Jan 27

Testimonial from a passionate Chevrolet Volt owner

By Chuck Abell

My Chevrolet Volt story began in 2010. After following news reports and releases about Chevrolet’s new E-REV in 2008, I became fascinated with the idea of owning and commuting with an automobile that had power and delivery and would put to rest the paradigm that electric vehicles could not keep up with gas guzzlers.

Chevy_Volt

In 2010, as GM announced a large introductory release of the premier battery powered, electric motor drive vehicle with gas-generator backup, I became even more entranced with the idea that I might rarely ever have to pay for gasoline again. Gas was over $3.90 a gallon and rising and our options for automobile fuel was looking bleak. Ethanol was introduced or forced on drivers who did not know what they were putting in their tanks!

As a loyal, 23-year Chevrolet customer and an owner of a 2003 Silverado 2500HD, I felt it was my time to switch vehicles that would enable me to carry cargo, or people or both, and that it would involve a higher consumption of electricity vs. oil.

My wife and I looked at other “Hybrids” but none really seemed to solve the get-off-oil answer. They were more focused on barely increasing mpg. To me, mpg means you are filling a gas tank. That was not a solution. Before other electric cars were made available, Chevrolet (GM) was leading the charge, that we could have vehicles with more options.

Volt_owner

My first Chevrolet Volt was a 2011, and I leased it in December 2010! Hands down. It was the BEST automobile I have ever owned!

I was skeptical before my test drive. It looked small (coming from a pick-up truck) and I was not sure it would drive like a European styled sports car. As I sat in the car and pushed the power button, I noticed the comfortable bucket seats fitting like a glove and the swoosh sound as the car powered on. I felt like I was sitting in a sporty starship! On the test drive, I had to test acceleration, cornering and braking!

I had a big smile as I noticed there was no gear shifting in the acceleration and the breaking was immediatly responsive. My test drive led me through some pretty winding roads and I immediately noticed the wide wheel base and low center of gravity made the vehicle hug the road and not leave the lane as I steered.

My only complication was that it was out of my purchase price range, but I could afford to lease. It got me through Washington, D.C.’s snowmagedon, trips to South Carolina and two-hour commutes in D.C. daily. I loved this automobile from day one and never had a single complaint about it! I survived two fender benders with it, and was thankful for the super-safe cabin as rated by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. I really felt as secure in this car as I did my 2003 Silverado!

Volt_EVSE

My 2011 Chevy Volt three-year lease adventure was so awesome, I set my sites on purchasing the 2014 Chevy Volt. On December 23, 2013 my dream came true. Thanks to Clark Sharp at Pohanka Chevrolet, I am now the proud owner of a 2014 Volt which was priced right, $13,000 less than what I paid for my 2011 Volt.

I am at 740 commuting miles in my new vehicle, and I can tell you, I am receiving more compliments on this model than I did on the previous version.  If you like smart phones and tablets vs. PC towers and wired telephones, you will absolutely love the 2014 Chevrolet Volt! This car keeps you connected, on the battery or on the gas tank!

Volt_plugged_in

My goal is to drive from charging station to charging station and share with friends how many gallons of gas I purchase a year. I bet it will be less than 120 gallons ($430) a year, which is what I used to use every month at 1,440 gallons a year or $6,000. My electric bill averages $0.40 an hour at 8 hours per day ($3.20 daily or roughly $806.40 a year). These are my ball park figures based on my electric bill, paid charging through Chargepoint and gas receipts over the last three years.

This entry was posted on Monday, January 27th, 2014 at 5:55 am and is filed under General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

James McQuaid

James McQuaid

Jan 27th, 2014 (6:24 am)

Congratulations Chuck on purchasing your 2014 Volt, and thank you for sharing your experiences with the 2011 Volt!

WVhybrid

WVhybrid

Jan 27th, 2014 (7:10 am)

Nice story, Chuck. Congratulations on your new Volt !

xiaowei1

xiaowei1

Jan 27th, 2014 (7:24 am)

Great story – my favourite bit was you love the Volt so much, you went and bought one after leasing for 3 years; product loyalty.

Jan 27th, 2014 (8:10 am)

From the article: My wife and I looked at other “Hybrids” but none really seemed to solve the get-off-oil answer. They were more focused on barely increasing mpg. To me, mpg means you are filling a gas tank. That was not a solution.

