Jun 30

Tesla approved for first full-service location in New Jersey

Side note – Last week also a deal with NJ’s neighboring state, Pennsylvania, has limited the EV maker to five stores there.

It was a compromise between Tesla and a move by the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers, which represents 12 automakers but not Tesla.

Meanwhile, in China, a known protestor of Tesla took a wrench to his own Model S’ windshield. Had Tesla racked up miles on it prior to delivery? Unclear is why he said “I feel like I just married a woman who has been married before” in his protest of Tesla’s “arrogance” in damaging his own car.

668xNxTesla_Store_King_of_Prussia.jpgMic_.ABIalDwBiI.jpg,Mce_.ABIalDwBiI.jpg.pagespeed.ce.ABIalDwBiI

And as for the Garden State, Tesla is still awaiting what is hoped to be a favorable ruling by the New Jersey State Senate to resume unfettered sales, but for now it’s been OK’d for New Jersey’s first all-in-one sales, service, and Supercharging location in Paramus, N.J.

On Thursday, the Paramus Zoning Board of Adjustment gave the green light to the electric car maker to open a 27,000-square-foot service center and new Tesla store with Supercharging and other charging infrastructure.

The approval flies in the face of a March Motor Vehicle Commission ruling barring such facilities, and the law against it is still on the books, but on June 16 the state’s assembly voted 77-0 in favor of a bill now needing approval by the senate and governor.

SEE ALSO: Tesla Appeals New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission Regulations

Since April Tesla Motors has had its two stores – Garden State Plaza and Short Hills – relegated to “gallery” status to show and educate but with strict rules against selling cars. It also has a Supercharger facility in Hamilton Township.

Tesla says it has 807 Tesla owners now within a 25-mile radius of the proposed North Jersey site on Route 17 where it intends to convert the former Sixth Avenue Electronics Store.

Design Manager for Tesla, Christy Ortins told NorthJersey.com that Paramus was chosen as Tesla’s nearby Garden State Plaza location proves there are a lot more customers waiting to be found in the region.

“There seems to be quite a market here where there are people who are forward-looking” she said of the relatively affluent area which serves in part as a bedroom community for New York.

The location along Route 17 is already “becoming a magnet for luxury car brands” as North Jersey household incomes include some that top the charts nationwide.

Tesla’s Route 17 facility aims to have three Superchargers, seven conventional chargers open seven days a week, and the sales and service facility are to be open all days except Sunday.

This entry was posted on Monday, June 30th, 2014 at 5:55 am and is filed under General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Jun 30th, 2014 (8:04 am)

Great news! When Tesla gets their more affordable models out, and people realize they can drive around on ~$1.00/gallon fuel, or even free, other car dealers will be begging their franchisors for more electric offerings.

Jun 30th, 2014 (8:05 am)

I have travelled and stayed in New Jersey a few times, and I am glad that the Tesla showroom will open. I still cannot believe that the State will allow the sale of imports that suck money from American buyers, yet will not support an true American product.

Meanwhile, we have no news about the 2015 Chevy Spark EV, after the first year of the 2014 model has passed. GM is letting the competition build its market and will fall behind when the import EVs arrive in August by the thousands.

Jun 30th, 2014 (8:37 am)

——-
    I understand being angry. I don’t understand destroying your own car (or anything for that matter). Be an adult for Pete’s sake.

Jun 30th, 2014 (8:56 am)

kdawg:
    ——-
    I understand being angry.I don’t understand destroying your own car (or anything for that matter).Be an adult for Pete’s sake.

This article is good news. I’ve always sided with Tesla and the consumer on this issue.

Jun 30th, 2014 (9:29 am)

Tesla has gone way beyond the 1,000 square foot requirement proposed last year on page 10:

Good to see the all-in-one location. Reminds me of the early Tesla Motors locations in Westwood and Newport Beach that were also combined sales and service. Those locations were very impressive, but small compared with their current service centers.

Tom

Tom

Jun 30th, 2014 (10:16 am)

‘georgeBower,

No, there is clearly body damage if you look at the picture – the hood is completely out of alignment.

He definitely hit more than the windshield. What a spoiled little baby. Too bad you can’t buy intelligence and common sense…

Jeff Cobb

Jeff Cobb

Jun 30th, 2014 (10:32 am)

Tom: the hood is completely out of alignment.

Out of alignment or just popped, and at an angle?

This is a new one on the showroom with the hood popped –

IMG_6375

This is the one in China –

BN-DL526_tesla0_G_20140627074858

(Quote)  (Reply)

Jun 30th, 2014 (10:54 am)

Jeff Cobb,

That’s what I thought, someone just forgot to shut the Frunk.

