Jan 25

Global Volt sales numbers tallied

The tally for Chevy Volt sales worldwide is in: 24,797 of which 23,461 were in the United States.

IMG_1776
American Volt with a steam-emitting nuke plant off in the distance.

What is the reason for such a small number of buyers courting the Volt? She’s being passed up as suitors are drawn more readily to her prettier sister named Ampera, or so it would appear.

Ampera sales – among variants badged as Opels and Vauxhalls – added another 5,293 units, about 23 percent of the U.S. Volt sales.

Global totals of GM’s E-REV bought therefore add to 30,090 units.

Green Car Reports said it is still attempting to get Leaf sales figures to compare, and it is unclear which car sold more.

This is not news to jump up and down about if you’re a Volt fan, but it’s not bad either. The very fact the Volt exists is remarkable, and 30,090 more of it and its sister went out, and we know Volt owners are statistically among the most satisfied, spreading the word to the curious in the face also of opposition, ignorance and indifference.

270533

What’s more, there are many more plug-in cars being launched now and pending, so the mutual marketing efforts will lead cross-shoppers to the Volt and Ampera again in 2013, and likely in greater numbers.

It was not the 60,000 once upon a time stated as a goal, but it is a solid start. It will take time, no one knows the way the winds will blow, but they do seem to be pushing things in the
right direction, with much more to come.

For those of you who have a Volt, how about you? If you could have bought the Ampera instead of the Volt for a price reasonably close to the same dollar amount, would you have?

Or do you like your Volt better?

Green Car Reports

This entry was posted on Friday, January 25th, 2013 at 5:55 am and is filed under General. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Jan 25th, 2013 (7:04 am)

Over 30,000 Volt/Ampera sales is 2012 – nearly 4 times the 2011 sales! Let’s hope sales continue to grow exponentially.

Recently GM has been dropping a lot of hints about major cost reductions in the next Volt. That should help a sales significantly, However, note that that if sales double in 2014 and then again in 2015, the tax credit would phase out.

By the way, I notice Wikipedia has already been updated with the new numbers.

James McQuaid

James McQuaid

Jan 25th, 2013 (7:09 am)

I like the look of the Volt’s grille more, but the Ampera is also attractive. Generally, I’d choose the Chevrolet badge over that of Opel. Soon one will also be able to also select a Cadillac…

With regard to the energy sources portrayed in the background, I took a photograph of my Volt at Lansing Community College in front of a wind turbine and an array of solar panels. Forty percent (40%) of America’s carbon emissions are from old, dirty power plants (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-obama-climate-20130123,0,589915.story), and many hope that the timetable for their modernization will be shortened. In their cowardice, the reactionaries will complain, but building new stuff (power plants, bridges, damns, skyscrapers, etc.) is how America traditionally measures progress.

pat

pat

Jan 25th, 2013 (7:22 am)

Leaf, Imev are really cutting the prices and offering great lease deals. I am still not convinced of Leaf battery and they did nothing to improve it or make it go 100+ miles on a charge. With limited range and always the thought of getting stuck somewhere with no juice is no comfort. Volt still reigns ahead of BEV in that regard.

Hope that 2013 #s will be better than 2012 and with new model in 2014 suggested improvements by readers on this forum will make a better Volt than today.

Jan 25th, 2013 (7:30 am)

James McQuaid: Forty percent (40%) of America’s carbon emissions are from old, dirty power plants

Recently I heard that U.S. carbon emissions have reduced 40% since 2009, mainly due to cheap natural gas replacing coal for electrical production. So fracking has its upsides.

Meanwhile, owners of coal mines are laying off workers, and blaming it on the government’s new power plant emission standards, and people believe them.

Jan 25th, 2013 (7:49 am)

From the article: Ampera with a less powerful but more treehugger friendly energy generator similarly placed.

GSP

GSP

Jan 25th, 2013 (7:50 am)

That wind generator looks like a 1-2 MW model. Hardly less than the Volts 0.055 MW generator, or 0.111 MW traction motor.

GSP

Roy_H

Roy_H

Jan 25th, 2013 (8:34 am)

The windmill is less powerful than the nuke plant.

The 60k sales figure was bandied about when most of us were thinking the Volt would be in the low $30ks and below $30k with incentives. The fact that 30k have been sold at mostly premium prices is very good. 111 in China at over $70k each!

I find it disappointing that GM has not spread this technology over more popular models. This would have greatly increased sales and the price of specialty components would have come down. The limited number of ELR halo coupes will not change this much.

Jan 25th, 2013 (8:39 am)

test.. think i have a comment stuck in moderation

Jan 25th, 2013 (8:40 am)

Here’s the QR code for the Volt for those who wanted it.

VoltQRcode_zps1e1178a3.jpg

Jan 25th, 2013 (8:47 am)

I think he was talking about the windmill.

lousloot

lousloot

Jan 25th, 2013 (8:51 am)

(click to show comment)

Jan 25th, 2013 (8:52 am)

Good question Jeff.
    I’d definitely go w/ the Ampera. I like its styling more!

