Especially the start/stop piece. XT5 is really a re-badged and slightly modified SRX. Nothing much was done except some weirdness added.

SRX was Caddy’s best seller. Supposedly XT5 had two-three years of improvements as part of Johann’s 10-year plan (or something) You know your beans. That’s not good news for GM.

BillR

BillR

Jun 19th, 2017 (10:50 am)

It will be interesting to see how GM approaches the plug-in market.

One option would be a Malibu Hybrid type transmission, which is a slightly modified Volt transmission. This, paired with a small turbocharged 4 cyl, like GM’s 2.0L turbo, could be a potent power plant (~ 260 hp). The dual electric motors could provide plenty of torque and pure electric driving for all but the more power hungry modes (high acceleration, high speeds, towing, etc.). AER would be dependent upon the battery size.

The other option that I see is the lower cost BAS system used in the upcoming Buick LaCrosse hybrid. This is more of an “assist” type hybrid, but with the plug-in option, could greatly extend fuel mileage without providing any real AER. It would probably operate something like the plug-in Saturn that Lyle drove many years ago, where the motors provide boost so that the car uses fuel like it is going down hill.

It will be interesting to see which system they select.

larry4pyro

larry4pyro

Jun 19th, 2017 (11:05 am)

I suspect this XT4 and a lot more future vehicles will use variants of the Voltec propulsion. The beauty of the Voltec transmission is it can replace a standard automatic transmission. To add a hybrid or plug-in hybrid to a model line it’s not the cost of the electric bits plus the transmission, it’s the cost of the electric bits less the transmission. I suspect this is what GM did with the XT4, replace the 8-speed auto coupled to the base 2liter turbo ICE with a RWD variant of the Voltec. Hopefully they found room to house a battery pack larger than the Volt/CT6 for better all electric range and performance. The quiet, smooth and torquey power delivery that the Voltec drive provides should give GM an advantage over their competitors.

Beyond the XT4 I hope GM electrified their entire future vehicle line up using the Voltec architecture, either as full hybrids like the Malibu Hybrid of plug-in hybrids. I can’t see any reason why the Voltec couldn’t be adapted to more powerful ICEs for truck and even to power a future Corvette.

If GM wants to take advantage of the federal tax credit they better hurry as time is running out. They will be reaching their 200,000 break off point in 2018. The good part of this is after that they can sell as many vehicles as they can and all will qualify for the credit. The bad part is the amount of the credit gets smaller and smaller from that point until it disappears. If they haven’t established a solid lead by that time, their competitors who have lagged back will have a hugh cost advantage.

BillR

BillR

Jun 19th, 2017 (11:12 am)

And just a note on these high performance turbocharged engines;

They typically want premium fuel, and thus the demand for premium fuel is increasing, and so is the cost spread between regular and premium gas.

Note that this article will be posted until Wednesday afternoon, when it will be replaced by another “topic of the week”.

(Quote)  (Reply)

Jun 19th, 2017 (11:17 am)

This of course is the plug in that everybody has been demanding. Now that it appears that it will show up, the complaint will be that it costs too much! With the Volt you have a $25K electric hatch with 50 miles of range. What it lacks is more luxury upscale features. If you want those then be prepared to pay more. That’s just the way it works. Making it a Chevy or Buick doesn’t make it cost less to produce. All that does is set the expectations lower, which is not a good thing actually.

Loboc: Both on XT4 and XT3.

Same vehicle. Some mags first called it the XT3 but GM has confirmed it will be called the XT4. GM has also confirmed a model larger than the XT5, slotted between that and the Escalade. Also potentially a small SUV below the XT4.

Neromanceres: There is something not quite right with some of those sources.

There have been conflicting reports on what platform will be used. GM Authority says E2XX but admits that is weird to have a mid sized platform under a compact SUV. The platform is not, however, outdated. It’s used by the 2017 Malibu and the 2018 Buick and LaCrosse.

BillR: It will be interesting to see how GM approaches the plug-in market.

I’d think it would be like the CT6.