This was our realization as well. Efficiency will never make us energy independent. Efficiency will never stop climate change. We need alternatives to oil.

Once plug-ins start to go mainstream, battery prices will drop significantly. Shortly thereafter, we’ll start to see big EREV pickup trucks and SUVs. As the all-electric range increases, people will stop caring about efficiency.

Electricity is already cheap, and with solar panel prices plunging, I can’t see how utilities can raise kWh prices without causing a massive shift to home solar. Electric utilities will probably start raising their fixed minimum charge and including some number of “free” kWh, similar to cell phone plans. As home solar goes mainstream, the majority of the bill from the electric utility may become this fixed price. This is how the utilities will compete against home solar. Eventually, when solar panels and battery prices get low enough, more people will go off-grid altogether. Natural gas generators will be used to fill in during prolonged rainy periods (like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C2LV5O0).

In any case, with the availability of cheap solar panels, I don’t see how the utilities can raise the price for additional kW-hours. With cheap abundant electricity and cheap Li/Ion batteries, who will care about efficiency?

Jan 27th, 2014 (8:18 am)

Excellent article! The best proof of any quality vehicle purchase is a repeat purchase! I do envy you as I have followed this forum since November 2010, yet no local GM dealer will sell a Chevy Volt (they do sell the 2014 Corvette Stingray!), and probably because it competes with their gas engined vehicle sales. So I am one of the few that suffer “VES” (Volt Envy Syndrome) a phase coined by a fellow member until he bough his own Volt later.

Have fun and enjoy your two Volts (that sounds like a small battery supply).

'georgeBower

'georgeBower

Jan 27th, 2014 (8:24 am)

Thx for sharing Chuck. Nice to hear from one of “the old ones”.

Breezy

Breezy

Jan 27th, 2014 (8:33 am)

Great story Chuck. Thanks for sharing it.

CaliVolt

CaliVolt

Jan 27th, 2014 (9:24 am)

Your experience is quite similar to mine. I followed the car since the 2007 Detroit Auto Show debut. Much of what I read everyday came from Lyle at this website!
    Although I have always loved cars, there just wasn’t anything that really felt like it was truly advancing the experience, except the Tesla Roadster, which was out of my price range.
    I remember how difficult it was to find a dealer in Northern California that would sell one of the initial Volts to me w/o charging a premium above MSRP. I ordered and took delivery on VIN #136 on Dec 30th 2010, after driving 100 miles past a 1/2 dozen other Chevy dealerships. It was my first Chevrolet. It just came off lease, 42000 miles and 3 years later – I replaced it with a 2014 Volt on Dec 26th.
    Although I really miss my original, I love how the new one has often been able to drive my hilly 42 mile round trip commute w/o gas!
    Congrats and happy gas free driving to you,
    -Wayne

Tim Hart

Tim Hart

Jan 27th, 2014 (9:32 am)

Thanks for sharing and as a two year owner that began planning to purchase as soon as the Volt was announced, I could really relate to your story. The only mystery is how few have discovered the greatness of this car!

Jan 27th, 2014 (10:39 am)

A very encouraging report that encourages a Volt purchase. GM should create a print version and have it at the dealer rack of information. Having user reports on the GM web site would help switch a customer from lease to purchase. Sales would improve as well.

Most of all, Chuck’s report should be required reading for every Chevrolet employee. Successful EV sales occur when people are excited about reducing oil consumption. Those who don’t care need retraining. From clerk to CEO, a change of attitude is the key to success.

Storm

Storm

Jan 27th, 2014 (11:19 am)

I’m pretty sure that the only volts that are sold is when a customer comes in requesting one. Salesman will certainly not suggest it. They have the most advanced car on the planet, available at a reasonable cost, and they will not even suggest buying one.

Jan 27th, 2014 (11:28 am)

Mark Z: From clerk to CEO, a change of attitude is the key to success.

I don’t know if it’s going to happen at all of (most of?) the existing Chevy dealers. I really wish GM had created a new line of electrified vehicles and opened dealerships that were specifically for this line of cars. I understand Tesla’s resistance to going to a dealer network, where they are not in control of their EV products.