Jan 25th, 2013 (9:01 am)

James McQuaid:
    .Forty percent (40%) of America’s carbon emissions are from old, dirty power plants (http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-obama-climate-20130123,0,589915.story), and many hope that the timetable for their modernization will be shortened.

10/4 on that James M. Did you see where the EPA gave that POS coal plant at Lake Powell many more years to clean up it’s act! Then 2 of Arizona’s politicians stood up and proclaimed how silly it would be to impose any stricter emission regs on this plants. which is a blight on both the Grand Canyon and on Lake Powell.

They should replace it with a tree hugging environmentally friendly NUCLEAR PLANT!!!

Jan 25th, 2013 (9:05 am)

Dave G:mainly due to cheap natural gas replacing coal for electrical production.So fracking has its upsides.

There’s a lot of controversy on that. Some say that the leakage of the gas at the well head off sets its clean burning characteristic so it does nothing to reduce global warming.

Jeff Cobb

Jeff Cobb

Jan 25th, 2013 (9:27 am)

lousloot: I guess honest discourse is dead here too.

Talk like this will get you moderated … LOL (intentionally ironic statement. I don’t really mean this.)

Actually, we love honest discourse, and that’s why this site exists. It’s the haters and trolls, off-color speech and disrespect we have issues with (if and when they occur) …

James McQuaid

James McQuaid

Jan 25th, 2013 (9:45 am)

Hi George,

which is a blight on both the Grand Canyon and on Lake Powell

I agree; coal is cleaner than nuclear. We know that air pollution from coal burning is killing people year after year.

The deployment of methane gas capture systems will turn out to be a benefit.

In Lansing, we are fortunate to be served by the best public utility in the world :) Modernization is underway.

The Lansing Board of Water & Light $182 million state-of-the-art cogeneration plant and BWL headquarters will be completed in the second half of 2013. Economists call the project in REO Town a “game-changer” for the REO Town neighborhood and all of mid-Michigan.
    Plus, it is one of the biggest development projects ever in Lansing. The project, which remains on schedule and on budget, is a real model of efficient modernization.

The REO Town cogeneration plant is expected to come online on July 1, 2013. It will use natural gas to produce both electricity and steam, reducing greenhouse gases by 50 percent compared to an old, coal-fired plant currently producing steam. The BWL will burn 139,000 fewer tons of coal per year once the aging and expensive Moores Park plant is closed.

James McQuaid

James McQuaid

Jan 25th, 2013 (9:46 am)

Hi George,

which is a blight on both the Grand Canyon and on Lake Powell

I agree; nuclear is cleaner than coal. We know that air pollution from coal burning is killing people year after year.

The deployment of methane gas capture systems will turn out to be a benefit.

Jim Mbongo

Jim Mbongo

Jan 25th, 2013 (9:54 am)

I read the piece in Green Car Reports’ Website yesterday. Even though GM sold more than 30 thousand Volts in 2012, John Voelcker is still critical of GM and the Volt.
    jim.

Steve

Steve

Jan 25th, 2013 (9:57 am)

Dave G: I thought the Volt and Ampera shared the same exact power train.Has this changed?

I thought that too. Except for minor cosmetic and safety features for the foreign markets, I thought they were virtually identical.

Ross

Ross

Jan 25th, 2013 (9:58 am)

I’m with your thinking Roy,

I muse a number of “what ifs”

What if GM did nothing more then add the name “Buick” to the Ampera and sold it here in the USA.

It would attract at least a small number of people that liked the styling, the novelty, or Buick purists.

What if GM made the modest tooling costs to make a small El Camino such as the 1982-1984 Dogde Rampage like I have. Nothing more then an Omni platform for their sub series the Laser but with stampings for a small unit body pick up. VW did this with the micro bus and its pick up variation.

Ross

Steve

Steve

Jan 25th, 2013 (10:03 am)

kdawg: I think he was talking about the windmill.

Steve

Steve

Jan 25th, 2013 (10:06 am)

Windmill placement looks photoshopped and fake.

Jan 25th, 2013 (10:18 am)

Ross:

Ross

Yeh, remember the Corvair station wagon!! What a classic!

Jan 25th, 2013 (10:20 am)

James McQuaid,

Nice plant. Is it a GE combined cycle.?

Jan 25th, 2013 (10:27 am)

The photos remind me of the small oil field across the street from my house. The Tesla was parked on the street while the water heater was being replaced. Perfect time to snap a photo. The city inspector commented how oil is oozing up in some of the backyards (not mine) and residents are suing. Many Southern California residential hill top locations were oil fields for many years and continue to be with underground pumping equipment.

BBdsHR_CAAEN7XA

Steverino

Steverino

Jan 25th, 2013 (10:35 am)

You get a tow eye with the Ampera. Can I just get that part? Haha :)

Jan 25th, 2013 (10:39 am)

I wish to remind some here that the name “windmill” is incorrect, because they don’t mill any wind. And it the past they were used to mill grain. In Holland (Netherlands) they pump water to keep the land dry because it was under water.