American First

Jun 19th, 2017 (12:30 pm)

Neromanceres,

the phrase “will be made on a variation of GM’s global Epsilon II platform” is correct. Read both news in detail. And anyone can find additional information on the Web as I did. I am presently searching Cadillac pages for more.

I found four more articles of spy shots, three in Spain and one in Italy. Yet the platform mentioned are not the same:

(Quote)  (Reply)

Jun 19th, 2017 (12:38 pm)

BillR: They typically want premium fuel

I have no problem with that. Most of my vehicles have either suggested premium or required it. The ’70 ‘Vette LS5 (454 big block) LOVED 110 Sunoco. In large quantities.

I prefer premium electricity though. Wind or Solar generation.

George S Bower

George S Bower

Jun 19th, 2017 (12:38 pm)

Mark Z: A Cadillac Bolt would be a desired addition to the BEV line up if it had an optional range extender for fast fills on cross country adventures. Just make sure it is fast, quiet and comfortable..

I think I’ve seen an Xt5 Suv and it looked good. As Tesla owners it would be nice to have an alternative. I wish GM would offer something with Tesla looks and range but with GM reliability….you know like if we got sick of going to the service center all the time.

George S Bower

George S Bower

Jun 19th, 2017 (12:44 pm)

Kdawg:

Hard to say but it sounds like it will be using the volt power train so perhaps it will have the same kwh’s.

(Quote)  (Reply)

Jun 19th, 2017 (12:52 pm)

DonC: Mark Reuss has said packaging the battery pack is more difficult for an SUV. My guess would be that you need to put the pack under the back seat though I’d be fine losing space in the middle back seat as in the Volt.

I was guessing just the opposite.

Yeah, if you need a front-engine rwd layout, that would be more difficult since you also need a drive shaft tunnel and routing for exhaust. (Like CT6).

In a smaller fwd CUV, they should be able to use a skate-board design. Like a Volt but with a flat battery instead of the T-shaped one.

A pure electric would use the Bolt platform but probably stretched. In that case a skateboard design is good.

BTW, I’m good with the CT6 layout small trunk and everything. I’m not good with it skimping on premium features to get the PHEV architecture. Leaving out 32-way speaker system and Super Cruise are not good news. I haven’t seen any 2018 CT6 plans yet. Although I did get a survey asking what to call the fourth driver mode which is ‘recharge the battery with the engine’ mode. Like MM, but, to the full upper SOC I’m guessing.

American First

Jun 19th, 2017 (12:53 pm)

I found this Cadillac article: a self driving CT6:

Jun 19th, 2017 (1:00 pm)

Kdawg

Kdawg

Jun 19th, 2017 (1:19 pm)

Loboc: I prefer premium electricity though. Wind or Solar generation.

We’re getting there. 10%, first time in the US.

Kdawg

Kdawg

Jun 19th, 2017 (1:23 pm)

George S Bower: Here’s an interesting data point on vampire losses: How about 2-3 miles per hour range loss in 108 deg parking lot all day.

Does the Model S turn on cooling fans & pump coolant while parked?

George S Bower

George S Bower

Jun 19th, 2017 (1:27 pm)

Kdawg: Does the Model S turn on cooling fans & pump while parked?

Yes. It cools itself whether it is plugged in or not…..just the battery though. Cabin gets hot unless you turn cabin a/c on.

George S Bower

George S Bower

Jun 19th, 2017 (1:35 pm)

Kdawg: We’re getting there.10%, first time in the US.

Good article kdawg. Interesting that 2 conservative states texas and iowa have highest wind production. I wish they could get our idiot president on board.

Chris K

Chris K

Jun 19th, 2017 (1:42 pm)

Come on GM, is this the best camouflage you could come up with? It looks like they just taped a bunch of trash bags all over the body.

Jun 19th, 2017 (1:43 pm)

Kdawg,

Yep. And this from that site:

“Texas generated nearly 7 terawatt-hours of electricity from wind in March, more than 1/4 of the total U.S. output, which met 25% of its monthly electric demand.” I knew it was a lot, but, not 25%!

There are places in Texas where a windless day is very rare. On I-35W corridor headed towards OK City, there are tons of turbines in both TX and OK. Most of the time, no batteries required.

