Jan 10

Chevrolet Bolt and Chrysler Pacifica Win North American Car of the Year Awards

2017-chevrolet-bolt-ev-668x409

Chevrolet’s Bolt EV and the new Chrysler Pacifica minivan – including its plug-in hybrid version – joined the Honda Ridgeline as winners of the North American Car, Utility Vehicle and Truck of the Year.

Selected as the winners respectively in the car, utility vehicle and truck categories, the Bolt compact crossover and Pacifica minivan are standout green cars already.

2017ChryslerPacificaHybrid-668x409

The Bolt is the first EV priced below $40,000 with more than 200 miles range, and the Pacifica Hybrid takes a prominent role in the V6 family line as the first plug-in hybrid minivan.

The Ridgeline revises Honda’s light pickup truck, and the winners were chosen from 44 semifinalists by 60 automotive journalists.

2017-honda-ridgeline-e1483978257347
Other nominees edged out by the Bolt included the Genesis G90 and Volvo S90 – both innovative, and priced higher than the Bolt.

“The Bolt EV fulfills Chevrolet’s promise to offer an affordable, long-range electric,” said Mark Reuss, executive vice president, GM Global Product Development. “It is a game-changer that is not only a great electric vehicle; it’s a great vehicle — period.”

As for the Pacifica, it edged out the Jaguar F-Pace, and Mazda CX-9 SUV.

“When we first introduced the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica just one year ago, we believed that we had created the perfect formula for today’s busy families,” said Tim Kuniskis, Head of Passenger Car Brands, Dodge, SRT, Chrysler and Fiat, FCA – North America. “But it’s the recognition from our customers and respected opinion leaders like the NACTOY jury that helps to reinforce Pacifica’s status in the marketplace as the no-compromises minivan, and highlights what a great job the entire team has done in developing, building and selling the all-new Pacifica and Pacifica Hybrid.”

The Pacifica Hybrid has yet to go on sale this year, but the Bolt EV began sales in December with 579 units in California and Oregon.

Plans are for nationwide sales for both vehicles later this year.

HybridCars.com

This entry was posted on Tuesday, January 10th, 2017 at 5:55 am and is filed under General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Big Game James

Big Game James

Jan 10th, 2017 (6:25 am)

fyi: The Genesis G80 and G90 branded vehicles are large luxury gas cars made by Hyundai. The Genesis nameplate looks a little too much like Chrysler’s for my comfort.

Jan 10th, 2017 (6:58 am)

The Pacifica Hybrid starts at $34,495 after the tax credit.

Leather seats are mandatory. I hate leather seats. Hopefully they’ll offer cloth seats on the 2018 model.

Jan 10th, 2017 (7:13 am)

Excellent news as more drivers choose plug-in electric vehicles to save fuel and to skip using gasoline completely. Enjoy visiting the dealerships to experience the quality and comfort.

OT: Newly manufactured five seat Model X has static folding rear bench seat with storage underneath. Much more practical for those who don’t need six or seven seats. No AM radio in Model X.

bro1999

bro1999

Jan 10th, 2017 (7:13 am)

An all-electric, car-truck , and not-SUV minivan win the the best NA car/truck/SUV awards….what is the world coming to?? :p

COTY award was no contest. Two very similar gas guzzling luxury sedans versus the game changing Bolt. Game over before it even started.

b3eeea2a58580009e58b5371f181f63de56351d9f5a8ceb83127b59f52c1d60c.jpg

MnVikes

MnVikes

Jan 10th, 2017 (7:29 am)

Last Fall I test drove the G80, it was very nice, spacious for my 6’4 frame, and the wife loved it.
    Dealer asked when I’d like one. My reply, “When are they making a plug in option?” 🙂

don shaw

don shaw

Jan 10th, 2017 (8:17 am)

Kudos to GM and Chrysler

firehawk72

firehawk72

Jan 10th, 2017 (8:33 am)

The Pacifica Hybrid is on my radar in a major way. My wife and I have an aging Saturn Outlook that we would like to replace with the Pacifica Hybrid. Most of us on this forum had been begging GM to release a Voltec SUV; however, even though GM had a major lead on all other players, it was Chrysler that stomach punched them with the Pacifica Hybrid. I have read extensively about it. It is receiving excellent praise from all reviewers, and large vehicles like this benefit the most from this type of technology. The Volt and Bolt are great, but a large vehicle is what my family needs as we are simply outgrowing the Volt. Thanks Chrysler…

john1701a

john1701a

Jan 10th, 2017 (9:28 am)

firehawk72: Most of us on this forum had been begging GM to release a Voltec SUV; however, even though GM had a major lead on all other players, it was Chrysler that stomach punched them with the Pacifica Hybrid.

We see the potential from the popularity of the plug-in hybrid Outlander in Europe, over 100k purchased overall so far. We also see the purchase of over 45k RAV4 hybrids last year as potential too. The opportunity to offer a Voltec model of Equinox still remains an excellent idea.

Kdawg

Kdawg

Jan 10th, 2017 (9:44 am)

The new Chevy Traverse was revealed at the NAIAS. Can you imagine that in PHEV form? 7-seat or 5-seat option. 40 miles of EV range. AWD option. Too big for me, but I know it (and the Buick Enclave) are very popular vehicles.