The correct name is a wind turbine/generator that convert the kinetic energy of the wind to a rotary mechanical energy (turbine) and then convert that to electrical energy (generator).

BLIND GUY

BLIND GUY

Jan 25th, 2013 (10:51 am)

I think I like the style of the Ampera better but I’m not sure my wife could get use to driving on the right side of the car ;) .
    I think the Gen. II changes will be the right time to add more models and push the global market. I think the ELR in its current form is a mistake. In retrospect, I also think launching the Gen. I Volt as far as they did globally may have been a mistake as well. IMO the Gen. II Voltec w/ more models can’t get here soon enough and that’s when the big push should come JMO.

Jan 25th, 2013 (11:33 am)

George S. Bower: Did you see where the EPA gave that POS coal plant at Lake Powell many more years to clean up it’s act! Then 2 of Arizona’s politicians stood up and proclaimed how silly it would be to impose any stricter emission regs on this plants. which is a blight on both the Grand Canyon and on Lake Powell.

Sounds good to me. Some people in Page, AZ may complain, but a nuclear power plant would have much lower health risks than the current coal plant.

Here’s something I’ve observed: When most people evaluate the risk of something new, they fail to compare the risk of the status quo. In many cases, people choose the more risky path, simply because they know it better.

Jan 25th, 2013 (11:34 am)

kdawg: Dave G: I thought the Volt and Ampera shared the same exact power train. Has this changed?

I think he was talking about the windmill.

Ah, got it. Thanks.

Darius

Darius

Jan 25th, 2013 (11:41 am)

James McQuaid:
    Hi George,

I agree; coal is cleaner than nuclear.

Jan 25th, 2013 (11:50 am)

Steve: The car doesn’t know or care where the electricity comes from. We all know what a wind turbine is. The comment about it is just an opportunity to confuse the issue.

What? Now you are confusing me. In my post to Dave, I was clarifying that Jeff was talking about the windmill and he was not saying the Ampera has a different drive-train than the Volt.

CaliVolt

CaliVolt

Jan 25th, 2013 (11:51 am)

Although quite happy with my Volt (#136), I do like the more aggressive Ampera styling. If Ampera styling, or even better the Concept styling, were available here in the US in Dec 2010, I would have chose them.
    Fun to think about what if’s.

pjkPA

pjkPA

Jan 25th, 2013 (11:54 am)

“in the face also of opposition, ignorance and indifference.”
    Try a $20,000 tariff in all major car markets like Japan UK Korea etc.
    I guess you don’t think that hurts sails… you didn’t mention it.
    I know… I did see some Toyota adds on this site… can’t “offend” any of your clients.

Jan 25th, 2013 (11:57 am)

James McQuaid: In Lansing, we are fortunate to be served by the best public utility in the world Modernization is underway.

Article

“I get calls now routinely from my pals around the country telling me how smart I was to build this power plant,” Lark said in an interview. “The reason they think I’m so smart is because gas was selling at around 7 or 8 bucks … a million BTUs or a thousand cubic feet. … It’s under $3 now. But I’ve got to tell you, that’s not why I built the plant. …”

Chris C.

Chris C.

Jan 25th, 2013 (12:16 pm)

Kent

Kent

Jan 25th, 2013 (12:18 pm)

CaliVolt:

Simple answer: 2013/2014 Volt.

My wife drove an early-2012 Volt on her 40 mile commute and sometimes the ICE would kick in near the last few miles. We solved this problem with the 2013 Volt.

Jan 25th, 2013 (12:29 pm)

Ross: GM itself, did this extensively with the Corvair series for those of you old enough to remember.

Alas, I am old enough to remember, LOL. With the neat ramp on the side and the sort of cabover look. VERY cool. +1

Jan 25th, 2013 (12:30 pm)

Chris C.: This article should be corrected to say that these are 2012 sales numbers (which I assume they are) and not cumulative for all time.

Wiki has some #’s but they are dated for Europe. Here’s a pic, but you can go to wiki to get better #’s. Basically if you factor in the last few months of 2012, you are between 39,000 and 40,000 cars.

Sales2012_zps58e6d91b.jpg

Jan 25th, 2013 (12:30 pm)

CaliVolt:
    Although quite happy with my Volt (#136), I do like the more aggressive Ampera styling.If Ampera styling, or even better the Concept styling, were available here in the US in Dec 2010, I would have chose them.
    Fun to think about what if’s.

===========================================

There are not all that many available choices that meet your spec. So what are you looking at for the Volt replacement? Tesla or Leaf? Just curious….

But if I really had a choice, it would be for GM to get moving and get the MPV5 out on the road!!!!

JMHO

C-5277

Jan 25th, 2013 (12:40 pm)

George S. Bower: I’d definitely go w/ the Ampera. I like its styling more!

Jim I: As to the Volt vs Ampera question, I do like the looks of the Ampera, but it is a moot point as the Ampera is not available here in the USA.