Either way, it will cost a lot to replace that windshield; but if you can afford a Tesla in China.. I don’t think that even matters.

(Quote)  (Reply)

Jun 30th, 2014 (11:35 am)

I like this comment:

Tesla suggested Mr. Yu take delivery of one of its showroom display cars or he wait for another month to get a new car from the U.S. Mr. Yu said neither of the Tesla proposals satisfied him and driving a display car is just not the same.

“I feel like I just married a woman who has been married before,” he said.

I have bought store display items many times. I get a large discount but with the same new warranty. If Tesla sold me a showroom display Model S with a $25,000 discount, I will take it!

(Quote)  (Reply)

Jun 30th, 2014 (11:37 am)

In an attempt at mature behavior, I will refrain from my usual comment about Tesla.

Tom: What a spoiled little baby. Too bad you can’t buy intelligence and common sense…

I dunno, sounds like he would fit right in here, LOL. +1

‘georgeBower: He was careful to only damage the windshield. It was more of a publicity stunt than anything else.

Any ink is good ink in the “brand economy”. +1

If the Kardashians and Paris Hilton can become celebrities, why not this guy?

kdawg: but if you can afford a Tesla in China.. I don’t think that even matters.

If you are a “brand economy” candidate and can get your image all over the world for the price of one little windshield it’s highly cost effective IMHO. Too bad he didn’t make a real statement and set the SOB on fire, hahaha.

(Quote)  (Reply)

Jun 30th, 2014 (11:45 am)

Now that the subject of Tesla comes up, it takes me back to Friday’s article on the electric Benz. If the Benz’s “drivetrain” was engineered by Tesla, does that mean that it is powered by a bunch of cell phone batteries soldered together like a Model S?

If so, another excellent reason not to buy one IMHO. The battery in a Spark is about 100 times more sophisticated if you ask me.

(Quote)  (Reply)

Jun 30th, 2014 (11:47 am)

Raymondjram: “I feel like I just married a woman who has been married before,” he said.

Yeah, plus women who have been married before work just fine and quite often have much better attitudes than first timers, LOL. +1

(Quote)  (Reply)

Jun 30th, 2014 (12:05 pm)

Now that I think about it, I wonder if the guy is on Elon’s payroll, LOL. Not only Mr. Yu, but Tesla’s name gets blasted around the world for free yet again. People remember the name long after they forget the context.

Kent

Kent

Jun 30th, 2014 (12:21 pm)

Noel Park:

If the Kardashians and Paris Hilton can become celebrities, why not this guy?

Because they are pretty girls and as usual, pretty girls get away with ‘stuff’. This guy should have hired a pretty girl to beat up his Tesla for him.

'georgeBower

Jun 30th, 2014 (12:56 pm)

Noel Park:

Too bad he didn’t make a real statement and set the SOB on fire, hahaha.

Those seem like contradictory statements but +1 anyway. :)

Jun 30th, 2014 (1:02 pm)

Kent: Because they are pretty girls

Kim Kardashian?

Jun 30th, 2014 (1:05 pm)

Kent: Because they are pretty girls and as usual, pretty girls get away with ‘stuff’.

Well yeah, but there are lots of pretty girls, and many with more brains and talent than the aforementioned, and they don’t become international celebrities. It’s all about having the advisors and the skills to get your name out there and create the “brand”. And a few X rated videos don’t hurt either, LOL.

Kent: This guy should have hired a pretty girl to beat up his Tesla for him.

Good idea! maybe next time. +1

Jun 30th, 2014 (1:07 pm)

‘georgeBower: Those seem like contradictory statements but +1 anyway.

Moi? NEVER, LOL!

Sorry, I guess it’s like a well intentioned New Years resolution that you find you just can’t live up to. Somehow Elon just brings out the worst in me, hahaha. +1

Jun 30th, 2014 (1:16 pm)

‘georgeBower: Kim Kardashian?

Oh I dunno, I find that the “o-word”er I get the less picky I am. She doesn’t look that bad to me, at least from the waist up, LOL. Which isn’t really fair either, because I don’t see the problem with her derriere that some folks profess to.

Not that it’s an original thought, but I’m just saying that the whole package somehow doesn’t rise to the level of international celebrityhood IMHO. So it just shows the power of inspired press agentry and “good ink’.

Of course V. Stiviano didn’t last that long, and I’m sure that Mr. Yu won’t either. But I bet that the “T-word” sticks in a few more folks’ minds, hahaha.

Kent

Kent

Jun 30th, 2014 (1:29 pm)

‘georgeBower: Kim Kardashian?

I find her attractive….not on the top of my list, but still attractive. Definitely looks better than a Prius!