Blind Guy

Blind Guy

Jan 27th, 2014 (12:20 pm)

Hmm, it sounds like Chuck has found his niche ;) . We waited until the 2013 model to purchase ours. We have time on our side now and probably won’t consider buying our next EREV until there is even more AER (60-80) and or an affordable BEV w/200 mile range. Riding around in our Volt and being able to use my Iphone 5 w/VO voice-over feature; I feel like I am in the future now or I’m just getting older faster! LOL.

Jan 27th, 2014 (12:52 pm)

Thanks for the article Chuck. The Volt is an awesome car and it’s great that you’ve been able to experience that first hand with two!

Storm: I believe the majority of dealers do not wish to sell volts. Their profit comes after the sale, and the Volt requires very little brakes, oil changes, tuneups etc.

+1 on that although some dealers have a longer view and realize that if you or a family member buys a Chevy, any Chevy, it gives the brand more mindshare moving forward.

bobchr

bobchr

Jan 27th, 2014 (1:04 pm)

Perhaps GM should sell separate dealership franchises for EREV’s and BEV’s exclusively and offer the current dealership establishments a chance to participate. The profit motive and cash flow would be different, you would not need as much sales staff you would have in house Volt advisers and there would be Volt only specialist technicians. They would be equipped with fast charge bays and all the necessary tools for software and hard ware upgrades. Models could be sold like Tesla according to battery sizes and BMW as to whether of not they have a range extended, even to the point of offering different type range extenders, (turbo 3 gas or diesel 2 cylinder). Like Tesla they can charge for upgrades after the fact and would be empowered to even do performance upgrades. This is where the traditional car dealership sales model and GM fails the Volt. This could easily be done by allowing more field installed options. Larger dealerships could even do cabin modifications like a stretch ELR with suicide rear doors like the i3. Heat pump installs that would mitigate ERDTT occurrences. There are probably a hundred ways to go with ths but GM and the Dealerships both have to give a little in the traditional relationship.

bobchr

bobchr

Jan 27th, 2014 (1:06 pm)

kdawg,

Sorry KDawg did not mean to repeat you , I guess I was writing my post as you were posting yours.

Neromanceres

Neromanceres

Jan 27th, 2014 (1:09 pm)

Excellent Article!

I can still remember the day in January 2007 when I checked the updates on the North American International Autoshow during lunch at work. I screamed Holy S**t that’s brillant! I’ve been hooked ever since. The 2011 model was not sold in Canada. I couln’t quite pull the trigger on a 2012. On a buisness trip to Texas I visited a dealer and they were nice enough to let me test drive their 2011 demo. My addiction got worse. Finally I went to the dealer in late spring of 2012. And I placed an order for my 2013 Volt from the factory. Love the car. Not a fan of the dealerships. Car hasn’t been perfect as I have had a few minor problems however I enjoy driving it all the time.

`Noel Park

`Noel Park

Jan 27th, 2014 (1:17 pm)

Thanks for the nice report. I will have had my Volt for 3 years on March 11. Maybe I will submit a similar report then.

Streetlight

Streetlight

Jan 27th, 2014 (2:36 pm)

kdawg: Mark Z: From clerk to CEO, a change of attitude is the key to success.

Right on. Its partly training. if GM required every tech no matter the specialty, to attain a high level of EV fundamentals, before touching a tool box…then VOLT or any other EV servicing course as straightforward as any other specialty course.

Its also brand. I’d vote for reestablishing the GM EV line — EV1 history aside.

As it turns out that VOLT is super reliable, there’s zero pressure to train EV fundamentals to 100% of the service corps.

Dave - Phoenix

Dave - Phoenix

Jan 27th, 2014 (2:43 pm)

Nice article Chuck.

Your story mirrors mine:

Hybrids didn’t fit our needs either.
    The Volt lease price made it affordable for me.

In Phoenix it was nearly a year later that we were able to get our Volt. Arizona was one of the last states to offer the Volt.

We are also looking to buy a Volt next year when the lease is over “if” we can find a deal that fits into our budget…

flmark

flmark

Jan 27th, 2014 (3:24 pm)

Always great to read the stories. Jeff had me write up my version for hybridcars last year:

As mentioned by someone else, solar is (perhaps) the next step in your journey. There is no greater feeling that burning nothing but photons. Happy Volting!