You know, I always loved the pictures of the new “sport wheels” when they came out. And couldn’t wait until they were available for when I ordered my Volt. I ended up getting the polished aluminum wheels since that was what was on the Volt that arrived, and I’m glad I did. The Volts at the Detroit Auto Show had the sport rims, and I did not like the look. The black painted on there, looked like, well, like someone just painted some black on there. IMO the polished aluminum wheels are much better looking in the real world.

I like the solid grille of the Volt more, for its distinctness.

I do think the back end of the Ampera is sportier.

50/50 on the droopy headlights. Maybe if they had LED’s in them.

Zod

Zod

Jan 25th, 2013 (12:54 pm)

“Ampera with a far less powerful but more treehugger friendly energy generator (windmill in photo) similarly and just as symbolically placed.”

Actually, nuclear is more treehugger friendly in many ways, even if some of the more non-scientific treehugger’s don’t realize it yet. But that’s splitting hairs, they are both great sources and can work together (e.g. wind can’t produce base load power).

Jan 25th, 2013 (1:01 pm)

Give me a Volt any day. The Bowtie in the front says it all for me.

Jan 25th, 2013 (1:05 pm)

Noel Park:
    Give me a Volt any day.The Bowtie in the front says it all for me.

No edit function today? Sorry about the typo at #43. “on” the front, LOL.

Jan 25th, 2013 (1:56 pm)

[...]“This is not news to jump up and down about if you’re a Volt fan[...]”

Jeff Cobb-

What?

30,090 Amazing Chevy Volt, Opel Ampera, Vauxhall Ampera, Holden Volt, European Volt Extended Range Electric Vehicles Built in Hamtramck, Michigan, and sold worldwide?

I am way beyond Jumping Up and Down! Beyond my wildest expectations!

From Vaporware just 6 years ago to 30,090 world wide in 2012-

Over 203,594,000 million miles driven- North America, of which over 125,584,100 miles driven have been all electric, saving over 6,667,600 gallons of gas… wow

Source- Onstar Data Dump- Chevrolet.com/Volt

Remember the deliberate Beta Test deployment in just 7 markets- USA, between December of 2010 and the end of July, 2011. Not available to purchase in any other state as GM/ Chevrolet slowly rolled out the customer support Infrastructure/ Service and Telematics.

While MY2011 Demo/ Training Volts were slowly arriving at Chevy Dealers nationwide these machines could NOT be sold and had to be retained for a full 6 months in inventory- strictly controlled-

August, 2011 saw additional handful of states on the east coast, west coast and Hawaii come into Volt Dealer Certification-

Not until September, 2011 could a Dealer in North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida sell a Volt as NEW as they were brought into the fold.

Finally, November, 2011 saw the Volt available for retail sale, just 13+ months ago, in the remaining 24 or so states in the middle of the country- Nationwide.

By early December, 2011, just 5 weeks after full Volt Retail Sales on a national scale Chevrolet released ALL Demo/ Training Volt’s were released for immediate sale.

See graph below-

Not in my wildest expectations could I have believed that we would see over 30,000 sold in MY2012.

What a thrill!

By the way Jeff Cobb-

While that Ampera is a real looker, my Vote is for the Amazing Chevy Volt EREV- I Volted!

Best-

Sundance Chevrolet-

Chris

Chris

Jan 25th, 2013 (2:40 pm)

Even if sales remain fairly flat from here on out in the U.S. I would expect a year over year growth rate of about 20% based on recent months performances. Of course, that won’t ensure a gen II. Realistically, I’d love to see the Volt hit 40K in U.S. sales this year. Conversely, if it doesn’t break the 100K barrier…no one seems to care.

Jeff Cobb

Jeff Cobb

Jan 25th, 2013 (2:47 pm)

Chris C.:

It says it on the second paragraph:

“This news comes via Green Car Reports which says the number of Volts sold in Canada added to 1,225 units for all of 2012, and Volts sold in Europe plus Australia plus the (really) few in China added to 111 units.”

Second reference was to those who know, the “60,000″ figure was a projection not for all time, but 2012.

“It was not the 60,000 once upon a time stated as a goal”

I think it is pretty plain this is not a cumulative tally.

Jeff Cobb

Jeff Cobb

Jan 25th, 2013 (2:49 pm)

Thomas J. Thias: [...]“This is not news to jump up and down about if you’re a Volt fan[...]”

Jeff Cobb-

What?

I am way beyond Jumping Up and Down! Beyond my wildest expectations!

Please do not begin to paint me as a negative person on the Volt.

The news “not to jump up and down about” is 111 Volts outside the U.S., not so much 30,000 units globally.

Read the rest of it! … Do not snatch a comment out of context then go on a long raving commentary, repeating at least one of the points I made in the process.

(RE: “From Vaporware just 6 years ago to 30,090 world wide in 2012-” )

How is that much different than the point I made? … (RE: “The very fact the Volt exists is remarkable …”)

The rest of the comment you took out of context:

“… but it’s not bad either. The very fact the Volt exists is remarkable, and 30,090 more of it and its sister went out, and we know Volt owners are statistically among the most satisfied, spreading the word to the curious in the face also of opposition, ignorance and indifference.”

What is your point Thomas J. Thias?