Jun 30th, 2014 (3:04 pm)

Well it’s pretty funny when you think of it. Mr. Yu got a lot more attention here today than the main story about the Tesla facility. And Kim K. isn’t doing too bad either, LOL. With apologies to P.T. Barnum, nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public, hahaha. Of which I proudly count myself as a member, I hasten to add.

Jun 30th, 2014 (4:11 pm)

Noel Park: #16

Oh I dunno, I find that the “o-word”er I get the less picky I am.

Kent: Definitely looks better than a Prius!

Choice comments today.

Don’t ask me.

I said I thought Mary Barra was pretty……

….and then Eco called me old

Jeff Cobb

Jeff Cobb

Jun 30th, 2014 (4:17 pm)

789846195224680517

In any event, here’s the Navy’s new and largest destroyer which may in time get a rail gun – its the Navy’s first electric powered ship since escort ships in the 40s and uses modified Rolls-Royce Trent 800 engines as gensets.

“In this instance, the turbines themselves won’t propel the ship, but they’ll provide electricity for the ship’s generators, which will generate 78 Megawatts of power – enough electricity for 10,000 homes.”

Normally these engines are built for the Boeing 777-200, 777-200LR and 777-300. On planes, each Trent 800 provides 75,000-95,000 pounds of thrust.

Jun 30th, 2014 (4:28 pm)

Jeff Cobb: Is this ironic? We as a nation are developing more and more terrifying weapons, including ships to do, among other things, protect oil rights, and such …

Amen brother. +1

If all of the $$$ squandered by man on wars and weapons of war during the course of history had bee used to improve our standard of living we would all be living like Kim Kardashian and have nothing to fight over. Alas, the endless lust for power and dominance prevents it.

Jeff Cobb

Jeff Cobb

Jun 30th, 2014 (4:29 pm)

Noel Park,

You got that right! +1.

Jun 30th, 2014 (4:32 pm)

‘georgeBower: I said I thought Mary Barra was pretty……
    ….and then Eco called me old

Shows you what he knows, LOL. +1

A good looking woman with a very successful career – works for me!

Although, if they have very many more recalls, she might start getting a little bit snappish when she gets home from work…………………………

rdunniii

rdunniii

Jun 30th, 2014 (5:35 pm)

If it were Elon I’d give the guy his money back and tell him to never darken my doorway again. But’s that why I’m not a business person.

The first major US Navy ships to use electric propulsion were the battle cruisers Lexington and Saratoga which became the aircraft carriers of the same name. And were used more than once to provide shore power to places (I think Portland, OR and Honolulu, HI) when their fixed power plants failed for one reason or another.

I decline to say anything about Kim Kardashian’s appearance until she steps out of the body suit that makes her look like she does.

Gee, I married a woman who was married before and we have been married for 32 years.

To me the worst form of welfare in this country is paying people to build all the war material the DoD does not want and that we end up giving to both sides of a conflict to kill each other so they can both hate us.

Jun 30th, 2014 (5:35 pm)

Jeff Cobb,

Noel Park,

“GM Unviels compensation plan”

General Motors Co. GM +0.76% ‘s compensation plan for victims of 2.6 million defective small cars would offer payments for any accidents in which the air bags in the cars failed to deploy, and offer bigger payouts to victims who accepted out-of-court settlements before the auto maker recalled the vehicles.

“Under the program, the nation’s largest auto maker would provide compensation checks ranging from $20,000 to several million dollars to any driver, passenger, pedestrian or occupant of another vehicle who can show they were hurt in a crash involving cars GM recalled this year for faulty ignition switches.

Compensation expert Kenneth Feinberg unveiled a broad settlement plan that will compensate victims in accidents involving General Motors vehicles with defective ignition switches. Joe White joins MoneyBeat. Photo: Getty Images.

The program has no overall dollar limit, ”

WSJ

Jun 30th, 2014 (6:31 pm)

‘georgeBower: “GM Unviels compensation plan”

‘georgeBower: The program has no overall dollar limit, ”

A cautionary tale for anyone who wants to get into the car business it would seem.

I spoke to a friend at a local Chevy dealer today. He said that they are getting overwhelmed by all of the “campaigns”. He said that they do get reimbursed by GM for the work, but the margins are very thin and that they would much prefer to be doing their regular service work.

Poor Ms. Barra is obviously facing a massive challenge. I wonder if she ever regrets that she left the engineering department. “Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.”

Dan Petit/Petit Technical College

Dan Petit/Petit Technical College

Jun 30th, 2014 (7:44 pm)

In discussing the failure of the deployment of the airbags of any
    vehicle, it it not usually a matter of rprogramming whatsoever.
    Primarily, engineers do not know REALLY how the analog system
    malfunctions.
    The absolute solutions can’t be published here due to SAFETY reasons
    as arrogance would make for more danger, not less.
    Arrogance in disbelief sysems is not worth tolerating.