Jan 27th, 2014 (3:29 pm)

Somewhat OT, but related to leasing a new plug-in.

I’m helping a friend with leasing a Fusion Energi. This seems like a good deal to me, but I’d like to hear from anyone who wants to weigh in, as leasing is not my forte.

2014 Fusion Energi SE
    24 months
    10,500 mi/year
    with trade-in valued at $2k
    Cash due $754

Payment = $265/mo

David

David

Jan 27th, 2014 (4:05 pm)

I also picked up my 2011 Volt on December 18, 2010. Due to my driving patterns I chose to purchase my Volt. After 3+ years, 51,453 total miles, and 248 mpg lifetime, I am still thrilled with the economy and performance of the Volt.

volted2012

volted2012

Jan 27th, 2014 (4:17 pm)

If GM Europe decides not to offer a Volt 2.0 in Europe, I’m gone.

Unless, that is, they come up with a really good alternative. EV, of course.

If GM does not give me a choice I won’t go for an ELR.

I’m seeing a LEAF 2.0 on the horizon.

Kent

Kent

Jan 27th, 2014 (4:46 pm)

I recall reading about the Volt during the auto show back in 2007. Right after reading the article, I told my wife I was buying a new car. She was a little stunned since we had just purchased a new car two months earlier. I told her not to worry since the Volt wouldn’t be ready for a few more years. After following it’s development over the years, I was one of the first on the waiting list for a 2011 Volt. However, by that time, I heard that the 2012 would be eligible for HOV stickers and CA tax credits so I waited for a 2012. Unfortunately for me, when the 2012s came out, it had not been updated yet so I waited for nothing and finally purchased my 2012 Volt in August 2011. Not long afterwards, they came out with the 2012.5 so I missed out on the HOV and tax credit. After driving the Volt for a year, we purchased a 2013 exactly one year to the day of getting the 2012. As with all of you, we couldn’t be any happier with our Volts!

Emmsys

Emmsys

Jan 27th, 2014 (5:13 pm)

Great story, thanks for sharing! Buying a new Volt after leasing one for 3 years really says it all!

Evil GOP

Evil GOP

Jan 27th, 2014 (5:33 pm)

(click to show comment)

steve

steve

Jan 27th, 2014 (5:57 pm)

Storm:
    I’m pretty sure that the only volts that are sold is when a customer comes in requesting one. Salesman will certainly not suggest it.They have the most advanced car on the planet, available at a reasonable cost, and they will not even suggest buying one.

Then they’ve been losing money on me for years. I don’t go to the dealer to change oil, brake pads, air filters. All that maintenance stuff is dead simple and any independent garage can do that stuff too.

barry252

barry252

Jan 27th, 2014 (6:29 pm)

Chuck,
    I’m amazed at how similar my story is to yours. Like you, I’ve always had an interest in Electric Vehicles and was disappointed when GM wouldn’t lease me an EV1 back in the day.(I live in Maryland) But the Volt caught my eye the second I learned about the EREV concept. I quickly joined GM-Volt.com and followed Lyle’s adventured thru his Mini-E and the VCAB trials. When GM announced the early dealers, I polled the DC dealers and found the right one that asked me the right questions…where will you plug it in?…how will you use it….etc. Ourisman Chevrolet in Bowie, MD is 54 miles and 12 Chevy dealers away, but they were great! I ordered the Volt in August, 2010 and picked it up on December 18, 2010. We have Volt no. 63. I bought the car to take advantage of all the tax credits.
    My challenge now, is what do I do for my next car? I can’t afford the ELR, so I think I’ll wait for Volt Gen2.

Happy Volting!

VOLT 63

`Noel Park

`Noel Park

Jan 27th, 2014 (6:43 pm)

barry252: My Volt has done everything I planned for it. EV all week and gas if necessary on the weekend. What a great car.

When people ask me how I like my Volt that’s exactly what I tell them. +1

Jan 27th, 2014 (6:58 pm)

kdawg:
    Somewhat OT, but related to leasing a new plug-in.
    I’m helping a friend with leasing a Fusion Energi.This seems like a good deal to me, but I’d like to hear from anyone who wants to weigh in, as leasing is not my forte.

2014 Fusion Energi SE
    24 months
    10,500 mi/year
    with trade-in valued at $2k
    Cash due $754
    Payment = $265/mo

Kdwag-

Great pushing these American Made Plug-In Electric Cars, Eh?