I did not even have to write this, but wanted something here for you folks. I did this after midnight on my time, and unlike you, I have zero financial compensation wrapped up in my writing about the Volt here. My main job is HybridCars.com.

Please spare me your enthusiasm when you come here and launch a long tirade on my piece. Thanks.

Jan 25th, 2013 (3:00 pm)

Thomas J. Thias,

Thomas – how many Volts has Sundance sold?

Jan 25th, 2013 (3:48 pm)

Jeff Cobb: Please do not begin to paint me as a negative person on the Volt.

FWIW, the thought never crossed my mind. I liked your article and I thought that his positive spin just added to the whole thread. I seriously doubt that anybody here sees you as a negative person on the Volt. Quite the contrary would be my thought. Probably Thomas included would be my guess. Just smile and keep up the good work.

Jan 25th, 2013 (4:17 pm)

CaliVolt: When I replace my 2011 at the end of the year as it comes off lease, I will be looking for something with at least 40 EPA miles all electric range (AER) – my generator often comes on in the last few miles of my 44 mile commute.

Just to put that in persepctive, your daily commute uses around 0.75 gallons of gas per week, so that’s just under 300 miles per gallon. Not bad at all.

The 2013 Volt has increased from 35 to 38 miles of all-electric range.

Jan 25th, 2013 (5:03 pm)

kdawg:
    Thomas J. Thias,

Thomas – how many Volts has Sundance sold?

In the 26 months that the Volt has been available for retail sale, we have been without the product for about an accumulative 13 months total. Sold Out-

No, were not the Volt Push Powerhouses such as Al Serra Chevrolet, Keys or some of the mega California Dealers, but we do hold our ground. Personally, this has been my greatest satisfaction of my years in the car business with seven Volt’s sipping electrons!

Best-

Sundance Chevrolet

Jan 25th, 2013 (5:35 pm)

I’m pretty sure the 2013 numbers will include a sale in DFW to Loboc!

Coming to this site every day makes me mad that I am so bad with financial matters. Otherwise, I’d have a Volt in my garage right now! (I pay enough taxes to easily receive the full tax credit.)

Sometime around March 2013 looks like. I have been in contact with two dealers, both good.

Jeff and all you Voltiacs keep up the good work on this site. It’s the best place to go for Volt information including GM itself!

Jan 25th, 2013 (5:52 pm)

Jeff Cobb,

My Good Friend Jeff Cobb,

Please accept my apology that my comments, #45, seemed to be aimed at you. In no way was anything that I wrote meant to degrade your information, data and compilation of your well written byline.

I wrote this post to state frankly that I was amazed at the total number of world wide retails for MY2012. This was the first time that I had seen the totals.

Having said this, there are a few of us that are hard core promoters of the Chevy Volt and its variants. Some of us in this group spend our professional and free time pushing the product to the extreme, without shame.

We have fought the antiVolt NaySaying Zombies and their minion, found on webblogs, opinion pieces, TV Cable, political operatives, Talk Radio, News Paper Editorials,Chain Emails, Tweets, and web article comments, nonstop-

Jeff, this has been a war that has been going on for over 6 years now since before even Dr. Lyle Dennis first founded this forum.

To now see that over 30,000 of the MY2012 Voltec Platform Machines have reached the hands of satisfied drivers worldwide, makes all of the passion, early morning troll stomping, facts barking and hyper promoting,…………….well, kinda rewarding and worthwhile-

This forum is open to the public. The history of the Chevrolet Volt, its sales totals and market penetration has been much maligned by those elements mentioned above. Any attempt to teach, educate and promote to the uninformed is strictly to do just that, and in NO WAY meant to upstage or criticize your generous journalistic contributions to this Volt Forum.

Thank You For all you have written, what you wrote today and hopefully all that you will contribute in the future.

We like your stuff!

Other then any commission that I may earn by the sale or leasing of the Amazing Chevy Volt EREV in my day job, I will state emphatically, that I am not compensated in any way for my efforts.

Best-

@amazingchevvolt

AmazingChevyVolt at Aol.com

Jan 25th, 2013 (6:09 pm)

Noel Park:
    Give me a Volt any day.The Bowtie in the front says it all for me.

Well it’s hard to tell a dyed in the wool Chevy guy:)

Jan 25th, 2013 (6:13 pm)

Loboc:
    I’m pretty sure the 2013 numbers will include a sale in DFW to Loboc!

Go Loboc!

Jan 25th, 2013 (6:20 pm)

Loboc,

Please remember my good Loboc that based on your daily driving you may find that you are saving $200.00 a month, $2,400.00 a year, $7,200.00 over 3 years by not buying gas!

…..and that at $3.52 gallon gas-

Them is some serious CASH!

….might make all the difference in the world- It has for me!

Best- My2013 to you!

Jan 25th, 2013 (6:20 pm)

I hope GM will decide that less = more. IOW, lower price per sale, will equal more sales and more overall profit. If I could purchase a Volt for $400/month or less, it would make sense for me. $400 x 72 = $28,800 purchase price. The $7500 doesn’t come off of the financed amount, so it’s nice, but hard for me to count.