For FIVE YEARS the source of the answer to this has been
    kindly listed on THE STATE OF TEXAS DPS website.
    I have been told that “The other States want it [my Seminar
    Number 1].”
    Yet there isno way to compensate me to perform
    responsible and thorough quality controlled distribution.

As was commented here the other day:
    Technicians used to have influence in corporate structure
    but nowaday, they have none.

It sure shows.

It is easy to predict how soon a shop will fail when the new
    owners rely upon a tool truck driver for diagnostic help.

PSSST!!!
    He’s A TRUCK DRIVER!!!
    And, BTW techs AT DEALERS also listen to him!

Dan Petit/Petit Technical College

Dan Petit/Petit Technical College

Jun 30th, 2014 (7:53 pm)

Pardon the messy post above, got cut off
    again.

Jun 30th, 2014 (8:05 pm)

Noel Park:

Poor Ms. Barra is obviously facing a massive challenge.

I wonder if she ever regrets that she left the engineering department.“Be careful what you ask for, you might get it.”

Right on.
    She probably doesn’t give a sh*t about the big bucks now. I know I wouldn’t. Have you ever seen a US President that didn’t get gray hair??

(You can’t count Ronnie because we all know he dyed it.)

Dan Petit/Petit Technical College

Dan Petit/Petit Technical College

Jun 30th, 2014 (8:34 pm)

I really lke Mrs. Barra. She has a respectful dignity about
    her which she conveys to everyone.
    Yes, she has a set of extreme responsibilities for the recalls.

The recall workload in the service bays can be mostly offset
    on most vehicles with both diagnostic time savings and with
    the modest income from many of the vehicles with our new
    process, which quickly prove within 30 seconds the small root causes for minor but important problems that are always the next right things to do anyway.
    Owners also immediately see and feel positve differences in
    functions which they themselves know best, also anyway.

Engineers who also have been techs in our classes do not like anything that does not represent what they feel is a scholastic complexity (their historically vested economics) as a controllable process.

As they had bought into years of electrical engineering,
    yet here is this technician instructor who, if I may say so,
    has formulas structured down to first grade arithmetic that answer *directly*, questions engineers and entire departments can not solve with conventional wisdom.

First grade arithmetic formulations tend to undo his thunder
    when these formulations assert all manner of renewed profitability from fixing the right first-things-first.

This renewed profitability and customer satisfaction are applicable universally to ALL automotive business models
    at all levels of ALL automotive technologies.

A compact hidden analog universe is opened up, so if an engineer is not threatened or jealous of it, he or she would be excited by it. The techs I certify in it are always excited and
    impressed with it.

The question remaining is: Is anyone allowed to believe that
    or do that anymore?

Jun 30th, 2014 (9:05 pm)

‘georgeBower:Have you ever seem a US President that didn’t get gray hair??

A few had no hair. Does that count?

Sean

Sean

Jun 30th, 2014 (10:16 pm)

Maybe he was embarrassed because Tesla was in deep trouble but yeah who on earth wants to wreck there own beautiful Sports EV.

I sure wouldn’t!

Unless he’s either a Multi million or billionaire who can afford hundreds or thousands of Model S’s?

Also I’m glad that Mr. Musk got to open some new direct sale stores and a new plant but I just don’t get it why some States just don’t want him to run his own buisnes in other States?

Also I’ll agree with comment #1 if the big American auto companies don’t listen I hope they will when Mr.Musk releases the Model X and as well that mysterious pick up truck of his as I hope these two new vehicles will wake up both the general public and especially the auto companies.

The Future Is Electric Not Hydrogen.

Jul 1st, 2014 (12:07 am)

‘georgeBower: Have you ever seen a US President that didn’t get gray hair??

JFK?

Jul 1st, 2014 (12:08 am)

Jeff Cobb: If we’re so good at creating electrified transportation, why don’t we just do that — for our cars? Like we really mean it?

(sorry, gettin my conspiracy on)

Jul 1st, 2014 (11:41 am)

kdawg: JFK?

I have no doubt that he would have if he had lived through 2 full terms.

Jul 1st, 2014 (11:42 am)

kdawg: But then how will the oil industry make trillions in profits over the next few decades?

(sorry, gettin my conspiracy on)

Don’t be sorry. +1

As my Dad used to say, “It’s too true to be funny”.

Dexi

Dexi

Jul 1st, 2014 (10:38 pm)

A Tesla service station? So they can do what, change the tires and the wiper blades?

Tesla should advertise their service station workers like the Maytag man – nothing to do all day long since the solid state technology isn’t breaking.