Jan 10th, 2017 (10:00 am)

john1701a: 242,195 Equinox were purchased last year. That’s a massive amount of missed opportunity.

I swear I don’t understand your posts sometimes. What is the ‘missed opportunity’ here when they sold nearly a quarter million of them? Are you saying that 100% of these people would buy a plug-in version instead? Doubtful if it costs >$100 more.

Most people, especially here in pickup country, don’t give a flip about EVs, or PHEVs or hybrids. They are considered slow, weird and not trucks.

Let’s see how Ford does next year with their hybrid pickup. I seriously doubt they will capture more than 1% of the total F-series market.

I hope GM uses the CT6 power train in a Sierra soon. That I would buy.

Interesting that Ford is offering ACC in their 2018 pickups.

Kdawg

Kdawg

Jan 10th, 2017 (10:42 am)

FYI, some initial Bolt EV charging data.

john1701a

john1701a

Jan 10th, 2017 (11:13 am)

Loboc: What is the ‘missed opportunity’ here when they sold nearly a quarter million of them?

release a Voltec SUV

Tim Hart

Tim Hart

Jan 10th, 2017 (11:40 am)

First the Volt, now the Bolt. Does GM know how to make award winning EVs or what!

Jan 10th, 2017 (11:52 am)

john1701a: release a Voltec SUV

This is what we all hope for. I wouldn’t buy one necessarily, but I think it’s needed and I’d like GM to do it. We should recognize that the EV field is still so open that there is no real need to go head-to-head with any particular model. Who else has another Volt ready to go? Bolt? Pacifica Minivan Hybrid? As these “firsts” get filled, then we’ll start to see market-niche go up against market-niche. Though it hasn’t appeared here, the Outlander invites comparison. I don’t look for the electric Equinox quickly, but GM has surprised us before.

George Stuart Bower

George Stuart Bower

Jan 10th, 2017 (12:22 pm)

Kdawg:
    FYI, some initial Bolt EV charging data.

Hard to conclude much. Maybe he was limited by the charger output. Also he needed to compare to an early 60 kwh model s. Looks like initial charge rate is around 170 mph….only 45 kw. On the surface not too impressive but like i said we need an apples to aples comparison with an old 60 ms.

Seems like my 2012 ms 85 does arount 330 mph @around 120 kw.

Kdawg

Kdawg

Jan 10th, 2017 (1:50 pm)

George Stuart Bower,

I want to see when he tries again w/out having to stop. Note the charger, though 50kW, was rated for 125A.

Maybe bro1999 can do a test for us when gets his.

George Stuart Bower

George Stuart Bower

Jan 10th, 2017 (1:57 pm)

Kdawg:
    George Stuart Bower,

I want to see when he tries again w/out having to stop.Note the charger, though 50kW, was rated for 125A.

Maybe bro1999 can do a test for us when gets his.

125 a dc? What voltage?

bro1999

bro1999

Jan 10th, 2017 (2:07 pm)

Kdawg:
    George Stuart Bower,

Maybe bro1999 can do a test for us when gets his.

Is Onstar giving me bogus location updates (entirely possible), or was the dude I spoke to over the phone today giving me bogus information?

Really wishing I spent a few more bucks on shipping…

Jan 10th, 2017 (2:11 pm)

john1701a: release a Voltec SUV

How is that a ‘missed’ opportunity? GM has not done it yet, but, neither has anybody else. As with Volt, without competition to validate the build, sales will be soft.

Look at Volt sales in December after Prime and Bolt were released. Most sales in one month ever. Almost double the run rate of 2k/month.

George Stuart Bower

George Stuart Bower

Jan 10th, 2017 (2:39 pm)

bro1999: I called the shipper, and they said the truck with my Bolt is on the road, but when I check via Onstar app, it says my Bolt is still parked in the shipper’s holding area. wtf!

Really wishing I spent a few more bucks on shipping…

How can u be getting on star already?

bro1999

bro1999

Jan 10th, 2017 (2:55 pm)

George Stuart Bower: How can u be getting on star already?

Using my ninja skills. 🙂

dutch husky

dutch husky

Jan 10th, 2017 (3:22 pm)

Well done, GM. GM’s won six of the last 11 NACOTY awards. Plus a couple of NATOTY’s. I hope they can impress the car buying public the way they’ve impressed the journalists.

And I can’t wait till my local dealer has one to test drive but it’ll be months I’m sure, even though Bolts are built a mere 2 1/2 hours away…

Kdawg

Kdawg

Jan 10th, 2017 (3:33 pm)

dutch husky: GM’s won six of the last 11 NACOTY awards. Plus a couple of NATOTY’s. I hope they can impress the car buying public the way they’ve impressed the journalists.

Chevrolet also won the most JD Power dependability awards again this year. And they are 4 years running, being #1 in initial quality awards.

john1701a

john1701a

Jan 10th, 2017 (9:06 pm)

Loboc: How is that a ‘missed’ opportunity?

Sales went to guzzlers instead… a lot of sales. What is GM waiting for? Seriously. Why no announcement of any sort, especially from an automaker which thrives on publicity like that?

There should at least be something to look forward to. Way back in early 2005, there were hybrid SUVs. Where is GM’s plug-in taking advantage of the already well established Voltec?

With gen-2 Volt widely available, it makes sense to shift focus and set an expectation on what GM primarily sells… not compact cars… SUVs. What is the delay?