Jeff Cobb

Jeff Cobb

Jan 25th, 2013 (6:24 pm)

Thomas J. Thias,

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the note. I have little doubt you genuinely love the Volt, and believe in it.

I like the car too, and like the people here who regularly contribute comments, and that’s why I do what I can here and try to make sure there is a story of some sort. I was busy all day doing other things, had nothing last night, and cast about and was fortunate to find the GCR story and put it up.

I think we had mutual misunderstanding, but that would not be the first time on the Internet. If I sounded harsh, please accept my apologies.

Regards,

Jeff

Jan 25th, 2013 (6:28 pm)

Thomas J. Thias: Regardless of your stated ability with financial matters- Driving by that gas station, wondering what all those people are doing by those boxy things with hoses- In the poring rain…and best, remembering each time that a big portion of your discretionary cash is not being sucked daily down a gas tank-

….might make all the difference in the world- It has for me!

Amen! +1

Jan 25th, 2013 (6:32 pm)

George S. Bower: Well it’s hard to tell a dyed in the wool Chevy guy:)

Thanks. +1

“Buy American, the job you save may be your own” I believe it.

Jan 25th, 2013 (6:58 pm)

Eco_Turbo:

Aah, but there is a way- Ally Bank DOES have a program to reduce the finance amount equal to the $7,500.00 Fed, BUT, and I mean BUT- You can not use the incentivised interest rate such as 0.0 X 60 months.

You can, with this special arrangement, defer the $7,500.00 out of the deal till 2014-

PM Me-

Best-

Sundance Chevrolet

Jan 25th, 2013 (6:58 pm)

Darius: LCA analysis shows that nuclear is cleaner than coal, gas, solar or wind especialy when we talk about advanced IV generation reactors with no nuclear wast.

Yeh and some gen 3′s to start. Passive cooling!!

Use waste for Gen 4 fuel!

Jan 25th, 2013 (7:03 pm)

Thomas J. Thias: Having said this, our total, not counting the two MY2013′s here now on the ground, has surpassed 28 Volts sold or shipped.

Thanks for the feedback.

It’s too bad GM doesn’t list sales by state. I’d be curious to know. Voltstats has a membership map, but I’d still like complete data.

Jan 25th, 2013 (7:24 pm)

Thomas J. Thias,

I’m guessing you’re in sales ;)

Nevertheless, the difference in my situation is around $1700/year vs my current HEMI SUV. The major question is utility. Since I have driven a Volt, I think it will work out.

Ben Bethel

Ben Bethel

Jan 25th, 2013 (7:32 pm)

This was reported in the wrong manner…. someone should say “$x in Chevy Volt Sales So Far” – because I think you just passed the $1B mark, right? That’s more attention getting… some states don’t even have an annual budget of $1B.

Jan 25th, 2013 (7:49 pm)

Eco_Turbo:

I think guys were getting that deal no problem. My deal ended up at 500$/mo which is way high!

Jan 25th, 2013 (7:54 pm)

I agree with Ross and Jim I: GM should bring the Ampera (and other variants) to market in the US and let buyers decide. As long as this doesn’t delay cost reduction, I’d think it would bolster the tech, while providing real market-driven guidance.

By far, the cheapest, quickest thing GM could do in this area is bring the Ampera home as a left-drive Buick.

Having said all this, I’d still go for the Volt.

Jan 25th, 2013 (7:59 pm)

NO EDIT. :-(

Jan 25th, 2013 (8:09 pm)

Jackson,

Yup! 8-(

Jan 25th, 2013 (8:16 pm)

If you dontt make a mistake it dont matter

Mike-o-Matic

Mike-o-Matic

Jan 25th, 2013 (8:59 pm)

Jackson: NO EDIT.

Weird. I was able to edit that post about the QR code I made yesterday. That is, I was able to edit it yesterday. Gone today?

Jan 25th, 2013 (9:01 pm)

Dave G: Sounds good to me.Some people in Page, AZ may complain, but a nuclear power plant would have much lower health risks than the current coal plant.

That’s right. It is a lot like the pre programmed bias against the Volt.

Nuclear gets the bad rap, not because of logic, but because of “FEAR”.

If you look at the numbers the FEAR arguement is just that:

Unfounded fear of nuclear energy.

I’d rather live next door to Palo Verde Nuclear Plant than this coal burner that’s polluting the Grande Canyon and Lake Powell!