I think the biggest thing for your friend to consider is his daily driving distance. The Ford Fusion energy has an AER ( All Electric Range ) of about 20 miles. Winter and frigid driving may dampen this a bit, or a lot as we see in the Chevy Volt EREV however, I have yet to find any data on this yet.

As long as his daily driving is 15- 22 or so miles then he can realize the maximum benefit that we love as well of little gas use.

If NOT, then, well, you know where this is headed! lol

Link Of Course Goes To Chevy Volt Leasing Pages! lol

Best-

Donald Shaw

Donald Shaw

Jan 27th, 2014 (7:31 pm)

Great Article, and it mirrors my experience. I leased a 2011 volt (#572) and it was the best car i ever had , and i now have a 2014 (leased), with lease price dropping from $461 per month to $241.

Jan 27th, 2014 (7:33 pm)

Chuck,

What A Great Chevy Volt Extended Range Electric Vehicle, Owner Review.

I enjoyed reading your evaluation:

“[...]I could purchase an automobile that would get me to work and home on only electricity, and if I wanted to go on extended road trips over 100 miles, it would switch to gas! Wow! What a concept and shift from “old” to “new”. A vehicle that would allow us to transition to new technology. A technology that was not offered by any other affordable manufacturer in 2010![...]”

I was troubled however to see that you are stuck in an area where your utility is charging you the highest per kWh cost for electricity in the country! Even higher then Hawaii, with their imported Diesel Generating Power Plants!

The Average Retail Price of Electricity to Ultimate Customers by End-Use Sector is 12.09 Cents per Kilowatt hour.

Link Goes to E.I.A., US Energy Information Agency-

For me and many other Plug-In Electric Car Owners, our daily electric/fuel cost is less then a buck a day or less then $365.00 a year.

Since I refuel at work on a 110V AC Outlet my electric fuel is even less then most at .50 cents a day to drive 13,400 miles a year and that is not counting my use of over 45 free L2 EV filling stations around my city, including a FREE Solar Carport L2 Station where I top off on a regular basis!

I Just wanted the new readers to understand, beyond your fine points mentioned in your post that driving a Plug-In Electric Car can almost offset the OEM lease payment’s in fuel savings, annually.

……But NOT if one is paying almost four times the national average, in electric cost per, kWh hour to his local utility!

Best-

517-622-6081

Twitter.com/AmazingChevVolt

Jan 27th, 2014 (8:02 pm)

Thomas J. Thias,

Trust me, I tried to explain the benefits of the Volt’s AER, and she does like my Volt, but she’s a Ford girl. So the next best bet in the Ford Family (to me) is the Fusion Energi. Her commute is only 5 miles, and daily travel is about 20 miles. So she should be able to drive pretty much on electricity. I don’t know if the Fusion Energi has the same ERDTT as the Volt does. With these cold temps, my engine runs everyday now.

$265/mo seems like a good deal to me, but like I said, leasing is not my thing.

Jan 27th, 2014 (8:06 pm)

Thomas J. Thias: You state, .40 cents an hour. I assume that you mean .40 a kWh as your figure of electric cost.

Yes, something doesn’t jive here. The DC/Baltimore avg rate is 13c/kWh.

Jan 27th, 2014 (9:35 pm)

kdawg: Yes, something doesn’t jive here.The DC/Baltimore avg rate is 13c/kWh.

Gawd, I’d love to repost this great review and tweet it out, but I can’t allow this disinformation on electric fuel costs to go out to my subscribers and followers.

To Bad… Sad really!

He was so matter of fact…?

Best-

Jan 27th, 2014 (9:41 pm)

kdawg: Yes, something doesn’t jive here.The DC/Baltimore avg rate is 13c/kWh.

Gawd, I’d love to repost this otherwise great Owner review, Tweet it out to my followers and subscribers, BUT,… but, I can’t spread this disinformation on the cost to electric fuel a Plug-In Electric Car!

.12 Cents a kWh IS the National Average, and that is at 12A.

Bout a buck a day!

-For me and many others!

To Bad… Sad really!

He was so matter of fact…?