My supplier is Green Mountain which only sells renewable power.

James

James

Jun 19th, 2017 (2:32 pm)

Neromanceres: There is something not quite right with some of those sources.E2XX is not Epsilon II.E2 is the replacement for Epsilon II.Epsilon II is a very old vehicle architecture that is at end of life. The XTS for example is on a modified Epsilon II premium platform.The new Malibu is on the new and much lighter E2XX platform.

Now to mess up this even more has the C1XX platform.This platform is a variant of the E2XX specifically designed for CUV’s.The Cadillac XT5 sits on a short wheel base version of C1XX.So given this I don’t see how the XT4 can be on E2XX (unless it’s technically a wagon and not a CUV).Rumor also has it that GM will make a large “XT7” CUV on an long wheel base C1XX.Similar to the new Buick Enclave that is just now entering production.

I wonder what internal jargon is for the Cruze platform. 2nd gen Cruze is supposed to be on the D2XX platform as is Volt, but the Cruze has four doors and adequate rear seat legroom, thus its longer. So is that D2XX+?

Jun 19th, 2017 (2:38 pm)

Loboc: I was guessing just the opposite.

He hesitated for a few seconds before answering, and that was a year or so ago, so perhaps things have changed. I liked the CT6 even with the less than stellar electric range. Fantastic road warrior. The Panaray stereo and supercruise were both casualties of the battery pack taking up the space where those are destined to go. For supercruise it wasn’t the sensors or computers, it was the four wheel steering which apparently is a required redundant feature. That feature is also a casualty of the pack.

But as I’ve mentioned, the CT6 hybrid is the same price as the standard V6 version once you add the options that come standard on the hybrid. Lots of stuff is included. Of course the performance is better as well. Some people have said they want a base, but you might as well not pay for the Cadillac badge if you want a stripper.

I don’t think Cadillac has any intention of going the BEV route at this time. The comments have been along the line of having a PHEV variant to the existing vehicles.

The XT4 will be interesting. It’s the first vehicle developed under the new management team. I had the XT5 as a loaner and was not a fan. But friends who rode or drove it thought it was spiffy. I’m thinking the ELR may have spoiled us.

James

James

Jun 19th, 2017 (2:42 pm)

Remember MPV5? GM had said that packaging Volt’s T-Pack into a crossover was ideal since the high
    nature of the vehicle allows the T portion of the pack to reside under the back seat without compromising headroom.

It’s advantageous for GM to get mileage out of the existing Volt pack rather than develop and build a proprietary pack for crossovers and midsize sedans.

This might even result in a 3rd generation Volt, a prospect I pretty much felt was nil since the Bolt EV has taken GM’s mantle as it’s green halo.

Jun 19th, 2017 (2:46 pm)

James: I wonder what internal jargon is for the Cruze platform. 2nd gen Cruze is supposed to be on the D2XXplatform as is Volt, but the Cruze has four doors and adequate rear seat legroom, thus its longer. So is that D2XX+?

Yes it’s the same platform. A platform is not a chasis. You can make vehicles larger or smaller using the same platform. I think VW has a platform that it uses to make everything from compacts to SUVs. D2XX isn’t that flexible but the Buick Envision, Chevy Equinox. and GMC Terrain all use it.

James: t’s advantageous for GM to get mileage out of the existing Volt pack rather than develop and build a proprietary pack for crossovers and midsize sedans.

Cells and power electronics for sure. The packaging of the cells is likely less important.

James

James

Jun 19th, 2017 (2:52 pm)

If GM actually retails this XT4 in North America and it’s not just a China play, we should hope it won’t be another CT-6 PHEV fiasco. High cost, low availability and such.

Once a plug in crossover or pickup truck hits our market, it’s the beginning of the end for non electrified cars. Tesla is full bore EVs, but watching the ICEmakers struggle with it is painful. Very painful. At first a high-end crossover for $65,000-75,000, then slowly – verrrrry slowly will come lower priced competition. Then brands known for broader acceptance like Hyundai will encroach with maybe a Genesis, or Hyundai model for less money. At that point, the slow momentum builds up speed and eventually – like 4 product cycles later – mainstream brands like Ford, Toyota, FCA, Honda and KIA will have crossovers with plugs fighting it out in the marketplace. Again – ever so slow, each new model generation will have more EV range to outdo it’s rivals. At that pace, it could be 18 years until lots of PHEV crossovers with 40 miles range roam our highways.