Louis Gervais

Louis Gervais

Jan 25th, 2013 (9:19 pm)

I am a proud Volt 2012 owner and I think it’s a great privilege having one. Sure, it’s a little expensive but over a 10 years estimated ownership, it’ll be very cheap considering the price of gas in Québec ( @ $4.95/ us g. ). I do not think Ampera should be available in north america because it doesn’t have the modern and pure look of the Volt. The nose of the Ampera doesn’t cope with the rest of the car. The availability of an Ampera here should be viewed as a failure in the marketing of the Volt. The more Volt nameplates you see, the more it will be recognize and appreciated.

pjkPA

pjkPA

Jan 26th, 2013 (7:55 am)

Eco_Turbo:

Make sure you check all incentives for your location… I didn’t know that in PA there is a $3500 incentive.. actually a check sent to you in less than 6 weeks.. that’s what did it for me… I ended up paying $22,900 for my 2013 Volt after all incentives… I can’t believe I’ve been driving it since Dec22 … used 4 gallons of gas in 800 miles in the dead of winter here in PA.
    Yesterday I drove home from work in 5″ of snow and it did very good. I still find things out about the car daily and it’s been better than expected to own. I took money out of a savings account to cover the 7500 and the 3500 from PA… my payments are $428 per month.. with no interest for 60 months.

Jan 26th, 2013 (9:21 am)

Raymondjram: Anyone who still calls them “windmills” is obsolete and just as antique as the first gas engines which we wish to replace.

Who says we want to replace them? Many of the early gas engine designs that didn’t work so well for regular cars are making their way back as range extenders. Specifically, the external combustion engine may have a long and prosperous future.

As for the term “windmill”, I think everyone knows what it means. For example, people still use the term “feature film”, even though movie camera manufacturers have all stopped making film cameras, and most distribution is now digital.

Jan 26th, 2013 (9:26 am)

pjkPA: I still find things out about the car daily and it’s been better than expected to own.

Seems like a common theme. My expectations were high, and they were exceeded.

Jan 26th, 2013 (10:47 am)

juk: So i’d expect to see a bunch of tiny generators that average about 20kW with peak of about 30kW.

I’m not sure the exact numbers, but yes, I think a less powerful range extender probably makes more sense.

If I know I’m going beyond the all-electric range, I can use Hold Mode to make sure the battery has plenty of power for the trip. So unless I’m driving 100 miles per hour constantly, a less powerful range extender should work very well.

If I expect the trip to be all-electric, but my plans change, I may lose some power, but I’m not stranded. In fact, I would probably use something like Mountain Mode here, which tells the range extender to keep the battery level higher, so any loss in power would probably last only a short while.

juk: Gensets could be initiated manually or linked into the satnav systems to account for mountains and distance.

I like a separate GPS navigation system, for many reasons:
    - They’re 1/10 the price.
    - They’re easier to use.
    - It’s really nice to adjust music or temperature and still see the full map on a separate LCD.
    - You can set your destination while you drive.

Perhaps the best solution would be a simple dial to tell the car how many more miles you expect to drive before the next charge. This way, the software can figure out how best to use the battery with a smaller range extender. The default would say something like “short trip”, which is like the Volt’s current Normal Mode. If you’re driving and get a call that changes your plans, you can adjust the dial as you’re driving.

SpinUp

SpinUp

Jan 26th, 2013 (2:55 pm)

Eco_Turbo, I used a credit card and a home equity line of credit to fund a down payment equal to the rebates I will be getting this April in Colorado ($13,500=7500 federal, and 6000 state). I did this just to keepThis past October was a good month to by a Volt. GM concurrently had BOTH a $2000 instant rebate and 0% financing. I walked out the door with a fully loaded 2013 Volt for ~$27,000. Factor in the value of 0% financing (~$6000) and gas savings and, roughly speaking, I’m looking at a sub $20k car!

In general: I LOVE my Volt! My last two cars were a BMW and an Audi. And so far, after two big road trips, I find this car to be everything I want in a car and more. Many people are really curious and interested in the car. Including Tesla owners! GM needs to just keep up the good work and the car’s reputation will speak for itself. The corporate media hacks that were/are denigrating this car are nothing short of terrorists: economic hit men trying to take out GM for some half-baked ideology that never has and never will make ANY sense to anyone who prefers to live in the evidence-based world.

SpinUp

SpinUp

Jan 26th, 2013 (2:59 pm)

EDIT for my previous post’s 2nd sentence:

“…I did this just to keep my monthly payment low. Though at 0%, if you can afford a higher payment, you’d be silly not to max out the amount you borrow.”

Jan 26th, 2013 (3:26 pm)

SpinUp: The corporate media hacks that were/are denigrating this car are nothing short of terrorists: economic hit men trying to take out GM for some half-baked ideology that never has and never will make ANY sense to anyone who prefers to live in the evidence-based world.

These guys aren’t motivated by ideology. They’re motivated by huge campaign contributions from oil companies. Make no mistake, conservative news outlets are a mouthpiece for big oil.

So that’s why the Volt is repeatedly bashed by conservative media, because it represents the first real threat to big oil.

Tom

Tom

Jan 26th, 2013 (8:20 pm)

Raymondjram,

Relax Raymond.

Windmill, windmill, windmill.

I think the Volt looks better then the Ampera too.

Tall Pete

Tall Pete

Jan 26th, 2013 (11:09 pm)

Louis Gervais:

Hi Louis,

How did the Volt run in the icy cold temperature we had this week ? Care to report about this experience ? The generator must have worked all the time.

This week, we had temperatures of -29 Celsius (-20 F) almost all week long. I didn’t have the time to go to a dealership to test drive a Volt under these conditions but it was my intent. Didn’t find the time.