Best-

517-622-6081

Chuck Abell

Jan 27th, 2014 (10:17 pm)

James McQuaid,

Thanks@James
    James McQuaid,

Chuck Abell

Jan 27th, 2014 (10:27 pm)

Thomas J. Thias,

Thomas Thanks for the consideration, but I live in Virginia and Charging the car at pay lots in D.C. cost an average $0.40 an hour! It is what is! I would love to only pay $0.12 an hour and I believe your numbers for National Average would be correct if the era.gov site a government site has been verified. I work for the Federal Government so I know a little about fudging numbers to Gov’s favor! Thanks for the comment!

Chuck Abell

Jan 27th, 2014 (10:30 pm)

kdawg,

Help me get the $0.12 per hour!

I will add that I am on a level bill pay plan $200 for electric at home and I have never in the last three years seen that bill go up, despite charging at home every night so that would probably be $0.12 an hour.

Chuck Abell

Jan 27th, 2014 (10:34 pm)

kdawg,

Thomas I strongly recommend purchase vs. leasing! Still going through trouble of settling with the leasing bank!

Chuck Abell

Jan 27th, 2014 (10:42 pm)

CaliVolt,

Wayne, Thanks for sharing! Purchase is so much better than lease! I though if I leased the first one, they’d work the bugs out… After driving it for three years, THERE WERE NO BUGS! That car VIN#301 was more reliable and virtually maintenance free than any other car I have ever owned!

Happy Driving your CaliVolt!

Chuck Abell

Jan 27th, 2014 (11:04 pm)

Tim Hart,

@Tim very true! Almost as if this were a word-by-mouth product! We have the hype, where is the rest of the advertising? Nissan, Toyota and Ford advertise their plugins! I really hope GM isn’t just “testing waters”… VOLT blows away all other Plugin vehicles! Of course now I am biased! :)

Thomas J. Thias

Jan 27th, 2014 (11:07 pm)

Chuck Abell:
    kdawg,

Mt Abell, “[…]Trouble Setteling With The Leasing Company[…]”

WHAT?

Chuck Abell

Jan 27th, 2014 (11:09 pm)

Mark Z,

Mark, very kind words, i am very grateful!

Chuck Abell

Jan 27th, 2014 (11:12 pm)

Thomas J. Thias,

@Thomas,

Just got a letter from the bank today even though I paid off final amount, they say I owe for Excessive Wear and Tear and through in a late Fee because I still owe. I am going to fight it, because I purchased a lease protection plan… Too many complications with lease. A purchase is like a lease, bank still owns car but you are not charged excessive fees at the end of the purchase like you are with a lease. Hope this helps.

Chuck Abell

Jan 27th, 2014 (11:19 pm)

Storm,

@Storm, great observation! In 2011, every show room had a VOLT, now you have to find the charging station to see the dealers vehicle they want to sell. Every dealer should have low end and high end versions as well as every color and trim package, just like the Gas Gusseling Vettes and Camaros! Sorry sports car fans, I love the Vette and the Camaro but there are a lot of those not moving off the lots! (my perception, not fact)

Chuck Abell

Jan 27th, 2014 (11:34 pm)

Streetlight,

@Streetlight, Amen! You know a EV service tech when you meet them! Kinda like meeting a Sales Rep who does not know how to operate the door handle vs. the one who knows how to Bluetooth your phone to your new car for you.

Chuck Abell

Jan 27th, 2014 (11:41 pm)

David,

David, That is an impressive record! My life time was 201MPG. DC Did not have a lot of available/affordable charging stations over the last three years.

Chuck Abell

Jan 27th, 2014 (11:45 pm)

barry252,

Best wishes Barry! Stick with the Volt, until a better E-REV comes out! I will have mine for at least the next six years!

Chuck Abell

Jan 27th, 2014 (11:56 pm)

Thomas J. Thias,

@Thomas @Kdawg, just about all caught up and I really appreciate your posts! You both brought up good questions and great responses! One last item I wanted to touch on with you is winter driving and playing the green earth ball game… So summer driving, I saw my most MPGe 38kWhrs per 100 miles (=38MPG gas) when I kept the vehicle under 55 MPH and slow braking, keeping the green earth ball in the middle of the gauge.

During winter months… huge difference. My MPGe dropped as low as 25MPG. The car uses a lot of battery power to heat the car! I am not speed racer, but the car clearly tells you when you are using too much battery power and where (heat or acceleration). Hope this helps, and greatly appreciate your input on cost expectations compared to my experience.