Fun aspect is that Tesla is lighting a fire under that process, and first luxe brands like Cadillac and Mercury will have to respond, and this whole process described above moves much faster. Helping it all will be cheaper battery packs and more announcements of accelerated lithium ion production plants going up. Samsung SDI just announced a new plant last week!

Anybody knocking Tesla needs to have their head examined. Without them this slow molasses trend towards electrification could benefit my kids ( 11 and 13 years old ) in their lifetimes. If Tesla thrives, I’ll see this happen in 5-7 years. The Toyota Highlander, Chevy Traverse segment will have a plug, and may even eventually get a skateboard chassis used broadly within the brand which would allow full BEVs.

Reatta Guy

Reatta Guy

Jun 19th, 2017 (3:18 pm)

American First,

Also in the 1988-89 Buick Reatta! My 1989 is still running strong with 265,000 miles on it.

Jun 19th, 2017 (5:51 pm)

DonC: I had the XT5 as a loaner and was not a fan. But friends who rode or drove it thought it was spiffy. I’m thinking the ELR may have spoiled us.

No question XT5 is a good-looking vehicle. People that rode in my loaner were impressed, but, they all drive pickups! XT5, even in base trim, is way luxurious compared to any pickup.

Yep, ELR has spoiled me for anything else. The library-quiet ride, especially during shift-less acceleration, is one of the best features.

Jun 19th, 2017 (5:59 pm)

James,

It seems very slow now, but, we are at the beginning. Many people, including financial types, think that the ICE cars are dead by 2025. Not PHEV dead, BEV dead. BEV will be so much more affordable than ICE that it is inevitable.

SUV and Pickup will take a while longer since there is only one right now. The Model X.

Jun 19th, 2017 (6:25 pm)

American First,

Used to rent those in the 80s. “Almost” had a lot of accidents, playing with that touch screen.

Dan Petit/Petit Technical College

Dan Petit/Petit Technical College

Jun 19th, 2017 (7:32 pm)

With very few changes, you can pack 28 kWh into the very same Gen 2 T-pack.
    So, with that, who needs a nasty torbo? Go back to 288 cells wired moreso in parallel. You’ll get a Volt SS, you’ll expand all applications including a sleek truck capability with doing that.
    You can have the 75 mile ER standard Volt, or a 60 mile truck EREV.

All you have to do is to rework 288 cells to open up all these doors!

Electrification increased energy and power density is the antithesis of high compression/volumetric combustion. Why keep bothering with all that chronic mess?

Turbocharging is ancient history by any comparison, and you’re just asking for more troubles and excessive engine wear when electricity can do a far superior and cleaner job.

Jun 19th, 2017 (8:02 pm)

Dan Petit/Petit Technical College:
    With very few changes, you can pack 28 kWh into the very same Gen 2 T-pack.
    So, with that, who needs a nasty torbo?Go back to 288 cells wired moreso in parallel.

Electrification increased energy and power density is the antithesis of high compression/volumetric combustion.Why keep bothering with all that chronic mess?

You are correct. Turbocharging is ancient history. The Lockheed P-38 Lightning needed it in the early 1940’s so its GM-made Allison engines can fly at higher altitudes, where the P-38 was dominating. Rolls-Royce used supercharging instead on the Merlin V-12 engine that replaced the Allison engine in the P-52 Mustang and that became a superior fighter. Turbocharging is best for short term situations such as races, since that reduces engine life.

In hybrid cars the electric motor adds its power to the gas engine and eliminates the need for a turbocharger. My Fusion Hybrid has a 2.0 L (121 CI) which is a small engine for such a large 3,800 lb. body, but the electric motors add enough power to make it run as it had a V6, and gets the side benefits of lower maintenance cost and a longer engine life. We also know that electric motors have little or no maintenance, so it is a big win for the buyer.