Anyway, Louis, if you were so inclined to talk about it, I’d appreciate.

Jan 27th, 2013 (7:23 am)

Tall Pete: This week, we had temperatures of -29 Celsius (-20 F) almost all week long. I didn’t have the time to go to a dealership to test drive a Volt under these conditions but it was my intent.

Jan 27th, 2013 (7:25 am)

Eco_Turbo: That would have been a fairly long test drive. Especially if the Volt had been plugged in.

At least if you were wanting to determine battery range.

Jan 27th, 2013 (8:38 am)

Not sure if any of this has been posted here before.

Bloomberg: Cellulosic Biofuel to Surge in 2013 as First Plants Open
    “fuel made from crop waste, wood chips, household trash and other non-food organic sources will reach 9.6 million gallons (36 million liters) in 2013, up from less than 500,000 gallons this year, according to data compiled by the U.S. Energy Information”

DuPont Builds Giant Cellulosic Ethanol Biorefinery in Iowa
    “Once fully operational, the facility will produce 30 million gallons of cellulosic ethanol a year from corn stover residues, a feedstock composed of corn stalks and leaves. The stover will be collected from farms in a 30 mile radius around the new facility.”

Biofuels Digest
    “The world’s most widely read biofuels daily”

Cellulosic Ethanol Headquarters

Advanced biofuels can replace 35% of our gasoline consumption without any effect on food supply. The combination of EREVs and biofuels can completely replace gasoline.

Jan 27th, 2013 (1:42 pm)

Tall Pete: How did the Volt run in the icy cold temperature we had this week ?

We got close to 0°F every night this week, and daytime highs were below 20°F. The Volt’s gas engine came on frequently, but still ran mostly on electricity. The heater works well in Comfort mode. Eco mode is fine above 20°F, especially if you pre-condition before you drive.

Jan 27th, 2013 (2:31 pm)

Dave G: Bloomberg: Cellulosic Biofuel to Surge in 2013 as First Plants Open

DuPont Builds Giant Cellulosic Ethanol Biorefinery in Iowa

An EXCELLENT post, Dave! I’ve long believed non-food cellulosic ethanol makes perfect sense as fuel. If Indy 500 cars can all run on E85 (ethanol/gas mi ethanol) with performance and reduced air pollution*, so can ALL motor vehicles! It’s a simple conversion for car/truck manufacturers. I look forward to owning a future Chevy Volt (or other EREV) that burns E85!

*http://fuelfix.com/blog/2012/05/25/ethanol-based-fuel-set-to-make-indy-500-debut/

Jan 27th, 2013 (4:22 pm)

My 2nd sentence above should read (corrections in CAPS): “If Indy 500 cars can all run on E85 (ethanol/gas MIX) with IMPROVED performance and reduced air pollution*,…

Jan 27th, 2013 (5:10 pm)

nasaman,

Seems a perfect use for the variable compression ratio engine Saab developed years ago. One could use low octane gasoline all the way up to E100 in the same engine.

Jan 27th, 2013 (6:03 pm)

nasaman: I’ve long believed non-food cellulosic ethanol makes perfect sense as fuel.

Many people seem to be looking for that one “silver bullet” solution that will solve all of our energy problems. Around 10 years ago, studies found that cellulosic ethanol will never be able to replace 100% of our gasoline consumption without seriously affecting our food supply. At that point, many people started bashing ethanol because it didn’t fit their one “silver bullet” solution mindset.

I think we should all wake up and realize that no one single “silver bullet” solution exists. It’s going to take multiple solutions to completely solve our energy problems.

Cellulosic ethanol can replace 35% of our gasoline consumption, without any affect on food supply. As EREVs progress with more range, they’ll probably replace 80% of our gasoline consumption. So together, EREVs and cellulosic ethanol can completely replace gasoline.

But gasoline is only 44% of our total oil consumption, so we’ll need other solutions as well. For example, 20 years from now, most 18-wheel trucks may be powered by algae bio-diesel. In the mean-time, we may replace diesel with compressed natural gas.

And I’m sure we’ll need a range of other solutions as well. My point is there’s no one solution that will do it all, just as there was no one fossil fuel that did it all.

haroldC

haroldC

Jan 27th, 2013 (6:25 pm)

kdawg,

l’m with you on black wheels.Chrome or polished is such a beautifull sight whether moving or stopped. When l see all the new cars and inthusiasts with black wheels it looks to me like they forgot to send them to the chrome shop, or as a young hot rodder l have painted a few wheels ’cause they were beyond repair and l used them on a trailer……Seems a waste of money at the prices of wheels now. But to each his own, l still liked those chrome Cragar classics……
    haroldC

Charlie H

Charlie H

Jan 27th, 2013 (8:39 pm)

Jackson,

Badge-engineering is one of the things that killed GM. I don’t believe GM will do a Buick Volt unless they can build one that is a real Buick and different enough from the Volt to be a different car altogether. The ELR is like that, different enough (and more) to sell as a Cadillac.