Thomas J. Thias

Jan 28th, 2014 (12:19 am)

Mr. Abell, thank you for the education. I had no idea that public EV Filling Stations, L2 Quick Chargers, cost 40 cents an hour. Add that to your forty cents a kWh you pay at your home as you stated. Wow!

Well- Best-

Thomas J. Thias ~ I am ‘Selling Volts at Sundance’
    Sundance Chevrolet Inc.
    517-622-6081

Twitter. com/AmazingChevVolt

Ps- @cimabell, $14,000 less then then you paid for your MY2011?

Jan 28th, 2014 (12:54 am)

Chuck Abell: So the real cost at average Pay per use Charge Point Station I have used is $0.40 per hour. Am I missing something?
    Help me get the $0.12 per hour!

Jan 28th, 2014 (12:55 am)

Chuck Abell: Thomas I strongly recommend purchase vs. leasing!

Me too, as I paid cash for my Volt (didn’t want to owe anyone anything). But this person can’t really afford to buy at this time.

Jan 28th, 2014 (4:30 am)

Thomas J. Thias ~ I am ‘Selling Volts at Sundance’
    Sundance Chevrolet Inc.
    517-622-6081

@Thomas, Thank you! I hope you have many more sales! And I hope you a sharing with customers the unbelievable maintenance track record of the Volt! I have never owned/leased a vehicle that requires such little maintenance track record as the Volt! I want my daughter to own a vehicle like this someday! $14K less is even better!

Jan 28th, 2014 (4:42 am)

@kdawg The Charge Points by me are free, but anyway, yes I was talking about your home charging. That is the rates I was quoting, and its based on kWh, a unit of energy, not hours a unit of time which may be what Charge Point is using, time. Where do you do most of your charging, at home or at a Charge Point station?

Yes kdawg, that is true the charging station were free for me until 2012 then I was paying as much as $2.00 per Kwh for electricity! I felt I was being gouged and quit using those garages. I was paying about $0.12 per Kwh at home but paying garages 100 times what the electricity was worth every time at Chargepoint stations. I was always looking for the FREE charging stations because if I am paying $16 a day to park in your garage, you should give me free electricity! But the parking garages are trying to make money too! It is just not fare that I have to pay more than $0.12 an hour! Most of the money I paid was to these Paid Parking garages in WA D.C. Home charging was about 30-40% of the time.

Jan 28th, 2014 (5:02 am)

I forgot to mention… so far this year, I have spent $17.51 on gas. If i average that over 12 months is $210 a year! If I don’t take any long road trips, which I will! So between $200-$800 a year on gas; not bad at all!

Glen Jenkins

Glen Jenkins

Jan 28th, 2014 (11:16 am)

I also have been driving a 2011 Volt for 3 years that I leased in March 2011. I ordered my new 2014 Volt 3 weeks ago and was called yesterday that it is built and should arrive in Houston in just a few weeks. That sure beats the 9 months that I waited for my first Volt. This car has been my favorite vehicle since I started driving my CORVAIR back in 1968. As an engineer I truly enjoy the Volt’s technology and await the improvement and enhancements of the 2014 model. As for gasoline useage my Volt is at just under 48 gallons for over 21500 miles of driving with ZERO real problems, defects or failures, thus being the most reliable vehicle that I’ve owned including a few Lexus, Toyotas, Hondas, Mazdas and other makes. We spend about $0.69 a day to drive 20 miles for electricity (cost data from my Blink charger). We pay about 11.7 cents per KWH here in Houston, on our ‘green energy wind power plan’.

Charles Abell

Charles Abell

Jan 28th, 2014 (11:02 pm)

@Glen Jenkins, thanks for sharing, and I am excited for your delivery! I got mine by asking the dealership for a specific vehicle (VIN) and they picked it up for me. Again, why I was so impressed with this dealership. They said yes to everything I wanted, of course they wanted me to be happy! Your first car beats mine! I was the proud owner of a 1974 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe Pick Up 3/4 Ton with a V-8 small block. My dad made me rebuild the engine so I knew it well! I LOVE THE VOLTEC engine, but guarantee you that I will never rebuild it! Best wishes for your new VOLT!